As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    urahonky wrote: »
    Do you guys have any suggestions for games that get you moving, very similar to how Beat Saber is. Playing these levels on Normal and I'm getting my heart rate up. Just curious if there's anything else like this... Maybe even like a boxing game or fitness game.
    SynthRiders is my go to for this. For reference, I am/was an amateur triathlete - although my last competitions was several years ago, I am still in what most would consider "good shape" for my age. One hour of SynthRiders will have me literally dripping with sweat. It looks very similar to Beat Saber but plays completely differently. You don't -need- to move you feet/body, but the music and scoring of the game make it very easy to do so and before you know it you're twirling around and bouncing form foot to foot.
    Speaking of which... Are there any good coop VR games? We have two sets at home now and I think it'd be cool if there was one.
    My favorite co-op VR game so far has been Werewolves Within, which is basically "One Night Ultimate Werewolf" but with the moderator role played by an AI. There's literally zero locomotion so it's really easy for VR newbies to play without triggering the motion sickness monster. I'm not sure how much (even IF) it is still supported or played, but it was my go-to back in the day. I'm still looking for something similar.
    Edit - looks like Werewolves Within stopped being supported two years ago and is essentially a "dead" game at this point. Still boggles my mind that there are no social deduction games in VR!!

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Among Us VR is now a thing

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of which... Are there any good coop VR games? We have two sets at home now and I think it'd be cool if there was one.

To add some to the ones already mentioned:
    Propagation VR
    Gunheart
    The Forest
    Gorilla Tag
    Phasmophobia
    Population 1

I've been wanting to play Hover Junkers with a group. Matchmaking is dead, but if we get some PAers together it would be a lot of fun.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

There were surprisingly good vr reproductions in VR chat. Wonder if they get shut down

I would download a car.
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »

There were surprisingly good vr reproductions in VR chat. Wonder if they get shut down

Nope, and 300+ players currently playing it. Good on the devs for leaving it alone.

(When copyright holders finally notice vrchat it will be the end of vrchat. I highly recommend exploring its many worlds before that time comes.)

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Once again I consider a Quest 2 because an all-in-one headset that I can optionally connect to my PC is exactly what I want

And again I am rebuffed by the thought of giving Marky Zucks my money and data

Maybe soon, something will fill the same niche for less than a thousand dollars

The Lynx R1 and HTC Vive XR Elite both seem to fit the bill and will be out Soon™️. The upcoming headsets from Valve, Apple, and PiMax are farther out, but also may not come in under $1000

The Lynx seems like the least predatory one, but the tech seems… strange to me, I don’t know if it’s what I’m looking for or not, I can’t tell

The Vive one seems great but it is also $1,100 bucks! I guess if you take into account that it comes with five games maybe that drops to less but dang yo. Dang.

I’m really just here to get one to play my spaceship flying games and maybe watch a movie! That’s a deep cut to the wallet!

Lynx is the headset I backed on Kickstarter, and I like that it does everything. VR, AR, standalone, PC wireless, PC wired, etc.

But as a backer, it's been rough. Due to being a new, small company, factories put them on the back burner when the supply chain collapsed. They've been very transparent about it, but since they got bumped to the back of the line, it's delivering 8+ months after their longest estimate 😩

It's less state of the art than other upcoming hmds: medium-good resolution, no diopter, no eye tracking, controllers won't even be ready by launch. That said, I like what they're doing, and it's ready to go for hand tracking in PC VR, which will cover my main games.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited January 2023

A couple months ago a grown adult started recording videos of him scaring the crap out of little kids in Among Us VR. I have to admit, I laughed and laughed. There are hours of videos of it online.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Demeo is great for coop. You can play just the two of you or with a group of 4.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Phasmo and Valheim are prob my two fav coop pieces.

Phasmo is pretty freaky though, and we organically designated ghost-bait person. This person isn't always pleased but this is the way.

• Options
    Dixon wrote: »

Phasmo is pretty freaky though, and we organically designated ghost-bait person. This person isn't always pleased but this is the way.

I ended up ghost bait more than once because I used teleport controls instead of thumbstick, and at the time their teleport controls just didn't consider a bunch of the level navigable. Especially in the spooky ghost attic lmao

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    There's absolutely no way I'll be able to get my wife to play Phasmo. That game in VR scared the SHIT out of me lol.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    templewulf wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »

I ended up ghost bait more than once because I used teleport controls instead of thumbstick, and at the time their teleport controls just didn't consider a bunch of the level navigable. Especially in the spooky ghost attic lmao

Yeah the navigation is funny.

I’ve had a couple of times where two of us scramble to the same corner, and we know at least one of us is dead as the ghost nears. Possibly both.

Then through trying to squeeze yourself as tight as possible into the corner you phase through the house and pop outside, leaving the other person to their demise.

At that point you pray they can hear your hearty laughter as the ghost chokes them out.

Dixon on
  • Options
    I picked up the BoboVR M2 headstrap for the Quest 2 because I saw lots of people recommend it... And the strap itself is great. It's way more comfortable than the stock headstrap... The problem is that it lets in WAY too much light. I have adjusted it for almost an hour but there's an area where it must have a large gap on both sides. I don't know how to resolve it without getting a piece of cloth and jamming it on the sides.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I picked up the BoboVR M2 headstrap for the Quest 2 because I saw lots of people recommend it... And the strap itself is great. It's way more comfortable than the stock headstrap... The problem is that it lets in WAY too much light. I have adjusted it for almost an hour but there's an area where it must have a large gap on both sides. I don't know how to resolve it without getting a piece of cloth and jamming it on the sides.

This seems to be a complaint for a lot of the 3rd party faceplates and straps. I've been doing a bit more sweaty gaming in my Rift S, so have been looking at getting a none-foam face plate. But I've been dithering on the purchase due to so many reviews saying the fit isn't great for letting light in.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    I would like to dip into VR with a hassle-free solution and by not providing even more data to the Zuck. Would you still recommend the Valve Index, or is it way out of date nowadays?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    I would like to dip into VR with a hassle-free solution and by not providing even more data to the Zuck. Would you still recommend the Valve Index, or is it way out of date nowadays?

Sadly, there is nothing on the market as hassle-free or versatile or cost-effective as the Quest 2. And I have a hard time recommending the index as it is now many years old with no updates and still 5x the cost.

You can get better screens, better motion fidelity, better controllers... but all come at the cost of being pretty far from plug and play, or non-invasive in your living space regarding things like lighthouses.

If you are willing to spend cash for privacy, take a look at Vive's latest that was announced at CES. The Vive XR Elite looks like everything the Quest is, with some nicer hardware, and no meta data tracking... but it comes at a cost.

https://www.vive.com/us/product/vive-xr-elite/overview/

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Dratatoo wrote: »

The Index has lighthouse tracking, so I'm not sure if that counts as "hassle-free" to you, but most producers are moving toward an inside-out tracking solution. I wouldn't say the Index is "way" out of date, but the price hasn't dropped to reflect how it's aging out behind newer headsets, so it's still $1000 for something that is mid-grade at this point. I wouldn't recommend it at that price, even if I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

As you're aware, the Quest is subsidized by hooking you into the FB ecosystem, and the Pico 4 is run by TikTok's parent company, so the cheapest options are Zuck or Chinese Zuck. So any alternatives are naturally going to be more expensive.

I'd recommend looking into:
    * Lynx R1- Releasing now (but fulfilling kickstarter pledges first), does standalone and PC, supposedly best hand tracking and pass-through, but it will only have hand tracking at launch until their controllers come out *months* later.
    * Vive XR Elite - Releasing in Feb, great features, does standalone and PC, inside-out tracking, but mega spendy
    * HP Reverb G2 (ver 2) - it doesn't do standalone (you need a powerful PC), and it doesn't have hand-tracking or best-in-class controller tracking, but it has a great display and is the cheapest of these options

If you check out any of the current or upcoming headsets on VR Compare, you can see how their features and prices line up. E.g. https://www.vr-compare.com/compare?h1=U8sFIheUl&h2=pDTZ02PkT&h3=nlolwv0lx

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Meta just raw-dogged Quest Pro early adopters by doing a $400 price drop within 3 months of release. I hope they offer some app store credit or accessories for those that already bought it at full price.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular

I've not posted in years, and can't recall what headset you're on, but I've got two Quests (Q1 and Q2) and play a fair bit with my daughter. These are wonderful, most are PC too I think:

- Walkabout Golf. It's hard to sell how amazing this mini-golf game is, it's so detailed, it's really chill, the courses are amazing and there's loads to explore (you can fly, and all sorts)

- Half + Half. This has one of my fave VR mini games in it. The game is free on the Quest store and is a collection of multiplayer games. Most are rubbish, but Hide and Seek is amazing. Half the party shrink and move with a slingshot (think Budgetcuts), whereas the other half grow to be giants and walk by swinging arms. The tiny people get 30 seconds to hide, then have to fire themselves around the map collecting orbs, the giants have to find them and hit them with a gravity ball thingy. I THINK this is Quest exclusive, so out if you've only got PCVR.

- Cook Out. A bit like Overcooked but with less motion. You feed hungry mythical creatures together. It's wonderful fun.

- Rec Room. Probably heard of this. A bit "VR Chat"-ish I guess, lots of different game modes, loadsa fun.

- Arizona Sunshine. Old but I still think it holds up, even if player animations are weird.

I've been playing a fair few "VR vs Non-VR" games lately too. My daughter had some mates over and "Late for Work" went down well. It's a bit janky, but one person plays a giant ape who throws buildings at people, the others play on pads as tanks/planes/cars and have to either shoot or escape the ape. Lots of fun was had. Split screen 4 player on PC, and then the VR player.

Also Panoptic was great, VR player is a giant eye/overlord. The PC player is placed in a giant mine with hundreds of workers going about their business. THey have to blend in with them and try and sabotage these crystal things. The VR player has to figure out which of the many identical looking NPCs is actually the PC Player and zap them.

Aerospace security is also pretty fun for this. It's also clunky, and old, but as the VR player you have to hide forbidden items in your luggage. The PC player works on the luggage scanner and has to identify the items based on the xray.

Anyway, I only poked my head in to this thread to see if people were excited for the PSVR2? I'm looking at picking up a PS5 just to get one :)

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I am indeed very excited about PSVR2, there’s several months’ worth of hlprmnky Recreation Time Budget just in the already-announced launch titles, plus Horizon is my kid’s Important Game, so I expect the device to be in heavy use pretty much for the foreseeable future.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm much more hyped for PSVR2 than I was for PS5.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Started having audio issues with my Oculus CV1 recently. I can detach the headphone stalks and start using my own headphones, but the poor thing is on its last legs now. It is so frustrating that there's not a clear option to replace it right now. The $400 discount on Quest Pro sounds tempting until I remembered it's still over a grand with that. And it's also still Facebook, which I've wanted to switch away from ever since they bought Oculus.

Dang it Valve, finish the Deckard already.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    McFodder wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm much more hyped for PSVR2 than I was for PS5.

Yeah, I really like my PS5, but as someone who has barely dipped his toe into VR, this is going to be a completely new frontier for me.

CMON BABY DADDY NEEDS HIS GIANT VR DINOBOTS

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, getting into VR with the PSVR2 is going to be mind blowing.

My first VR experience was... more subdued.

e2heh7vt0uav.jpg

As humble as that scene was, it still managed to bring tears to my eyes when I first saw it. That first moment of seeing wholly virtual objects solidly anchored in space and the promise of new worlds and adventures that would follow... It was no GIANT DINOBOT but it hinted at the giant dinobots to come.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Meta just raw-dogged Quest Pro early adopters by doing a $400 price drop within 3 months of release. I hope they offer some app store credit or accessories for those that already bought it at full price.

Oof, yeah, that'll show those enthusiast early adopters >.<

• Options
    Man I gotta say that the worst part about VR is that you have to be in the right frame of mind to fire it up. I've been super stressed and exhausted these past two weeks and my VR time is at almost zero.

• Options
    For me it's more a physical thing. I was super jazzed to get PSVR2 in a few weeks, but this last week I suffered a minor physical thing that made it impossible for me to sit or stand for more than a few minutes and my level of excitement dropped to "maybe I should cancel my preorder" levels. I'm almost past that now and I'm starting to feel excited about it again!

26904.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    GSM wrote: »

e2heh7vt0uav.jpg

As humble as that scene was, it still managed to bring tears to my eyes when I first saw it. That first moment of seeing wholly virtual objects solidly anchored in space and the promise of new worlds and adventures that would follow... It was no GIANT DINOBOT but it hinted at the giant dinobots to come.

My first experience with VR a few years ago was shocking, because it exceeded my expectations so much. About 25 years ago I was at a convention and I tried on a "VR" headset playing Doom, and it was basically just, you turn your head, and the view kinda jerkily tries to keep up. It was completely unplayable.

And i expected that modern VR must be better than that, but I still expected some sort of lag or compromise as far as head tracking goes, especially since it was just using my smart phone.

Except the head tracking was perfect. You move your head, your vision his with it. A lot of the graphics were like PS2 level at best, but it didn't matter, becausei was in the video game, looking at stuff just by moving my head around.

It was revelatory. And that was with shitty phone games with some screen dooring like you wouldn't believe.

I am pumped.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    GSM wrote: »

e2heh7vt0uav.jpg

My first experience with VR a few years ago was shocking, because it exceeded my expectations so much. About 25 years ago I was at a convention and I tried on a "VR" headset playing Doom, and it was basically just, you turn your head, and the view kinda jerkily tries to keep up. It was completely unplayable.

And i expected that modern VR must be better than that, but I still expected some sort of lag or compromise as far as head tracking goes, especially since it was just using my smart phone.

Except the head tracking was perfect. You move your head, your vision his with it. A lot of the graphics were like PS2 level at best, but it didn't matter, becausei was in the video game, looking at stuff just by moving my head around.

It was revelatory. And that was with shitty phone games with some screen dooring like you wouldn't believe.

I am pumped.

I think I played that same convention Doom VR game at an amusement park in the 90s! It was really cool and totally impractical, and in retrospect I'm surprised it didn't make me nauseous.

And now we've got VR that feels like the biggest jump in the medium since 2D to 3D. It's hard to even articulate how big a deal it is to anyone who isn't already hooked

• Options
    I think for me cv1 was the first experience with that little robot demo. I was just blown away.

I loaded up the google map application second. During the loading screen, I remember standing in the mountain range as the sun rises and when the sunlight hit me I could feel the warmth. My brain was ready for it.

Right after that, I woke up my very pregnant wife and had her try. I've got this photo of her with the headset on, all the cables while she's in undies. It's kind of a like alternate universe Weapon X (Wolverine) style.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The 6dof was mindblowing for me after so many lackluster 3d experiences. If theatres could offer a pseudo-6dof for 3d movies, I'd watch 3d movies damn near every time. One of the biggest frustrations I have with (good) 3d movies is when you feel like you could shift your head a little and see around objects. I don't need to be able to walk around the theatre, but I feel like I ought to be able to shift in my seat and see a little bit of movement on screen.

• Options
    Looks like Reality Labs (part of Meta) lost $13.7B last year. That, to me, is an unfathomable amount of money. I'm not even sure how a small to medium-sized business can spend that much on... well, anything. It's not like they have literally millions of employees in hundreds worldwide. Maybe I'm completely wrong about this, but I thought Reality Labs is in like, maybe two or three locations and only employ maybe a couple thousand people at most? How do you drop nearly $14B in a single year?

Facebook (Meta) as a whole was exceptionally profitable, so I guess they're still in the game.

26904.png
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Whole bunch of GT7 PSVR2 hands-on impressions came out overnight and pretty much all loving it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9YZxGwHfrQ
    Even IGN's video was positive! And they've been pretty down on the PSVR2 in general.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpnvFGObiKQ

This might be the start of some....actual marketing?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Does anyone know whether the (fan-made) Blade Runner VR experience is still available and still works? It's basically a recreation of Deckard's apartment, and I remember it being pretty damn atmospheric - as it would be, I guess. Because it's such a small, self-contained and dark environment, it also looked really, really nice, if I remember correctly.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    I think it got DMCA blasted at one point, but there exists a version in the current refuge of DMCA-violating VR content...

Deckards Apartment By ABRAXXAS
    https://vrchat.com/home/world/wrld_ea1b371e-95d3-4883-9e97-5ad747bb6164

So at least you can still visit, and be Shrek while you're there (or anything else you want to be).

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    You can still download the version I played in a couple of places on the internet, but I don't know if it still works on current VR runtimes. Here's a video of it in action:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTvIQYGqOQo

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    The one in VRChat is the exact same thing, because the original was built in Unity and VRChat worlds are just Unity projects uploaded through a custom package builder. So either the original creator just converted their own project file, or somebody else decompiled it and uploaded that.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    PSVR2 headset technical teardown
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYhngu66Ccc

PSVR2 Sense controller teardown
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYN98lMbyDE

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
    Those are really interesting, but I would love to have a version with subtitles. I feel like there are lot of details I'm missing out on by trying to guess what is being shown (with the occasional exception of words I recognize, like "IR LED").

• Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    Windburn wrote: »
    Those are really interesting, but I would love to have a version with subtitles. I feel like there are lot of details I'm missing out on by trying to guess what is being shown (with the occasional exception of words I recognize, like "IR LED").

You should be able to turn on subtitles by clicking the little [cc] button in the lower right corner of both videos. It worked for me at least...