[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] More 'Mech action than you can shake an UrbanMech at!

13468944

Posts

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    MWO: Well today is the first Oosik Night of 2020. Hopefully there will be stompy bots to be played. I haven't checked the amount of players lately, but hopefully there will be people out there who want to pilot huge robots as well.

    I'd love to join in tonight, but I have some Secret Santa stuff to do that's way overdue. :D

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Betsuni
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    edit 2- There is an entire world of bureaucratic paperwork out there that we know nothing about and I demand satisfaction!

    Boy howdy, is there!

    Come, join me in the greatest joy known in the Battletech universe:

    Pushing Paper
    Goumindong wrote: »
    I had some incorrect heat numbers of my worksheet. So you should either change the heat sink values to .1, .2 or you should re-copy my spreadsheet

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Oy3FUWvs-VGAu23OM2AMp_5QO-xq6VDHos9bX5L74dM/edit?usp=sharing

    Someone else (Onebit on reddit) made another very good calculator which does more or less what mine does but better. It doesn't compare across weapons as well but will let you choose a mech, fit it out, and give you its max alpha strike damage, its max effort firing time, and you can choose your mech to get its weapon slots and available tonnage

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16v5O7o8ok66V1A5xvVcXjUjkTkGtQWfiJyzsDeb5LuE/edit?usp=sharing

    Goug is way ahead in the game of Battletech Bureaucracy.

    Someone has to fix the paper doll

    wbBv3fj.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni Insert Disk 4 and Press Any Key to Continue Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    MWO: Well today is the first Oosik Night of 2020. Hopefully there will be stompy bots to be played. I haven't checked the amount of players lately, but hopefully there will be people out there who want to pilot huge robots as well.

    Player base is still small, I think there’s been a trickle of new people from MW5 (a few people showing up in matches with trial mechs, even in FW).

    Awesome. Glad to see there is still are some playing and maybe new blood.
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    MWO: Well today is the first Oosik Night of 2020. Hopefully there will be stompy bots to be played. I haven't checked the amount of players lately, but hopefully there will be people out there who want to pilot huge robots as well.

    I'd love to join in tonight, but I have some Secret Santa stuff to do that's way overdue. :D

    No worries there hopefully will be lots of other times to drop.

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'll be around for Oosik night!

    wWuzwvJ.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni Insert Disk 4 and Press Any Key to Continue Registered User regular
    @Nobody @Erlkönig TOG and I are in game and on discord. Come join, Oosik Night is live!

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    TOGSolid
  • HeirHeir Registered User regular
    MW5: I noticed when an enemy dropship comes in, my allies start firing at it. Can you take it down before it releases its mechs? Because that would be cool.

    camo_sig2.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Nobody Erlkönig TOG and I are in game and on discord. Come join, Oosik Night is live!

    Unfortunately, my bro seems to have come online early this evening.

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    MW5: I noticed when an enemy dropship comes in, my allies start firing at it. Can you take it down before it releases its mechs? Because that would be cool.

    No. You cannot. Your allies are shooting the mechs inside and being blocked by the dropship

    wbBv3fj.png
    ElvenshaeDixonHeirBigityElbasunuSynthesisnonoffensive
  • BetsuniBetsuni Insert Disk 4 and Press Any Key to Continue Registered User regular
    Thank @TOGSolid for the S7 matches last night. We even had a stock Urbie match that went sideways after TOG ran out of ammo and I blew off his SL. Next week maybe we'll have 4 online for some 2 v 2 matches.

    It was good to pilot a mech.

    Oh and the Annihilator is an OP mech in S7.

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    IoloNobodyElvenshaeH3KnucklesTOGSolidNips
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »
    MW5: I noticed when an enemy dropship comes in, my allies start firing at it. Can you take it down before it releases its mechs? Because that would be cool.

    No. You cannot. Your allies are shooting the mechs inside and being blocked by the dropship

    That's on point for the devs

    ElvenshaeApogeeHefflingGnome-InterruptusSynthesisnonoffensiveOpposingFarce
  • HeirHeir Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »
    MW5: I noticed when an enemy dropship comes in, my allies start firing at it. Can you take it down before it releases its mechs? Because that would be cool.

    No. You cannot. Your allies are shooting the mechs inside and being blocked by the dropship

    Wow...that's both hilarious and feels pretty apparent now that I've played this game for a while.

    camo_sig2.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Your dropship is also similarly invincible and if you hot drop you can stand inside it and let it shoot its lasers and LRMs at enemies

    wbBv3fj.png
    H3KnucklesBigityIoloHeirRanlinExtreaminatus
  • HeirHeir Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Your dropship is also similarly invincible and if you hot drop you can stand inside it and let it shoot its lasers and LRMs at enemies

    TIL that it shoots lasers and LRMs!

    camo_sig2.png
    RanlinGlal
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Now I'm curious how well coded the departure is. Could you take a quick mech with JJs and jog back inside it once its My Planet Needs Me script has triggered I wonder.

    Apogee
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, today I could give another spin to Mechwarrior 5 (since I don't actually own the game, I just can sometimes log in in someone else's account). But this time I have a new graphics card, and boy does it make a difference. Instead of setting everything to low and still getting hiccups (though why this game was more GPU-intensive than literally anything else I own who fucking knows), now I can just set everything to high (Ultra is for suckers and always has been), draw distance to max, all the filters and effects on, and it runs smooth as butter. It's pretty nice.

    I'm still not sure how much I actually like the game, though? Like, going around in big stompy bot is nice, but the play feels kind of... I dunno, flaily? Enemies pop up from all directions out of nowhere, you just kinda run around trying to shoot them.

    Steam ID: Right here.
    H3KnucklesBetsuniGnome-InterruptusTox
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Now I'm curious how well coded the departure is. Could you take a quick mech with JJs and jog back inside it once its My Planet Needs Me script has triggered I wonder.

    If you have actual players in your game, you can sit inside the dropship for the entire duration of a mission. This leads to some awkwardness as a duplicate dropship will swoop on by to pick everybody up at mission completion.

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    ElvenshaeMirkelGlalAegisH3KnucklesBetsuniGnome-InterruptusToxApogee
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    MW5: I don't know why I let AI pilots take a mech out with a Gauss in an arm but I guess fool me once...

    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Heir
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, today I could give another spin to Mechwarrior 5 (since I don't actually own the game, I just can sometimes log in in someone else's account). But this time I have a new graphics card, and boy does it make a difference. Instead of setting everything to low and still getting hiccups (though why this game was more GPU-intensive than literally anything else I own who fucking knows), now I can just set everything to high (Ultra is for suckers and always has been), draw distance to max, all the filters and effects on, and it runs smooth as butter. It's pretty nice.

    I'm still not sure how much I actually like the game, though? Like, going around in big stompy bot is nice, but the play feels kind of... I dunno, flaily? Enemies pop up from all directions out of nowhere, you just kinda run around trying to shoot them.

    It might help to put vsync on. Supposedly the game is uncapped in FPS (and in the UI) and so will slam GPUs to the max simply because workload is uncapped

    wbBv3fj.png
    Heir
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »
    MW5: I noticed when an enemy dropship comes in, my allies start firing at it. Can you take it down before it releases its mechs? Because that would be cool.

    No. You cannot. Your allies are shooting the mechs inside and being blocked by the dropship

    To be fair, I think that's something most Mechwarriors would totally do, even if their weapons had no chance of penetrating the Dropship's armor.

    ElvenshaeNipsBigity
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    I don't know if BE3025CE adds this or if it's in the base game, but I ended up finding a B Laser today which I didn't even know existed.

    It's described as "two large lasers taped together". 16 less damage (61 damage versus 80) than 2 LLs, but 1 less ton, the same slots, same heat.

    I guess it could be useful to headhunt with since it 1 shots a head if it hits it? Also if I only have 1 laser slot, that's a decent amount of damage in a single weapon if I have the tonnage for it.

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    IoloGnome-Interruptus
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    I don't know if BE3025CE adds this or if it's in the base game, but I ended up finding a B Laser today which I didn't even know existed.

    It's described as "two large lasers taped together". 16 less damage (61 damage versus 80) than 2 LLs, but 1 less ton, the same slots, same heat.

    I guess it could be useful to headhunt with since it 1 shots a head if it hits it? Also if I only have 1 laser slot, that's a decent amount of damage in a single weapon if I have the tonnage for it.

    Ah, yes the Binary Laser Cannon. Two great things that don't go great together. Truly an engineering failure for the ages.

    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    MirkelNipsToxHeffling
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    The B-Laser in Battletech is notable however for being an energy weapon that does just enough damage to deal a killing blow on a headshot with a single shot.

    So yes, the heat is ludicrous, but it's still handy on mechs you're using for headshots (unless you have better weapons available, like the AC/10++).

  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    I don't know if BE3025CE adds this or if it's in the base game, but I ended up finding a B Laser today which I didn't even know existed.

    It's described as "two large lasers taped together". 16 less damage (61 damage versus 80) than 2 LLs, but 1 less ton, the same slots, same heat.

    I guess it could be useful to headhunt with since it 1 shots a head if it hits it? Also if I only have 1 laser slot, that's a decent amount of damage in a single weapon if I have the tonnage for it.

    Ah, yes the Binary Laser Cannon. Two great things that don't go great together. Truly an engineering failure for the ages.

    At least until DHS become widely available. After that, it's a Meh-Class weapon that someone desperate (See: low-grade Periphery MechWarriors) can put a hole in a target with. Sometimes, you just need a gun, and you dance with the one ya brought.

    At least in TT. Later in the timeline. When you literally have no better options. And there's LOTS of better options.

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    MW5: It's tiny but it does make me smile to hear the AI mechwarriors cheerlead for me whenever I headcap a mech.

    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    manwiththemachinegunH3KnucklesIoloNipsBetsuniElvenshaeGnome-InterruptusHeirTox
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Got "Saved the Meat" achievement after just 440 hours - that means I eject once every 88 hours or so. Funny enough that last eject was out of pure laziness, was in Prototype IV after having blown up the enemy base but with about a dozen enemies still alive so I ran to the evac point and ejected the guy in Javelin who was 2-3 turns further away than anybody else. Just didn't want to watch all those LRM swarms pummel him I guess.

    IoloNipsBetsuni
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    The only times I've ever ejected are when I'm doing a target acquisition mission and one mech is just a bit too far from the evac point. Better to repair a head than fail the mission.

    Mirkel
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 12
    I usually don't take convoy ambush missions but eventually I forget what I most hate about them and take one. Then invariably this happens:
    53366D047B3F6CC7FA6BAA7CDAA1DDDFD308DC31

    That's turn 2, denial zone on the right and the fastest APC on the left. Not shown are my mechs about a million miles away in the forest. Didn't help that that one skull mission had 100% armor mediums as escorts, the APCs had AC20s and shit and once I started fighting them they called for 2-3 medium mechs as reinforcements (no idea what, I hit WITHDRAW before they entered visual range). Next 1 skull mission I did in the same system had two rusty 20t mechs as the whole OpFor. Truly all 1 skull missions are created equal. :P

    Mirkel on
    OrcaAegisBetsuniNipsGnome-InterruptusToxH3KnucklesGONG-00stopgap
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    I don't know if BE3025CE adds this or if it's in the base game, but I ended up finding a B Laser today which I didn't even know existed.

    It's described as "two large lasers taped together". 16 less damage (61 damage versus 80) than 2 LLs, but 1 less ton, the same slots, same heat.

    I guess it could be useful to headhunt with since it 1 shots a head if it hits it? Also if I only have 1 laser slot, that's a decent amount of damage in a single weapon if I have the tonnage for it.

    Ah, yes the Binary Laser Cannon. Two great things that don't go great together. Truly an engineering failure for the ages.

    At least until DHS become widely available. After that, it's a Meh-Class weapon that someone desperate (See: low-grade Periphery MechWarriors) can put a hole in a target with. Sometimes, you just need a gun, and you dance with the one ya brought.

    At least in TT. Later in the timeline. When you literally have no better options. And there's LOTS of better options.
    Orca wrote: »
    The B-Laser in Battletech is notable however for being an energy weapon that does just enough damage to deal a killing blow on a headshot with a single shot.

    So yes, the heat is ludicrous, but it's still handy on mechs you're using for headshots (unless you have better weapons available, like the AC/10++).

    See also: PPC+Capacitor

    BattleTech KS Thread! | Mech Trade List | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    I don't know if BE3025CE adds this or if it's in the base game, but I ended up finding a B Laser today which I didn't even know existed.

    It's described as "two large lasers taped together". 16 less damage (61 damage versus 80) than 2 LLs, but 1 less ton, the same slots, same heat.

    I guess it could be useful to headhunt with since it 1 shots a head if it hits it? Also if I only have 1 laser slot, that's a decent amount of damage in a single weapon if I have the tonnage for it.

    Ah, yes the Binary Laser Cannon. Two great things that don't go great together. Truly an engineering failure for the ages.

    At least until DHS become widely available. After that, it's a Meh-Class weapon that someone desperate (See: low-grade Periphery MechWarriors) can put a hole in a target with. Sometimes, you just need a gun, and you dance with the one ya brought.

    At least in TT. Later in the timeline. When you literally have no better options. And there's LOTS of better options.
    Orca wrote: »
    The B-Laser in Battletech is notable however for being an energy weapon that does just enough damage to deal a killing blow on a headshot with a single shot.

    So yes, the heat is ludicrous, but it's still handy on mechs you're using for headshots (unless you have better weapons available, like the AC/10++).

    See also: PPC+Capacitor

    Not available in HBS Battletech!

  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Jack of all interests... ...master of noneRegistered User regular
    Capacitors don't come around until pretty late, IIRC. I think there might've been experimental ones during the Star League, but I don't recall seeing much of them until you hit the 3060s or later, so HBS Battletech is a ways off.

    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Capacitors don't come around until pretty late, IIRC. I think there might've been experimental ones during the Star League, but I don't recall seeing much of them until you hit the 3060s or later, so HBS Battletech is a ways off.

    Well, Heavy Metal has lasers that recharge when your mech drags its feet on the carpet to generate static energy, adding something from 3060+ wouldn't be strange at this point.

    H3KnucklesMugsleyNipsApogeenonoffensiveIanator
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Capacitors don't come around until pretty late, IIRC. I think there might've been experimental ones during the Star League, but I don't recall seeing much of them until you hit the 3060s or later, so HBS Battletech is a ways off.

    Well, Heavy Metal has lasers that recharge when your mech drags its feet on the carpet to generate static energy, adding something from 3060+ wouldn't be strange at this point.

    I think technically the coil weapons are charged by the discharge of electricity from when the myomer muscles are relaxed after being flexed by the electrical current from the fusion reactor.

    I spent way too much time trying to theorycraft how they worked

    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    BetsuniElvenshaeH3KnucklesMugsleyNipsIanatorstopgap
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    I was mostly referring to the fact that PPC+Capacitor, like the Binary Laser, was one of the few ways to get an IS energy weapon that could head cap, but there was a notable trade-off in order to do so.

    BattleTech KS Thread! | Mech Trade List | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Capacitors don't come around until pretty late, IIRC. I think there might've been experimental ones during the Star League, but I don't recall seeing much of them until you hit the 3060s or later, so HBS Battletech is a ways off.

    Well, Heavy Metal has lasers that recharge when your mech drags its feet on the carpet to generate static energy, adding something from 3060+ wouldn't be strange at this point.

    I think technically the coil weapons are charged by the discharge of electricity from when the myomer muscles are relaxed after being flexed by the electrical current from the fusion reactor.

    I spent way too much time trying to theorycraft how they worked

    And the sparky feet? :wink:

    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Elvenshae
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Mirkel wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Capacitors don't come around until pretty late, IIRC. I think there might've been experimental ones during the Star League, but I don't recall seeing much of them until you hit the 3060s or later, so HBS Battletech is a ways off.

    Well, Heavy Metal has lasers that recharge when your mech drags its feet on the carpet to generate static energy, adding something from 3060+ wouldn't be strange at this point.

    I think technically the coil weapons are charged by the discharge of electricity from when the myomer muscles are relaxed after being flexed by the electrical current from the fusion reactor.

    I spent way too much time trying to theorycraft how they worked

    And the sparky feet? :wink:

    Everything is better with sparkles, DUH

    NipsIoloExtreaminatus
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    The COIL only works when the mech walks/moves instead of when it jumps because it uses regenerative braking, duh.

    ElvenshaeGnome-InterruptusOrcaBetsuninonoffensiveIanator
  • HeirHeir Registered User regular
    MW5: Is there anywhere I can buy Double Heatsinks? Google brings up something that says there's one industrial sector that does, but doesn't say which one!

    camo_sig2.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    By the way, just thought I'd mention in case anybody was really wanting them...

    MW5 editor tools have just been released today.

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    HeirBetsuniNipsElbasunu
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    MW5: Is there anywhere I can buy Double Heatsinks? Google brings up something that says there's one industrial sector that does, but doesn't say which one!

    You can get them from some hero mechs and sometimes from black markets. Any date after 3028 is more likely to have doubles(ignoring hero mechs)

    wbBv3fj.png
    Heir
  • BetsuniBetsuni Insert Disk 4 and Press Any Key to Continue Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    By the way, just thought I'd mention in case anybody was really wanting them...

    MW5 editor tools have just been released today.

    So what can you edit with it?

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
Sign In or Register to comment.