As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Thread to discuss [JRPGs]

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Boo at PS4 first.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    just a reminder that the eiyuden chronicles kickstarter has 14 hours left to go and you should check it out if you haven't yet

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    as much as I'm looking forward to it, the kickstarter tier prices are a little bit high to the point where I'd rather just wait until it comes out

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    as much as I'm looking forward to it, the kickstarter tier prices are a little bit high to the point where I'd rather just wait until it comes out

That and J-KSes don't have the best track record.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    chain attacks in xenoblade is how boop monster snoots. it does take awhile to both learn the mechanics and get access to enough party members skills and gems that you can take on most enemies in a variety of ways. (even *most* of the optional bosses don't require super special strategies just general ones to counter their general different types of bullshit)

I still say the biggest flaw in combat design is forcing you to use and control Shulk through a big chunk of the first half of the game because of the presence of mechon and the fact that shulk is really the only one who can at all handle them for awhile.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I barely used Shulk and could not figure out why Rosemary would not ask to move to Colony 6.
    'Isnt there a place for me to find a boyfriend?' she would whine, and I'm like everything is level 5 what is your problem?!
    I had her hook up with that loser Nic that everyone hated. No poetry bird man for you lady.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I don’t mind playing as Shulk because I think he’s fine to play with if the team’s tank manages to hold aggro. The main issue is that he’s a very linear character; he doesn’t have any alternate build options like the others.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Enlong wrote: »
    I don’t mind playing as Shulk because I think he’s fine to play with if the team’s tank manages to hold aggro. The main issue is that he’s a very linear character; he doesn’t have any alternate build options like the others.

Shulk doesn't even need the tank to hold aggro after a point. Endgame/postgame he can just get 100% Monado Speed uptime on himself.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Shulk doesn't even need the tank to hold aggro after a point. Endgame/postgame he can just get 100% Monado Speed uptime on himself.

Not so much that as that he’s got positional effects that he can’t trigger if he’s the main target. I suppose that, in the grand scheme of things, the damage multiplier on Backslash isn’t huge, but it’s nice to have.

But I guess you can plan around getting a Topple and then going for a backslash.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I found. Melia and Riki much more fun to actually play as in my time with the Wii version.

In my Switch game, I’ve only just got Sharla. I really wish she were better.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I cannot stand Riki or any of the Nopon.

Tora gets a pass because he did make Poppi, but the less he talks the better.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    I found. Melia and Riki much more fun to actually play as in my time with the Wii version.

sharla really gets the short end of the stick since you don't need a dedicated healer for most content and her chain attack damage is bad

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options

sharla really gets the short end of the stick since you don't need a dedicated healer for most content and her chain attack damage is bad

If she had one more red and purple art each she'd be fine, too.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

the overheat mechanic should have doubled as a damage move or something

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    It does sorta double as a self-heal? Not that good, though.

Also, Riki is the best Nopon, and his lines are fun.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

the overheat mechanic should have doubled as a damage move or something

My understanding is that it does actually increase her damage as it goes up. She just doesn't have the offense to make use of that.

• Options
    Yes, as the gauge goes up, her arts damage goes up, while her arts healing goes down. Sadly, that seems to be just Arts damage, so you can’t like, hang out at 99% and just use auto attacks for a while.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I'm finding having a healer is pretty important tbqh, so sharla is in my party

• Options
    also noppons are terrible and annoying and I love them

I just got to the noppon tree so I have no clue how far into the game I am, but I've been doing as many sidequests as I can and feel very overleveled

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I just got to the noppon tree so I have no clue how far into the game I am, but I've been doing as many sidequests as I can and feel very overleveled

Is this the Switch version?

If so, Expert Mode allows you to crank your level back down, and stores sidequest EXP instraf of giving it to you immediately.

If not... yeah, that was a problem that the Switch version fixed.

• Options
    Yeah when I played at Wii I actually stopped doing sidequests when I got them because you tremendously outpace the level scaling of enemies if you do that.

Which was also annoying because there are some quests which have a *very* short window before you lose access to them forever.

• Options

If so, Expert Mode allows you to crank your level back down, and stores sidequest EXP instraf of giving it to you immediately.

I'm on switch

also I just got to bird people city and HOLY FUCK HOW ARE THERE SO MANY QUESTS

can't these useless fucks kills some monsters themselves?

