As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of fun

Feel free to jump on the discord so we can organize

Discord

templewulfjdarksun
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of fun

Discord
    No worries. The train made me late to jump in tonight. We'll have others. Thank you for trying to get it set up, though.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    send friend invite on
    Looks like a lot of fun

Discord
    No worries. The train made me late to jump in tonight. We'll have others. Thank you for trying to get it set up, though.

Probably going to try to play tomorrow.

Thanks to @Blackhawk1313 @jdarksun and @templewulf for making for a special evening of Star Trek, even if we had many technical difficulties.

I'll return to editing the OP into its final form--but not tonight.

And yes, plans are to do some more Star Trek tomorrow but I have some appointments to take care of so go forth and trek without me.

Blackhawk1313RiuskimejdarksunElvenshaeMNC DoverApogeehlprmnkytemplewulf
    edited January 2020
    Sorry for the double post, but doing research for the OP made me run across the first VR subscription service via Vive

Viveport Infinity
    Price: $13/month or $9/mo for annual.
    Compatible with WMR, Oculus and Vive it seems.

Haven't tried it myself but it could be a great way to get people into trying VR games for a lower price since building a new VR library from scratch can be daunting.

Karoz on
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I feel like their library wasn't that great, at least originally. Seems like they've gotten some of the bigger/better stuff since then though, so that's good

crimsoncoyote on
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Oh, I watched Crow: The Legend the other day and wow if that doesn't feel like being inside a Dreamworks movie.

Think that'll be my VR demo for people that probably wouldn't enjoy the diving adventure in VR Worlds.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    templewulfKarozElvenshaeFiatil
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I briefly fired up Lone Echo yesterday to see if the new VRSS functionality worked. I'm not sure it was already active, though, since Oculus was in the process of downloading an update when I checked. I'm also not sure whether VRSS would be something whose effect would be immediately apparent.

What doesn't help is that right now it's quite a fiddle: VRSS only works in a smallish number of games and it has to be activated for each individual game in the NVIDIA settings. It would be great if there was a demo at some point where you can activate and deactivate it at will and compare the results.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Sorry for the double post, but doing research for the OP made me run across the first VR subscription service via Vive

Viveport Infinity
    Price: $13/month or $9/mo for annual.
    Compatible with WMR, Oculus and Vive it seems.

Haven't tried it myself but it could be a great way to get people into trying VR games for a lower price since building a new VR library from scratch can be daunting.

Damn, for a second i thought i could 'rent' the different headsets so i could try them out. I'd love a service like that.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Karoz
    I know there are VR arcades out there and I was sold on getting a headset by going to a PSVR demonstration and tried out a Rift S before buying it off a buddy.

Even so, sorry for the confusion.

Double post, the long OP nightmare is over.

I welcome people looking over it to give edits/feedback as I have been more worried about making it pretty via formatting.

Click the links, add games to the list, etc.

Gonna rest my brain on some games.

Maybe get something going tonight. While Star Trek for those who missed out is preferred there are many VR game options available.

ApogeekimeDhalphir

I welcome people looking over it to give edits/feedback as I have been more worried about making it pretty via formatting.

Maybe get something going tonight. While Star Trek for those who missed out is preferred there are many VR game options available.

over? But I thought this was going to be a better threat OP, with blackjack! and hookers! and free VR headset giveaways!!

Dhalphir
    azith28 wrote: »

over? But I thought this was going to be a better threat OP, with blackjack! and hookers! and free VR headset giveaways!!

tfMZnWE.png

azith28kimeForarMcFodderLe_Goat
    edited January 2020
    Blackhawk, templewulf and I are looking to trek the stars once more in say 30 minutes to an hour if a fourth would like to join us.

@Le_Goat

Be sure to join our discord, we are organizing there.

Karoz on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Blackhawk, templewulf and I are looking to trek the stars once more in say 30 minutes to an hour if a fourth would like to join us.

@Le_Goat

I'll Trek with you some time, I haven't even played my PC copy yet, and I'm currently waiting on Fanatical support to figure out why my Oculus Quest key that I purchased was invalid.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Karoz
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I know there are VR arcades out there and I was sold on getting a headset by going to a PSVR demonstration and tried out a Rift S before buying it off a buddy.

Yeah, there are actually several in my nearest metropolitan area according to Google. @azith28 see if anything comes up for you here: https://uploadvr.com/website-helps-find-closest-vr-arcade/

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    So a couple months ago Oculus announced that about 50 Oculus Go games would get Quest support, not ports or anything, just you'd be able to launch them natively on the Quest. They announced the games that would be supported, but I'm wondering if they have made any other announcements since then. I added about a dozen of the free Go games to my account when they announced it, now I'm just waiting until they say that they can now be downloaded to the Quest.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Alright, so since Valve apparently can't figure out it's economy of sale with Index, what's the next best VR set on the market right now? I'll just go with that and maybe get some knuckle controllers at some point down the line if I get a game that can use them. We have anything that comes close to the Index in terms of resolution and refresh rate?

Syzygy on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Syzygy wrote: »
    Alright, so since Valve apparently can't figure out it's economy of sale with Index, what's the next best VR set on the market right now? I'll just go with that and maybe get some knuckle controllers at some point down the line if I get a game that can use them. We have anything that comes close to the Index in terms of resolution and refresh rate?

The OP has recently been revamped. I think all the information you want should be there (it's not particularly large, either :) )

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    edited January 2020
    Noice, thanks matey!

EDIT: Samsung Odyssey seems to be my best bet right now since the Vive's just aren't worth it compared to the Index (if I could even place a back order one one... sigh) Are knuckle controllers compatible with the Odyssey? ANy way to find out what hardware is compatible with which headset?

Syzygy on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Noice, thanks matey!

EDIT: Samsung Odyssey seems to be my best bet right now since the Vive's just aren't worth it compared to the Index (if I could even place a back order one one... sigh) Are knuckle controllers compatible with the Odyssey? ANy way to find out what hardware is compatible with which headset?

WMR is only compatible with WMR, Oculus is only compatible with Oculus, Vive & Index are compatible with one another and nothing else.

jdarksunSynthesiscrimsoncoyote
    templewulf wrote: »

Yeah, there are actually several in my nearest metropolitan area according to Google. @azith28 see if anything comes up for you here: https://uploadvr.com/website-helps-find-closest-vr-arcade/

Yeah I actually found one nearby thanks! they use vive, which ive already tried but it will be a good testing ground when i get my new glasses.

KarozElvenshaetemplewulf
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    If you want to use the knuckles, the Vive Pro is the only compatible headset with a comparable display in terms of resolution. But it has a lower field of view, lower refresh rate, and is 60% more expensive ($800) than the Index headset ($500).

But there's an official wireless adapter. For another $300.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    There’s also a bunch of other headsets you could check out. Pi max for example

https://www.pimax.com/

edited January 2020
    There’s also a bunch of other headsets you could check out. Pi max for example

https://www.pimax.com/

*pooks at pimax*

*looks at OP*

Edit: And now we're talking console specific accessories?

Nope! I won't do it! Someone else do the grunt work! I'm out!

Or is it as easy as Dhalphir's quote on which is compatible with which?

Edit 2: Trying to limit double posts, but while the PAVR discord is rad, it's always better to get more scheduled times going.

Naturally please mingle on your own if you are willing and able, but for the larger coop games (read 3+ players) like Star Trek it's always better to have a set time then trying to spring it on people.

Karoz on
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Noice, thanks matey!

You can actually use Lighthouse trackers and knuckles (or another Vive trackers) in conjunction with WMR. Both VR systems can be running at once - it takes some doing to ensure both VR environments are physically aligned, but once done it's supposed to be pretty seamless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbDHuEkvqZc

That said, it's probably more trouble than it's worth - I'd get an O+ next time it's on sale and then upgrade once the Valve system is cheaper.

8R7BtLw.png
    ElvenshaeKaroz
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Yeah honestly trying to get a firesale Odyssey+ and then waiting for the Index would be my preference if I were in your situation.

If you want the better all around experience right now and don't plan on upgrading soon, probably a Rift S.

Unfortunately the solutions that let you modularly upgrade to Index stuff now are pretty bad at retail price. The Vive Pro has always been hilariously overpriced and is even more so now. If you can get a sub $250 original Vive (full set) somehow that would be a really solid solution -- you can use the sensors with the Index and save yourself $250 off of the full kit with those alone (full kit is $999, controllers + headset is only $750). It wont look as good as the other options, but is essentially free if you're 100% getting an Index once they're available.

steam_sig.png
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular

@Le_Goat

Sorry. I was at a 2-day planning meeting for work (plus after-work company events) and wasn't able to get any gaming in at all.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Karoztemplewulf
    No worries Le_Goat, just trying to get you in on the action, which a weekly get together would probably best, make if you can but if after 10 minutes just start playing something.

Also @azith28 here's your damn VR giveaway

Le_Goat
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Noice, thanks matey!

The controllers have been covered above -- you can set up the Index controllers and base stations with other headsets, since they work independently of the headset. But you can leave that until the Index controllers are available.

A Samsung Odyssey+ is currently $315 on Amazon, which is a decent price. Make sure you're buying the Odyssey+ and not the older Odyssey. I do think this is the best plan if Oculus products are out of consideration (the Rift S would be my normal recommendation in the current market, by quite a bit).
    Fiatil wrote: »
    The Vive Pro has always been hilariously overpriced and is even more so now.

UploadVR says HTC actually dropped the price by $200 today, so it's $600 now. Still a poorer value than the Odyssey+ after adding base stations and Vive wands.

No worries Le_Goat, just trying to get you in on the action, which a weekly get together would probably best, make if you can but if after 10 minutes just start playing something.

Also @azith28 here's your damn VR giveaway

8-)

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    So playing iRacing a lot with the VR headset, but I disliked how everything would just flicker a lot. I would see the fps counter always lock to 39/40 fps, so I assumed it was displaying half because of dual lenses or something.

Turns out it was the headset cutting frames to maintain smoothness, so that was the cause of all the flickering. All I needed to do was reduce the in-game resolution to 1024x768 because that was what the preview on the monitor was displaying. It immediately jumped to 80fps and the game is crystal clear now. Whoops.

Kinda silly that several VR games render for both the headset and your monitor, and that it often severely affects performance.

Apogee
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Noice, thanks matey!

Only headsets that use lighthouse tracking are compatible with the knuckles, at least in meaningful terms of the word compatibility (as noted, you can have two VR ecosystems running at once, but it's a lot of extra trouble and expense). That's mostly just the Vive, Vive Pro (not Cosmos), Index, and Pimax(I think) as far as I'm aware.

Edit: There's apparently also two professional headsets not marketed towards individuals that use it too, but I know nothing about them.

Bremen on
    Fiatiltemplewulf
    I am planning to do some VR around 6 p.m. Pacific time because that's a time that the real stupid can VR as well since he's in Australia. If anyone wants to join us will still be deciding on a game. Also we should figure out some group play hours so we can do this more consistently.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I just played through "Illusion", one of the escape rooms you can buy for Tales of Escape. The VR implementation is not very good and the puzzles aren't particularly coherent (though you get into the designers' mindest after a while), but it's still great fun to do with a couple of friends. Has anyone here played the other available levels? I believe that other than "Illusion" it's just "Sleepy Hollow" that can be played in VR, right?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Karoz
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I just played through "Illusion", one of the escape rooms you can buy for Tales of Escape. The VR implementation is not very good and the puzzles aren't particularly coherent (though you get into the designers' mindest after a while), but it's still great fun to do with a couple of friends. Has anyone here played the other available levels? I believe that other than "Illusion" it's just "Sleepy Hollow" that can be played in VR, right?

Illusion almost made me shed tears with all its cheap-shot ooga-booga sound effects.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    So TheRealStupid and I need a 3rd/4th officer to join us for treking dem stars.

edited January 2020
    Double post to put in a couple polls to help facilitate weekly jolly coop:

Days available to coop poll

to start

Course these times are a bit nebulous if we don't know your UTC.

Your UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) poll
    Check your UTC here

Another poll will result to further narrow things down but please feel free to get your coop on any time.

In the end it may not be a true weekly gathering but just the best time to ping the discord for coop buddies.

Oh yeah had a great time with The Real Stupid though bots require a lot more micro management and so are not as fun IMO but we made it work and have some good memories. I also only disconnected once and that made things much more tolerable.

I also did it all with the Rift S and wearing glasses! I just...had it on too tight originally. Still looking to do contacts/prescription lenses but hey got it working.

Karoz on
    StupidhlprmnkyLe_Goat
    Bremen wrote: »
    Noice, thanks matey!

Only headsets that use lighthouse tracking are compatible with the knuckles, at least in meaningful terms of the word compatibility (as noted, you can have two VR ecosystems running at once, but it's a lot of extra trouble and expense). That's mostly just the Vive, Vive Pro (not Cosmos), Index, and Pimax(I think) as far as I'm aware.

Edit: There's apparently also two professional headsets not marketed towards individuals that use it too, but I know nothing about them.

Eh, odyssey is cheap enough that I figure I'll get my kicks in now and then sell it off and get an Index once Valve actually gets their act together on that front.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Noice, thanks matey!

The controllers have been covered above -- you can set up the Index controllers and base stations with other headsets, since they work independently of the headset. But you can leave that until the Index controllers are available.

A Samsung Odyssey+ is currently $315 on Amazon, which is a decent price. Make sure you're buying the Odyssey+ and not the older Odyssey. I do think this is the best plan if Oculus products are out of consideration (the Rift S would be my normal recommendation in the current market, by quite a bit).
    Fiatil wrote: »
    The Vive Pro has always been hilariously overpriced and is even more so now.

UploadVR says HTC actually dropped the price by $200 today, so it's $600 now. Still a poorer value than the Odyssey+ after adding base stations and Vive wands.

That is so HTC it hurts. At launch $600 would have been a somewhat reasonable price, and now after two years they've generously dropped their price to $100 more than their most expensive competitor that is a better experience in every fathomable way, barring spending $360 more for a wireless adapter and an adapter to make the wireless adapter work.

steam_sig.png