As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    For the Kintaro.

1) Artemis may be bugged to not do bonus damage based on skills. It definitely has been in the past bugged so that it does not increase missile skills

2) Consider putting an SRM 4 or 6 on your arm and having that be a separate fire group. SRM's fire fast enough that you don't really need to chain fire. But the accuracy difference in snap aiming between the arm and torso is pretty significant. The arm SRM will make it much easier to swat tanks and VTOL quickly then you can fire the CT weapons for mechs and other large targets.

The problem is if I do anything other than chain fire I overheat super fast.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    For the Kintaro.

1) Artemis may be bugged to not do bonus damage based on skills. It definitely has been in the past bugged so that it does not increase missile skills

2) Consider putting an SRM 4 or 6 on your arm and having that be a separate fire group. SRM's fire fast enough that you don't really need to chain fire. But the accuracy difference in snap aiming between the arm and torso is pretty significant. The arm SRM will make it much easier to swat tanks and VTOL quickly then you can fire the CT weapons for mechs and other large targets.

Chain fire shoots as fast as you click. So you won't overheat slower when chain firing.

Ideally you have

1 SRM for tanks/VTOL. This is the only SRM you shoot at them. So your heat profile vs tanks/VTOL is just one SRM 6/4. If you trim the LRM and some of the ammo you should be able to shoot this indefinitely on single heat sinks. Especially if you have >tier 1 weapons.

2 SRM in the torso. This is the SRM you shoot at mechs. Your heat profile vs MECHS is going to be terrible but that is OK so long as the mech is dead.

In general i would fit as

1 SRM 4 1/2 MLAS (arms, same arm is only one MLAS)
    2 SRM 6 (CT and RT)

2-3 tonnes of ammo. 4 to 6 heat sinks. (depending on number of MLAS/SRM/ammo)

The reason for 1 SRM4 1 MLAS is because the SRM 4 has a much tighter spread than the SRM6 (you could even fit this as 2x SRM2 for a slightly tighter spread even!) so you're less likely to miss missiles when doing this and so more likely to one shot tanks. With the MLAS there to clean up tanks that survive.

If you have 2 MLAS you can use the 2 MLAS for VTOL (but should not for tanks its too much heat).

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    For the Kintaro.

Chain fire shoots as fast as you click. So you won't overheat slower when chain firing.

Which... is why I don't click as fast?

Look I appreciate your suggestion, but it's just not needed right now. I have no problem taking out VTOLs and mechs with the quickness with the setup I have, and no mech within the difficulty I'm fighting in can stand up to me for more than a few seconds. If things go south, I'll consider adding an SRM system to the right arm and then split them into two groups, but as of right now it's just not a problem that needs correcting. I do appreciate the info though!

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Rather interesting MW5 mod just released, "Mercs Reloaded" https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/161

Main thing is a complete rework of the mechlab to be similar to MWO. So allowing changes to engines, armor, structure, cooling, sensors, targeting computers (shot leading reticle), actuators, etc as well as components using multiple crit slots instead of a fixed size. Adds environmental heat effects and a thermal vision mode. Increased mech salvage chance. And enemy force composition changes to have fewer, stronger enemies vs vehicle spam as well as more dangerous turrets.

Though you may want to start a new game. It sounds like it's technically compatible with an existing game, but your mechs won't have engines and you'll need to find someplace to buy them before you can use the mechs again. So you need a lot of spare cash on hand to make it work.

https://youtu.be/uXCLAQGu6wI

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Been playing a bunch of MWO to get ready for my debut as a pro (lol) player when slightly-better-matchmaking comes out :P.

The current "rank 1" matchmaking is such a mess and I was struggling with how to like... win games. Like simultaneously you're more likely to run into someone good with crazy aim, but also half of every team seems to play incredibly scared.

The answer was apparently to switch to a king crab 000 with 6 AC2s. It's so brain-dead to play and it's SO GOOD at punishing bad play. It out brawls bad players who push in to it without enough support, because it's so tankey and the DPS is so high, it suppresses bad players who get scared by the spam and back down when they should be pushing in (or going for a ton of pokes) together. The AC2s are good from super long, so bad snipers who are standing around (or who want to trade shots with like, 2 large lasers) get peppered for free. If our entire team is snipers or scared to go in, it's long range so I can still help. And it feels like folks on my team are more willing to go in hard, or support with damage, when there's a giant pink king crab tanking damage for them. It's just so brain-dead no-skill to play. Just hold left click and stare at people until they die or back down.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I liked nearly everything I read in that synopsis. The one thing I'm not thrilled with: "as well as components using multiple crit slots instead of a fixed size."