• Options

I'm on switch

also I just got to bird people city and HOLY FUCK HOW ARE THERE SO MANY QUESTS

can't these useless fucks kills some monsters themselves?

That would require them to do something beyond snubbing the lesser races so it's out of the question.

• Options
    edited August 2020

I'm finding having a healer is pretty important tbqh, so sharla is in my party

riki's heal is powerful enough to do the job plus he is very good as other things besides that, so she is often overkill

or you can maul the entire game with dunban/shulk/reyn

just having a character with like, 4 heal buttons that also cripples your damage is usually not the play unless you encounter something you just need to straight up outheal

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Pretty much the only time I used Sharla was the rare occasions I entered a new area underleveled. And that basically quit happening about half way through the game.

I didn't use Melia much either because I didn't like playing as her but also the AI just straight up doesn't understand how her kit works.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I will say this regarding Sharla: much of the reason why people don't like her isn't apparent / isn't yet in effect when you first get her. You don't have enough Affinity to make long continuation chains in Chain Attacks in the first place, Reyn/Dunban still have long cooldowns on their topple-locking skills and you don't have extension gems for those statuses, you probably don't have enough Agility from Gems to get Dunban into "can't touch this" mode and he hasn't got the health-drain-on-crit skill, and so on. For a specific band of the early game, having a healer makes you able to kill bosses you wouldn't have been able to with three fighting guys.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    I am the weird person why tries to constantly rotate my party unless I personally dislike a character so that every party member can "have a chance to shine."

• Options
    edited August 2020
    its fun to do that in this game also because of all the post combat dialogue that is pair or trio specific, there are some gems in there, mostly the ones shitting on reyn

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    its fun to do that in this game also because of all the post combat dialogue that is pair or trio specific, there are some gems in there, mostly the ones shitting on reyn

reyn is my strong himbo friend
    Kupi wrote: »
    I will say this regarding Sharla: much of the reason why people don't like her isn't apparent / isn't yet in effect when you first get her. You don't have enough Affinity to make long continuation chains in Chain Attacks in the first place, Reyn/Dunban still have long cooldowns on their topple-locking skills and you don't have extension gems for those statuses, you probably don't have enough Agility from Gems to get Dunban into "can't touch this" mode and he hasn't got the health-drain-on-crit skill, and so on. For a specific band of the early game, having a healer makes you able to kill bosses you wouldn't have been able to with three fighting guys.

this makes a lot more sense then

• Options
    these horrible birds have turned me into a bird racist

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I'm playing Persona 5 Royal right now.

If you find a weapon in a chest that's stronger than what's currently equipped you're given a prompt to equip it immediately, a feature which all JRPGs should steal from now on.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Problem is I still have to go into the equip menu cause I wanna know HOW much better it is

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Problem is I still have to go into the equip menu cause I wanna know HOW much better it is

Also by what metric is it better? It might have more damage but what if the weapon I'm using has more of a sub-stat I want to keep? Not applicable to Persona but JRPG's in general it tends to be more complicated than the big damage number on the weapon.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Also by what metric is it better? It might have more damage but what if the weapon I'm using has more of a sub-stat I want to keep? Not applicable to Persona but JRPG's in general it tends to be more complicated than the big damage number on the weapon.

Games with flat upgrade weapons tend to be pretty boring, it's much better if the gear either builds towards different possible builds or has benefits and drawbacks to consider.

• Options

Games with flat upgrade weapons tend to be pretty boring, it's much better if the gear either builds towards different possible builds or has benefits and drawbacks to consider.

I agree in principle, but there are too many weapons in xenoblade that are just not worth it, and having to go into the menu every 7 minutes to see if this new one that dropped might actually be good

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I agree in principle, but there are too many weapons in xenoblade that are just not worth it, and having to go into the menu every 7 minutes to see if this new one that dropped might actually be good

Yeah if I have to bust out a calculator to figure percentages modifying weapon speed, damage, accuracy, bonuses etc. etc., I'd really rather not, and just have a flat upgrade. You can still have different weapon styles suited to different character builds, and it significantly streamlines the whole process and also significantly the amount of time spent in the menus comparing little red and green numbers, and thus more time enjoying the gameplay.

This discussion has been closed.