As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    So I'm sending my joy cons off to Nintendo tomorrow to fix the drift. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm wondering how long it'll take, if it fixes the issue, etc.

I sent mine in; it took about 6 weeks from submitting the claim to getting them back in my hands.

The packing slip was basically like, "You’re so crazy. These were fine. We did something to them, though! Maybe they're refurbished? Maybe we repaired your originals? Maybe they're new? I guess. we'll. never. know..." They appear to be brand new ones, though, because the buttons all click more like a mechanical keyboard than the ones I sent in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    My first pair (well, just the left one really) started to drift after about a year and I ended up just buying a new set.

The left one on the “new” set is beginning to have occasional drift issues

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I get drift on my left and severe button lag on my right. I look at all my Nintendo controllers from the last 25 years that work fine and think, what is wrong with this picture? I have been dragging my feet about sending them in, since they are my only Switch controllers.

Also, I started playing Bomb Chicken again. I like Bomb Chicken.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

It's one of the reasons that I thought BotW was a great game but a disappointing Zelda. Because the last game following the Zelda formula for me was back in 2011. So it's now been 9 years since I've had that experience. And who knows how much longer it will be before I have that experience again. That's a REALLY long time to go without having that particular experience.

I legit miss that feeling of a Zelda because it's been almost a third of my entire life since I've felt that(just realizing this now). That's insane!

It's funny; when BotW came out, the last game following the Zelda formula for me was back in 1986.
    Axen wrote: »
    I've never head of langriser before. But I've always liked tactics game enough to at least try the demo.

Langrisser is basically just a Fire Emblem clone. I don't mean this in a bad way either. If you like Fire Emblem then Langrisser is an easy recommendation.

They even have a Langrisser mobile game which I rather enjoy too as it is, well, straight up Fire Emblem. It is more Fire Emblem than the Fire Emblem mobile game IMHO.

edit- My favorite part of the Langrisser mobile game is that they simply cleaned up the 90s anime artwork. Giant shouldpads and floating ring thingies for everybody! God I friggin love that artstyle so much, just so much you guys.

Good to hear. I was just worried whether some of the, uh, more notorious elements of FE might be in there.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Ok I have to ask. Am I missing something with Yooka Laylee The Impossible Lair? Because I love 2d platformers, DKC2 is my favorite game. And this just isn't connecting. I can't even really explain why. It just doesn't quite feel right to me.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

It's one of the reasons that I thought BotW was a great game but a disappointing Zelda. Because the last game following the Zelda formula for me was back in 2011. So it's now been 9 years since I've had that experience. And who knows how much longer it will be before I have that experience again. That's a REALLY long time to go without having that particular experience.

I legit miss that feeling of a Zelda because it's been almost a third of my entire life since I've felt that(just realizing this now). That's insane!

It's funny; when BotW came out, the last game following the Zelda formula for me was back in 1986..

Hard to call it much of a formula if it's only 1 game though..

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    Ok I have to ask. Am I missing something with Yooka Laylee The Impossible Lair? Because I love 2d platformers, DKC2 is my favorite game. And this just isn't connecting. I can't even really explain why. It just doesn't quite feel right to me.

Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    You didn't go in expecting expecting the Lair to be possible, did you?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So it only took about 5 months, but seasons 2 and 3 of TellTale's The Walking Dead are out today

https://gonintendo.com/stories/353173-the-walking-dead-season-two-and-the-walking-dead-a-new-frontier

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It's awesome that the Xbox Accessibility Controller made this possible:

nusu on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Looks like Killer Queen Black just got a patch to support 8 player local games. This seemed to be the #1 thing people bitched about, so good that they were able to address it I guess?

http://www.liquidbit.com/posts/hydra-update-jan-21-2020/

Edit: It's also currently 50% off ($9.99) in the eShop.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Now I just need another joycon set, a pro, and 7 friends

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Looks like Killer Queen Black just got a patch to support 8 player local games. This seemed to be the #1 thing people bitched about, so good that they were able to address it I guess?

http://www.liquidbit.com/posts/hydra-update-jan-21-2020/

Edit: It's also currently 50% off ($9.99) in the eShop.

Niiiice that was the big sale price too (actually I think it was like $12?). I got it free using gold coins for the sale price so I'm not bothered by it regardless.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    So is the game basically Duck Game just without the ducks?

• Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    Do we know the file size for Animal Crossing yet? This game demands a system install, so I hope it’s not too huge. My 128 GB card has got to be close to full.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

and a house to play it in, and hookers, and electricity... Thanks, nintendo!

k2n6bdcfgprb.png

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/08/25/how-could-they-do-such-a-thing

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I can totally believe they might dial things back in the next Zelda. BoTW is a huge accomplishment but...like. I seriously have spent an entire day just trying to scale a mountain. Which is both good and bad. Commendable implementation of scale, but...the further I got, the further away everything, every quest, every goal, every means of advancement seemed to get ever more distant and unattainable. I don’t understand how to get stronger. The shrines take a lot of work just to reach, and you don’t actually get more powerful to offset the risks involved in going further. I get that this is very popular and I can tell it’s well designed. But this is quite far from Zelda’s approachability in a lot of ways and I would’ve appreciated a middle ground for those of use who don’t want to grind for so many things just to attempt to attain an extra spirit orb on the path to another heart.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

k2n6bdcfgprb.png

Remember that they're releasing an HD version of that this year.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

k2n6bdcfgprb.png

The comic was funny, but I always felt like the point it is trying to get across (regardless of how serious they were) was wrong.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Do we know the file size for Animal Crossing yet? This game demands a system install, so I hope it’s not too huge. My 128 GB card has got to be close to full.

It's not available to preload yet, so we don't know. I doubt it's bigger than 5 GB though.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

k2n6bdcfgprb.png

The comic was funny, but I always felt like the point it is trying to get across (regardless of how serious they were) was wrong.

Wasn't the point to make fun of the people who complained how much it would cost to play the game because they'd have to buy everything themselves? As opposed to Nintendo's intent that everyone would bring their own gba and cable.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    So is the game basically Duck Game just without the ducks?

I just bought it and haven't tried it yet but my understanding is that it has an extra layer of strategy. You can win a round either by killing the other queen, gathering fruit or riding a snail across the board.

• Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »

k2n6bdcfgprb.png

Wasn't the point to make fun of the people who complained how much it would cost to play the game because they'd have to buy everything themselves? As opposed to Nintendo's intent that everyone would bring their own gba and cable.

My understanding is that the point was to make fun of people complaining about having to buy the peripherals to play multi-player, yes. I think that's a dumb point

Steam profile
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

k2n6bdcfgprb.png

My understanding is that the point was to make fun of people complaining about having to buy the peripherals to play multi-player, yes. I think that's a dumb point

The game was designed completely around using the peripheral set up. There was a handy solution for people who didn't want to experience that game called "not buying it." It's like whining that Guitar Hero shouldn't have been made because of the pricey start required to get the instruments.

That being said, clearly the new version will be redesigned, and if it's better I guess it was dumb to design it the original way. But I tend to think it will lose a massive step, like The World Ends With You did on every non-DS platform.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

k2n6bdcfgprb.png

The game was designed completely around using the peripheral set up. There was a handy solution for people who didn't want to experience that game called "not buying it." It's like whining that Guitar Hero shouldn't have been made because of the pricey start required to get the instruments.

That being said, clearly the new version will be redesigned, and if it's better I guess it was dumb to design it the original way. But I tend to think it will lose a massive step, like The World Ends With You did on every non-DS platform.

The peripheral setup for CC added nothing though, aside from forcing you into using an inferior controller.

• Options

k2n6bdcfgprb.png

I didn't intend to start up a 20-year-old argument, sorry lol. I disagree, but we can let bygones be bygones :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    He's right, though. It's like complaining that buying any multiplayer game somehow forces you to furnish your friends with the means to play it as well. Not too many years later, the DS introduced download play and a number of games had easy to use multiplayer between DSs with only one game purchase. That doesn't mean you're expected to buy DSs for your friends in order to take advantage of it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

k2n6bdcfgprb.png

Honestly the thing is it wasn't a peripheral. It was Gameboy Advances. The idea was never everyone needs to buy gameboys to play the game, it was everyone brings their gameboy so they can play.

It wasn't some huge revolutionary thing, either, it was mostly just a way to have a bunch of information for players without covering the screen wall to wall in UI shit when four players are in the game. Items, materias for use and combine into spells, and the like went on the small screen, so all you had on the main screen was the actual action. Kinda like a DS screen split, really.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    At the time, it was easier than ever to get people who otherwise had no interest in video games to pick up a controller and try Smash Bros and love it. But said people didn't own a Gamecube, much less a controller. They weren't walking in the door with one. Somebody, whether consciously or not, was "expected" to shoulder the financial burden of buying those extra controllers, and it was usually the owner of the Gamecube themselves. And CC was a game that, to boil it right down, required a super custom ~$150 controller (or however much the GBA and cable cost).

I got super lucky with the Gamecube era. I was initially that guy with the Gamecube and 4 controllers. Eventually the "bro jock" of the group actually loved it enough that he bought his own Gamecube. Then one day he gets super into this type of game for whatever reason, and he's actually willing to buy the two GBA's for himself and his girlfriend. I naturally already had one. And we convinced one other friend who was also interested into buying in. As far as I know, none of them ever bought any GBA games ever. Or at the least, they were never the kind of demographic to buy the Pokemon's/Castlevania's/Fire Emblems/ect. Though later on this friend also got into PS2/3/Xbox gaming, mostly the obvious sports and CoD games. But he also became the one who "shouldered the financial burden" of the group when he bought Guitar Hero and extra guitars, and later Rock Band.

Either way, I guess the point of all that is that I'm willing to bet that in any average circle of high school/college friends at that time, there was maybe one person there that actually had a GBA. Two if you're lucky. If you wanted to play this game, you either convinced the others to chip in for the "controllers", or you had to buy them yourselves.

Gaming popularity was kind of in a weird place back then, and continued to be for a while... and it might still somewhat be. Like for example, yeah the DS and 3DS were crazy popular. Yet there are a ton of stories of people taking their systems out in major metropolitan cities looking to get street passes, and coming home with nothing. Yeah it was crazy popular, but also hugely spread out, so whenever you do some localized sample poll, it still looks pretty dang niche when only one or two people out of 20 have it. That's why statements like "The idea was never everyone needs to buy gameboys to play the game, it was everyone brings their gameboy so they can play." don't kind of pan out. Because generally the norm was "The people around me don't have their own gameboys in the first place".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Jesus christ i just wanted to make a joke

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

This thread is especially argumentative for some reason.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

This thread is especially argumentative for some reason.

No it's not!

• Options
    I opened myself up to that one didn't I? lol

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    My favourite thing about FF:CC was that the party picked up treasures during a dungeon and the game decided who got to choose a treasure first by how well you completed your objective. Your objective was on your GBA screen and was hidden from your party members and it could be something like “take the most damage by magic” or “open the most chests” and it would result in party members launching themselves into fireballs or running from fights in order to open a chest while the rest of the party screamed “what are you doing!?” It was fun.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    My favourite thing about FF:CC was that the party picked up treasures during a dungeon and the game decided who got to choose a treasure first by how well you completed your objective. Your objective was on your GBA screen and was hidden from your party members and it could be something like “take the most damage by magic” or “open the most chests” and it would result in party members launching themselves into fireballs or running from fights in order to open a chest while the rest of the party screamed “what are you doing!?” It was fun.

Oh wow I never knew that, that sounds like it'll go over super well here. My interest in the Switch version has dramatically increased now

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »

Oh wow I never knew that, that sounds like it'll go over super well here. My interest in the Switch version has dramatically increased now

Part of what made playing it without a GBA so hard was not knowing what that objective was, since it also helped determine rewards at the end of the dungeons.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
  • Options
    smells like upscaling

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    smells like upscaling

If it's based on Volta like the article claims, that means tensor cores, and that means DLSS like I predicted.

Namrok on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I just look forward to re-posting that comic in a couple of months when FF:CC drops on Switch.

Only now I'll need 3 more Switches (multiplay on one Switch is not hardcore enough).

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear