As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    So you want a 'mech that's literally incapable of moving? At exorbitant cost?

'Cause that's what you're suggesting.

Sometimes you want a statue that can double as a pillbox

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Perhaps he saw historical documents of an early mech company called "Bandai" building one in the past and wanted to emulate it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I mean, there was a ton of potential that could have been done with MW5, but didn't. Having to hire mechtechs that have their own skills that would open up more customizing options (or being able to train up the techs you do have), enemy forces from across the map who won't beeline straight at you when you attack a position 3+ km away from their patrol area, dropships that won't drop you in the middle of an enemy spawn consisting of Demolishers and heavy/assault mechs without using those turrets on its hull to provide cover fire...

Sadly, that's not the game we got.

EDIT - Alternatively, have an expanded customizing feature when you go to Terra. As it is, it's just another industrial hub system. If you didn't know anything about the Battletech universe, it'd just be like any other system...just in the grey/white territory instead of the other faction colors.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

You know who else wanted to build barely mobile mechs to function as weapon platforms?

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Going to hop into my ERPPC mechs, give it a shot, despite the cooldown they feel so seriously comically broken on the receiving end.

Also, I will now be throwing 100% of my matches on Polar Highlands. I will not be playing that map ever again.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    Nobody wrote: »

You know who else wanted to build barely mobile mechs to function as weapon platforms?

Actually no

no I don't

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    A one Stefan Amaris perhaps rings a bell, with this banger of a concept.

Unfortunately for him, he died! And the SLDF Exiles took the design with them, and turned it into the Stone Rhino during the Clan's Golden Century.

W.R.T. barely-mobile gun platforms, the Wobbies ran with that design even further with the superheavy Omega. And then the Republic with the superheavy Ares series.

Basically: If you ever want to win a wide-ranging conflict, don't design and field anything heavier and less mobile than an Atlas.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options

Unfortunately for him, he died! And the SLDF Exiles took the design with them, and turned it into the Stone Rhino during the Clan's Golden Century.

W.R.T. barely-mobile gun platforms, the Wobbies ran with that design even further with the superheavy Omega. And then the Republic with the superheavy Ares series.

Basically: If you ever want to win a wide-ranging conflict, don't design and field anything heavier and less mobile than an Atlas.

He also was responsible for the Rifleman III

Quad Gauss and a Null Signature System that waddles at 30KPH?

• Options
    edited April 2021

Quad Gauss is imba. I think you could equip a mech with that in MW3 or 4 back in the day? Either way it was a one-hit-kill for even the heaviest mech. Push button, delete opponent.

I think I used it in the last level of whichever game, and like that descriptor, it had exactly enough ammunition for like 1 or 2 shots per opponent on the level and that was it

Orca on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the game limits things based on what is physically possible for a chassis, not cost. Assaults need a minimum engine size to move just like you can't stack two 14-ton weapons in a 25-ton mech

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

Quad Gauss is imba. I think you could equip a mech with that in MW3 or 4 back in the day? Either way it was a one-hit-kill for even the heaviest mech. Push button, delete opponent.

I think I used it in the last level of whichever game, and like that descriptor, it had exactly enough ammunition for like 1 or 2 shots per opponent on the level and that was it

You can also run it on the KDK-3 in MWO.

• Options
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Going to hop into my ERPPC mechs, give it a shot, despite the cooldown they feel so seriously comically broken on the receiving end.

Also, I will now be throwing 100% of my matches on Polar Highlands. I will not be playing that map ever again.

Sadly, I sort of liked it early on in the patch since I kept on going from bright and clean to dark red with one hit from two or three ERPPCs. The best is on Rubellite or Grim when two teams sit and peek and shoot for a long time before engaging. Think that everybody learned to not do that since I see more murder balls these days.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Can also do it in an Annihilator.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Current report (whether you want to believe it or not due to the date it's being posted) is that they are not doing the PTS.

They're going to just push the Cauldron changes live in April.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Is there enough facepalm left? My meter is broken.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

People laugh at the Steiner Scouts when they can outmaneuver most fortifications

Imagine the fear they will have when they finally face a PROPER Assault that can outmaneuver NO fortifications!!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    One person on our team in Polar just now: "Let's all go to J6" and he goes there alone. Starts dying.

Someone peels off to help him. First person dies. Second person starts dying.

Third person peels off to help. Second person dies. Third person starts dying.

etc etc etc until half our team is dead.

AND YET people saw fit to blame me, the LRM boat, for the loss. Even though I got a 616 match score with 1k damage done and 3 solo kills (the only kills).

• Options
    Is there enough facepalm left? My meter is broken.

According to the dev vlog, everybody who they could ask to bring up and monitor the PTS was pulled into the “all hands on deck” for MW5’s impending launch.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    AND YET people saw fit to blame me, the LRM boat, for the loss. Even though I got a 616 match score with 1k damage done and 3 solo kills (the only kills).

Did you vote for Polar? If so, yup, your fault. ;)

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

I never vote for Polar even in an LRM mech. I fucking hate that map and I don't fucking understand how PGI has left it in.

Also the rest of my day has been fucking hell because of all the goddamn NASCAR'ing going on.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

I never vote for Polar even in an LRM mech. I fucking hate that map and I don't fucking understand how PGI has left it in.

Also the rest of my day has been fucking hell because of all the goddamn NASCAR'ing going on.

Have you tried the Linebacker?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Reading the patch notes and pretty much all changes are bringing flagging weapons up to parity with the effective ones. I wonder if they'll take a look at health/armour/defensive skills&quirks to compensate for the gradual power creep, it feels like some of the slower mechs and assaults are already needlessly hard to play due to one bad push getting them killed.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Reading the patch notes and pretty much all changes are bringing flagging weapons up to parity with the effective ones. I wonder if they'll take a look at health/armour/defensive skills&quirks to compensate for the gradual power creep, it feels like some of the slower mechs and assaults are already needlessly hard to play due to one bad push getting them killed.

That’s the plan, they’re going to be addressing agility/scaling/quirks in that order after this is in.

• Options
    Can I get a link to these patch notes?

• Options
  • Options
    Some of those are nice and I wonder how insane the all laser piranha will be now. The changes to the SPL will bring back my Firestarter, Locust and Arctic Cheetah to their previous glory (not that I didn't do that bad in them, but yeah even cooler). Funny that they continue to leave the health of the AC20s as abysmal yet buff the health in the HGauss. I do have to wonder how well my LightPPC Locust will do after this patch since it is funny as is. 6 Light PPC Hunchback? Yeah, why not.

It will be interesting to see what the shakeup will be. I do notice that ATMs were nerfed for close range damage.

I did agree with Nips that not having a promised public test server is a bad move and blaming it on MW5's launch, but this is nothing different than before other than they saying that they got feedback from players. I'm imagining the end off Raiders of the Lost Ark here where they tell Indiana Jones that they have top men working on it, but that's the cynic in me talking.

Overall though reading through their patch notes it is a decent change for a PGI MWO patch.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    A while ago I asked how long NARC beacons last. According to these notes, it was 30 seconds, dropping to 22 in the coming patch. Jesus jumped up Christ that's still powerful as all hell.

• Options
    God I was reading through those notes with the most bloodshot eyes imaginable. The weirdest change I'm going to run into here is Medium Pulse Lasers on the clan side.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Nerfs to artillery, will wonders never cease

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Gotta dump my ATM mechs, I guess. I am not good enough to dance inside optimal range, but I could do OK getting in occasional high damage salvos. Nerfing the optimal damage means I'll have to go to SRM.
    Interesting about the AC buffs, I basically ignored the whole class of weapons previously but I'll have to check them out again once this drops.

Also like the LPPC change. I had given those a try on some light mechs and it never did much.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    Gotta dump my ATM mechs, I guess. I am not good enough to dance inside optimal range, but I could do OK getting in occasional high damage salvos. Nerfing the optimal damage means I'll have to go to SRM.
    Interesting about the AC buffs, I basically ignored the whole class of weapons previously but I'll have to check them out again once this drops.

Also like the LPPC change. I had given those a try on some light mechs and it never did much.

It’s less nerfing of ATMs and more smoothing out their damage.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Some of those are nice and I wonder how insane the all laser piranha will be now. The changes to the SPL will bring back my Firestarter, Locust and Arctic Cheetah to their previous glory (not that I didn't do that bad in them, but yeah even cooler). Funny that they continue to leave the health of the AC20s as abysmal yet buff the health in the HGauss. I do have to wonder how well my LightPPC Locust will do after this patch since it is funny as is. 6 Light PPC Hunchback? Yeah, why not.

It will be interesting to see what the shakeup will be. I do notice that ATMs were nerfed for close range damage.

I did agree with Nips that not having a promised public test server is a bad move and blaming it on MW5's launch, but this is nothing different than before other than they saying that they got feedback from players. I'm imagining the end off Raiders of the Lost Ark here where they tell Indiana Jones that they have top men working on it, but that's the cynic in me talking.

Overall though reading through their patch notes it is a decent change for a PGI MWO patch.

15xMicro-Pulse Piranha might be getting a revisit. Same with 15xER Micro.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »

15xMicro-Pulse Piranha might be getting a revisit. Same with 15xER Micro.

The brawl Nova is going to make a comeback.

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular

I remember peaking over a ledge to take pot shots at a Kodiak in my Hellbringer. Dude was waiting for me, suddenly lost my left torso and arm, quickly scooted back to cover. It was at this point I realized he was a quad gauss Kodiak and I made a stupid mistake.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    did they ever implement a way to gift cbills to people? logged in for the first time in a long while and realized I have more than I'll probably ever use

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    did they ever implement a way to gift cbills to people? logged in for the first time in a long while and realized I have more than I'll probably ever use

Not yet. If you want to be super nice you could gift it to the Oosiks. Otherwise can just hold onto them for later.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    did they ever even add anything you could buy with unit coffers? I know it costs some bucks to invite new people but I dunno if they ever added anything else

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    did they ever even add anything you could buy with unit coffers? I know it costs some bucks to invite new people but I dunno if they ever added anything else

That's all I know we use it for.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    In a better world they could be used to buy “loaner” mechs for new unit members or used to loan money to people starting out.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    The Cauldron's first pass on mech rescale suggestions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rh846esh4o0t50/Mech_rescale_balanced.pdf?dl=0

The TL;DR version:

Mechs that are 20 or 25 tons are mostly at the right size (except the Flea which gets a little larger).

Other mechs are getting reduced anywhere from 3%-16% with an average of a 10% reduction in size, except the Urbie, which doesn't change.

Also, they want the Hellbringer and Nightstar arms addressed to bring them closer to the torso.

Nobody on