As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Tigliss wrote: »
    So, 4-RAC2 or 4-UAC2 in a Rifleman?

I run mine vanilla. 4AC2s and 4SL for light suppression (and if my arms get blown off or I run out of ammo, which has happened).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    My Mechs are more RACs than Myomer.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    The 4xRAC2 Raccacrab is good fun if way too toasty and not effective.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Not sure I'd go with 4xRAC/2 or UAC/2s on the RFL-3C anyway. There's just not enough tonnage, even with FF, ES, and XL engine to fit them, enough ammo, and armor to face tank the stuff that's going to be shooting back at you while you've got the bullet hose on them.

I'd probably go with something like this: RFL-3C

Not quite sure there's enough ammo there, you could maybe get another ton stripping armor off the legs and head (probably split it between the AC/2 and RACs), but anymore than that runs into the possibility that the reds realize how much you skipped leg day.

EDIT: Personally I prefer double UAC/10 or double LB-10X on my Rifleman (which is a 3N, but would still apply to the 3C as well).

Nobody on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    4-RAC/2 and fire them separately on a delay so that you always have 3 of them firing at any given time.

4DAKKA4EVA

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I've been skilling up my 80MRM Marauder the past few days and even when the games are bad (as they often are, I think my win ratio has dropped to 1 in 5 since Christmas, thanks matchmaking) it just feels good to say hello to a light in my face with a boom. It's nice to have a Heavy I enjoy as much as my many Mediums.

Also, a literal day after I built this thing and started running it Baradul posts a video with the exact same chassis and build (except 4 small pulses in the arms instead of one medium in the torso).

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Tigliss wrote: »
    So, 4-RAC2 or 4-UAC2 in a Rifleman?
    Well I have an Annihilator that has 4 RAC/2s. My first thought about a Rifleman with the same loadout is, you're not going to be carrying as much ammo, or armor, or have as good an engine, in order to carry them all or even have four be worthwhile.

The heat build-up isn't a problem at all. Basically what you'd want to do is have one arm set on one fire trigger and the other arm set on the other fire trigger. This will let you cycle each arm when the jam bars get too high for one or the other. It'll also let you shoot without wasting ammo around cover, be it yours or your target's. And if you need to alpha strike, RAC/2s have the least drastic ghost heat I've seen from any weapon.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm starting to realize how significant the +Range skills are. They add up to a total of 15%, but even a single percentage gain is big. There's like two weapons in the game that have 100ish range, with most being 200+ on the optimal end. Not even focused on it, with a few points, my Medium Lasers on my Phoenix Hawk have gone from 270 optimal to 304 optimal, and there's still lots of points left to possibly invest (I think I only have like 6 of them).

Range doesn't just mean getting better damage in at distanced fights, but it can definitely translate into damage mitigation when the enemy's return fire falls off. My Rifleman with the four UAC/2s can outrange enemies to the point that their return fire doesn't technically damage it. So I can stand there, baiting out return fire that does nothing to me, if it's a player that doesn't really pay attention to or consider such things.

Increasing range on anything that does 0 damage beyond optimal range is downright crucial, really.

Glal wrote: »
    Increasing range on anything that does 0 damage beyond optimal range is downright crucial, really.
    Yeah some weapon types benefit better than others.

You know what's weird to me? That MWO doesn't have a minimum range thing you can spec into. Battletech has that and it's actually useful as hell.

I just saw how bad the urge to NASCAR gets.

The match I was in just now came down to 2v1, my team in favor. The enemy had a large laser, one of my teammates ran out of ammo, and the other had plenty of UAC/10 shots. And what did the three of them do? The two who could shoot walked in a fucking circle following each other, while the third just kept bodying into the enemy and keeping the match from ending by way of shooting.

I’m fairly certain you could have an open plain with a single traffic cone in the middle, and 99% of MWO players would start running in circles around the cone

I was tooling around in the garage with a Mauler (didn't buy it), the MX90 variant. I gave it 6 HMGs, 2 SRM6s, and a couple of LPLs, along with an XL 325 engine (jumped its speed form a base of 48kph (with a 270) to 58kph VROOM VROOM) largely fucking around. In the testing ground it was shredding all the stationary targets REALLY fast, like stupidly fast. The problem is I know damn well in theory this shit doesn't work in live matches because closing the distance for the HMGs and SRMs to their work isn't viable. My original idea was to basically make it an IS version of my LRM boats; two Artemis LRM20s, the HMGs for incidental close engagements (not being my primary weapon), and two PPCs. On the PPC idea with this ranged version, I was thinking of Heavy PPCs, because the HMGs would have me covered when things get into the dead zone. Though I wouldn't have the SRM backup in that case so maybe it'd be the standard ER PPC for versatile fighting position.

Bleh, whatever. I'm gonna listen to a podcast and go to bed. I'm planning to stream MWO in the morning.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    I’m fairly certain you could have an open plain with a single traffic cone in the middle, and 99% of MWO players would start running in circles around the cone

This isn't just a phenomenon of MWO. I'd posit that any game that allows for circle-strafing will result in similar movement patterns. Ideally (e.g. flat open plane), any given player will circle-strafe to maintain an optimal firing range on a target while causing their own movement to provide a more difficult firing solution to return attacks.

Now, why do teams NASCAR though? Because a coordinated straight push is basically impossible to do correctly in this game, and also creates problems of ranging and firing lanes for mixed-loadout attackers. Also, sitting still (as a team) gives up flanking opportunities to the opponent, therefore: Move somewhere, so pick left or right, then BAM GENTLEMEN START YOUR ENGINES.

It doesn't help that on balance, PGI's map design encourages NASCAR tendencies.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    edited January 2021
    I blame the domination game mode for helping train it. Staying inside the circle while moving naturally leads to nascar behavior. On maps where the domination circle is roughly the center of the map? Yeah, players have now been trained on how to move in the other game modes.

Though the tendency for PGI to build maps with one piece of solid hard cover in the center of the map doesn’t help. Solaris city almost gets it right, the cover in the center needs to be denser.

EDIT: Fixing some phone posting shenanigans that were irritating me.

Nobody on
    Henroid wrote: »
    I was tooling around in the garage with a Mauler (didn't buy it), the MX90 variant. I gave it 6 HMGs, 2 SRM6s, and a couple of LPLs, along with an XL 325 engine (jumped its speed form a base of 48kph (with a 270) to 58kph VROOM VROOM) largely fucking around. In the testing ground it was shredding all the stationary targets REALLY fast, like stupidly fast. The problem is I know damn well in theory this shit doesn't work in live matches because closing the distance for the HMGs and SRMs to their work isn't viable. My original idea was to basically make it an IS version of my LRM boats; two Artemis LRM20s, the HMGs for incidental close engagements (not being my primary weapon), and two PPCs. On the PPC idea with this ranged version, I was thinking of Heavy PPCs, because the HMGs would have me covered when things get into the dead zone. Though I wouldn't have the SRM backup in that case so maybe it'd be the standard ER PPC for versatile fighting position.

Bleh, whatever. I'm gonna listen to a podcast and go to bed. I'm planning to stream MWO in the morning.

I bought a Mauler just to equip it with 2HGauss and 2 ERML (to shoot down UAVs and tickle people). It was @Erlkönig who got me to build it since he was having so much fun with his. Honestly when it works it really works great.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I noticed a new MWO tuber, Madman (Well, ----MADMAN----); anybody been watching his videos? Basically he picks a build, showcases a couple of matches in it, and uploads the video. Basically he just flips record on and then QPs a couple of matches and posts it.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I think I'm done with BT Extended.

managed to methodically grind down a clan star one by one until one mostly undamaged Hellbringer was left.

maneuver a jumper into a point-blank backstab... only to find out apparently clan ECM doesn't get negated by enemies being in range so I have a mech literally adjacent to it who could not target it.

Hellbringer proceeds to melee(!!!) my jumper, twice, because it acted after my jumper and then again at initiative 3 because why the fuck not. Lost the right torso and the clan gauss I worked so hard to get.

Had three other mechs in full LOS, only one could actually target it for dumb ECM reasons. At this point I quit to desktop, utterly defeated.

And this isn't even going into all my other problems with how clans are implemented.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682

I'll be playing for a few hours, or that's the plan. We'll see how much dinner holds because it was volatile. <_<

edited January 2021
    Okay I cut that stream super super short.

I started looking at Black Lanners before cutting. I was looking at the D variant because it has a lot of ballistic and energy points, implying you can outfit it like a brawler. Like there's an implied similarity to my Bushwacker; two missile hardpoints for SRMs, four ballistics for MGs of some sort, and five energy points for pulse or ER lasers of some sort. My initial outfitting attempt with it though was bad; because of its engine grade, letting it run at like 113kph, it has so SO little space for ammo and energy weapon sizes.

There's always the Prime and B variants I guess because they have ECM systems, and they're located in the cockpit so you're basically guaranteed to have the ECM available for the entire match. I'll mess around with it another time, figure out which one I want.

Edit - Shout outs to the original Black Lanner artwork, look how cute it is.

692px-stwkoo6yoafbsp3thn3zhi0ypqao88f.jpg

Henroid on
    Fairly certain Black Lanners aren’t really variant restricted (outside hero specific pods), heads are possible swaps for omnipods, so you can have ECM on any of them.

I think the general CBill build is to either go 6xERML or 6xSPL and 4xERUL (ER micro lasers) both with the ECM head.

I know you can swap omni parts around I just... never consider it and hate breaking the Omni-Set bonuses.

Gotcha, I generally found that So8s weren’t that good for building around outside of a few edge cases (WHK-Prime, HBR-Virago come to mind) because often it’s trying to buff 1-2 hard points (like all the machine gun ROF quirks).

But I can understand the desire to do it from an aesthetic sense.

So I checked my Battletech Game for what I called my mercs... They're "Betsuni's Hamsters" since we're random and run all over the place for no apparent reason.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So I checked my Battletech Game for what I called my mercs... They're "Betsuni's Hamsters" since we're random and run all over the place for no apparent reason.
    Do you also eat your young?

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular

They probably like to crawl into small spaces and get stuck

96058.png?1619393207
    Only when we fail too many missions and morale is low. Good thing we never fail!
    Bullhead wrote: »

They probably like to crawl into small spaces and get stuck

Hey, that Awesome sure looked like it would fit in that alley.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

My MW5 merc Squad was called Your Mercenary Outfit. Because it said to name your mercenary outfit.

Plus: attacking enemy outpost, the commander if the outpost says "Whose pink Atlasi are those filling our buildings with AC rounds!" "It's Your Mercenary Outfit, sir!" "What! We didn't hire mercs to destroy our base!"

monkeykins on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »

My MW5 merc Squad was called Your Mercenary Outfit. Because it said to name your mercenary outfit.

Plus: attacking enemy outpost, the commander if the outpost says "Whose pink Atlasi are those filling our buildings with AC rounds!" "It's Your Mercenary Outfit, sir!" "What! We didn't hire mercs to destroy our base!"

Love it.

Now I kinda want to do House Davy On.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    That's like naming yourself "I never" in Pokemon.

I never got TM25!

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Okay I cut that stream super super short.

I started looking at Black Lanners before cutting. I was looking at the D variant because it has a lot of ballistic and energy points, implying you can outfit it like a brawler. Like there's an implied similarity to my Bushwacker; two missile hardpoints for SRMs, four ballistics for MGs of some sort, and five energy points for pulse or ER lasers of some sort. My initial outfitting attempt with it though was bad; because of its engine grade, letting it run at like 113kph, it has so SO little space for ammo and energy weapon sizes.

There's always the Prime and B variants I guess because they have ECM systems, and they're located in the cockpit so you're basically guaranteed to have the ECM available for the entire match. I'll mess around with it another time, figure out which one I want.

Edit - Shout outs to the original Black Lanner artwork, look how cute it is.
    692px-stwkoo6yoafbsp3thn3zhi0ypqao88f.jpg

I don't recall ever using the Black Lanner in any context, but I remember very well that the Prime had some of the best artwork (by Sam Wood) in the TCG.

Which for a couple expansions there (Mercenaries, Mechwarrior) would not be damning with faint praise.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I never got TM25!

There’s a reason I use this name where I can in games >.>

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'll admit I have been using I never as my name in Among Us.
    • I never was the impostor
    • I never was not the impostor

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited January 2021
    Henroid if you want some company in MWO I work overnights so on the nights I'm off I'm still up, so you can ping me either of the next two days.

Obviously if you don't wanna that's chill and also I've not played in quite a while and was ... not good when I did lol, so either way is all good

Tox on
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I never got TM25!

There’s a reason I use this name where I can in games >.>

Mine is just as funny.

For those who don't know. Betsuni means nothing in Japanese.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    So the Kaiju is fun. Stock Grimm build is definitely better.... but quad HPPCs is pretty funny. It feels kinda like having double heavy gauss but your range is twice as long.

Drawback is that if someone closes inside of 100m you're helpless but I've actually had games where people were *uncomfortable* being that close to a king crab and backed up so I could shoot them again, which was considerate.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Suddenly, I want to make an alt account in MWO named "Moichido." That way, whenever I die, it'll be "X has killed moichido (tr: once more)"

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So I finally managed to play a bit more BattleTech. First mission after the tutorials and the "3 years later" cut scene. Managed to get a travel contract to Bellerophone. Mission was "go to this depot, occupy it, done".

Was easy enough. Had to fight two enemy mechs. Was also easy. Occupied the depot.

And then my drop ship comes in.

And lands on one of my mechs.

The Locust is lost. So is the pilot. What the fuck, drop ship? Can you maybe not do that?

Anyways, game is still alot of fun, but I am still trying to figure out my way around everything.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    So I finally managed to play a bit more BattleTech. First mission after the tutorials and the "3 years later" cut scene. Managed to get a travel contract to Bellerophone. Mission was "go to this depot, occupy it, done".

Was easy enough. Had to fight two enemy mechs. Was also easy. Occupied the depot.

And then my drop ship comes in.

And lands on one of my mechs.

The Locust is lost. So is the pilot. What the fuck, drop ship? Can you maybe not do that?

Anyways, game is still alot of fun, but I am still trying to figure out my way around everything.

FYI, there are definitely markers on the ground designating where dropships will land. So....don't ever stand there. Ever.

Large Flying Objects Have The Right Of Way!

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no