As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Hot damn! I don't know if anyone here plays Valheim, but a VR mod just got released for it!

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/847

Very much a work in progress :D

Fleeb on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Honestly more VR survival games would be great.

I love VR The Forest but sadly they haven't figured out how to block so fighting the big mutants is nigh impossible while you wreck the cannibals due to no swing time cooldown.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Has this been brought up before?

https://youtu.be/gPFiYRMm8Ok

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ChnfY6TVI

Seems pretty cool.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »

Dark Bramble was scary enough without VR.

• Options
    I’m not sure I can imagine it working 100% (zero-G, spinning around?), but they definitely seem to have put in a lot of amazing work already.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    The entire game is playable then?

I'll definitely give that a go in VR.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    There's a new bundle that includes Star Trek Bridge Crew!

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/spring-into-vr-bundle

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    templewulf wrote: »

Oh HELL yes, thanks for sharing that!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »

Oh HELL yes, thanks for sharing that!

I thought this was a VR mod of Bridge Commander for a minute and was super excited.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Are there shoulder sensors yet? It's been awhile since I tortured myself with VRChat since the 3080 shortage, but I recall the stiff shoulders being really bad for body language.

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Are there shoulder sensors yet? It's been awhile since I tortured myself with VRChat since the 3080 shortage, but I recall the stiff shoulders being really bad for body language.

Yes and no. The Vive has had additional sensors for years. Another company made a Vive-compatible device intended to be used as a hip sensor. https://www.deca.net/decamove/

The problem is that I think each game has to implement support for additional trackers separately. It seems there's support for devices at the SteamVR level, but not every game makes use of them. That said, Deca says that VR Chat supports their hip sensor, so it's probably closer to what you want.

• Options
    Hey, folks! I'm gonna hop on for the weekly VR meetup at 3 Eastern (in 45 minutes). Feel welcome to drop into the Discord server and join in. https://discord.gg/DBcjn3b

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    I just got my Quest 2! Going to try firing up Rec Room with my gf tonight, with me playing on my old WMR set. Anyone know any other games with crossplay (quest/steam) multiplayer that I've missed? My list so far is: Rec Room, Space Team, Hyper Dash, Bridge Crew, Synth Riders, Orbus, Racket: Nx, and this soon:
    https://youtu.be/vj44kzxtFMw
    Am I missing anything good? Blaston seems like it might work if I get ReVive running again, more research is necessary

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Tabletop simulator? Though I heard it's vr controls are not great

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Spoit wrote: »

I haven't played in years, so I guess I didn't have much to compare it to at the time, but the controls were quite playable for me.
    Being able to shrink myself down in size and stand on the game boards was great in Tabletop Sim.

Blah64 on
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

It still has a lot of the same problems in that none of the controls are idiomatic to VR. Things like rolling dice or drawing a card aren't quite intuitive or physical the way you'd want them to be.

That said, it's still playable and is pretty neat in its way

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I tried TTS on VR last year. I found it unplayable due to the controls. But maybe others can handle it

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

I mean, Virtual Desktop is (for many people) a nearly flawless experience and incredibly easy to start, so it has stiff competition lol

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Humble is doing a VR bundle.

I haven't even heard of all of these games, but I hear Job Simulator is good.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Job Simulator is pretty fun. But beware if you have a Quest (2 in my case) as the other games in that bundle I had less good luck with. Espire and Surgeon Simulator don't seem to have Quest controls at all which is kind of a bummer. Borderlands is poorly calibrated for the Quest... the cross hair is a mile off from where your shots actually go and HUD elements are wrapped weird and cut off.

Sairento and Swords of Gurrah work just fine and are pretty darn fun (I've only played a couple minutes of Swords though). I Haven't tried Detached yet and I need to find my Ubisoft account for Bridge Crew... looking forward to that I hope it works.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    Job Simulator is pretty fun. But beware if you have a Quest (2 in my case) as the other games in that bundle I had less good luck with. Espire and Surgeon Simulator don't seem to have Quest controls at all which is kind of a bummer. Borderlands is poorly calibrated for the Quest... the cross hair is a mile off from where your shots actually go and HUD elements are wrapped weird and cut off.

Sairento and Swords of Gurrah work just fine and are pretty darn fun (I've only played a couple minutes of Swords though). I Haven't tried Detached yet and I need to find my Ubisoft account for Bridge Crew... looking forward to that I hope it works.

The ubisoft system technically works, but I hate it every time. It's worth it, though; I really enjoy the whole teamwork dynamic.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

I know the point of the video is the lip syncing, but how does the arm movement work? Is it extrapolating the arms from the controller positions somehow, or are there extra sensors involved?

• Options
    Calica wrote: »

I know the point of the video is the lip syncing, but how does the arm movement work? Is it extrapolating the arms from the controller positions somehow, or are there extra sensors involved?

This is typically done through an IK (inverse kinematics) solver. They're common even in non-vr games, like how they get characters to stand naturally on stairs and other uneven terrain.

You can see this in games like VR Chat and Star Trek Bridge Crew.

• Options
    There's a big sale on Greenman Games. A lot of it looks pretty thin, but there are a few good titles in there too.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/vr-titles/sale/

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    For those who have ever played GTFO (a hardcore 4 player co-op survival game, think L4D but super hard) there is a VR mod that is absolutely amazing:

https://github.com/DSprtn/GTFO_VR_Plugin

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Anyone watching the Oculus Gaming Showcase?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
  • Options
    Has anyone already been able to test Air Link? Or is the software not being rolled out yet? (I thought they'd started the roll-out but it's staggered, but I may be misinformed.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Saw on reddit people getting it to work with ADB/third party programs to do it for you. Maybe because of it being rolled out in waves? Didn't look into the details.

• Options
    My first one or two attempts at getting Air Link to work didn't work out too well - I'd connect, but then, seconds later, I'd disconnect. While I don't know if this is what the problem was, this morning I separated the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands on my router into two different networks and then made sure that both the PC (sadly, I can't really hook it up via Ethernet cable) and the headset use that network. Just now, I quickly tried this out, and it seems to work fine. My gut tells me the visuals are noticeably more muddy than they are with the Link cable, but I'd have to test this some more. I probably won't be able to do much testing this weekend, but I'm looking forward to trying it out with Saints & Sinners in a week at the latest.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    ... and the next time I briefly tried it, I was back to the previous situation: it briefly works and then kicks me out, as the Oculus software on my PC switches Air Link off. Dunno if it's something to do with SteamVR or, more specifically, Saints & Sinners. Ah well. Early days.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Quick update: I just put in about 1-2 hours of wireless PCVR time in, thanks to Air Link. Seems the problem was that my USB modem wasn't properly plugged in, so my PC's connection would drop out very briefly every now and then. (I always thought that this wasn't a thing in the digital age and that things generally worked or didn't work depending on whether they were plugged in right - but hey, it seems to have done the trick.) I finally got through the Rampart mission for for Casey, finding all of his former comrades. While the visuals seem to be a bit more muddy than I remember them from wired Rift S play (though S&S is a muddy-looking game overall), it all worked tremendously well nonetheless - and, thanks to wifi, I can occasionally take things to the living room where I've got more space than the 1.5x2m I have in the bedroom.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    For those of you with the Oculus 2, how is the functionality with the wired 'link' feature? I'm looking into replacing my rinky-dink used Dell Visor, but want to be able to play Steam VR stuff.

The Valve Index seems like a lot of overkill for what I usually play (mostly Beatsaber, Box VR and the occasional Subnautica session), but am not sure about the Oculus either. I wouldn't want one if I'm limited to the Oculus store only.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    It works perfect. You can play Steam games with it with Virtual Desktop. You don't even need a cable (get a 3rd party cheaper usb 3 one if you do get cable) with the new Air Link or Virtual Desktop.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    So just to get this straight -- I currently have an original oculus rift (CV1). I have three cameras stuck to various places around me, two Touch controllers, some extension wires, and some hooks on the ceiling, which all combine to make it relatively unobtrusive physically when I'm playing games, the wire doesn't get tangled up all that often.

_But_ I sure do whack my hands on the walls / other various unyielding bits of the room more often than I would like, because the space by the computer is _just_ big enough to stretch my arms out, but literally with about two inches of extra space on either side.

If I got an Oculus Quest 2, I could (wireless bandwidth permitting) play all the same games I can play now, from oculus store / steam, just without any wires, and in another, bigger, room -- I don't need the Oculus Link or anything? And I could get the lower-storage one because I wouldn't be storing games on it, they'd all be streaming from my PC, right?

djmitchella on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I’ve been using the third party equivalent of Air Link (Virtual Desktop + Streamer) for awhile. And it’s perfect/flawless for me. Your mileage may vary depending on your network situation but I would say Air Link* or its equivalent is the single most important VR feature since it’s inception.

*I have not tried the official Air Link yet.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah they released update v28 but I don’t have the Airlink option yet.

Virtual Desktop wireless streaming works amazing though.

Not having any cables is amazing, the only issue is the Quest is basically a 4k screen so you need a beefy system to drive it.

It sucks not being able to get a 3080, my 2070 doesn’t cut it for some games.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Sorry for the newb question, but does anyone have a link to a good virtual desktop tutorial? To tide me over until Air Link has the kinks worked out.

Edit: I have an awesome VR ready PC that my partner built for me (thanks @A duck! ), so it should be able to handle stuff for the Quest.

Didgeridoo on