Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    For some reason, 7th Guest VR does not transfer your saves to the cloud.

Kinda shitty.

• Options
    I do start to sweat when I am in VR. The view needs to be wider.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    You can't really play the 7th Guest sitting down.
    It requires you to really reach for stuff.
    The first puzzle is impossible to do sitting down.

Someone in a wheelchair would have a hell of a time playing it.

They need a zoom option on the puzzles. Kind of like the original game.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Well, I tried the VR mod for DMC5. Don't use the nightly build. It runs slow. They broke the build. Use the latest release.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Pistol Whip has a free weekend on steam

In case you want to check out what we are raving about before putting down monies for the $18 price

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Pistol Whip is a good game made by good people. I was satisfied by the content of my original purchase, but they've since added more and more content to the game through free updates and then offered a free upgrade for PSVR2 while other games have paid upgrades or no upgrade option at all. I hope they put out more stuff on PSVR2.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I had a very enjoyable 1 1/2 hour session of Walkabout Mini Golf with two friends yesterday. It's a great example of how well simple, clear game design works in VR. It's immediately clear what this is and how it works to anyone playing it, and it implements this really well. The course design is great, deriving a surprising amount of variation from the simple concept. Also, I was really happy with how easy it is to meet up in-game and play with others, including voice chat that just works. All in all, it's a great way of hanging out in VR while doing some chill activity.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Ooo that does look good

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I had a very enjoyable 1 1/2 hour session of Walkabout Mini Golf with two friends yesterday. It's a great example of how well simple, clear game design works in VR. It's immediately clear what this is and how it works to anyone playing it, and it implements this really well. The course design is great, deriving a surprising amount of variation from the simple concept. Also, I was really happy with how easy it is to meet up in-game and play with others, including voice chat that just works. All in all, it's a great way of hanging out in VR while doing some chill activity.

It feels like if Disney went all in on building a mini golf course. a lot of the courses are fantastical, but just this side into the realm of believability.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Whew, first time playing with prescription lenses and what a difference, don't have to worry about making space or crunching them into my face or fogging up or getting sweat on them--the glasses not the lenses. But they help bigly.

Also nice that Beat Saber has added in some Synth Rider beats so they can have more options than just "break your wrists" hard mode. Admittedly took me by surprise but it makes sense why some songs have two versions now.

• Options
    It really surprised me how far you have to reach in the 7th Guest.

• Options
    I ordered a WiFi 6e-capable extender for my router, which should help with the Quest 3 once it's here. Since I live in a house with eight different flats, we've got about that many WiFi networks in a relatively small space, and being able to use 6GHz for the Quest should help. (Fingers crossed...)

One thing I was wondering: for the rare longer gaming session, would it work to hook a Powerbank up to the Quest, at least to extend how long I can play if not to outright charge the headset while I'm playing? I'd assume that the Elite headstrap with battery is a bit like having a built-in Powerbank, but I don't know if there are any factors at play that I'm not aware of.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I can't remember if I have asked this before... has anyone got any recommendations for a carrying case for the PSVR2? I want something that protects it, keeps everything together, and doesn't look like it was made by a single company and then resold on Amazon. I don't expect to be traveling with it much, though who knows with my current life situation. I am sure there is something generic I can get, but.. I dunno. It's not exactly a place where there are a ton of reviews.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    One thing I was wondering: for the rare longer gaming session, would it work to hook a Powerbank up to the Quest, at least to extend how long I can play if not to outright charge the headset while I'm playing? I'd assume that the Elite headstrap with battery is a bit like having a built-in Powerbank, but I don't know if there are any factors at play that I'm not aware of.

From what I've heard, a lot of powerbanks won't charge the Quest 3 as fast as the battery will drain if it's working hard, but should work fine to extend play time - you may just get to a point where the powerbank still has charge but the headset has gone flat. If you're using it mostly for PCVR where your PC is doing most of the work it's probably not going to be an issue.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Thanks for that reply. That was roughly what I was expecting, but it's good to have it confirmed.

Has anyone here played I Expect You To Die 3? I just finished the second game and enjoyed it a fair bit, but it also felt like more of the same, with only a few standout ideas. How does the third game compare to the previous two, and would people consider it as good as the best of the first and second game?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Really, I kind of think it is better to just have a cord on the headset.

I will probably just use my Rift S for a good long while. I have not really had a really good reason to upgrade.

• Options
    They have been updating The 7th Guest VR a bunch. I will have to pop in and look around.

• Options
    I know it can't just be an Index thing, but it went from looking dead on to my monitor when using the Rift S to 90 degrees away and suddenly most of my problems with a wired headset are gone

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Thanks for that reply. That was roughly what I was expecting, but it's good to have it confirmed.

Has anyone here played I Expect You To Die 3? I just finished the second game and enjoyed it a fair bit, but it also felt like more of the same, with only a few standout ideas. How does the third game compare to the previous two, and would people consider it as good as the best of the first and second game?

It's definitely more of the same, I thought it was good but wouldn't feel any urgency to jump into it if you just finished one.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    I know it can't just be an Index thing, but it went from looking dead on to my monitor when using the Rift S to 90 degrees away and suddenly most of my problems with a wired headset are gone

Aside from the obvious upgrades from PSVR1 to PSVR2, the fact it has inside-out tracking rather than a camera plugged into the PlayStation means I can now happily stand facing directly away from the console and TV, so the cord runs straight down behind me and is never in the way. Bonus, my wife can watch what she wants on TV.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

I sat down for the final puzzle and it was fine. The rest were short enough I did them standing. I only ever really had trouble with the piano puzzle, I couldn't figure out what was going on there. I wish when you spent the third coin to solve the puzzle (I only did it the once) it would explain the solution to you. Overall I loved the game, the 3D FMV was really cool.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Suds wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

I sat down for the final puzzle and it was fine. The rest were short enough I did them standing. I only ever really had trouble with the piano puzzle, I couldn't figure out what was going on there. I wish when you spent the third coin to solve the puzzle (I only did it the once) it would explain the solution to you. Overall I loved the game, the 3D FMV was really cool.

I wish they had the option to really zoom in on the puzzle or lock onto it.

• Options
    Well, my Quest 3 arrived a month earlier than originally announced. Not that I'll have much time to check it out today, but the set-up is much smoother than with previous headsets, which is already a plus.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Gotta say, my first impression of the Quest 3 is that it's a very nice upgrade compared to the Quest 2. I never found the Quest 2 comfortable, even with the Elite Strap, but the Quest 3's weight distribution is much more comfortable for me. The FOV isn't massively bigger, but together with the higher resolution I definitely feel that it's an improvement over the rather claustrophobic FOV of the second generation headset. Then there are factors that aren't necessarily connected to the new headset, at least not completely - but using Virtual Desktop with my PC physically connected (by a cable running through the entire flat, which isn't ideal) to the router while the headset is connected via WiFi 6e works tremendously well.

I tried playing Exodus Legion, but I'm afraid I'm too much of a fraidycat for it. Portal 2 in VR is fantastic, though, and so far I've had zero problems with nausea (though I'm not usually sensitive to this anyway). Definitely looking forward to playing some of the more demanding games via PCVR.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I will need to wait for a price drop on either the quest 3 or psvr2.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Well decided to buy a real cheap halo strap for the Q3 from ali.

I wanted the Kiwi but still nothing from them, and this strap was only $15 cdn.

It arrived assembled wrong, with the top strap installed so it was actually across the bottom. Thankfully an easy fix and overall it’s quite comfortable.

I’ll probably grab a kiwi when they release but this works for now.

Tonight I’ll finally give that Jedi Knight 2 conversion a go.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I will need to wait for a price drop on either the quest 3 or psvr2.

I'm watching IVRy's work on PSVR2 drivers very closely, because it seems like an actually good PC headset if they can get it working.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1021000/iVRy_Driver_for_SteamVR_PSVR2_Premium_Edition/

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Has anyone already posted the trailer for Sclerosis, the mod that basically converts Amnesia: The Dark Descent into VR (and apparently does a very good job at it)? If not, here goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Th8rmo2e4

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I played another two courses of Walkabout Mini Golf over the weekend, and I am really impressed with the design of these courses. We played one of the less outlandish ones - Arizona Modern, which in spite of lacking bells and whistles was quite cool because of its verticality and the view - followed by having a go at the Myst-inspired course. I love how the latter doesn't just take the Myst aesthetic but actually turns several of its holes into puzzles, though never becoming too outlandish or frustrating. All in all, in spite of the relatively simplistic graphics, this is an impressively assured, polished game, with little to none of the VR-typical jank.

Also, I am loving Portal 2 all over again playing it in VR. Valve's architecture works so well when you're immersed in it, and I'm surprised at how comfortably it plays. Quite honestly, this game feels better in VR than many a VR-exclusive game I've played since the original Oculus Rift came out.

P.S.: I forgot to mention: playing while the headset is connected to a power bank worked well, and most of the time I didn't even remember that I had that power bank in my back pocket. Frankly, the cables of the in-ear headphones I'm using with the Quest 3 were more distracting.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    There are a pile of games in the Quest store that are on sale 40% off for Black Friday as long as you use the coupon code:
    https://www.meta.com/blog/quest/black-friday-cyber-monday-sale-2023/
    The coupon code is reusable, and you can buy as many games as you want from the list at 40% off.

I bought a few and added them to the referral list for after the sale is over. If there are any games that you want, that aren't part of this sale this referral list us up to over 130 games at 25% off:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ui-RMuLTjiqdZeDRutjl3JeneH1jXTk02V0sSHQmi8I/edit#gid=1177749886
    As always, it's also in the OP for future reference.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

I bought it ages ago, but just haven't gotten around to playing it. I've always heard great things, especially with friends.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Hrmm friends

• Options
    For me, it's definitely great because mini golf is a fantastic way of hanging out with friends while doing something fun. I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy playing it on my own, but if you like mini golf, it's a very good translation of that into VR, with all the potential that you get from courses that aren't bound to our everyday reality.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

I bought it ages ago, but just haven't gotten around to playing it. I've always heard great things, especially with friends.

I have played it twice and the course design and implementation have been fantastic.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
      does anyone have any alternative recommendations to widmovr for index prescription lenses?

they have a BF deal going currently, but when I plugged in my partner's prescription it exceeds their standard range and the custom order inquiry form process that they have for higher prescriptions is down (presumably because of the sale. it mentions high volume influx and check back)

• Options
      templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
      does anyone have any alternative recommendations to widmovr for index prescription lenses?

they have a BF deal going currently, but when I plugged in my partner's prescription it exceeds their standard range and the custom order inquiry form process that they have for higher prescriptions is down (presumably because of the sale. it mentions high volume influx and check back)

VR optician is popular, and it looks like they go up pretty high https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/valve-index/

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    • Options
      webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

I have played it twice and the course design and implementation have been fantastic.

It's like if Disney made putt putt golf. The courses can be fantastical, but still believable.

Steam ID: Webguy20
      Origin ID: Discgolfer27
      Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    • Options
      initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
      templewulf wrote: »

VR optician is popular, and it looks like they go up pretty high https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/valve-index/

Thanks this definitely goes up high enough if needed. They have a small discount right now but it’s small enough that we talked it through to just buy them once they get checked out and an updated prescription early in the year

• Options
      lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
      VRChat is exceptionally weird, does anyone else have any hangout style apps they prefer? I haven't tried horizons, but it has quite a stench to it.

I would download a car.