Not sure if losing my Care Bear stare chest ER PPCs is a bridge I'm willing to cross.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Holy shit, I thought people were joking by telling PGI to just hire Navid, but it looks like he’s doing a better job with MW5 than they did.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Nah. They removed like... the three best things about MW5 and made the most annoying enemies more annoying.

Some of the things are nice but a lot are... counterproductive

And Navid is probably really shitty to work with (for a variety of reasons that would be abundantly clear if you spend any time on the MW5 discord)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    What 3 best things?

In all honesty, I'm aware of him from MWO, his unit is not exactly known for being friendly and their shared ego is probably visible from the ISS so the idea that he's difficult to work with is not exactly a stretch.

That being said, the various unit discords (and the reddit pages) are all excited about this mod and several people have commented that they're redownloading the game.

• Options
    The enemy unit distribution, the limitations on the mech lab, legged mechs not being gimped forever.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Personally, I really don't mind turrets and vehicles being both abundant and relatively breakable. They sill provide a significant amount of damage, but also help provide the feeling of being in a giant machine of death when you break them in two shots. They're important to the game's scale.

Otherwise you end up with the end of the turn based game, where you have random ass pirate gangs fielding six assaults and five heavies in a mission - except bigger mechs are significantly slower and more annoying to kill in MW5.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MWO:

The PSR reset/zero sum PSR patch has been put on hold after the players got a look at what PGI was planning and called foul.

Now PGI is trying to open a dialogue with the player base about the best way forward.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    MWO:

The PSR reset/zero sum PSR patch has been put on hold after the players got a look at what PGI was planning and called foul.

Now PGI is trying to open a dialogue with the player base about the best way forward.

So... They'll either leave it on the table or implement it later after the fury dies down. Hopefully they'll actually listen work with the players this time.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Seems like they are leaning towards directly competing with your own team for the highest score in order to rank up (regardless of wins or losses). I guess that could potentially end up ranking players by skill about as well as win/loss, maybe even a little faster, but man I guarantee that'll incentivize some toxic behavior.

Right now dealing a ton of spread out damage with LRMs might not be the optimal way to win, but it also wont make your team upset you knocked them out of the top "rank up" spot on the leader-board. Similarly I *already* see folks get mad pretty often about teammates blocking their shots or wandering in front of them... imagine that but now the reduced damage from having to hold their fire is going to effect their ability to rank up. I've yet to see a single person get upset about "kill stealing" in a few months of playing MWO but I bet people will be pissed about it when they need those match score points to rank up... doubly so because the competition is also against your teammates, so the dude who "stole" your kill might have also jumped past you with those points and bumped you down a category.

And that's just folks getting pissy about stuff. As soon as the primary reward is for high-score and not winning, if the goal is to rank up, there's a legit incentive to hinder your team as much as possible so long as it doesn't cause you to get stomped. Ie. Walking in front of a friends line of fire to get a bunch of damage in gets you higher score, and potentially lowers theirs when they shoot you, so, if you're only goal is to rank up, you should do that as much as possible (so long as you don't die from it). If wins don't apply much score (or apply none) that also means playing the objectives are even more useless than they already are, since you can inflate your score by brawling, and dragging the match out longer if your alive lets you pull ahead of the people who are dead and score more points.

All that said I'm not sure there's *any* solution PGI can go with that isn't going to result in a ton of salt from somebody. I don't really think people (in general) like being told they aren't as good as they thought at a thing, and any system that's an accurate (or inaccurate actually!) measure of player skill is going to do that to at least a portion of the player base.

Overall I'm just a bit disappointed we didn't get the reset as planned... I was excited for some completely random chaos matchmaking after the reset, even if it was going to be a bit of a mess.

• Options
    RawrBear wrote: »
    Seems like they are leaning towards directly competing with your own team for the highest score in order to rank up (regardless of wins or losses). I guess that could potentially end up ranking players by skill about as well as win/loss, maybe even a little faster, but man I guarantee that'll incentivize some toxic behavior.

