As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I've been doing a weekly Payday 2 VR game on the PAVR Discord, Sundays at 2pm GMT-5. It's as close to Hitman VR as you can get right now (and on PC, maybe for quite a while...)

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    The copy of Iron Man VR I won arrived last week and yeah, this is a good time. Think I'm a bit over halfway through, and so far it's been reusing the same areas for different missions a fair bit but that's understandable I guess. The quality so far, though, ranges from 'What a city looked like on the PS2 (which is still fun to be able to fly around)' to 'Holy shit this is awesome!'.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

Current Oculus account owners can choose not to merge and your Oculus account which will remain active till 2023.

So...yeah.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

Current Oculus account owners can choose not to merge and your Oculus account which will remain active till 2023.

So...yeah.

Boooooo

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah that is terrible, they better not force any online status with facebook.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Wonder how long til they follow up and ruin Beat Saber too. (Facebook bought that studio)

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Well, looks like I’ll enjoy my Rift and Quest until 2023 I guess and reassess the landscape then. Because I’m sure as fuck not making a new Facebook account.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    The grace period literally gives most folks who own an Oculus around the lifespan of some console generations to find an alternative.

Which feels like the biggest "shooting yourself in the foot" thing. Surprised they didn't just rip the bandage off immediately.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    The grace period literally gives most folks who own an Oculus around the lifespan of some console generations to find an alternative.

Which feels like the biggest "shooting yourself in the foot" thing. Surprised they didn't just rip the bandage off immediately.

There's no real alternative for the Quest, which has gotten a lot more updates and app announcements compared to the Rift S. I guess by 2023 we'll see what Apple's been working on.

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »

There's no real alternative for the Quest, which has gotten a lot more updates and app announcements compared to the Rift S. I guess by 2023 we'll see what Apple's been working on.

Yeah, 3 years is a lot of time for an alternative (which I'll also be looking to if they go forward with this). The Quest may even feel dated by that point too.

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

Yeah, 3 years is a lot of time for an alternative (which I'll also be looking to if they go forward with this). The Quest may even feel dated by that point too.

I feel it might not be that easy for a standalone headset. A PCVR headset can piggyback off the SteamVR library, but someone trying to establish another standalone headset will need to spend money to line up developers with more ports and a few exclusives to get a new storefront off the ground. Beat Saber being off the table probably makes things a bit harder. Apple's in a position to make it happen. Valve, if they wanted to set up a whole new store. I don't think people would trust Microsoft or Google not to lose interest and give up.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

I feel it might not be that easy for a standalone headset. A PCVR headset can piggyback off the SteamVR library, but someone trying to establish another standalone headset will need to spend money to line up developers with more ports and a few exclusives to get a new storefront off the ground. Beat Saber being off the table probably makes things a bit harder. Apple's in a position to make it happen. Valve, if they wanted to set up a whole new store. I don't think people would trust Microsoft or Google not to lose interest and give up.

The problem is that Apple just self-destructed with their Unreal debacle. Apple as an aggregate doesn't care, because they have more money than god. But a VR sub-team trying to sell a VR ecosystem that bans one of the most popular engines? That's a hard sell.

I am more and more interested in where WMR goes at this point.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    templewulf wrote: »

The problem is that Apple just self-destructed with their Unreal debacle. Apple as an aggregate doesn't care, because they have more money than god. But a VR sub-team trying to sell a VR ecosystem that bans one of the most popular engines? That's a hard sell.

I am more and more interested in where WMR goes at this point.

I think that case is a little more nuanced than that, and anyway they have 3 years to sort it out. But is there any indication of WMR going anywhere? Other than hardware releases from third party manufacturers, I don't think I've heard about anything happening at all with WMR since the initial launch.

• Options
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Their logo literally reads “F Oculus” now

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I need to get back to Batman VR. It is cool, but short.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Quest has been massive for Occulus, there's definitely research and development on standalone VR headsets being done right now by other players in the VR market. Theyd be stupid not to try. Everyone is competing over PC tethered VR market at the moment which aint huge. Meanwhile the Quest is the only real player in the standalone VR market and is doing great. The Quest easilly outsells other Occulus headsets (and all other headsets). The question is whether Occulus's competitors can succeed in delivering a competitive product.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Rius wrote: »
    Who

Who could have predicted this

Honestly? I did not see this coming in this way. I assumed if they were going to do good, it would have been sooner

Once 3-4 years passed without them doing this I was pretty confident the doomsayers had got it wrong.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Quest has been massive for Occulus, there's definitely research and development on standalone VR headsets being done right now by other players in the VR market. Theyd be stupid not to try. Everyone is competing over PC tethered VR market at the moment which aint huge. Meanwhile the Quest is the only real player in the standalone VR market and is doing great. The Quest easilly outsells other Occulus headsets (and all other headsets). The question is whether Occulus's competitors can succeed in delivering a competitive product.

I don't think it's stupid at all. If it were just the headset then there'd already be Quest competitors on the market. But hardware manufacturers like HP or Samsung are unlikely to set up their own app store, making deals with VR developers to port apps over and start making new ones under a new SDK. It's one thing to make a WMR headset with the SteamVR library already on a platter, another to build a new storefront from scratch. Valve or Sony would have a huge leg up, but I don't think there's any indication that they're doing anything in this field.

• Options
    I think this move is to shore up the data-value of the Facebook VR platform ahead of the inevitable Apple VR platform. The Apple VR ios device is going to use your Apple account, which is already tied to phones, tablets, watches, and so on, which will be immeasurably more data valuable than an isolated VR software purchaser account. Since Facebook is already on most ios devices, they'll get some of that for free, but without the account link they can't make their data MORE valuable than Apple's in isolation.

Megacorporations, man. Can't stand 'em.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/idlp9g/someone_remade_the_first_few_levels_of_half_life/

This sounds interesting. It's first on my to-do list soon as my VR Optician inserts arrive.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    A scene from me and @templewulf playing the Biker DLC mission in Payday 2 today:

ezp1zz44c8q1.gif

That tunnel could have been a little bit wider is all I'm saying.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Very much enjoying the Linkin Park songs in Beat Saber - the game is so much more fun with songs you know, even if you don't know them that well. Some fun maps too.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    GSM wrote: »
    A scene from me and @templewulf playing the Biker DLC mission in Payday 2 today:

ezp1zz44c8q1.gif

That tunnel could have been a little bit wider is all I'm saying.

I didn't even know Payday 2 *had* driving segments, let alone the ability to trap you in them!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Sure, you can swing glowsticks to the beat, but...

• Options
    Somebody get Weird Al on the line.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Heh yeah, seemed like this was a pretty natural second step. Oculus the brand is not long for this world.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I mean... what did people expect? The whole fucking reason Facebook bought the studio was so they could try to corner the market on an emerging technology, it was never not going to turn into an intrusive shitpile. "We fuck you over for money" is the Facebook brand.

• Options
    I mean... what did people expect? The whole fucking reason Facebook bought the studio was so they could try to corner the market on an emerging technology, it was never not going to turn into an intrusive shitpile. "We fuck you over for money" is the Facebook brand.

Lulled into a false sense of security I think. It really looked like Oculus was mostly safe for a long while

Steam profile
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Lulled into a false sense of security I think. It really looked like Oculus was mostly safe for a long while

Well they couldn't just come right out and start fucking people from the outset, it would've killed the project. They had to get people invested in the product line first, then start with the fucking because they know a lot of people won't bother with ditching what they have.

It should be straight-up illegal, really. It's one thing if it's from the outset, it's wholly another if it's a blatant bait-and-switch to fuck people over.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Fortunately I have literally zero things bought on the Oculus/Facebook ecosystem. The account switchover date just gives me a nice amount of time to save up for a new headset. I imagine I can get a pretty sweet resolution headset for a mid-range price by 2023!

Campy on
  • Options
    That reminds me, I need to finish Asgard's Wrath!

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Fortunately I have literally zero things bought on the Oculus/Facebook ecosystem. The account switchover date just gives me a nice amount of time to save up for a new headset. I imagine I can get a pretty sweet resolution headset for a mid-range price by 2023!

Same, I never actually buy apps through the oculus store, it's always through Steam. So no loss here.

Will be interesting to see how much business this change loses them.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »

Same, I never actually buy apps through the oculus store, it's always through Steam. So no loss here.

Will be interesting to see how much business this change loses them.

Probably not much that they care for.

They do not have any competition in their segment.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Well the Rift S (PC market) is technically their segment too, but one that, I'll admit, it sounded like they wound be abandoning relatively soon even before these announcements came out. Maybe I'll be wrong on that one, but they haven't seemed particularly interested in the PC market in awhile -- you may be right soon!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oculus driver auto-update just bricked my HMD on Windows 8.

I am incredibly angry.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Since it's cooled down quite a bit this week, I think I'll dust off my Rift this weekend. I'm hoping to start again with No Man's Sky, giving it a second chance; I suspect that I didn't get into it on my first try at least in part because I insisted on playing it as if it worked perfectly okay as a roomscale game, but the UI issues when you turn physically are too frustrating for that IMO. Here's hoping that if I play it more along the lines of how it's designed to be played that I'll get into it. If not, I'll just decide that NMS isn't for me, at least in VR, and move on to something else.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Well the Rift S (PC market) is technically their segment too, but one that, I'll admit, it sounded like they wound be abandoning relatively soon even before these announcements came out.

Even with the Rift S, they don't have a lot of competition. All of the other PCVR headsets either cost what the Rift S does but are significantly worse, or are significantly better but also cost significantly more. Nothing really hits the price & feature convergence that the Rift S does, and certainly nothing like the Quest exists. They're behaving like a monopoly because they are one, right now.