Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Dunno much about vive or pro, but prescription lens inserts will be a must...whenever I get a new vr set.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Just skip the small stuff and shoot lasers at your eyes to fix the issue instead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I've got a couple of hours played in Synapse now and as power fantasies go it's a fun one. Hearing the enemies talk about taking the higher ground only to yank them off a ledge and watch them arc gracefully through the air while catching a facefull of SMG bullets hasn't gotten old yet.

Haven't completed a run yet but got up to I think the second last level, the difficulty curve is definitely a bit weird though - as soon as you get the ability to grab enemies instead of just blocks and barrels it's like easy mode has been activated.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Has anyone here tried out the newish Subnautica mod, SubmersedVR? It looks like a major improvement on the game's previous VR support, including e.g. motion controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OSVtCSQpOE

They're not yet extending all of this to Below Zero, but I'm very much hoping that they will eventually. Subnautica, for all its jank, has been one of my favourite VR experiences, and I'd love to play Below Zero with better VR support.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    The little I tried of beta/early Subnautica VR was beautiful but just way too janky. It'd be cool to make it work and freak out as critters zip past me.

• Options
    Ahhh I had no idea, that looks awesome. I even like the "old" gamepad VR implementation, so that's great.

The issue of course being that it's fucking terrifying in VR.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Might try the gear VR mod at some point, definitely seeing some god rays and stuff, but not sure if the prescription lenses I have will work on top of that too.

Also discovered that my buddy who sold it to me sent me a 1.0 and a 2.0 base station which are not compatible together. And the 2.0 base station doesn't seem to work, red blinky light. Contacted valve to see if they have any ideas. I wonder if they'll fix it for cheaper if it's out of warranty? Otherwise I might just ebay a 1.0 I guess?

Vive Pro definitely noticeably clearer than the original was so that's nice!

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    How different is it from the previous VR mod?

Edit: ah ok this one is about motion controls.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    So the Steam Hardware survey is fascinating. Here are the June results. Most relevant to this thread are the VR Headset usage percentages, with almost half (42%) using the Oculus Quest 2. The Valve Index is the next most popular, with less than half of the Quest 2's (18%) reporting percentage. I guess that makes sense, considering the Index is like 4x the cost of the Quest 2.

(I'm still not buying hardware from Facebook)

• Options
    Getting the VR wants again, missing the old movin' my body to the beat/awkward ways in the privacy of my own home but yeah still don't want to support Meta if I can but would like the wireless. Conundrum!

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Getting the VR wants again, missing the old movin' my body to the beat/awkward ways in the privacy of my own home but yeah still don't want to support Meta if I can but would like the wireless. Conundrum!

After months upon months of delays, Lynx is finally shipping the R-1. At this point, the specs on paper are actually a little behind, but they're basically trying to be the open equivalent of a Quest. https://www.lynx-r.com/blogs/news/manufacturing-kickoff-milestone-achieved

When mine shows up, I'll let you know if it's worth it

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    yeeee....I'll be grabbing that Quest 3. If Valve releases theirs ill swap to that, I imagine the specs on it will be quite high.

God knows If and When that is coming though.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I am gushing about it elsewhere, but I am loving my PSVR2. except ... My headset keeps falling off if I jerk my head around too fast. It was really bad with the pulse 3d wireless, so much that I returned them. But now that I have an arctis nelova 7p set... It is better, but still annoying. Like having to adjust my glasses when I am wearing them.

Any tips? Someone mentioned that the clamping force might be too light. I am wondering if I am missing some sweet spot on where to put my headset.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    You're tightening up the strap with the dial on the back, yeah?

(I'm sure you are, but have to ask)

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Got a complete, relatively unused Valve Index Set (Headset, Controllers, 2x Base Stations) for ca. 550 Euro. I will check it thoroughly ofc. Are there any special parts / things I should be aware of?

I want to use it especially for Skyrim VR - I am way behind the modding scene, could somebody point me to a good / up-to-date resource for mods etc.?

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Athenor wrote: »
    I am gushing about it elsewhere, but I am loving my PSVR2. except ... My headset keeps falling off if I jerk my head around too fast. It was really bad with the pulse 3d wireless, so much that I returned them. But now that I have an arctis nelova 7p set... It is better, but still annoying. Like having to adjust my glasses when I am wearing them.

Any tips? Someone mentioned that the clamping force might be too light. I am wondering if I am missing some sweet spot on where to put my headset.

Its been a while since I used mine, but if I remeber correctly you should position the strap as low as possible on backside of your head, so it carries the weight of the headset and in turn reduces the weight on your noseridge. It took me a while to find a comfortable position, especially because the headset has such a narrow sweet spot for the eyes.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    Got a complete, relatively unused Valve Index Set (Headset, Controllers, 2x Base Stations) for ca. 550 Euro. I will check it thoroughly ofc. Are there any special parts / things I should be aware of?

I want to use it especially for Skyrim VR - I am way behind the modding scene, could somebody point me to a good / up-to-date resource for mods etc.?

Habie147 on YouTube has done a bunch of videos showing off various mods. VRIK is the bare minimum, I think; this is the video I used to set things up last time: https://youtube.com/watch?v=TvtEiV3V_gM

But there's a whole world of VR mods out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z9Fkxfao00

templewulf on
  • Options

If you want a quick and easy solution to start with, check out Wabbajack. It's a tool that lets you install curated modpacks all at once that are pre-configured and ready to go. I went with one of the bigger ones, but there are some that are more light weight and designed for VR QoL stuff. It can save a ton of time, and particularly in VR when tweaking a mod setting means having to take off the headset a lot of the time. You can still customize fairly well too and add your own onto their base or remove stuff you're not as into.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    You're tightening up the strap with the dial on the back, yeah?

(I'm sure you are, but have to ask)
    Its been a while since I used mine, but if I remeber correctly you should position the strap as low as possible on backside of your head, so it carries the weight of the headset and in turn reduces the weight on your noseridge. It took me a while to find a comfortable position, especially because the headset has such a narrow sweet spot for the eyes.

Dang, I wasn't clear enough. I meant my headphones, not my headset. I think I've got the headset dialed in pretty well (using the dial and so on) because I am ending sessions with only a bit of red marks from the light sheild around my eyes, like goggles.

With the headphones, I think I've got them... better. I have to move the headset as far forward as possible, where I hear it kind of click into place or otherwise need to bump into the headset in order to fall backwards. This has at least made it where I just need to reach up and adjust my headphones to get it to stay, instead of flinging them off.

I assume most games won't have me looking straight up as much as this one does.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    So, my used Index arrived. Setup went much better than I anticipated. Condition was nearly pristine - some scraches on the front of base station and headset because the inner box opended during transport which lead to some of the items shuffling around.

I have a PSVR2 as well, here are my impressions / comparisons:

Onboarding:
    The most basic setup steps are detailed in the included pamphlet. Everything else you have to find out on your own. This also includes stuff like camera passthrough, software setup, changing volume, steam menu, switching on controllers, running games in theater mode, showing desktop. IMO The PSVR did a better job to teach the basic functionality of the headset - but its running on a more integrated system / its own eco-system.

Setup:
    Setup was plug & play. Base station were detected automatically. Within minutes I was up and running. Although the instruction detailed the optimal setup and placement of the base stations, it worked well with my temporary, haphazard placement. (One base station inside the cupboard behind me looking down, the other one is on the edge of my desk looking up). The The base stations have very long cables which is very handy.
    One wardrobe behind me is also mirrored, which I draped over with a blanket, but there is a small gap which couldn't be covered. Despite these cirumstances I was amazed how good it could calculate the position of the controllers / headset in VR space with one or two wobbles during my 3h session when I went out of reach.

Screen Quality:
    I noticed a bit of glare on bright spots, especially if the outer region of the screen / lense is hit. Blacks are brighter than the OLEDs of the PSVR2 but it doesn't feature a moire effect. I usually don't notice both issues much when I am playing. The image looks clearer to me than the PSVR2 - it might be because the games are running at a higher internal resolution. Very noticeable was the higher FOV compared to the PSVR2, the "wearing diving googles" effect was less pronounced.

Fit and form:
    The headset meshes incredible well with my skull. I could simply pull it on an it rests very comfortable on my head. I can also put it off and on very fast. The pressure of the front plate is more intense than the PS2VR, it feels a bit like wearing a motor cycle helmet, but not very restricting. It keeps the light out as well as the PSVR2. It gets a bit warmer though, because of the lack of active cooling.

On the PSVR2 I had the feeling that the lenses were never near enough. Putting the headset on and off results in me lowering and rising it on my head to find the sweet spot again. On the Index I don't have to worry about this at all. I can see everything cleary even if the headset is not 100% in the correct position.

Software:
    Steam has the SteamVR environment and a space / VR-room (didn't remeber the name) to explore. The first hour I spend was watching youtube on a cinema sized display and messing around on my desktop. Am I weird? - sure I am. The disadvantage of this environment is, that certain mouse and controller interactions are already bound to the Index Controllers, so you can't really play games on the desktop within this VR-environment. For this you have to switch to the theatre mode which disables all bindings except your head movement. (you can change settings by looking at the options below the virtual screen for a certain time). Some of the VR menus, especially game selection look outdated and seem to mimik the older big picture mode.

Comparatively, the PSVR2 is pretty barebones. Retail VR games and nothing else. You can play pancake games but the virtual environment for doing so feels a bit like a afterthought. Sony could have given us a "playroom" or something similar for messing around in VR space at least.

Conclusion:
    I can still recommend the Index in 2023, especially if you get it at a reduced price. Its pretty much plug & play. The need of base station is annoying but less troublesome than I initially thought.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    Thanks for the in depth review.

I kinda shy from the Index due to the price but it's good to know!

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Thats why I bought it used. In summer lots of people get rid of their gadgets because of holidays/travels or other interests.

Yeah, the asking price of 1000+ Euro for a 4 year old headset is pretty tough. I dunno why Valve can give special discounts for the Steamdeck, but the Index remains steadily at the same price level. - my therory is because Valve uses third party services to store and deliver the products in each country there are storage costs associated whith each product. In Europe (Steamdeck) it is Ingram, one of the bigger electronic (mostly b2b) supplier. Index is more niche than the Steamdeck and they might not move enough units, so the storage costs and thus product price is higher.

I am currently discovering more features and software. I found out that I can put the base stations and headset into standby when not in use (which isn't the default) and I also bought a cheap boom mic holder to elevate my second base station. Now my setup is rock solid and doesn't take much space. The second base station sits on the top shelf of my wardrobe and I simply close the door when not in use.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    templewulf wrote: »

Habie147 on YouTube has done a bunch of videos showing off various mods. VRIK is the bare minimum, I think; this is the video I used to set things up last time: https://youtube.com/watch?v=TvtEiV3V_gM

But there's a whole world of VR mods out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z9Fkxfao00

Thanks for providing the link - otherwise I would have been really lost. The FUS Modpack is right up my ally and fixes most issues with Skyrim VR and enhances the game a lot. It saves a a lot of time, because you don't have to source the mods and make sure it all works together. That is already taken care of.

But you still have to configure lots of options ingame. Its far of a "one-click-solution". Thankfully you can do it right ingame through the alternate start and without going through the intro multiple times.

And man, is it immersive. Having a own body, people brushing beside you make the controller rumble, you can grab and drag NPCs, you can push, pull, place and throw items and watch the characters react accordingly. I had so much fun dicking around in Whiterun alone.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    It's interesting..I always thought my og rift was defective as it seemed very tilted to the left to me. I bought a psvr2 and same thing, although my wife doesn't see it so now I figure it has to be my eyes. I am near sighted in one and far sighted in the other so maybe my glasses don't correct them completely equally and that causes it...anyway annoying as hell and I wish headsets has an option to rotate your view by a few degrees

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Hrm, 30% discount on the Walkabout Mini Golf "Whole in One" pack on the PS store in the current sale - tempting to pick that up, even though I've still got a pile of shame.

• Options
    Finished Red Matter 2 on the weekend (which I also picked up on sale) and yep, that's the best looking VR game I've seen so far. Gameplay not bad either being a scifi puzzler, didn't overstay it's welcome at 4-5 hours.

I need to jump back in and see how easy it is to chapter select, because some of the vistas would be great to show VR newcomers who can't handle full movement.

• Options
    Temperatures here are becoming more bearable, so I'm slowly starting to do VR again. Yesterday I briefly tried out Half-Life 2 VR, and it's great how well this works. I also very much enjoy revisiting virtual places I know well translated into immersive VR... though I do think I'll wait for the better textures that they talked about after the mod came out, because when you're up close and personal it all does look very low-res. Mind you, it may well be a long time before the official improved textures come out, but I've got more than enough other things to play in the meantime.

What surprised me: I didn't want to spend too much time setting things up, so when I fired up Virtual Desktop I didn't connect my PC (in the bedroom) to the router (in the living room) with an Ethernet cable but just stuck with the double-wifi setup... and it all felt utterly smooth when looking and moving around. Last time I used Virtual Desktop, things didn't feel nearly as smooth. I wonder whether it's mostly that VD lowered the image quality to keep things running smoothly and I simply didn't notice much because of the low-res textures and relatively low-poly models.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    the HL2 mod controls drove me bonkers, but I definitely agree that it was awesome to see well-trod locations in a new way.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    The Steam VR home rooms are really good for that too, despite lack of gameplay. Seeing FFX, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, etc *from the inside* was a surreal experience

Edit: My default Steam home was the bridge of the TNG Enterprise, and I loved it

templewulf on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Vrchat has many as well.