Right now dealing a ton of spread out damage with LRMs might not be the optimal way to win, but it also wont make your team upset you knocked them out of the top "rank up" spot on the leader-board. Similarly I *already* see folks get mad pretty often about teammates blocking their shots or wandering in front of them... imagine that but now the reduced damage from having to hold their fire is going to effect their ability to rank up. I've yet to see a single person get upset about "kill stealing" in a few months of playing MWO but I bet people will be pissed about it when they need those match score points to rank up... doubly so because the competition is also against your teammates, so the dude who "stole" your kill might have also jumped past you with those points and bumped you down a category.

And that's just folks getting pissy about stuff. As soon as the primary reward is for high-score and not winning, if the goal is to rank up, there's a legit incentive to hinder your team as much as possible so long as it doesn't cause you to get stomped. Ie. Walking in front of a friends line of fire to get a bunch of damage in gets you higher score, and potentially lowers theirs when they shoot you, so, if you're only goal is to rank up, you should do that as much as possible (so long as you don't die from it). If wins don't apply much score (or apply none) that also means playing the objectives are even more useless than they already are, since you can inflate your score by brawling, and dragging the match out longer if your alive lets you pull ahead of the people who are dead and score more points.

All that said I'm not sure there's *any* solution PGI can go with that isn't going to result in a ton of salt from somebody. I don't really think people (in general) like being told they aren't as good as they thought at a thing, and any system that's an accurate (or inaccurate actually!) measure of player skill is going to do that to at least a portion of the player base.

Overall I'm just a bit disappointed we didn't get the reset as planned... I was excited for some completely random chaos matchmaking after the reset, even if it was going to be a bit of a mess.

Yeah sorry for my comment. We've all seen the PGI screwups for years now. They have screwed with things like the skill trees when nobody thought they needed changing. Made it a huge priority to resize all the mechs when they had balance problems between Clans and IS for Faction Warfare or heck fixing Faction Warfare at all. So yeah I'm a bit bitter when they say that they're listening to the player base.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    haha fair, I mean, there appears to be a relatively big contingent of folks on the forums who just want exactly what they re-preposed, with just a straight up scoreboard list and individual rank up/down based on total score. So you're not entirely wrong! They are listening to at least some of the community. I just can't see that kind of scoring doing anything but encouraging people to "farm" score however they can and if winning doesn't bump the scores up for your team, why bother winning?

I'm not even really upset aside from kind of looking forward to the shakeup so the last minute cancellation was a bit of a buzzkill. I'm mostly just baffled there's so much support for completely ignoring wins/losses in a team game. I don't think it'd take long for people to realize that fighting out a close hard earned victory and placing "about the middle" of the pack resulting in a small rank down result be a worse "feel" than doing really well but still getting stomped.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    Hm. I found a Gauss hunchback in MW5. The question is what should I try putting that Gauss into. I kinda don't dare give anything with a gauss to the CPU, because they seem to alternate between being gods of hitting everything and just standing in front of a thunderbolt going "dur".

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Ok, who here has suggestions for MW5 Must-Have mods?

edit: The first drop I tried in MW5 I got in a Fang (stay true to the brand) and the KBAM controls felt kinda sluggish. I think I'll actually use HOTAS for the game

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

edit: The first drop I tried in MW5 I got in a Fang (stay true to the brand) and the KBAM controls felt kinda sluggish. I think I'll actually use HOTAS for the game

@Goumindong had a list of mods back on page 26!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Battletech is included in PC Game Pass for June, if anyone is interested in checking it out and haven't yet. (This would have been me, but I bought it 3 weeks ago during a Steam sale).

nusu on
  • Options
    Uh, yikes, that's a leap. So I was doing stuff in rep 7 and 8 areas, with a tonnage of about 230 per mission. Hit an expensive mission in a rep 9 area, and it asks for 315 ton drop. I made a point of keeping a bunch of mediums around and not overload on heavies because I could never drop many of them together, and now I don't have enough tonnage. So that's a thing!

• Options
    I picked up a Rifleman for my team and hoo boy, I like it even better than the Kintaro. I kept the two burst fire AC-5's and removed the large lasers to have 4 MP Lasers instead. Now I'm tearing through dudes just as fast as I was in my Kintaro except at middle to long distance and without the same heat management issues that the Kintaro has. I also bought a Thunderbolt but with all the different weapons systems I've found that it's better off in my allies hands. I'm having too much fun with this Rifleman to pilot anything else right now.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    nusu wrote: »
    Battletech is included in PC Game Pass for June, if anyone is interested in checking it out and haven't yet. (This would have been me, but I bought it 3 weeks ago during a Steam sale).

Sweet!

Although improved from launch, the tutorial is not very good. It leaves out key details (esp. withdrawing and ejecting), and dumps others on you in a wall of text before you need the info.

Don't hesitate to post any questions you have about getting going, mech loadouts, managing your merc company or tricky seeming campaign missions. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I want to share my big dumb pink crab son:
    hoekpyubsihf.jpg
    I managed to jam even more weapons on him for EVEN MORE DPS.
    Plus it goes a BLISTERING FAST 61.8kph with speed tweak.
    fajzsxtmt2pr.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I mostly got my X56 working with MW5 (I started playing it when it came to Xbox Game Pass on PC, kind of relieved I didn't spend money on it). I have zero doubt that I'm even less effective at actually killing and destruction with it, but KBAM feels less like "piloting" a 'Mech and more like telling it where to go and leaving the petty details up to the rest of the control scheme as in War Thunder (let the plane fly for you, just point it in the right direction).

Of course, I sucked at MWO and barely played it, so the last time I played a substantial about of MechWarrior without HOTAS was back during MW2:Mercs, which has particularly simplistic controls overall. Habits are hard to break, especially when you don't want to.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Synthesis wrote: »

I mostly got my X56 working with MW5 (I started playing it when it came to Xbox Game Pass on PC, kind of relieved I didn't spend money on it). I have zero doubt that I'm even less effective at actually killing and destruction with it, but KBAM feels less like "piloting" a 'Mech and more like telling it where to go and leaving the petty details up to the rest of the control scheme as in War Thunder (let the plane fly for you, just point it in the right direction).

Of course, I sucked at MWO and barely played it, so the last time I played a substantial about of MechWarrior without HOTAS was back during MW2:Mercs, which has particularly simplistic controls overall. Habits are hard to break, especially when you don't want to.

That's the thing I miss most about HOTAS control is MW2. The torso twist was absolute to the joystick twist. When you recentered the joystick twist, the torso was pointing forward again. Every single other MW game has had it work differently. The torso just rotates along the track as long as you have the joystick twisted, and stops when you let go. It doesn't recenter. You never get a feel for "This much twist is 45 degrees to the left", you can't really use the torso twist to maintain an accurate bead on an enemy without losing track of your facing.

Maybe turning that off is buried somewhere in the options, or with a mod, I donno. It's never stopped annoying me that's the direction MW3, MW4 and now MW5 took for the torso twist controls.

Namrok on
  • Options
    So, after a long time away from my PC I got some spare time today to play some MW5. I did more Demolition contracts (actually that's all I do now) so I can pilot my Locust. Picked up a third rookie pilot since I have no idea what I'm doing and plopped them into a Firestarter (2ML, 4SL) for another meat shield. I'm so enjoying piloting my 2SRM2, ML Locust that it should be criminal. This is what I was hoping MW5 would be... Just have to stay away from stepping on tanks and running into red pipes and I'm good. The computer can't target me worth squat running full speed (they now ram their Locusts into me just to slow me down) plus my MWO skills are helping me land a lot of SRMs into their bodies. I'm slightly dreading going higher on difficulty missions (running max 15 ones). Did one bad contract where I didn't pay attention and ran over some Farmers to help some scum. Dropped that mission chain after that.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So, after a long time away from my PC I got some spare time today to play some MW5. I did more Demolition contracts (actually that's all I do now) so I can pilot my Locust. Picked up a third rookie pilot since I have no idea what I'm doing and plopped them into a Firestarter (2ML, 4SL) for another meat shield. I'm so enjoying piloting my 2SRM2, ML Locust that it should be criminal. This is what I was hoping MW5 would be... Just have to stay away from stepping on tanks and running into red pipes and I'm good. The computer can't target me worth squat running full speed (they now ram their Locusts into me just to slow me down) plus my MWO skills are helping me land a lot of SRMs into their bodies. I'm slightly dreading going higher on difficulty missions (running max 15 ones). Did one bad contract where I didn't pay attention and ran over some Farmers to help some scum. Dropped that mission chain after that.

