Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Question for you folks.. Do you know of a VR game where you cook food for people and it's not too intense? Or maybe a coffee shop or something? My 9 year old loves this coffee shop game on her phone and I thought there has to be a good one for VR. We have steam and the quest 2.

I think office job simulator has a cafe setting. Its tongue in cheek but it might fit the Bill.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Question for you folks.. Do you know of a VR game where you cook food for people and it's not too intense? Or maybe a coffee shop or something? My 9 year old loves this coffee shop game on her phone and I thought there has to be a good one for VR. We have steam and the quest 2.
    VR diner duo is fun and coop. The vr player is the cook and the pc player is the waiter that must convey orders to them.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

I think office job simulator has a cafe setting. Its tongue in cheek but it might fit the Bill.

I love Office Job Simulator but it might be a little too... simple. However she may really enjoy it so I'll definitely give it a shot! I was looking for something a bit more... Gamey? Like you start your own business and people just flood in to buy stuff and you make it for them and get money to buy upgrades or something like that. If that makes sense.
    Madpoet wrote: »
    VR diner duo is fun and coop. The vr player is the cook and the pc player is the waiter that must convey orders to them.

I looked at that! I was worried there would be two goggles required. So I can play on the PC and she can use the headset?

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    The only one coming to mind similar to what you're after (from what I've heard) might be a bit iffy for kids just because it's actually about serving drinks - though nothing says they have to be alcoholic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCRCoGJnNeI

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

I love Office Job Simulator but it might be a little too... simple. However she may really enjoy it so I'll definitely give it a shot! I was looking for something a bit more... Gamey? Like you start your own business and people just flood in to buy stuff and you make it for them and get money to buy upgrades or something like that. If that makes sense.

I looked at that! I was worried there would be two goggles required. So I can play on the PC and she can use the headset?

Cooking Simulator VR is a good bet as well.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1358140/Cooking_Simulator_VR/

• Options
    Qanamil wrote: »

Cooking Simulator VR is a good bet as well.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1358140/Cooking_Simulator_VR/

I actually bought this one just to try it. It might be a little more in depth than I was expecting. I was hoping to split the difference between Job Simulator and this game lol. But I think she'll like it... Just need to find the time to get this headset strapped to her head lol

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I keep hoping the bug with my Quest 2 not charging except in the Boot Select menu will be fixed in an update, but it seems it's here to stay. It has to be a software problem or it wouldn't charge at all, but maybe not. Can't be bothered with the hassle of sending it back as long as it does charge and been doing this for months.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with prescription lens inserts for VR goggles? Thinking about getting some but not sure which brands are reputable vs junk.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with prescription lens inserts for VR goggles? Thinking about getting some but not sure which brands are reputable vs junk.

I got vr optician. They were good, kinda expensive but that was mostly from my perscription. Do note that they narrow the FOV, since they block the edges.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    VR Optician here as well, have been happy with them.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I got the one for my Rift1 that worked well. You buy the plastic piece of their site and then you buy the lenses from Zenni Optical to put in it. The downside is that the plastic dug into my face a bunch.

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »

I got vr optician. They were good, kinda expensive but that was mostly from my perscription. Do note that they narrow the FOV, since they block the edges.

Was the edge thing from the lenses in general or yours specifically?

And thanks

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

And thanks

In general. The mounting mechanism needs like an inch to have enough clearance to not touch the headset lenses, which moves it that much closer to your eyes

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I got the one for my Rift1 that worked well. You buy the plastic piece of their site and then you buy the lenses from Zenni Optical to put in it. The downside is that the plastic dug into my face a bunch.

The tipping point for getting a 3d printer was being able to make myself one of these (for the CV1):

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1602460

and it's worked just fine -- I can't tell if there's reduced field of view or anything, it just generally seems okay, but I don't have anything to compare against, I always use it. (it doesn't poke my face noticeably, at least)

• Options

And thanks

In general. The mounting mechanism needs like an inch to have enough clearance to not touch the headset lenses, which moves it that much closer to your eyes

Ah, well I use the extender thing, so maybe that will offset some.

• Options

The tipping point for getting a 3d printer was being able to make myself one of these (for the CV1):

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1602460

and it's worked just fine -- I can't tell if there's reduced field of view or anything, it just generally seems okay, but I don't have anything to compare against, I always use it. (it doesn't poke my face noticeably, at least)

This is the thing I bought haha

• Options
    So Beat Saber is on PSVR2 now, free upgrade from PSVR1, and all extra tracks you've bought carry across too which is unusually nice! Also a new Queen music pack to buy!
    Included songs are:
    Another One Bites the Dust
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love
    Don’t Stop Me Now
    I Want It All
    Killer Queen
    One Vision
    Somebody to Love
    Stone Cold Crazy
    We Are The Champions
    We Will Rock You

Got more of a look at Synapse which seems like a fun time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM_72Iix-Tw

Arizona Sunshine getting a sequel which I don't think had been announced
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab1wbeTKGNM

Also a Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted sequel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQbl3LlFR5Q

And got some gameplay footage of the RE4 Remake VR mode which looks like more goodness and is confirmed to be the full game
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_s9Ch6c4z0

No Astro announcement though which makes me sad.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Are they all coming to PCVR or am I getting shafted?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Are they all coming to PCVR or am I getting shafted?
    Synapse is a PSVR 2 exclusive.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1540210/Arizona_Sunshine_2/
    No official word on Help Wanted 2.
    Resident Evil 4 VR used to be a Oculus Quest 2 exclusive, but it's not clear if the PSVR 2 is going to be a one off or the start of releases on other platforms.

• Options
    Dang that Synapse looks cool.

I just assumed the RE4 was based on the remake, I def wouldn't mind getting that officially on PC.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Is Synapse a rogue-like? It seems like that is what it was implying.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    As much as I love the idea of Synapse, a shooter in VR seems like a non-starter (for me). I get motion sickness from some flat-screen FPS games - playing something like that in VR is a sure trip to vomittown (for me).

Looks like a neat concept though. I really enjoyed the physical challenge of aiming in Saints and Sinners for the 35 minutes I could play that one.

I should "train" myself to play longer in VR at some point, but it's not super high on my priority list currently.

26904.png
  • Options
    Yeah, RE4 on PSVR2 is part of the remake, not the Quest version. Pretty sure RE:Village only got VR mods on PC, not the official version, so imagine that may be similar with Sony paying for the VR conversion.

Arizona Sunshine 2 has a Steam page already
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1540210/Arizona_Sunshine_2/

Can't find any info on other platforms for Help Wanted 2, but the first one ended up coming to pretty much everything.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Mind you, from what I've seen and heard, the PC VR mods for Resident Evil look pretty good - as good as many native PC VR games.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    As much as I love the idea of Synapse, a shooter in VR seems like a non-starter (for me). I get motion sickness from some flat-screen FPS games - playing something like that in VR is a sure trip to vomittown (for me).

Looks like a neat concept though. I really enjoyed the physical challenge of aiming in Saints and Sinners for the 35 minutes I could play that one.

I should "train" myself to play longer in VR at some point, but it's not super high on my priority list currently.

Is that in teleport-move as well, or just joystick-move? I play most stuff in teleport-move, which is a little suboptimal in terms of game effectiveness, but I find it much more comfortable

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

Is that in teleport-move as well, or just joystick-move? I play most stuff in teleport-move, which is a little suboptimal in terms of game effectiveness, but I find it much more comfortable
    Teleport locomotion works very well for me and I can sit/stand/play games that have click-traversal for hours. Case in point, I played several multiple-hour sessions of Song in the Smoke with no problems using the click-to-move feature. I've just accepted that smooth locomotion will never feel right to me.

26904.png
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Mind you, from what I've seen and heard, the PC VR mods for Resident Evil look pretty good - as good as many native PC VR games.

I played the VR for two, and while it was decent, the setup and menu interaction was painful.

It does a decent enough job overal but you still won’t mistake it for a native VR game.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

Teleport locomotion works very well for me and I can sit/stand/play games that have click-traversal for hours. Case in point, I played several multiple-hour sessions of Song in the Smoke with no problems using the click-to-move feature. I've just accepted that smooth locomotion will never feel right to me.

Oh, does Synapse not have a teleport option? I might skip it then, I've gotten enough VR games from bundles that I don't need to subject myself to that

One time, my wife got to do some alpha testing for a big-license game that I'm not allowed to name, and it used a lot of brachiated motion (i.e., swinging from overhead trees, pipes, etc), but any time you weren't doing that it would forcefully turn your camera and move you around, and it was the worst I've ever felt in VR.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »

I played the VR for two, and while it was decent, the setup and menu interaction was painful.

It does a decent enough job overal but you still won’t mistake it for a native VR game.

Yeah, I haven't played either but from what I've seen the PC mods looked fantastic but didn't include the dual wielding stuff, grabbing items from your jacket, that kinda stuff.

I've also heard very strong words about the headset haptics when you use the shotgun.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    wvcx4brn8p75.png

Apparently some of the specs of the Apple header.

Obviously take with a grain of salt. They seem extreme. 4K per eye.

Dixon on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Probably close to 4k per headset too.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Heh I still feel like I'm in a place where my biggest constraint is PC horsepower, even with the Index not being the shiniest toy in the toybox anymore.

With my 2070 Super it definitely still needed quite a bit more horsepower to hit the resolution specs of an Index on higher end VR stuff like NMS or modded Skyrim, with plenty of sliders not dialled to maximum. That's without even attempting 120 hz on that kind of stuff.

I moved into a new place and still need to clear some space to give it another spin, as I now have a 4070 and am excited to see how those run now. Modded Skyrim was definitely pushing my VRAM and just about everything else to its limit, so that one should be especially fun to mess around with now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Meta Quest III was finally revealed, and they had their games showcase. They showed a bunch of new stuff. I just hope some of this ends up on PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOkoStz19yo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rt2iuTVAcU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUc6hNaZuJ4

Edit: there's more, but these were the ones that interested me

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    I saw in the trailer someone doing DnD

I hope they are actively working on that, my two main gaming buddies live 2 and 4 hours away and would be a great way to connect.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    The Vampire VR game has some really nice lighting for a mobile VR game. Maybe that's from running only on a Quest 3? The sneaking and painterly texture work makes me think it's going to feel like an Arkane/Dishonored experience. I hope it has some immersive sim stuff.

edit: @Dixon I don't think that was DnD, I think that passthrough VR example was Demeo, which is more of a board game than adventure roleplaying. Still very DnD-flavored, though.

GSM on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Bulletstorm VR

I....what?

I mean, Bulletstorm DID have one of the most memorable lines I've ever heard ("If you follow me, I WILL kill your dick!" "What? What does that even mean? I'm gonna kill YOUR dick!") but, like...was there much clamor for more? I don't even remember when it came out, but it was a long ass time ago.

• Options
    GSM wrote: »
    The Vampire VR game has some really nice lighting for a mobile VR game. Maybe that's from running only on a Quest 3? The sneaking and painterly texture work makes me think it's going to feel like an Arkane/Dishonored experience. I hope it has some immersive sim stuff.

edit: @Dixon I don't think that was DnD, I think that passthrough VR example was Demeo, which is more of a board game than adventure roleplaying. Still very DnD-flavored, though.

Ah damn, thanks for the heads up. I had not heard of that before and just made my assumption.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Bulletstorm VR

I....what?

I mean, Bulletstorm DID have one of the most memorable lines I've ever heard ("If you follow me, I WILL kill your dick!" "What? What does that even mean? I'm gonna kill YOUR dick!") but, like...was there much clamor for more? I don't even remember when it came out, but it was a long ass time ago.

It's not more Bulletstorm, it's just... Bulletstorm again, but VR this time. It's an old-enough game that they can port it to their new mobile headset. All they had to do was replace the inputs, character controller system, and rendering pipeline (and a lot of additional VR-specific considerations, I'm sure) but leave most of the the assets and game logic untouched. It's cheaper than making a big narrative game from scratch, since all the art/music/audio/mechanics are already done. Bulletstorm was a pretty good example of the "destroyed beauty" aesthetic trend popularized by Gears of War, so it'll at least be interesting to see that style from within VR. (There's actually a lot of Gears maps ripped and uploaded to VR Chat, and I can confirm they're fun to just explore all by themselves).

GSM on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    GSM wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Bulletstorm VR

I....what?

It's not more Bulletstorm, it's just... Bulletstorm again, but VR this time. It's an old-enough game that they can port it to their new mobile headset. All they had to do was replace the inputs, character controller system, and rendering pipeline (and a lot of additional VR-specific considerations, I'm sure) but leave most of the the assets and game logic untouched. It's cheaper than making a big narrative game from scratch, since all the art/music/audio/mechanics are already done. Bulletstorm was a pretty good example of the "destroyed beauty" aesthetic trend popularized by Gears of War, so it'll at least be interesting to see that style from within VR. (There's actually a lot of Gears maps ripped and uploaded to VR Chat, and I can confirm they're fun to just explore all by themselves).

Ah (Apologies, I don't get audio at work so I just sort of skimmed through the video and didn't realize it was the exact same game, just VRed).

But this is still kind of weird. Although...a bunch of native VR ports of older games you say?.....Hmmmmmmm

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Ok this makes me happy.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2451320/Bulletstorm_VR/

Despite the announcement appearing in a Meta event, despite the trailer having no platform logos but Meta, it's releasing on Steam. Thank you, People Can Fly.

GSM on