Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    GSM wrote: »
    Ok this makes me happy.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2451320/Bulletstorm_VR/

Despite the announcement appearing in a Meta event, despite the trailer having no platform logos but Meta, it's releasing on Steam. Thank you, People Can Fly.

"You shit piles give chase, I will your dicks in VR!"
    "What? What does that even mean? You're gonna kill my dick in VR?"
    "I'll kill your dick in VR! How 'bout that, huh?"

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I want more Bulletstorm, that game was fun and the writing was at least not more of the same. May pick it up in VR if turns out well.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Apple throwing their hat into the ring. ...sorta? I'm not sure if $3.5k is actually entering the ring, idk who this is for. You can get an Index and a KAT Walk C 2 VR Treadmill for less than that price. But who knows, maybe this is the next iPhone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX9qSaGXFyg

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Apple throwing their hat into the ring. ...sorta? I'm not sure if $3.5k is actually entering the ring, idk who this is for. You can get an Index and a KAT Walk C 2 VR Treadmill for less than that price. But who knows, maybe this is the next iPhone.

discussing this elsewhere on the forum... but this is a devkit with some consumer polish on it, and I am pretty sure apple expects to sell way less than a million of them in the first year.

They are doing this so that companies, universities and interested devs can start playing with it to see if novel use cases emerge. They are definitely not trying to make a consumer competitor to the quest quite yet.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    No controllers, no artificial locomotion, no immersive games, only AR experiences with a whole HMD on.

I guess this is how VR comes to the masses. In the most boring way imaginable.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    A note is it's entirely self-contained. AFAIK most headsets do require a PC hookup, yeah? I did some browsing for "doesn't need a computer" and the selection seemed pretty sparse when I looked. Fairly inexperienced estimation puts this thinger well ahead of the average standalone headset in terms of hardware/capability, for whatever that's worth.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    My take is that Apple means what they say: they don’t think of this as “VR”, they think of it as using lots of the tech and software innovations of VR to try and create a new modality for general purpose computing. The inability to mod the part where other people see a version of your eyes while taking to you with giant googly eyes seems like a pretty big miss to me, but maybe that will be the first million-seller app for these headsets.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I will damn near guarantee you someone has googly-eyes working internally, but I will also guarantee you nobody would allow them to show it off.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I assume you can run all the SteamVR stuff on an Occulus Rift S. Is my assumption true?

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I assume you can run all the SteamVR stuff on an Occulus Rift S. Is my assumption true?

Yup, no issues

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

Yup, no issues

That is where SteamVR kind of wins out. Backwards compatibility.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

discussing this elsewhere on the forum... but this is a devkit with some consumer polish on it, and I am pretty sure apple expects to sell way less than a million of them in the first year.

They are doing this so that companies, universities and interested devs can start playing with it to see if novel use cases emerge. They are definitely not trying to make a consumer competitor to the quest quite yet.

Also so in another 3 generations there will be a reasonably priced model with more features people want and a library of apps ready to take advantage.

The first generation of pretty much anything is for the hardcore early adopters.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »

Also so in another 3 generations there will be a reasonably priced model with more features people want and a library of apps ready to take advantage.

The first generation of pretty much anything is for the hardcore early adopters.

Idk if there's enough interest for there to be another 3 generations.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Idk if there's enough interest for there to be another 3 generations.

Disagree - I think there is potential interest, at least enough for apple to spend a few billion dollars to see if this could become the third platform for them (traditional compute, mobile devices like iPhone/iPad, mixed reality), all of which feed into each other, support marketplaces and accessories, etc.

If they succeed, this investment will be more annual billions for them, so I see apple pushing forward for a while.

Every hands on person said that the eye tracking and small movement UI is a sea level change that will probably be copied, and the mixed reality passthrough video is actually usable - like, work on your phone or computer or read something usable - you know its not actual analog (sometimes some compression artifacting was visible and it is overall slightly dimmer than reality), but it is completely usable and useful in a way that hasn't existed elsewhere yet.

This is a dev kit, folks. A very expensive devkit / experiment for apple, that a small number of diehards will buy for the consumer aspect, but will likely see most of its adoption by companies and engineers for the next year or two.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    A note is it's entirely self-contained. AFAIK most headsets do require a PC hookup, yeah? I did some browsing for "doesn't need a computer" and the selection seemed pretty sparse when I looked. Fairly inexperienced estimation puts this thinger well ahead of the average standalone headset in terms of hardware/capability, for whatever that's worth.

Nah -- the most popular headset series at the moment, the Quest, is standalone. So that part isn't anything particularly revolutionary. I'm sure this thing is more powerful, but for about 6x the cost of the upcoming Quest 3 which starts at $499. It's the "other" tech that is probably bumping up the price a lot -- ultimately it seems fancy and I'm all for pushing the field forward, but not a consumer model at all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If they can get the package down from Ski Goggles into something a bit more traditional, I could see it taking off. Being able to look at and connect to your laptop is pretty huge. It winds up being like a more useful Apple Watch in that case, and smart watches already have pretty reasonable market adoption.

• Options
    If they're already committing you to having a tethered portion of the device in your pocket, why did they stop at only offloading the battery? There's a lot more of that headset that could have been moved to the other end of the wire. They probably could have gotten the form factor down to something like the Bigscreen Beyond HMD if they had done that.

• Options
    GSM wrote: »
    If they're already committing you to having a tethered portion of the device in your pocket, why did they stop at only offloading the battery? There's a lot more of that headset that could have been moved to the other end of the wire. They probably could have gotten the form factor down to something like the Bigscreen Beyond HMD if they had done that.
    My guess is for inside out tracking, which the Bigscreen Beyond HMD doesn't do.

• Options
    Wiring it up with IR sensors like Bigscreen or tiny cameras like Apple doesn't prevent you from moving where the computer part sits. Not really following your line of thinking.

They showed a clip of a user disconnecting the battery line while still wearing the headset. What happens in that scenario? Does the whole thing just shut off immediately, or is there a backup battery onboard that keeps it alive just long enough for the user to connect a second battery?

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    My guess is that the not-on-your-head part is meant to be small enough to fit in a pocket; I'm sure they could move a bunch more stuff into a bigger box that would have to clip to a belt or something, but then it's that much more hassle to use.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

It's apple. The mass market price will probably still be north of 1k

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular

I was going to make a Google Glass joke here, but now I am more surprised to learn Goggle Glass ended production in 2023 and not 2013.

I also like how their video talks about how natural your facetime conversations become but only 1 person in that conversation is wearing the iSkiGoggle. If it somehow became popular, I think that'd only work if it acts like the F-35's helmet-mounted display system and could project other people's (avatar) faces over their goggle-ified faces, otherwise I imagine the only conversations can be about chalets and black diamonds.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

We're talking about freaking APPLE here. Do you honestly think that the "consumer price" will be 30% of the initial retail? Hell, compare this to the current iPhone prices. I'd be shocked to see this drop under three grand... ever.

26904.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    New beta version of virtual desktop out that supposedly really improves wireless image quality with higher bit rates.

I have questions though. What settings do you good people use with virtual desktop.

I'm using an rtx 4070 with a Quest 2 headset.

Is h.264 or hevc the better option?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

We're talking about freaking APPLE here. Do you honestly think that the "consumer price" will be 30% of the initial retail? Hell, compare this to the current iPhone prices. I'd be shocked to see this drop under three grand... ever.

Yeah I do.

This device is basically a mac pro-like thing. It is incredibly high end for the time, running on their newest laptop/desktop silicon, with way ahead of the curve display technology and impressive sensors.

My guess is a product with specs like this in a few years when costs come down and some creative material swaps, like using plastic instead of metal, will be sub 1000 dollars. maybe 899 or 999. And it will be called the Vision Air. Sitting beside it on the shelf will be a Vision Pro for anywhere from 1500-3000 dollars.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I still can't get over how it doesn't have controls. I don't trust hand gesture controls for anything but the most basic of basic functionality.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I also find that the controllers give me a much better sense that I'm holding something.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I still can't get over how it doesn't have controls. I don't trust hand gesture controls for anything but the most basic of basic functionality.

What it looks like to me is that their sensor array is just much better than what is being included on other devices, so basic ui function is probably just fine and will be accurate.

The demo videos showed people using keyboards and mice, laptops, and playstation controllers with it, so my guess is if there is a game or app that needs full fat controls, you probably have something already that plays nice with it.

What they are explicitly not doing is having custom VR-like one-handed controllers, since their target is direct personal interaction with the AR stuff.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    @Spoit asked me to a link to the referral doc and it made me realize that I haven't updated the software tab in a while. That said, I just took a bit of time and doubled the number of games on it, we are now up to 120 games with 25% off referral coupons.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ui-RMuLTjiqdZeDRutjl3JeneH1jXTk02V0sSHQmi8I/edit#gid=1177749886

And as a reminder, it's also linked in the OP.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Also, there's a really good humble bundle right now. Pistol whip and both Saints and sinners for $25

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    To the surprise of absolutely no one, Facebook's version of the "metaverse" is not looking like a winner.
    Insider revealed that Decentraland, arguably the largest and most relevant Metaverse platform, had only 38 active daily users. The Guardian reported that the monetized content ecosystem in Meta’s flagship product Horizon Worlds produced no more than $470 in revenue globally. Thirty-eight active users. Four hundred and seventy dollars. You’re not reading those numbers wrong.
    SOURCE

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    I told myself I wouldn't buy any more VR games until I'd cleared some backlog, and I'm currently deep in Tears of the Kingdom, but I've got some friends coming around to try out the PSVR2 on the weekend and Synapse just looks like too much fun so I caved. Looking forward to jumping in tonight.

• Options
    Looking to update my graphics card but I am hopeful of more vr options in the future, otherwise I guess I'll just settle on the quest 3 or whatever.

I do miss the weekly VR gatherings, faffing about in Payday 2 stealth missions was always a delight.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Looking to update my graphics card but I am hopeful of more vr options in the future, otherwise I guess I'll just settle on the quest 3 or whatever.

I do miss the weekly VR gatherings, faffing about in Payday 2 stealth missions was always a delight.

Yeah, I miss hanging with you folks!

I'm *hoping* my new headset gets here in the next month or so, and then I might just live in the virtual world to make up for lost time

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Update on Synapse: Smushing bad guys to death with a box using telekinesis is super satisfying.

Also way prettier than a mostly monochrome game should be.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    I picked synapse up with a psvr2 the other day as well and it was fun but I was very dissapointed with the amount of content. It took me about 3 and a half hours to complete my three runs to "finish" the game, and while they say the latter two runs are supposed to increase the difficulty I actually found them easier due to unlocks.

I think it'll be a good "show people VR" demo essentially but I was slightly dissapointed in it as a "game". If they'd at least gone with procedural level generation and had a few more enemy types or something to pad out the content it would be amazing though. I still enjoyed it, I did finish it in the same sitting I started it but man, it's just *so* close to greatness to be hamstrung by the content it makes me sad

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Yeah, I bought it now to show some friends, otherwise I'd probably have waited for a sale just because I hear there's not that much content. I'm not good at these kind of games though, so I'll probably get a lot longer out of it than you did.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    There's been a big breakthrough in adapting PSVR2 for SteamVR

iVRy was the person who adapted PSVR1 for PC, and they were initially skeptical about PSVR2. But I guess it was more possible than initially assessed https://vxtwitter.com/iVRy_VR/status/1680416154890665984

I don't have a PS5, so I'm not yet going to drop the cash on PSVR2 just based on faith in getting the whole thing working in the future. But if it works, that might become the best non-Facebook deal in PC headsets this generation

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    An interesting development I had not considered.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Got a buddy sending me his rarely used vive pro for cheap. I am excited! Already started looking into this gear vr lens upgrade thing though. I used a prescription lens insert for the vive when I had one, probably will want to get that again for this at some point I'm guessing. I've also got a deluxe audio headset still sitting around, not sure if that goes on the vive pro?