As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    What are your other PC specs?

I have a 6GB 1070, and before December, I was running an i7 4770k for a CPU (and other, 6-year-old components).
    While not quite top-of-the-line, it would have come in over the minimum specs for Half-Life Alyx from what I recall.

Granted, I have a Vive and not an Index, however I am also using the wireless adapter which requires a significant chunk of CPU. I haven't really had issues running current VR games.

Edit: Basically, I'm saying you don't need to spend $500+ on a video card. You can get an appropriate 6GB gtx 1660 for under $300.

@azith28 to answer your original question: if you're going to upgrade your PC at some point anyway, I would go this route. I value the Index controllers and Steam ecosystem more than the self-contained features of the Quest.

But the caveat is that you're the only person who can do the calculus on how much the PC upgrade is going to hurt. I already did mine for my primary gaming platform, so it was an easy choice for me. Are you going to use it for any other games? Do you have a big Steam library? If not, will you really wish you had spent an extra $2000?

(Incidentally, I run my Vive on a 970, and it actually does really well. That said, the Index's resolution and frame rate are super high, and you would run into games you couldn't play sooner than later. If you know anyone unloading a last-gen headset, it would be worth considering.)

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Well sure ive got a huge steam library, but I kinda think 99% of them are games that wouldnt work with VR, or make me replay in VR. I'm sure there are lots of things to use the headset for, but I'm expecting games ive never played before to be the main use of the headset, games that intend to have a VR purpose.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    I guess i mainly want to know if the quest is shit tier vs an index level headset.
    I'll put it this way: if the Quest is shit, then I happily play with poop all the time. I even put poop on my kids' heads and let them play with it. I'm enjoying the hell out of my poop and share my poop with friends. I one time got my dad to put poop on his head and he enjoyed it very much. Sadly, my poop gives my wife a headache, so she doesn't play with poop.

I know you're not saying the Quest is crap, but it was a lot of fun saying "poop" as much as I just did. Also, I have not regretted the purchase once. Yeah, the game catalog is way less than the other catalogs, and the graphics are inferior to the Index, but not having to worry about a cable or PC upgrades, and being able to bring it wherever I want (including in bed watching Amazon Prime in a virtual theater with headphones so I don't wake up my wife)... I can say that I am incredibly satisfied with the purchase. For the record, I've always been the cheap gamer that tones down the graphics settings for better performance instead of investing in better GPUs, because I don't have that level of money.

I know this sounds like a cop-out, lame non-answer, but it really depends on what you want and what you are willing to dish out.
    Yeah, I own a PSVR, which is not exactly a top-tier VR experience, and I'm overjoyed with my purchase. Yes, I've tried out a Vive (but not an Index) and while the obvious advantages were... well, obvious (better tracking, more 'room scale' like) it certainly was NOT a game changing difference. It was only incrementally better.

I look at it this way: if you are accustomed to walking everywhere, getting a new car is a godsend. Obviously a $250,000 luxury sports car is "better" than a $5000 econobox, but both of them are going to make cross city travel better. And the cheap car will do (almost) everything the expensive sportscar can do, just not as well.

I'd buy the Quest.

26904.png
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Well sure ive got a huge steam library, but I kinda think 99% of them are games that wouldnt work with VR, or make me replay in VR. I'm sure there are lots of things to use the headset for, but I'm expecting games ive never played before to be the main use of the headset, games that intend to have a VR purpose.

And that's a really good attitude to have. Made for VR stuff is typically going to just work and feel better, though there are notable exceptions. It is worth noting that there is lots of made for VR stuff on Steam -- the advantage of Steam isn't so much in your old games as it is access to all of the VR stuff that is on Steam.

I probably wouldn't drop a couple grand on a new PC and Index if you're doing it just for VR, without knowing that you really really like VR. If you're a PC gamer and the PC upgrade will give you benefits with your non-VR PC games, it becomes a lot more feasible.

But I would definitely want to test out a few headsets personally before going all in with full PC upgrade and $1000 headset.

Context: I built a new PC pretty much entirely for the Index, and bought an Index. But I knew from using the Vive a lot that I wanted the improvements the Index offered, and that the upgrade in PC performance would let me make VR look really good. If I were coming in fresh I would feel a lot less comfortable doing that.

steam_sig.png
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    The thing about the Quest, is that it's basically a feature complete standalone VR headset. It's not like it's Oculus Go or Gear VR predecessors where the experience was obviously hobbled in ways that severely impacted the experience. Like have 3dof instead of 6dof, or having no touch controllers. The only thing the Quest lacks is the horsepower required to deliver the graphical fidelity of a PCVR or even PSVR experience. But you get a cordless experience in exchange. Which in many games, to me, is more valuable than shiner graphics. Although I'm really looking forward to getting an Oculus Link cable and trying PCVR with it too.

edited January 2020

I'm less talking about whether you'd have games in your library that work in VR so much as whether you were going to continue playing games on Steam and the upgrade would benefit all of them.

It's "Going back to Dying Light to play the new DLC means I get to see it in Ultra at 120fps now!" instead of "I spent $2000 on a VR PC, now lemme boot up the PS4 for the rest of my library."

templewulf on
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Two gripes about the Quest: light leakage is pretty bad around the nose, and it's a walled garden.

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Two gripes about the Quest: light leakage is pretty bad around the nose, and it's a walled garden.

Eeeeeeh. SideQuest is evolving into a legit alternate marketplace for non-Oculus approved applications. To the point where when Virtual Desktop got slapped for including SteamVR Streaming, they took it out of the official release and included it on the SideQuest release.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I agree that the light leakage is annoying, but you get used to it for the most part. I'm about the buy an IR Illuminator for $30 which will allow me to play in the dark without that problem. Overall, I honestly don't notice it after 5 minutes.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    edited January 2020
    I agree that the light leakage is annoying, but you get used to it for the most part. I'm about the buy an IR Illuminator for $30 which will allow me to play in the dark without that problem. Overall, I honestly don't notice it after 5 minutes.

Wait, that works? Did the Quest advance so far that it looped around, and now we're working backwards to recreate the Vive base stations?

Edit: would it work with the Vive base stations???

templewulf on
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Vive basestations are already doing that, more or less (but are much more sophisticated). You can play with the vive/pro/index in total darkness.

Inside-out tracking relies on cameras being able to see your environment in most cases and thus cannot be used in total darkness. IR lights get around that because cameras can pick up the IR reflecting off surfaces, but your eyes can't so it still appears dark.

crimsoncoyote on
    edited January 2020
    Vive basestations are already doing that, more or less (but are much more sophisticated). You can play with the vive/pro/index in total darkness.

Inside-out tracking relies on cameras being able to see your environment in most cases and thus cannot be used in total darkness. IR lights get around that because cameras can pick up the IR reflecting off surfaces, but your eyes can't so it still appears dark.

I'm well aware of how tracking works, what I'm wondering is whether the first gen accessories we have shed to get a completely wireless headset could be used in that scenario.

Grafting them back on to the Quest is compellingly perverse.

templewulf on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular

I have a 6GB 1070, and before December, I was running an i7 4770k for a CPU (and other, 6-year-old components).
    While not quite top-of-the-line, it would have come in over the minimum specs for Half-Life Alyx from what I recall.

Granted, I have a Vive and not an Index, however I am also using the wireless adapter which requires a significant chunk of CPU. I haven't really had issues running current VR games.

Edit: Basically, I'm saying you don't need to spend $500+ on a video card. You can get an appropriate 6GB gtx 1660 for under $300.

its an i7-6700, 8 core, 3.4Ghz 24 gigs ram
    960 Nvidia

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular

its an i7-6700, 8 core, 3.4Ghz 24 gigs ram
    960 Nvidia

You're beating the minimum requirements for HL: Alyx aside from the video card, and that is one of the more intense game minimums for VR stuff. You'd need a 6GB card for Alyx.
    I think you may also struggle on some other games with that card, but it doesn't seem to me like you'd need an entire system replacement.

• BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Yeah, add a $300ish video card to that and it would be set for Alyx and an Index (or Rift S/Quest with link cable, of course) if you decide to go that route.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    To weigh in on this: just get a Quest.

- the library is great.
    - whilst it IS android based and a walled garden, it is also easy to install homebrew games and apps. There are quite a few pretty cool games available this way.
    - this includes mods, like custom songs for Beat Saber and Pistolwhip.
    - you turn it on and play, there's no fiddly set up.
    - if you upgrade your gpu down the line, pick up a decent USB-C cable and your Quest is now a fully fledged pc headset and can play everything the Rift-S and index can.

Don't take this as a "the Index is rubbish and the Quest is amazing", I've used pretty much every headset on the market now and the index is undeniably a premium experience (THE premium experience, currently) but for someone wanting to dip their toes in and sample what VR has to offer? That's the Quests target audience.

If you get in to VR in a big way then down the line you could sell the Quest and 'upgrade' to an Index, but that upgrade is still full of compromises (lack of tether free VR, using base stations, having to use revive to access Oculus exclusives, and personally I really don't like Steam VR but many feel the opposite).

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    templewulf wrote: »

I'm well aware of how tracking works, what I'm wondering is whether the first gen accessories we have shed to get a completely wireless headset could be used in that scenario.

Grafting them back on to the Quest is compellingly perverse.
    You're still wireless. The IR illuminator just plugs into an outlet somewhere and you turn it on.

Maybe I'm missing something here...

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I think templewulf is just musing that it would be kind of hilarious to use the base stations as your IR light in that situation. They shoot invisible lasers all throughout your room, so it may work to illuminate the space to allow you to Quest in the dark.

"The IR illuminator just plugs into an outlet somewhere and you turn it on." -- you can sub out "IR illuminator" for "steam VR base station" and get the same result.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    Karoz wrote: »
    Updated the OP with coop info towards the bottom, hopefully next Saturday will be productive though having some games on hand can help people have them installed.

Feel free to offer suggestions.

Arizona Sunshine
    Vox Machinae
    Rec Room (requires a Rec Room account to play)
    Star Trek Bridge Crew (uplay friends required to coop easier, my Uplay ID is Renegade_Karoz)
    Trickster VR or it's F2P Trickster Horde Mode

all come to mind

Thanks for putting that together! Downloading Trickster Horde Attack tonight, and I already have full Trickster installed.

Kime mentioned Failspace in the chat; has anyone tried it? It looks like Bridge Crew, but with more complex ship-fixing and free movement on board the ship. https://store.steampowered.com/app/971650/Failspace/

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It's getting Mixed ratings so that's all I know about it.

Downloaded Trickster Horde Attack as well.

See y'all tomorrow (for me) at 11pm UTC

Karoz on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I just showed my wife IL DIVINO - Michelangelo's Sistine Ceiling in VR. While I haven't spent much time with it myself, the impression I have is that it's a great way of having a closer look at, and learning about, the Sistine Chapel and Michelangelo's paintings. It's free on Steam, so anyone who enjoys that aspect of VR should check it out.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    If ya'll haven't play Tea for God yet, then you should give it a shot. It's really good.

https://void-room.itch.io/tea-for-god

Casually Hardcore on
    And now we have scientific proof that Beat Saber is good exercise. They quasi-equate it to playing Tennis.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    New VR Walking Dead game that just came out is getting rave reviews.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/916840/The_Walking_Dead_Saints__Sinners/

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The Tested guys gave it a pretty in-depth review if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CnIGE3ALd0

Tested has good VR reviews; GB is funnier, but sometimes Norm's unreserved enthusiasm is more informative.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    hrm

I don't think I can do survival horror in VR. I can't really do it in non-VR :lol:

Edit: I also don't do well with "ticking clock" type of games. So I'm glad it's doing well, but I think it's maybe not for me :D

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote: »
    hrm

I don't think I can do survival horror in VR. I can't really do it in non-VR :lol:

Edit: I also don't do well with "ticking clock" type of games. So I'm glad it's doing well, but I think it's maybe not for me :D

Yeah, I like the idea of looting post apocalypse houses, but I'm not sure about the time pressure. I was trained by jrpgs to wring every last item from an area

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Slickdeals says the Odyssey+ is down to $230 with free shipping, direct from Samsung, although for people willing to buy from Oculus my impression is that the Rift S has better tracking, and will probably have better support. I haven't heard about anything new for WMR from Microsoft in months.

And February's almost here, so the Index might be coming back into stock soon, too.

Had a good time playing Trickster VR with templewulf on Sunday after we couldn't figure out how to get the Horde Mode multi to work.

Definitely recommend.

Hopefully more people on next Saturday, but hey you do you!

• ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Slickdeals says the Odyssey+ is down to $230 with free shipping, direct from Samsung, although for people willing to buy from Oculus my impression is that the Rift S has better tracking, and will probably have better support. I haven't heard about anything new for WMR from Microsoft in months.

And February's almost here, so the Index might be coming back into stock soon, too.

There are rumours and leaked pictures of a new Samsung VR headset with 4 cameras. No idea on specs are this point.

Odyssey+ is still the best OLED screen available, so if you're flying in the black (Elite, etc) it's a great choice.

8R7BtLw.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Great little clip if you want to see just how intense Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AchingLiveFlyingsquirrel-mobile.mp4

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Great little clip if you want to see just how intense Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is:

That's cool and all, but I was hoping it would be a little more like ZombiU where one grab and you're dead.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »

That's cool and all, but I was hoping it would be a little more like ZombiU where one grab and you're dead.

That might be a bit too intense with the combination both the volume of zombies and VR.

edited January 2020
    Yeah, templewulf and I found the 1 shot deaths in Rec Rooms arcadey rooms rather harsh?

Thankfully a simple high five revives a downed player assuming the survivors aren't gunned down soon after.

Karoz on
    Karoz wrote: »
    Yeah, templewulf and I found the 1 shot deaths in Rec Rooms arcadey rooms rather harsh?
    Are you referring to Rec Room in Oculus? I wasn't aware there were games in the app! I only visited it once and I was brought to a campfire. I wandered around a bit, but there was a crowd around this one guy who was preaching what I felt was political fascist bullshit without letting anyone else have a say, so I starting lighting sparklers on the fire and threw them at him. It didn't deter him, but I had people turning around to see where the hell they were coming from. It got old, so I left and never returned. I figured it was just an app for people to sit around and talk about whatever, which wasn't exactly in my interest.

Yeah Rec Room has the main lobby with some small games (and people) but then access official or player generated content games such as a castlevania knock off.

We were on Steam but I would imagine there is crossplay.

As for sit around and chat there is Vr chat for that.

edited January 2020
    My buddy just shared this with me: bHpaticks kit for the Quest
    https://youtu.be/chq_uUo8sSM
    It's pretty awesome, but there is no way that I am willing to throw down over $1,000 down for peripherals. I'd love to try it out, though

Le_Goat on
    And apparently Beat Saber just released 3 new tracks for free, all by Cametek: Exit This Earth's Atmosphere, Ghost, and Light it Up

And apparently Beat Saber just released 3 new tracks for free, all by Cametek: Exit This Earth's Atmosphere, Ghost, and Light it Up

Ghost!? Fuck, thank you for telling me!