Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    The Portal 2 VR mod is out - and looks pretty nice!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kdG6zQeMO8

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I saw a few clips of that, it does look sweet.

I might wait a few patches as I heard there were a few things that still needed work.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Thirith wrote: »
    Yesterday I tried to hook up the Quest 2 to my PC via Oculus Link for the first time in about a year - and where it worked perfectly before, yesterday it pretty much didn't at all. I can connect, but when I do I get visual glitches and distortions, abysmal frame rates (we're talking single digit), I can't even properly use the controllers. The Oculus software on my PC thinks that the headset doesn't have any audio and that my USB3.0 cable isn't USB3.0 (okay, the software recognising what cable and port I'm using has always been patchy). I tried repairing my Oculus installation, but that didn't work either.

It's not a biggie or very urgent, since Virtual Desktop works really well, but for stationary play (e.g. driving, flying) I would still tend to prefer using a cable. Has anyone here had this problem? If so, were you able to solve it somehow?

I had a similar but different problem which might be related; also started using my Quest 2 again after not having used for about 6 months and was getting input and visual lag spikes, but I was getting them even with Virtual Desktop which is pretty much how I play everything. The issue turned out to be that the headset was downloading an update in the background, which presumably was why it couldn't handle streaming high-def video at the same time. After a couple of restarts and letting it install some updates, it started behaving again. So maybe just check for updates and then leave it on and plugged in for a while to let it do its thing.

I picked up I Expect You To Die 1 and 2 on sale, and just finished the first one last night. Excellent game I must say, its like an escape room but with more lasers and scorpions! I also notice that I Expect You To Die 3 is coming out next week, which is presumably why the first two were on sale. Well played developers, well played...

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    more like I expect you to Buy

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just started playing I Expect You to Die 2, and these are wonderfully delicious takes on the escape room template that work so well in VR. Definitely looking forward to the third part.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I need to get back to I Expect You to Die 1, I enjoyed it but fell off for some reason.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    First impressions of the Quest 3 seem to be very good, though I think I'll wait until the actual reviews. I'm also curious to hear how well the Quest 3 will play with Virtual Desktop.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah all the hands-on seem very positive.

I'll probably pick one up, as the Quest 2 gets decent usage. We'll see if Valve gives out any news.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Humble Bundle has a really good VR bundle right now. For 24 bucks you get Demeo, I expect you to die 2, and several other things.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Huh, maybe I'm ignorant of them but seeing a rhythm game based on just a webcam is great.

Starri for us folks lacking VR but desire the movement. Haven't tried it yet, won't have the play space for another week but it's on my radar.

Karoz on
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I just got an email from Humble Bundle that Project: Wingman is releasing on the PSVR2 / PS5.

I never played the PC release of that.. but.. I always wanted to? This may be a trip.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Well put my Quest 3 order in, excited to see how much better the experience is.

I'm 99% a PCVR player, the only games I play directly from the headset are DrBeef creations.

Dixon on
  • Options

Oh and anybody that's interested in Asgard's Wrath 2 I'll put a referral code on the referral doc as soon as my Quest 3 comes in.

• Options
    The first bunch of Quest 3 reviews are out, and by and large they're sounding pretty good. One surprising thing is that after all the attention Mixed Reality got in the previews, people are rather lukewarm on it.
    IGN
    PC Gamer
    The Verge
    Wired

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah the reviews are much more positive than expected, even from smaller outlets that focus on VR.

It sounds like the horizontal FoV upgrade is more than what people expected as well. Coupled with the big clarity increase it sounds like a nifty device.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    So long as I can keep using the virtual desktop app and just treating it like any other headset plugged directly into my PC, only wireless, that's a must-buy for me.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    My Quest 3 pre-order hadn't even shipped by 2 in the afternoon today on launch day. So, I just drove to the closest Best Buy and bought one, canceling my pre-order while I was in the check-out line.
    If anyone wants to get a Quest 3 you can use my referral code: https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/Span_Wolf/
    Feel free to use other PAer's referral codes in here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ui-RMuLTjiqdZeDRutjl3JeneH1jXTk02V0sSHQmi8I/edit#gid=0
    The second tab has gobs of software referrals to get 25% off of any Quest games you want.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    Hopefully getting back into the VR space with a purchase from @Stabbity Style so what did I miss in the meantime?

Also looking to get weekly VR back together if there are those that are interested.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Hopefully getting back into the VR space with a purchase from @Stabbity Style so what did I miss in the meantime?

Also looking to get weekly VR back together if there are those that are interested.

I'm very interested, but I still don't have a new headset 😭

Lemme know when you get yours. I may break down and buy something else instead of waiting for fulfillment on mine

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    If anyone has a Quest 3 yet and maybe knows, I tried the First Encounters MR demo that comes with the headset it keeps telling me to rescan my space every time I finish scanning. I'm just stuck in a loop scanning over and over again after I finish my scan and confirm my play space because it keeps telling me I need to rescan. I've tried two different rooms in case my play space was the issue, but it just won't work for me. Anybody know what might be causing it?

• Options
    My q3 delivered today but I’m on a work trip until Friday…I’m pretty sure my wife is going to unpack it and use it.

Excited to get back and try it though.

• Options
    Woo got my Steam Index from Stabbity and got it working!

Unfortunately Steam VR was set to Oculus so refused to launch games and didn't default to Index, the silly billy.

Also I need to get prescription lenses cause lordy playing with glasses still sucks!

