As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Anyone else become immediately concerned when they join a match and a bunch of people are in the same unit on your team? I am finding I lose these more often than not.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Comahawk wrote: »
    Anyone else become immediately concerned when they join a match and a bunch of people are in the same unit on your team? I am finding I lose these more often than not.

There are a lot of units that group up just to meme. I've seen some units just drop in 4xShadow Cats and run around the outside of the map.

If they're all in bad mechs, it's going to suck.

If they're in random mechs, most of them good, you might be okay.

If they're in coordinated builds, that's when magic happens.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Comahawk wrote: »

There are a lot of units that group up just to meme. I've seen some units just drop in 4xShadow Cats and run around the outside of the map.

If they're all in bad mechs, it's going to suck.

If they're in random mechs, most of them good, you might be okay.

If they're in coordinated builds, that's when magic happens.

Now if you see us [OOSK] / [IOSK] drop with you then you can have all of the above!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited February 2021
    One of the most magical group compositions is known as the Mushroom Farm. What is the Mushroom Farm you might ask?

Simple, it's when all 4 players brought a RFL-IIC-2 (the Mushrooms) armed with 6xAC/2 (the Farm).

Nobody wants to weather around 48 DPS, especially in "everybody for themselves" QP. Of course, you have to know where to set up...

Nobody on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Wait. During a match I was playing a couple days ago, people starting saying "NOBODY KILLS THE B33F EXCEPT THE B33F" and it just dawned on me... was I in a game with that dude?

Oh god was he recording?

oh no

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Did you have lots of people cooking themselves to death? It could also have been a reference to that (from his Direstar video).

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I dunno I didn't think to check the player list.

There's been times where I was apparently in matches with known players. Once in a while viewers on my stream will tell me, but I only notice after the fact. Otherwise I'd have a shiiiiiiiiitload of anxiety.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Had someone on my team mention they were recording. Our team got stomped like 2-12.
    Also had a clan that said their previous game they all ran LRM boats and just charged in to brawl and got crushed? We won.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I ended up playing a bunch of rounds against Tex last night.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    A few streamers made tier 5 alts for the current “kill a streamer” event because otherwise people at the lower tiers wouldn’t have many to shoot.

The two alts I know of are “Nuttyrant” (Nuttyrat’s alt), and “Peepeepoopoo” (B33f’s alt)

• RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    One of the most magical group compositions is known as the Mushroom Farm. What is the Mushroom Farm you might ask?

Simple, it's when all 4 players brought a RFL-IIC-2 (the Mushrooms) armed with 6xAC/2 (the Farm).

Nobody wants to weather around 48 DPS, especially in "everybody for themselves" QP. Of course, you have to know where to set up...

I had one of these back right when group queue was added. We all sat in the little castle up the hill on the very edge of tourmaline. The other team couldn't manage to get closer than about 1.5km before we rolled in and cleaned up the wreckage.

I snuck in a good game yesterday with the dakka000. Had to mute a guy who would not stop screaming into his mic about how we better not rotate... like don't worry bro we're gonna go carry. Didn't help that the location he wanted to hold was like... the bottom of the stairs on bog... like.. I get it you hate nascar but maybe don't call for the team to hold an indefensible killbox. Anyway me and like one other guy duo NASCARED the other team to death and we won.

g9rmjrrhfj0l.jpg

I'm not sure I'll ever get tired of sneaking up on people in king crabs. I love this stupid thing so much
    ar3bj4kz8tos.jpg

RawrBear on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Nice paint job. With those eyes it looks like a big goofy grin.

edited February 2021
    Well first drop this afternoon and I get B33f???
    whoops.jpg

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Jesus, you got utterly steamrolled. Not even one kill?

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    figures b33f is a nyanners fan

Orca wrote: »
    Jesus, you got utterly steamrolled. Not even one kill?

Yep, it was a barrel for my team. Spread out on the ridge, get distracted trying to take down the B33f on the other side. The B33f realizes this and pulls back and joins with the whole enemy team in the volcano to push down on the team taking pot shots at the one or two token mechs still left behind. I tried to warn them but they were already screwed.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    12-0s are just too common. I've seen way too many matches where the losing team gets less than 3 kills.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    People who have been tracking their games are reporting around 40% stomp rate (4-8 or worse)

People who have been tracking their games are reporting around 40% stomp rate (4-8 or worse)

Yikes. That says the teams are nowhere near on par, and that isn't fun.

"4-8" ? I don't understand what that means in the context of "or worse" like, there's 12 per side, so I don't understand what "4-8" means there

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    K:D ratios I think

edited February 2021
    Tox wrote: »
    "4-8" ? I don't understand what that means in the context of "or worse" like, there's 12 per side, so I don't understand what "4-8" means there

sorry, I wrote that incorrectly:
    4/12 or worse (ie: 3/12)

Nobody on
    Oh okay, so the observation is 40% of matches involve the losing team scoring 4 kills or fewer.

That's kinda rough.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Haven't played MWO, but it's long TTKs and one life per player per match, right? I'd be surprised if that didn't lead to lopsided matches.

cB557 on
    pre-soup queue (group + solo qp merged) it was allegedly around 30%.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Haven't play MWO, but it's long TTKs and one life per player per match, right? I'd be surprised if that didn't lead to lopsided matches.

Theoretically long TTK.

I played uh, like, a dozen matches tonight? One win (12-1? 12-2?). Every other match was, like, 2-12.

It makes it really fucking hard to get the wins for the event when your team just, like, disintegrates. I mean, I may not have played my best match every game, but whoof.

What's really fun is when you're on the wrong side of a 2-12 stomp, you got one of those kills, did 300+ damage, took 400 damage to bring down, and your end-match screen tells you your pilot rating has decreased. Fuck you, MWO.

Also, Firing Line on Polar Highlands continue to be the absolute fucking worst, OMG, stop voting for that damn map you mouthbreathers.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    In MWO you really only need 2-3 people actually working together to seriously tip the odds. Of course once the numbers start favoring a side it generally snowballs from there.

Not always, but I'd say normally.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Hmm, I think I had an insane win/loss ratio tonight. Ran my ECM Blood Asp but I think everybody knows them and targets my UAC20 (losses with most of the matches I ran in it). Then played a bunch of matches on my Mad Cat Mk. II and lead the team to victory (aka tip of the spear) for three matches. Then switched to my Kit Fox because I was getting tired of running Assaults, 3 more wins. One was the funniest on Grim where our team spread to the 4 corners of the map. I stuck to an Annihilator and Cyclops and waddled with them searching for an enemy blob (they would call for me when one or the other needed the AMS). Oddly the other team did the same so we started picking them off little groups at a time. Last few mechs I finally ran off since I was no longer needed as an AMS shield and got 2 kills. Then switched over to my 7SPL Firestarter. Ok, so when did people forget this many SPL should not be ignored? I took a bunch of wins and lots of KMDDs/Kills with it (one match I got 3 kills and 2 KMDDs).

Guess maybe it pays to not care and just run random mechs that nobody recognizes? Heck, even a Pirate's Bane ignored me while trying to chew on my heavier teammates till he realized he was cherry red and a lucky shot by my teammate took him out. Arctic Cheetah? Targeted. Firestarter? Ignored. I love it!

I only need 3 more kills or KMDDs to finish the weekend event.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I didn't even know a weekend event was going on and apparently I finished all of it. Wee!
    That's nice too because I have been switching all my mech builds around to weird things- my Firestarter has a Heavy PPC, tried a heavy Gauss on my Catapult, bunch of engine swaps...

monkeykins on
    Haven't played MWO, but it's long TTKs and one life per player per match, right? I'd be surprised if that didn't lead to lopsided matches.
    I'd say it's the other way around. Longer TTK means the damage is more evenly distributed (since you survive to pull back and let someone else share armour), so ideally you end up with two teams of worn down mechs before the real kills begin.

However, between them upping the game to 12v12 and the murderball just plain being the optimal strategy 95% of the time, what normally happens is that someone gets out of position, gets targeted by the entire enemy team an dies before they can pull back. Now they're one person down and the odds are already against them for the next push, double so if that was an assault that died. Do this 2-3 times and your team is hosed, if you lose a couple of people without dealing significant damage to the enemy team in the process the match is basically over.

I am also not sure that airstrikes/artillery are actually helping. In theory they should counter the murderball, but in practice what happens is that the team in the lead has the other side pinned down, so the stronger team can walk away from the red smoke unharrassed, while the losing team that's been pinned down either takes a tonne of damage or has to leave cover, both of which just make things worse.

Personally I think they should just take all the offensive consumables (coolshot, airstrike, artillery) out of the game and only leave UAVs. And make those free, because 40k means nothing to a vet, but adds up for new players.

This match, otoh (starts @1:43:01ish) has a somewhat surprise ending

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/927029398?t=1h43m1s

Oh hey, I watched that one live. :D

So I learned my lesson. Never, ever poke the bear. Dropped in my Firestarter this morning and got caught out of position too often (thought since it is early I can play a bit more ambush). When I did play in position the team was too timid and we got rolled. Switched over to my goofier builds and ran my unskilled 2Rocket, 5SPL Flea. 2 matches in and I got 2 wins, but one death and the other I somehow managed to live after staring down the entire team for a while (got my last KMDD needed as well). Switched over to the Kit Fox and ran that a few times more and got more KMDDs and Kills that I didn't need and more wins. Even had one match where I was almost dead yet twisted like Chubby Checkers to manage to limp away without dying and my team came over to clean up.

Also, why is it I run a really funny build and I get a streamer in it saying, "Kill me and get a warhorn." Then watch as the group on the other side just ball up and coordinate against the PUG on the other side. Although they did lose so guess it doesn't always work? I accidentally walked into a airstrike with the unskilled Flea and went from pristine to cherry red in no time. Whoops.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Glal wrote: »
    I'd say it's the other way around. Longer TTK means the damage is more evenly distributed (since you survive to pull back and let someone else share armour), so ideally you end up with two teams of worn down mechs before the real kills begin.

However, between them upping the game to 12v12 and the murderball just plain being the optimal strategy 95% of the time, what normally happens is that someone gets out of position, gets targeted by the entire enemy team an dies before they can pull back. Now they're one person down and the odds are already against them for the next push, double so if that was an assault that died. Do this 2-3 times and your team is hosed, if you lose a couple of people without dealing significant damage to the enemy team in the process the match is basically over.
    I mean yeah, that's basically how it always works with high TTKs and elimination. Damage would be evenly distributed if you were just picking targets completely at random, but you're not. Ideally teams are going to try to focus fire, and longer times to kill make the difference from that focused fire more pronounced.

I don't see how that wouldn't happen in the same game with lower TTK? Now said focused damage takes even less time to kill the target and the snowball happens faster.

Ideally you'd want to increase the overall TTK by reducing the incoming damage (ie, smaller teams to reduce max alpha, more cover on maps where engagements happen to break LOS and avoid indirect damage, etc), making it less punishing to be caught out of position, which is like the #1 killer in MWO. It's why I don't enjoy playing most assaults, they're too slow to retreat when you're caught out, where with a faster mech you can hoof it behind your front line and continue doing your damage from comparative safety.

I cannot get out of Tier 3... I seem to always have the perfect balance of getting good times and getting teams who just scatter and only bring LRM. I really want to like this game, but fuck this is getting frustrating.

The trick is to generally do enough damage and be more useful even when you lose.

Like, right now I'm on a losing streak in my Tier 4 alt, but I'm doing 500-700 damage per match so I keep "losing" upward.

If you consistently do okay damage and (usefully) pop UAVs then you'll either go up, or only drop minimally. Team damage can hurt you a lot if you're near the breaking even point, though.

What is considered okay damage? I've noticed in games that result in a streamrolling I only tend to do 100-200 damage, depending on how quickly the firing line dissolved.

Glal wrote: »
    I don't see how that wouldn't happen in the same game with lower TTK? Now said focused damage takes even less time to kill the target and the snowball happens faster.
    Well, it's like this. If you've got say, a quarter second TTK, and you pop out of cover against an enemy team that wasn't already pointing all their guns at where you were gonna pop out, you've got a real chance of killing at least one of them before they're able to react, line up their shots, and gun you down. But if the TTK is over a second, then that enemy team is probably going to be able to turn and cut you down before you can get a kill.
    Basically, lower TTKs make it more possible to ambush a group and get kills before they're able to actually bring that superior firepower to bear.