As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Continuing to Discuss the [2020 Primary] and Not Other Stuff

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Also, SURPRISE! Turns out that Slack script document was legit and deployed to a few states.

So much for rogue staffers!
    DES MOINES, Iowa — The controversial talking points attacking Elizabeth Warren that Bernie Sanders' campaign deployed were given to teams in at least two early voting states on Friday, three Sanders campaign officials confirmed.

Volunteers and staffers used the script on Saturday while canvassing for votes, meaning the talking points were more official than what Sanders previously suggested after POLITICO reported on the language.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/14/sanders-admits-anti-warren-script-early-states-098786

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Mike, Pete and Joe should primary Trump as Republicans, their records should exclude them from the current version of the Democratic party

Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but as far as I know there are Republicans trying to primary Trump, and the RNC has effectively told them to fuck off, having basically been rolled in together with Trump's reelection campaign.

This is literally impossible.

Also, Trump's support by Republicans is something astronomical from everything I've heard. Something like 90%. Even if his rabid base isn't quite that high, it's picking a fight anyone is likely to lose.

I highly doubt Biden abruptly calling himself a Real Republican is going to draw off enough to matter.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Also, SURPRISE! Turns out that Slack script document was legit and deployed to a few states.

DES MOINES, Iowa — The controversial talking points attacking Elizabeth Warren that Bernie Sanders' campaign deployed were given to teams in at least two early voting states on Friday, three Sanders campaign officials confirmed.

Volunteers and staffers used the script on Saturday while canvassing for votes, meaning the talking points were more official than what Sanders previously suggested after POLITICO reported on the language.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/14/sanders-admits-anti-warren-script-early-states-098786

That broke yesterday before the debate.

There's at least 2 things just from the last few days that Warren might be annoyed with Sanders and want to have a post-debate chat with him about.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It would be amazing if after all that its the stupid script she decides to bring up post debate.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Mike, Pete and Joe should primary Trump as Republicans, their records should exclude them from the current version of the Democratic party

Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but as far as I know there are Republicans trying to primary Trump, and the RNC has effectively told them to fuck off, having basically been rolled in together with Trump's reelection campaign.

This is literally impossible.

Also, Trump's support by Republicans is something astronomical from everything I've heard. Something like 90%. Even if his rabid base isn't quite that high, it's picking a fight anyone is likely to lose.

I highly doubt Biden abruptly calling himself a Real Republican is going to draw off enough to matter.

They are also shutting down primaries last I read in order to stop any embarrassing votes from happening.

The idea that anyone running in this year's Democratic primary would be a Republican of any kind is a hilarious and huge misunderstanding of who most of those candidates are and especially what the Republican party is.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

That broke yesterday before the debate.

There's at least 2 things just from the last few days that Warren might be annoyed with Sanders and want to have a post-debate chat with him about.

And yet interestingly, her supporters aren't going bugnuts apeshit about it on social media!

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Is a call script saying Warren is your second choice and making an argument why your preferred candidate is better an attack?

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    As far as I'm concerned, Sanders may or may not have said something stupid in 2018. The fact that everything was outwardly fine between them from 2018 until this moment where things are coming down to the wire looks suspicious and opportunistic.

Stretching "Believe Women" from "take allegations of sexual misconduct seriously" to "always believe a female politician when she claims her chief rival said something sexist right when it's politically convenient for her campaign" is a gross weaponization of the concept and the plight of sexual assault victims.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    CNN's sources on this are impressively vague. Anonymous sources are usually at least something along the lines of 'senior staff' or similar. This is just two people Warren talked to (which isn't the most horrible sourcing) and two straight-up randos as far as we know.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Ehhh that script is extremely mild, and he has similar scripts for the rest of the candidates as well.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, Sanders may or may not have said something stupid in 2018. The fact that everything was outwardly fine between them from 2018 until this moment where things are coming down to the wire looks suspicious and opportunistic.

Stretching "Believe Women" from "take allegations of sexual misconduct seriously" to "always believe a female politician when she claims her chief rival said something sexist right when it's politically convenient for her campaign" is a gross weaponization of the concept and the plight of sexual assault victims.

It's "suspicious and opportunistic" that she ... commented on a story that was already breaking like a day or something after it dropped?

You are coming in with some strange and unsupported assumptions about where this story started.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I cant believe anyone would really think the Warren campaign wasnt CNNs source.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    My wife and I talked about this. We are/were firmly in the Warren camp. We just like her and feel she does a good job outlining her policies. But I am not a fan about this stuff with what Bernie may or may not have said. I know its mostly her staffers saying things, but it feels like a smear/attack and I really don't like it at all. My wife agrees it feel dirty and oddly timed to come out now that hes leading in a lot of polls.

I'm still Warren #1 and Bernie #2 but man I hope this doesn't hurt either or both of them in the long run.

Hmmm...why is it automatically assumed that the woman made up a smear to attack someone else? Seems just as likely that the Bernie camp leaked it, knowing that the American public always takes the man's side when it comes to "debating" sexism.

I had read that CNN reported the story was leaked by Warren staffer. I'll have to go through the like 37 links I went through the last few days to find that again but I swear I read that somewhere. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

This is what CNN said:
    The description of that meeting is based on the accounts of four people: two people Warren spoke with directly soon after the encounter, and two people familiar with the meeting.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/politics/bernie-sanders-elizabeth-warren-meeting/index.html

Well then I stand corrected (haven't had time to go through my history and find what I recall, but at this point it doesn't matter). I still don't like the timing, but its also possible Warren never meant to say anything about it publicly but her staff decided to say something.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Tox was warned for this.
    I'm too far too the left to participate in these discussions, I guess

You wouldn't be if you'd act like you have even an ounce of awareness of the spectrum of politics in the US and where you stood on it.

Bogart on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I think the contents of the script are less important than it being another thing that was initially denied.

Or Warren could be another clumsy mastermind who is leaking conversations and planting scripts and controlling what the media latches onto.

Prolly 50-50 odds.

• Options

I can't believe anyone would, considering it makes no sense for her campaign to do it.

Literally the only way this theory makes sense is that Warren's campaign is stupid enough to think this will help and also that they leaked it 3rd hand through people not connected to the campaign to CNN so she can start a fight with Sanders during the debate where everyone before hand is saying "they need to take down Biden".

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options

I can't believe anyone would, considering it makes no sense for her campaign to do it.

Literally the only way this theory makes sense is that Warren's campaign is stupid enough to think this will help and also that they leaked it 3rd hand through people not connected to the campaign to CNN so she can start a fight with Sanders during the debate where everyone before hand is saying "they need to take down Biden".

It wouldnt be the first time her campaign did an own goal thinking they had a slam dunk.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I think the contents of the script are less important than it being another thing that was initially denied.

Or Warren could be another clumsy mastermind who is leaking conversations and planting scripts and controlling what the media latches onto.

Prolly 50-50 odds.

Yeah for me the story is less that this was a script, and more the initial denial and then it was confirmed as true.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Plenty of viable suspects in this particular game of Clue.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options

It wouldnt be the first time her campaign did an own goal thinking they had a slam dunk.

Right, so you've literally got no proof. But it's obviously the only answer.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    The absolute fragility some Sanders supporters display from even the suggestion that Bernie may have said something that was construed as sexist by his female colleague is honestly astounding. And then the idea that it's a cynical plot by her campaign to improve her numbers vs Sanders or that it's a straight up fabrication is some next level tone deafness. For all the posters who say Warren's their number two choice after Bernie, some of the trust issues and narratives that are built around her by said people frequently sound like double standard sexism and setting up an excuse to sit out the election if Sanders doesn't win the nomination.

It's just exhausting to read at this point.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

Or ships aren't incredibly tight and people talk and somebody somewhere mentioned or overheard something and it got followed up on.

Not everything has to be plans and schemes.

• Options

CNN sources people close to Warren. I dont see what the point in enganging in this is.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Right like Sanders' denying the script was theirs only whoops 2 days later admitting it WAS theirs after all

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The canvassing script is mild, I agree, but it does seem to indicate that Bernie is willing to go (mildly) critical and focus on electability and then deny he did that. I feel like that's worth taking into account for anybody still on the fence about whether Bernie could have ever said something about women winning when talking to Warren about electability

I ate an engineer
  • Options

Right like Sanders' denying the script was theirs only whoops 2 days later admitting it WAS theirs after all

This has nothing to do with what I said and just seems like a really weird whatabout

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020

CNN sources people close to Warren. I dont see what the point in enganging in this is.

I literally quoted who CNN sourced only a few posts up dude. Stop repeating false information.
    The description of that meeting is based on the accounts of four people: two people Warren spoke with directly soon after the encounter, and two people familiar with the meeting.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/politics/bernie-sanders-elizabeth-warren-meeting/index.html

Your entire theory seems to be based on you not actually reading what was in the initial article.

shryke on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    This whole damn thing annoys me because both of them need to focus on Biden.

Yes, Trump is the long term target, but Biden is the immediate opponent that needs to be taken down. Biden is weak in Iowa and if he underperforms in the first primary state, then he’s weakened in the rest.

Warren or her team should have sat on this until Biden is at least neutralized or campaigning from a weaker position and Sanders needs to not make things worse by lying about it.

All this shit does is help Biden become the candidate.

The second they saw CNN and the rest of these fuckers in the media egging then on, they both should have backed off. Now it’s all everyone is talking about and you got Warren supporters saying Sanders is sexist and Sanders supporters are feeling victimized because of how the debate moderators leaned hard into this.

The media is playing this hard now and Biden is gonna laugh his ass off to Iowa.

This was a strategic blunder.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Warren supporters talk about US sexism and what that does for female politicians all the time. Its one of the primary reasons given for the 2016 loss. To then act like someone saying that women under that environment couldnt win the presidency is being sexist just feels like a serious stretch unless you believe Sanders was actually saying women as a class arent good enough to win due to their own failures as a class, which is beyond parody.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

They didn't actually outright deny it btw. They just did the usual and blamed staffers. It was afaik the Sanders supporters that forwarded the whole "rando in a slack channel" or whatever theory right after the story dropped. The campaign then came forward a day or two later and said "Yeah, it was official and it went out to 2 states and then we pulled it".

• Options

Ehhh that script is extremely mild, and he has similar scripts for the rest of the candidates as well.

Then Bernie shouldn't have lied about it and tried to blame rogue staffers, while his twitter hordes gave Warren's camp shit for rightfully calling him out on it.

• Options
    This whole damn thing annoys me because both of them need to focus on Biden.

Yes, Trump is the long term target, but Biden is the immediate opponent that needs to be taken down. Biden is weak in Iowa and if he underperforms in the first primary state, then he’s weakened in the rest.

Warren or her team should have sat on this until Biden is at least neutralized or campaigning from a weaker position and Sanders needs to not make things worse by lying about it.

All this shit does is help Biden become the candidate.

The second they saw CNN and the rest of these fuckers in the media egging then on, they both should have backed off. Now it’s all everyone is talking about and you got Warren supporters saying Sanders is sexist and Sanders supporters are feeling victimized because of how the debate moderators leaned hard into this.

The media is playing this hard now and Biden is gonna laugh his ass off to Iowa.

This was a strategic blunder.

The story was already blowing up. All Warren's campaign did was confirm that it happened, like many people (again, including people in this thread now complaining about her confirming it) were demanding she do.

Warren and her team couldn't sit on the story, they could only not comment on it. While getting blamed for not commenting on it.

• Options
    The absolute fragility some Sanders supporters display from even the suggestion that Bernie may have said something that was construed as sexist by his female colleague is honestly astounding. And then the idea that it's a cynical plot by her campaign to improve her numbers vs Sanders or that it's a straight up fabrication is some next level tone deafness. For all the posters who say Warren's their number two choice after Bernie, some of the trust issues and narratives that are built around her by said people frequently sound like double standard sexism and setting up an excuse to sit out the election if Sanders doesn't win the nomination.

It's just exhausting to read at this point.

It's almost like populism breeds cults of personality, be it on the right or left!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Warren supporters talk about US sexism and what that does for female politicians all the time. Its one of the primary reasons given for the 2016 loss. To then act like someone saying that women under that environment couldnt win the presidency is being sexist just feels like a serious stretch unless you believe Sanders was actually saying women as a class arent good enough to win due to their own failures as a class, which is beyond parody.

Who are you talking to? On this page, the only person who came close to calling it sexist was Kthulhu, and they were clear to say that it may have been perceived by Warren as sexist.

The issue isn't "Bernie is a big bad sexist", it's "did Bernie say something Warren considered sexist."

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I think it’s worth noting that Sanders outright accused Warren’s staff of lying before Warren herself got involved.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    why yes this does benefit biden

(she's gonna endorse biden)

• Options
    If Warren didn't respond in a timely manner she'd be blamed for letting people drag Sanders when obviously there's no truth to it etc. etc. (see earlier in this thread)

She should never have put herself in this situation by having been in a conversation where the other person said a thing.

Amateur mistake.

• Options

Discussing the way the country's misogyny hurts women candidates is very different from saying "the country will never elect a woman President."

One is a substantive debate on the problems facing women and how to fix it, and the other is a self-perpetuating myth that does nothing to help women.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

Who are you talking to? On this page, the only person who came close to calling it sexist was Kthulhu, and they were clear to say that it may have been perceived by Warren as sexist.

The issue isn't "Bernie is a big bad sexist", it's "did Bernie say something Warren considered sexist."

Im talking about how the story is being played in the media, in part by CNN, but after last night pushed along by the Warren Campaign.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.