Were they farmers, or were they enemy sympathizers?

It sounds like your merc unit needs a better PR rep!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »

Were they farmers, or were they enemy sympathizers?

It sounds like your merc unit needs a better PR rep!

I honestly did not read, just saw cbills and too the job. After that the Farmers hated me and said I was worse than the group that killed the main character's father.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    If it’s the chain I think it is, if you would have gone with the farmers instead they would have given you a Cicada.

So it was a kindness really

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    If it’s the chain I think it is, if you would have gone with the farmers instead they would have given you a Cicada.

So it was a kindness really

Time to rewind time!!!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Were these Capellan farmers?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Were these Capellan farmers?

Sadly I wasn't paying attention... I just saw the end screen where they say you are rotten. Something about scraps?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MW5: So yeah reloaded the save and it was the farmers vs. mercs. I did the farmer side and yeah it gives you the Cicada at the end. @Nobody yeah you are right I should have just stuck it with the Mercs since that Cicada is a pile of Cbills for minimal damage output.

I also discovered why I was having such a hard time with the game. Did you know that if you try to do the game with just 2 mechs it is almost impossible after a while? Especially when I'm piloting a Cent and my partner was piloting the Jenner. I hired two other pilots and now it is so much easier to play! I can even pilot my Cent and not lose an arm. So now my lance is me in the Cent (when I want to do a ton of damage) or in my Locust, Jenner, Firestarter and Javelin. The game is much better now that I'm sharing the damage across 4 mechs rather than 2.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Any Roguetech players here? I was thinking about giving it a go, but I'm daunted by how much stuff is in there. Most of my BT experience is from the base set back in the day, pre-clan, plus the Mechcommander games. So things like missile types, ammo types, battle computers, ferro armor this and light engine that is mostly Greek to me. I watched the start of Bardul's latest Roguetech playthrough and his trip through the mechbay with his starting lance was sort of understandable, but also drawing conclusions that I would not have been able to come to on my own.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I have played BT advanced and Roguetech is just BT advanced on steroids.

Its... more focused on producing “war” type scenarios than mercenary type scenarios. And as a result is hella imbalanced. But if you want to be able to have a more strategic construction of your lance you will need BTA or Roguetech or extended. (With the extra lance size options)

The big changes are

1) shooting at something does not strip evasion pips and so evasion and sensor lock are hella necessary
    2) melee attacks ignore all evasion pips.
    3) so does AoE when not targeting that mech specifically(its weird)

4) tanks are fucking dumb and have artificial durability boosts. (As if you needed another reason to hate fighting tanks)

5) the ability to make any mech into roughly anything makes the primary determinor of mech quality whether or not they have hands(and whether or not those hands are upgradeable). Almost anything else can be made to be like anything else.

The end strategy of the game is super derivative. You want hella fast boys to sensor lock things your BVR snipers kill. Hella vast punch boys to step on tanks and punch other mechs. And BVR snipers/AoE with as much firepower as possible. But its still kind of tactically interesting.

Ultimately i think extended is probably the hardest and most interesting of the mods because there is less mech customization and because evasion pips still get shed when getting shot at

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Gentlemen. I need your help. Months ago when MW5 was new i had a problem with the mechs looking... bad on the ship. But i fixed this issue (somehow?), making all the mechs in the contract launch screen and mechlab crisp and clear, months ago. But now that im starting fresh again the issue has returned. My system is exactly the same as before, so im having problems figuring out exactly what the problem is. Been messing with all the graphics settings to no avail.
    3I1alo7.png

its awful

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Is your Resolution Scale slider set to 100 (or better)? It's right at the top of Graphics options, and I missed it on first glance when I went in looking specifically for it.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Is your Resolution Scale slider set to 100 (or better)? It's right at the top of Graphics options, and I missed it on first glance when I went in looking specifically for it.

yerp. finally got a mission that wasnt snow and everything is grainy and the grass texture is flickering all over the place too. And yes, it does it with or without mods.
    xbCqeFn.jpg

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    You have changed your anti-aliasing setting from TXAA. For some reason the game really doesn't like anything but TXAA. Since you're having trouble figuring it out it may be that the games settings are being overridden

wbBv3fj.png