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Had to try out the headset before passing out.

My god the PCVR with AV1 over virtual desktop is insane, both image quality and smoothness are incredible.

This feels like a generational leap on that side of it.

Controllers feel very tight on tracking and I was shocked how well hand tracking worked. Individual finger tracking seemed very accurate.

The pass through itself is still quite grainy, it’s useable for sure but it’s not great by any means. I haven’t tried anything off the headset itself but already this is a massive improvement for PCVR.

I hopped into HL Alex, Pavlov, Blade & Sorcery and SW squadrons.

The only real downside is due to it being so clear you could really tell when textures/models/meshes were low quality.

Dixon on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    As noted, reviews seem to confirm Virtual Desktop and Link are both supported in the Quest 3; in the case of Air Link/Link it's OS update that supports higher resolutions (I never ended up using Virtual Desktop with my Quest 2, but they're prompt with the updates it seems).

Once BOBOVR's halo strap is released, and I get a better appraisal of support for corrective lens inserts (I know I won't be able to reuse mine, but it would be a tacked-on expense regardless), I may pick one up and give my Quest 2 to my father. It's not as though it isn't usable right now (the Meta Quest being extremely pick-up-and-play as far as VR goes was a selling point for me), but I'm in a more restrained mood, after paying annual property taxes and buying a Playstation 5 on sale which...I haven't actually used for more than 40 minutes after setting it up. :/ The continuity with Quest 2's libraries and functionality is welcomed (PSVR2 could certainly use that legacy support, but what's done is done), and a great endorsement of it, but I'm firmly in the "break out the VR headset once every couple of weeks" crowd.

• Options
    It's probably more the fast paced games I am playing and not quite use to the Index headset but it makes a very compelling argument for prescription lenses where I was mostly able to muddle through with the Rift and Rift S

• Options
    Yeah it worked great with VD, immediately picked up the headset.

Just changed to AV1 on the desktop client. I did use the 10-bit option, but I wasn't sure the headset can even display that.

The Quest 3 is also wayyyyy more comfortable, even with the base strap. It feels lighter, even though I know it's not.

I had a Kiwi strap so I will still pick one up when it releases but very pleased.

The light coming from headset panels doesn't feel as harsh, or possibly just due to how clear it is, the eye strain itself feels so minimal. I was relaxed wearing the headset.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »

Just changed to AV1 on the desktop client. I did use the 10-bit option, but I wasn't sure the headset can even display that.

The Quest 3 is also wayyyyy more comfortable, even with the base strap. It feels lighter, even though I know it's not.

I had a Kiwi strap so I will still pick one up when it releases but very pleased.

The light coming from headset panels doesn't feel as harsh, or possibly just due to how clear it is, the eye strain itself feels so minimal. I was relaxed wearing the headset.

I've heard people hate the new headstrap! I wonder how much depends on the size/shape of your head vs just individual units and/or preview units for Influencers™

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    templewulf wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »

I've heard people hate the new headstrap! I wonder how much depends on the size/shape of your head vs just individual units and/or preview units for Influencers™

Head shape probably matters more than anything, followed by familiarity. The Quest 2's included strap was almost the textbook definition of cheap, but frankly, I personally hate any solution where one of the two points of contact is your face, and security depends on bracing against your face. Even without my glasses, that's unpleasant. But I'm pretty sure most people playing VR (especially since the Quest 2 swiftly ousted the original PSVR, and might have more headset sold than all the others combined) are used to strap design, and it's probably the audience and industry norm, people just need better straps (or at least less terrible ones). People are basically just treating it as "big goggles", which I guess is a solution.

By contrast, a halo strap far and away my preferred mounting mechanism, because I'd rather have weight resting like a helmet (in other words, a crown or hat), instead of against my face. The original PSVR's halo "strap" is probably the best thing I associate with that headset, and it was a good fit for the Samsung Odyssey. Even with lens inserts, I prefer the halo strap configuration (ideally, I'd like a headset I can easily flip up and down, but that matters less with pass-through cameras). I didn't mind the Quest 2 cheaping out on the strap, because I replaced it almost immediately, and the thing was absurdly subsidized by Meta/Facebook/whomever (a third the price of a Vive Index, with better resolution displays, wireless antennas, stand alone processing, etc.). I'd say we're lucky that, even with VR being...still decidedly quite niche...a lot of companies have been offering various strap options.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    yeah the Quest 2 used to crushed my nose and cheekbones, the weight feels more evenly distributed.

The back horizontal strap actually goes around my heads and cups it slightly, I felt it always slip with the Quest 2.

• Options
    Well since I've mostly confirmed that I have VR again, I deffo want to get multiplayer going again when available.

Saturday/Sunday is probably the best schedule wise and of course all having the same game so F2P is ideal but can see if any decent deals and what not.

I know templewulf is eager to rejoin but currently VR-less.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Just got my hands on a Rift S again since last selling mine some years ago due to financial stress.

My girlfriend really enjoys light shows and music (Think MUTEK festival). Does anyone have some good recommendations on what to get that would be similar?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Tetris effect?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Tetris effect?

I had forgotten it had a non-playing mode right? Where you just experience the music + effects.

• Options
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Pistol Whip keeps adding more free stuff faster than I can play it.

(Not a complaint at all)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Tetris effect?

I had forgotten it had a non-playing mode right? Where you just experience the music + effects.

WHAT?!?!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills