As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Yeah is it really a waste of life if you were enjoying yourself in the moment? Stardew Valley is one of my favorite games ever and I've yet to make it past 2 years into the game because I just put it down after a while.

Well, it's more than that for me. Lately I've become more and more cognizant of finding myself logging into the same game every day for 5 minutes to an hour to get some daily item, or do the daily quests, whether that amounts to killing boars for bonus gold, or completing some Nightwave objectives on Venus, or shaking all my trees.

The introduction of Nightwave to Warframe completely burned me out on the game really quickly. The fun wasn't necessarily doing the missions, it was the cool goodies you get from the missions after doing them for weeks.

I'd also been playing Elder Scrolls Online for a really long time, maybe the longest I've played anything continuously, not missing a day for daily log in bonus for stretches, and playing expansions when they came out. And it was just too many hours logged. I can't go back to it because I don't want to end up in that loop again.

I've been trying to minimize the number of games that enforce some kind of small daily commitment, and Animal Crossing epitomizes that to me. I'm not sure I have fun tracking down the fossils every day, when the whole reason I'm doing it is to one day have an awesome perfect museum. How much fun is that really, at the end of the day? Everybody's got their own answer, I guess.

With your example of Stardew, that's not a game with a real time element, so I don't have to commit to anything daily, even if I do end up playing it daily for a while. I can pick it back up at any time, and also play as long as I like, no 24 hour cooldown or anything.

Yeah that's MMO syndrome and I hate it.

Not just MMOs, most games with an online component have this now. Like, The Division 2 and Battlefront 2 have daily tasks and one is a GaaS and one is just a multiplayer shooter.

I’ve been gravitating back to purely offline games to get away from it.

They call them tasks; I call them chores.

I solve this by ignoring them and doing what I want. Ever since WoW introduced dailies, games have been picking this concept up.

The problem is when a game decides daily chores are the endgame content.

I think Guild Wars 2 requires you to do daily stuff for 9 to 12 days in order to get your flying dragon mount.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Yeah is it really a waste of life if you were enjoying yourself in the moment? Stardew Valley is one of my favorite games ever and I've yet to make it past 2 years into the game because I just put it down after a while.

Well, it's more than that for me. Lately I've become more and more cognizant of finding myself logging into the same game every day for 5 minutes to an hour to get some daily item, or do the daily quests, whether that amounts to killing boars for bonus gold, or completing some Nightwave objectives on Venus, or shaking all my trees.

The introduction of Nightwave to Warframe completely burned me out on the game really quickly. The fun wasn't necessarily doing the missions, it was the cool goodies you get from the missions after doing them for weeks.

I'd also been playing Elder Scrolls Online for a really long time, maybe the longest I've played anything continuously, not missing a day for daily log in bonus for stretches, and playing expansions when they came out. And it was just too many hours logged. I can't go back to it because I don't want to end up in that loop again.

I've been trying to minimize the number of games that enforce some kind of small daily commitment, and Animal Crossing epitomizes that to me. I'm not sure I have fun tracking down the fossils every day, when the whole reason I'm doing it is to one day have an awesome perfect museum. How much fun is that really, at the end of the day? Everybody's got their own answer, I guess.

With your example of Stardew, that's not a game with a real time element, so I don't have to commit to anything daily, even if I do end up playing it daily for a while. I can pick it back up at any time, and also play as long as I like, no 24 hour cooldown or anything.

Not just MMOs, most games with an online component have this now. Like, The Division 2 and Battlefront 2 have daily tasks and one is a GaaS and one is just a multiplayer shooter.

I solve this by ignoring them and doing what I want. Ever since WoW introduced dailies, games have been picking this concept up.

I think Guild Wars 2 requires you to do daily stuff for 9 to 12 days in order to get your flying dragon mount.

Netherwing Drakes in WoW Burning Crusade. Now THAT was a legendary grind.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Netherwing Drakes in WoW Burning Crusade. Now THAT was a legendary grind.

I remember doing that grind and one day while I was grinding out that horrible rep there was also a horde member there (on a PvP server). We waved at each other and understood this was not the place to fuck with each other and spent many hours there together just grinding out that rep peacefully.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

Is that quite the same thing as pure grind dailies? It seems less aggravating to me since there is a tangible reward.

Compared to a stable of random missions each day for trivial rewards. Not a one-time "quest line" that includes daily checkmarks and then you have your Uber prize. If they made you do them over and over again to keep your mount, that would be another thing entirely. Like having to keep grinding dailies in WoW to build reputation over months and months.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Yeah if you want to talk differences in systems...Warframe's ended up being more like daily/weekly/monthly achievements, doing something you might normally have done anyway a certain number of times. Even like "upgrade your gear 3 times." It wasn't like what I remember from WoW.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

Is that quite the same thing as pure grind dailies? It seems less aggravating to me since there is a tangible reward.

Compared to a stable of random missions each day for trivial rewards. Not a one-time "quest line" that includes daily checkmarks and then you have your Uber prize. If they made you do them over and over again to keep your mount, that would be another thing entirely. Like having to keep grinding dailies in WoW to build reputation over months and months.

Hmm maybe not. For this example I had a friend who spent around 7 hours a day for 9 days to get the flying mount. And everything was on a cycle so if you missed something you had to wait a week (or a few days, can't remember) until the cycle repeated.

I stopped playing WoW when I had to do rep grinding which was just horrible.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

That sounds terrible. FFXIV has a few reputation grinds, but:

They're all optional
    IIRC, all of the dailies' EXP gains, even the ARR ones, all scale according to your current level, so they're a decent way to earn alt job experience
    Have an actual storyline attached to them, with a special quest at each reputation level threshold
    Have shops whose items increase according to your reputation level. You don't just get, say, a mount at the end, but also access to minions (vanity pets), house decorations, music scrolls, etc.
    Don't take months and months to get to max reputation
    The dailies themselves (3/beast tribe, and I think something like 12/day total that you're allowed to do) take maybe 10-15 minutes to do for each group of 3.

I'm currently doing the Kojin grind to both help level Summoner and to get the mount. Each of the 3 daily quests I can do give me just over 300k EXP at level 67. That 900+K is between 1/7th and 1/8th of the way to my next level, and completing each quest also gives me two currencies - tomestones, which I can use to buy leveling gear, and beast tribe specific currency with which to buy things (like the mount I want) from that particular beast tribe shop. You also get a title for getting up to Sworn, as well as an achievement, which gives you achievement points you can cash in for glamour (transmog) gear, more minions, more mounts, more music scrolls, etc.

Thank you for listening to my "Why WoW sucks, and why you should really be playing FFXIV instead" TED Talk. I now return you to the Nintendo Switch thread, already in progress.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The rep/daily grinds in WoW - at least, all the ones I can think of at the moment - have, for several expansions now, been about getting access to new tiers of optional rewards (new mounts and pets, prettier and shinier clothes) or access to special rewards (like unlocking access to flying in the new expansion, which is typically a multi-part achievement that requires lots of different types of tasks done). The daily quests are generally the same tasks (or subsets of pools of tasks) that you do daily, so they're quests you can do on a daily basis forever (rather than being a story with a beginning and end), but they are certainly all optional and the only downside to not doing a daily is that you don't get progress on that specific progress bar. So if it's estimated that it'll take you 10 days to get something if you do all the dailies every day, and the you skip a day, well now it'll take you 11 days total; you don't ever lose something by skipping dailies. I don't think there's anything that has a cycle of N days and if you miss it you're screwed for N-1 days, although there are some weekly activities that reset every Tuesday, and if you missed your window you can't get that chunk of progress - but that's just a daily quest written on a 7-day scale.

I guess what I'm saying is, the Netherwing grind was a nightmare, but it's also 12 years old, and I can't think of anything in the game that's structured that way now. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to compare current FFXIV with 2008 WoW (and I know no one here is intentionally doing that). I don't really see any big difference between how WoW's daily/rep grinds currently work and the FFXIV example that Nightslyr outlined (although I absolutely might have overlooked some nuance).

• Options
    Oh dang, I just realized what thread this is and how wildly off-topic I am. Sorry!

Uh... hey, wouldn't it be cool if clients for [all of our favorite MMOs of choice] were available on the Switch? (There, that brought it back on topic, right?)

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Have they made a 3 TB micro sd yet? :/

SanDisk has 1TBs if you're willing to fork over $250.

I didn’t know they released the 1 TBs, thanks. I may actually do that.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Oh dang, I just realized what thread this is and how wildly off-topic I am. Sorry!

Uh... hey, wouldn't it be cool if clients for [all of our favorite MMOs of choice] were available on the Switch? (There, that brought it back on topic, right?)

Not gonna lie I've wondered why there's no ff14 client on Switch. I'd be there in a heartbeat, for better or for worse.

• Options
    Don’t talk to me about reputation grinds. I managed to make myself kill on site to my own primary faction as a Dark Elf Wizard in EverQuest 1. I can’t even recall how I fixed it but it was an excessively long and arduous affair and I wasn’t even able to use my home city for a long time, which was actually necessary. I think I was only able to fix it by using some kind of exploit that made invisible characters neutral to NPCs so temporarily non-KoS so I could turn in reputation widgets.

• Options
    Actually you can talk to me about reputation grinding if you want.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Not gonna lie I've wondered why there's no ff14 client on Switch. I'd be there in a heartbeat, for better or for worse.

They dropped PS3 support because specs already...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

Worse.

• Options
    Port FF11 then!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    FF11 is already coming to tablets/mobile, just put it on Switch too

• Options
    Port just FF14's gold saucer and nothing else. If you log in when your character was elsewhere then bang zoom you get teleported there.

• Options
    Hey if someone can get Witcher 3 playing well enough on switch they can do ff14. *Crosses arms*

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The switch has more problems with online games than pretty games

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Size is usually the issue with Switch MMOs but apparently XIV is Witcher-sized soooo

• Options
    I'm not gonna pretend I'm being 100% reasonable here, Witcher 3 just makes it feel like miracles can happen.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    You can have FFXIV, but you can only have one character per Switch and you can only transfer your account to another device once.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    And ONLY if your switch is exploded

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    And ONLY if your switch is exploded

and only actual explosions, fire or flood won't qualify

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    You can have FFXIV, but you can only have one character per Switch and you can only transfer your account to another device once.

I mean, if there was ever an MMO where 'only one character' wasn't a problem it'd be FFXIV.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Don’t talk to me about reputation grinds. I managed to make myself kill on site to my own primary faction as a Dark Elf Wizard in EverQuest 1. I can’t even recall how I fixed it but it was an excessively long and arduous affair and I wasn’t even able to use my home city for a long time, which was actually necessary. I think I was only able to fix it by using some kind of exploit that made invisible characters neutral to NPCs so temporarily non-KoS so I could turn in reputation widgets.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Are you still just as handsome? Are you still a my little mermaid fan?

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Thank you for listening to my "Why WoW sucks, and why you should really be playing FFXIV instead" TED Talk. I now return you to the Nintendo Switch thread, already in progress.

I don't even like MMOs, but my experience from trying WoW and then FFXIV was pretty much "wow, this game is just straight up just WoW but Better, and with an actual aesthetic sensibility".

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Is anyone here interested in a copy of Ring Fit Adventure? I bought it and don’t use it at all so I’m going to sell it. Would love to send it off to a PA home.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Is anyone here interested in a copy of Ring Fit Adventure? I bought it and don’t use it at all so I’m going to sell it. Would love to send it off to a PA home.

Kind of but it's because of reasons
    I do want to get the game it's on my long list of things to get when I start getting money once again

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    I keep considering Ring Fit Adventure, but I'm still hacking away with Wii Fit U.

Maybe someday.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I really like Ring Fit Adventure but I wish it came with a download code so I didn’t have to put the card into the system every time I want to play.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I'd be interested! PM me with price and details.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    I really like Ring Fit Adventure but I wish it came with a download code so I didn’t have to put the card into the system every time I want to play.

I'd agree again if I could. When Nintendo sent me a survey about Ring Fit I absolutely made sure to mention that this is the number one thing they should do. You want to remove the inconvenience barrier for people if they're going to work out on a regular basis. They should make the software a free download. You need the ring to play so I can't imagine many people being interested in the software if they didn't already buy it.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Is there any point of playing Dead Cells with one boss cell activated, if I keep getting owned halfway through the game? I feel like I should prob go back to normal mode, where I can beat it semi consistently with the right load out.

Also, where the Dead Cell thread at?

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Is there any point of playing Dead Cells with one boss cell activated, if I keep getting owned halfway through the game? I feel like I should prob go back to normal mode, where I can beat it semi consistently with the right load out.

Also, where the Dead Cell thread at?

not really, just play on normal to help unlock new stuff

when you run out of things you can improve in normal mode that's when you'd need to move up a difficulty

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    nevermind!

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    nevermind!

Not yet, she's coming Soon TM

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Are you still just as handsome? Are you still a my little mermaid fan?

Yes.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.