• Options
    Qanamil wrote: »
    the HL2 mod controls drove me bonkers, but I definitely agree that it was awesome to see well-trod locations in a new way.
    What about them drove you mad?

On a different topic: I hear good things about the kind of pancake lenses they'll be using for the Quest 3, and some say that they make for a significant bump in image quality and are likely to make up the almost identical resolution from Q2 to Q3 . Does anyone here have experience with the Quest Pro and can say something about the pancake lenses compare to the fresnel lenses of the Quest 2 or of earlier headsets?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »
    What about them drove you mad?

On a different topic: I hear good things about the kind of pancake lenses they'll be using for the Quest 3, and some say that they make for a significant bump in image quality and are likely to make up the almost identical resolution from Q2 to Q3 . Does anyone here have experience with the Quest Pro and can say something about the pancake lenses compare to the fresnel lenses of the Quest 2 or of earlier headsets?

Pro is a huge visual upgrade with the new lenses. All you future Q3 owners are going to be in heaven.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    I needs reviews for more headsets so I can be jelly.

Course just looking to upgrade my GPU this season and gotta budget so it'll be awhile before I jump back to VR but still.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Got Skyrim VR modded up and definitely gonna have to tinker with those controls for a bit.

Also I wish there was an upgrade for the vive controllers that wasn't the index controllers. Those look great but they are both expensive and never in stock. I want thumbsticks damnit

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Got Skyrim VR modded up and definitely gonna have to tinker with those controls for a bit.

Also I wish there was an upgrade for the vive controllers that wasn't the index controllers. Those look great but they are both expensive and never in stock. I want thumbsticks damnit

I upgraded to the knuckles, and it was so, so worth it. But you gotta *really* want to play a lot of VR for an investment of that size

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    It's interesting..I always thought my og rift was defective as it seemed very tilted to the left to me. I bought a psvr2 and same thing, although my wife doesn't see it so now I figure it has to be my eyes. I am near sighted in one and far sighted in the other so maybe my glasses don't correct them completely equally and that causes it...anyway annoying as hell and I wish headsets has an option to rotate your view by a few degrees

I had this! I think it ended up being the fit. My head must be slightly...not level? I dunno! Either I've adjusted to it now after years of VR or maybe I hold my head differently? So I can't help, but it's actually reassuring to know someone else has the same problem!

My VR usage has totally dropped over the warm summer months, looking forward to the return of the cold weather!

Been debating a Quest 3 but one of the main things that bugs me about my Q2, to the extent it actually stops me using it, is the raised black levels. I find it really distracting in a VR headset and early reports are the screens are going to be similar. I hope they're wrong!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am going to have to dig out my Occulus Rift S and play around with it.

I assume the software still supports it. It would suck if it did not.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Has anyone here tried out the newish Subnautica mod, SubmersedVR? It looks like a major improvement on the game's previous VR support, including e.g. motion controls.

They're not yet extending all of this to Below Zero, but I'm very much hoping that they will eventually. Subnautica, for all its jank, has been one of my favourite VR experiences, and I'd love to play Below Zero with better VR support.

Subnautica terrifies me in pancake mode, I think seeing a Reaper Leviathan coming at me in VR would make me shit myself inside-out. Although honestly it was always the warpers that terrified me more...

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Subnautica terrifies me in pancake mode, I think seeing a Reaper Leviathan coming at me in VR would make me shit myself inside-out. Although honestly it was always the warpers that terrified me more...

So this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nK4VnBjD24

But with a lot more shit and screaming, and a lot less dancing?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Yesterday I tried to hook up the Quest 2 to my PC via Oculus Link for the first time in about a year - and where it worked perfectly before, yesterday it pretty much didn't at all. I can connect, but when I do I get visual glitches and distortions, abysmal frame rates (we're talking single digit), I can't even properly use the controllers. The Oculus software on my PC thinks that the headset doesn't have any audio and that my USB3.0 cable isn't USB3.0 (okay, the software recognising what cable and port I'm using has always been patchy). I tried repairing my Oculus installation, but that didn't work either.

It's not a biggie or very urgent, since Virtual Desktop works really well, but for stationary play (e.g. driving, flying) I would still tend to prefer using a cable. Has anyone here had this problem? If so, were you able to solve it somehow?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg