As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »
    VRChat is exceptionally weird, does anyone else have any hangout style apps they prefer? I haven't tried horizons, but it has quite a stench to it.

VR chat is the best of them, but it varies wildly by world /social circle. It's off putting if you don't have a recurring friend group. You kinda have to do some digging

Rec Room is pretty good, but it skews much younger. I like the in-game building tools

I have never heard anyone say anything positive about Horizons

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Does VR Chat have the kind of activities that Rec Room provides? What I enjoyed about Rec Room (though I've not played it for a couple of years at this point) is that you can hang out while playing simple games, which is also what I like about games such as Walkabout Mini Golf. The Rec Room games aren't amazing, but they're solid and good fun.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    lazegamer wrote: »
    VRChat is exceptionally weird, does anyone else have any hangout style apps they prefer? I haven't tried horizons, but it has quite a stench to it.

VR chat is the best of them, but it varies wildly by world /social circle. It's off putting if you don't have a recurring friend group. You kinda have to do some digging

Rec Room is pretty good, but it skews much younger. I like the in-game building tools

I have never heard anyone say anything positive about Horizons

Horizon was fun to pop around in just to do some basic stuff like throw a boomerang and catch it, or chat with a meta staffer about the job while a kid ran up and screamed at us... But then you look at the price that was paid to make this thing and it breaks your brain. It is absolutely not worth 1% of what Zuck has pumped into it

Then I briefly tried the productivity stuff (On a quest 2 so I know it is somewhat hardware limited) and I had an immediate revulsion towards the whole concept. Maybe Apple can make it work with wildly more expensive and capable hardware, but even so I don't want to fake sit at a conference table. I think, if anything, the killer app for productivity will be screens anywhere, screens as big as you need. If I could fly coach in the future with a smaller headset, keyboard, and mouse, and have a massive high-resolution monitor for whatever work or play I wanted to do... and all I would need is the headset, or a small laptop? That seems awesome.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Has anyone here tried out EarthQuest, a Google Earth-alike on the Meta App Lab? If so, how does it compare to the official Google Earth VR (which sadly isn't available as a Quest standalone)?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Does VR Chat have the kind of activities that Rec Room provides? What I enjoyed about Rec Room (though I've not played it for a couple of years at this point) is that you can hang out while playing simple games, which is also what I like about games such as Walkabout Mini Golf. The Rec Room games aren't amazing, but they're solid and good fun.

IIRC there are some created rooms but I think they're individually joined instead of readily available from a lobby.

But I've never tried it so I don't know for sure.

• GSMGSM Registered User regular

Hi VR thread, it's been a while.

VRC isn't really a world with official activities provided by the developers. It's more like a VR version of itch.io, full to the brim with random Unity projects made by a weird mix of professional and hobbyist developers. There's low effort buggy junk made of stolen assets sitting right next to incredibly polished patreon-funded masterpieces built by experienced industry professionals in their spare time. It's the wildest west on the internet right now, and it's all about to fall apart because they just added an economy system like the ones in Second Life or Roblox. Definitely check it out before the entire thing collapses in on itself.

We'll get back there someday.
    Something about just going into VRchat stresses me the heck out.

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    does anyone have any alternative recommendations to widmovr for index prescription lenses?

they have a BF deal going currently, but when I plugged in my partner's prescription it exceeds their standard range and the custom order inquiry form process that they have for higher prescriptions is down (presumably because of the sale. it mentions high volume influx and check back)

VR optician is popular, and it looks like they go up pretty high https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/valve-index/

Thanks this definitely goes up high enough if needed. They have a small discount right now but it’s small enough that we talked it through to just buy them once they get checked out and an updated prescription early in the year

I got mine from Reloptix. Their pricing doesn't change with the prescription and they go to -12.00 for sphere.

I think they had some issues making mine (apparently they broke twice during finishing) but the price was exceptional. The end result is great for the price. I don't have anything to compare it to for VR lenses but they do work better than the awkwardness of wearing glasses in the headset.

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    GSM wrote: »

VRC isn't really a world with official activities provided by the developers. It's more like a VR version of itch.io, full to the brim with random Unity projects made by a weird mix of professional and hobbyist developers. There's low effort buggy junk made of stolen assets sitting right next to incredibly polished patreon-funded masterpieces built by experienced industry professionals in their spare time. It's the wildest west on the internet right now, and it's all about to fall apart because they just added an economy system like the ones in Second Life or Roblox. Definitely check it out before the entire thing collapses in on itself.

Any thoughts on Resonite (re: collapse of VRChat / other social VR games)? I saw it mentioned in passing when reading about the new economy elsewhere but haven't had a chance to look at it myself. The stream vod I watched made it look very early days (seems to be a spiritual fork of NeosVR?) but I did like that it seems like you could more seamlessly "alt-tab/multitask" between worlds and it might be easier to attach stuff to avatars?

76561197966849367.png
    edited November 2023
    Zetx wrote: »
    GSM wrote: »

Any thoughts on Resonite (re: collapse of VRChat / other social VR games)? I saw it mentioned in passing when reading about the new economy elsewhere but haven't had a chance to look at it myself. The stream vod I watched made it look very early days (seems to be a spiritual fork of NeosVR?) but I did like that it seems like you could more seamlessly "alt-tab/multitask" between worlds and it might be easier to attach stuff to avatars?

I had hoped Neos' existence (and all other competing Unity-powered would-be-metaverses) would at least put pressure on VRC to not do anything stupid, lest their users flee, but Neos has made enough missteps that it hasn't done that job. They got in bed with crypto, and Resonite is the least-stupid of that team trying to dig themselves out from under the mess that caused. Looks like they're funded via patreon at this point? I guess that's slightly more sustainable than venture capital, but not by much. VRC's more lax enforcement of copyright has made it the more desirable destination (allowing popular culture is more popular, who knew), and I'm guessing they're just hoping for a youtube-scale free pass someday. Resonite interests me less right now, because the primary way to develop VR content for Resonite is using their in-VR toolset, and I have no interest in visual scripting, even when I don't have to use my whole arm to connect nodes together. Gorilla arm is real. I feel like that's going to be a hard limit on how much gets made for Resonite, or at least until VR devices become more comfortable to use for long lengths of time (like the majority of a whole day).

VRC had been a kind of utopia, free from the chains of capitalism (because someone else was footing the bill for hosting and all the worlds were built by the surplus labor of VR enthusiasts), but this new focus on the economy system is going to upend the priorities of world builders, and I suspect there will eventually be a fee to have your content up there, at which point everyone will be forced to paywall or delete everything.

GSM on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Did After the Fall get more polished?

I had tried it out a couple times but gave up my VR set soon after and haven't really tried it since.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Did After the Fall get more polished?

I had tried it out a couple times but gave up my VR set soon after and haven't really tried it since.

Looks like the last patch was in Feb, people complain about it being abandoned, but the recent steam reviews are still Very Positive.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    I got started on the Quest version of The 7th Guest - only to find out that there is a PC VR version with better graphics (e.g. higher textures, shadows). Which is annoying, because I'd somehow come to believe that the game was a Quest exclusive, and the Quest version is fine, but especially the textures are pretty muddy. I'll see that I can get a refund and get the Steam version instead. Just in case anyone had made the same mistaken assumption.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU-CNhWM42s
    All of the information is in the trailer.

This may be what actually gets us to pick up a Quest 2.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Valve has released Steam Link on the Meta store, enables you to play Steam games on your headset without the need for Virtual Desktop or Air Link

https://www.uploadvr.com/valve-steam-link-quest-steamvr-streaming/

Curious to see how performance compares. Pretty hard to beat Virtual Desktop

Fleeb on
    I tried it out today, and it seems to perform pretty smoothly - but on my Quest 3 it wouldn't play sound. Instead, my PC played two rooms over all the sounds... I'm sure this will be fixed soon, and then I'm looking forward to giving this a proper test drive.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    VR Chat is kind of like going to the masquerade party. You have no idea who you are talking too.

I tried it out today, and it seems to perform pretty smoothly - but on my Quest 3 it wouldn't play sound. Instead, my PC played two rooms over all the sounds... I'm sure this will be fixed soon, and then I'm looking forward to giving this a proper test drive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/18852nj/psa_for_those_having_no_sound_issues_with_the_new/

I mean, you have more of an idea who you're talking to than text-based chat, since you can hear their voice (though that's less reliable with the power of AI these days).

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/18852nj/psa_for_those_having_no_sound_issues_with_the_new/
    Cheers. Sadly, none of the options work immediately, but I think I'll stick to Virtual Desktop for a while and then I'll retry Steam Link at a later stage, in the hope that the issue's been fixed on their side - and if not, I'll see whether by then there's more information at the link you sent me.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    (The Reddit solution didn't work; I don't seem to have Steam Streaming Speakers/Microphone installed, and the downloads I find for those drivers don't want to install on my PC. Guess I'm stuck with Virtual Desktop for now - which I can definitely live with!)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Mixed results in our Steamlink test. The wife's PC and headset connect just fine, works great!

Mine however, doesn't connect at all. No errors, I find the pc name in the box, hit "connect" and... nothing. Just back to my VR home. SteamVR is open and just sitting there waiting for a headset to connect. The only real difference between our PCs is I've used Virtual Desktop and she'd never connected a headset before. Virtual Desktop continues to work fine on mine.

Anyone else having issues with Steamlink and VD? Maybe the VD Streamer is conflicting somehow, even though it's not running?

Fleeb on
    Yeesh, PSVR2 is almost getting too many games this week. RE4 Remake VR mode, Arizona Sunshine 2, Arashi: Castles of Sin, Among Us VR, Five Nights at Freddy's, Vertigo 2 I believe later on this month - not enough hours in the day.

• hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I’m still amazed that Arashi: Castles of Sin got pulled forward from PSVR1. It was better than it had any right to be on that platform, I cannot wait to see how it plays now.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
    edited December 2023
    I heard really good things about it on PSVR1 so am keen to check the new version out, but with so much other stuff already to play I can probably wait for a sale.

Among Us and FNAF are not really my things, but a couple of bigger name titles dropping heading to Christmas can't hurt sales.

McFodder on
    Does anyone know what the current state of the Resident Evil PCVR mod is when it comes to RE4 Remake?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Valve has released Steam Link on the Meta store, enables you to play Steam games on your headset without the need for Virtual Desktop or Air Link

I haven't followed vr news since I bought my Htc vive. My take away from that was that VR for me is only viable without the umbilical cord or screendooreffect.

My son wanted to buy a meta 2 because its cheap and he wanted to play vr. And dad didn't want to move the pctower to the living room everytime the kids wanted to play vr.
    So we started to watch some YouTube on the current state of vr.

Now there is a headset that has apparently no screendooreffect and can stream pcvr.
    So I just bought a meta 3 for my birthday.

Hopefully it will live up to my expectations.

How bad is the meta walled garden and is there a way around it?

steam_sig.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I haven't followed vr news since I bought my Htc vive. My take away from that was that VR for me is only viable without the umbilical cord or screendooreffect.

My son wanted to buy a meta 2 because its cheap and he wanted to play vr. And dad didn't want to move the pctower to the living room everytime the kids wanted to play vr.

Now there is a headset that has apparently no screendooreffect and can stream pcvr.

So Valve has officially released SteamVR for the quest devices, as you can see from the link above... but years before that, Virtual Desktop made it easy. Still does.

So the one thing you need is an oculus/meta account in order to activate and use the hardware. Once that is done, all you will need that for ever again is if you want to buy games that are not reliant on the PC.

Note that this is more likely than you might think right now, because the hardware is surprisingly good and some experiences don't need all that muscle. Plus, being able to take the device with you places and demo properly stuff like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes or Superhot? Great.

Beyond that there is no wall around this garden. The apps you need to play stuff on your PC are available from meta's own store, no hackery needed.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Make sure to grab referral links from the op before setting up your account too. Or buying gemes

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

As noted, there isn't actually a "wall garden" in the sense that we usually think of it. There's a optional Meta store, in the same way the VR section of Steam's store or other distribution clients are optional (there are exclusives, that's how stores work, and you have to learn to live with that if you actually care about said exclusive).

I didn't actually buy any software for my Oculus Quest 2 until I decided to use the third-off coupon for Resident Evil 4 VR (the first-person adaption of that game that's been re-released a thousand times already). Until then, I was using it exclusively to play Windows PC VR games, over Rift (wired) and Air (wireless) link (Virtual Desktop was also an option, I just didn't want to buy the software and configure it when I had a working solution with generally better wireless fidelity). Some of those were Steam VR, some were not: buying IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles directly from 1C gets you the open-source VR framework version, rather than SteamVR, which for that game specifically has some advantages and disadvantages), and before I decided to buy the Xbox Play Anywhere version, Microsoft Flight Simulator on Game Pass uses its own internal VR wrapper. The majority of my games are through SteamVR (certainly not because that's generally the case with any game you happen to obtain through, let's say, "unorthodox" but free means).

The Quest 3 is built on the same standards (and really, that, combined with the better-than-Valve visual quality, built-in wireless support, and vastly undercutting price, are probably the reasons why the Quest 2 outsold all other company's VR options combined, as far as I know). It might be more helpful to think of it as a display and controller solution that happens to come with its own storefront, if you want to use it, as a standalone device. It's actually possible to "hack" Quest 2 headsets to load, let's say, "unorthodox" software directly onto it, bypassing the Oculus store, but I have very little experience with that.

I'm pretty sure you do need to set up an account for the initial setup (or jump through some rather elaborate hoops otherwise). I don't think that was changed, unfortunately (then again, I assume you need a Steam account to use any headset from Valve, so it's just normal practice except Meta is an even more disturbing company than Valve is). And you do need to install some software solution on the PC side if you want to use Air Link too.

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Good to hear that everyone has positive experiences with playing their pcvr library on the quest.

My hangups about a potential walled garden have been alleviated.
    It will be delivered coming monday.

I also picked up the vr humble bundle in preparation.

steam_sig.png
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    yeah, so easy to setup. I do recommend grabbing VD though.

99% of my vr gaming is through steamVR.

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    That sort of tempts me towards a Quest despite the distaste for Meta. But I also like the Index controllers and it sounds like mixing and matching is a bit tedious (or requires repeated calibration and third-party apps).

I haven't tried them myself, but I've not heard many very positive things about the Index controllers in practice. Most people like the idea, and it's a well-enough implemented idea - but the people I know who have an Index all say that when you're in VR they're actually not all that much more immersive than, say, the Touch controllers. This may mainly be a problem with the software and with devs not making much use of the Index controllers, but I think it's also that the Touch controllers have frequently been implemented very cleverly and their functionality is abstracted in ways that don't actually make all that much practical difference in most scenarios.

On a different topic: I briefly played House of the Dying Sun years ago, probably still on the Oculus Rift S, and somehow didn't get into it, or perhaps I was just distracted by a shiny new thing. I only now reinstalled it and played it for half an hour today, and it's a remarkably tasty (if lightweight) slice of space sim (well not much more sim than the original Wing Commander). It's no Star Wars Squadrons, but it's fun.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I haven't tried them myself, but I've not heard many very positive things about the Index controllers in practice. Most people like the idea, and it's a well-enough implemented idea - but the people I know who have an Index all say that when you're in VR they're actually not all that much more immersive than, say, the Touch controllers. This may mainly be a problem with the software and with devs not making much use of the Index controllers, but I think it's also that the Touch controllers have frequently been implemented very cleverly and their functionality is abstracted in ways that don't actually make all that much practical difference in most scenarios.

I strongly disagree, I vastly prefer the Index controllers, especially for games with a lot of grab/throw dynamics. You can still do those things with other controllers, but it's way more natural with Index.

The pressure sensing is kinda whatever, though. Most games only recognize grabbing / not grabbing, so their many degrees of sensitivity are mostly wasted.

That said, I don't recommend anyone get Index controllers unless they already have up lighthouses anyway. Positioning the lighthouses well is a bit of a pain, and even as a fan of the Index controllers, I wouldn't get into that whole ecosystem just for them.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I don't care for them myself, but that boils down to personal preference over any sort of technical issue. Considering how massively the Oculus Quest (and their general controller standard) outsold Valve's line (and the Index specifically), it's not surprising that developers are programming for the controllers the majority of people have.

My only complaint about the Quest 2's controllers are that I wish they had just a few additional face buttons (to bring them up to the earlier gamepad-inspired controllers we had under the WMR headsets, which are pretty close anyway), if not the Index's level of overkill. Some mechanically complex, older games like H3VR have to make certain concessions for the fewer face buttons, but that's going to be the norm going forward I expect.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I haven't used any of the other controllers extensively (or possibly at all I can't remember), but the open/close hand to pick stuff up on the Index controller is absurdly useful and a great way of adding immersion to games, and easy to explain to people. The more precise pressure and finger tracking stuff is used by a handful of games purely visually and entirely useless but I love the grab stuff.

Wait no, I've seen exactly one game try to use the finger tracking stuff for actual gameplay, and it did not work well at all. Was a neat idea for a guitar hero like though.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

As noted, there isn't actually a "wall garden" in the sense that we usually think of it. There's a optional Meta store, in the same way the VR section of Steam's store or other distribution clients are optional (there are exclusives, that's how stores work, and you have to learn to live with that if you actually care about said exclusive).

I didn't actually buy any software for my Oculus Quest 2 until I decided to use the third-off coupon for Resident Evil 4 VR (the first-person adaption of that game that's been re-released a thousand times already). Until then, I was using it exclusively to play Windows PC VR games, over Rift (wired) and Air (wireless) link (Virtual Desktop was also an option, I just didn't want to buy the software and configure it when I had a working solution with generally better wireless fidelity). Some of those were Steam VR, some were not: buying IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles directly from 1C gets you the open-source VR framework version, rather than SteamVR, which for that game specifically has some advantages and disadvantages), and before I decided to buy the Xbox Play Anywhere version, Microsoft Flight Simulator on Game Pass uses its own internal VR wrapper. The majority of my games are through SteamVR (certainly not because that's generally the case with any game you happen to obtain through, let's say, "unorthodox" but free means).

The Quest 3 is built on the same standards (and really, that, combined with the better-than-Valve visual quality, built-in wireless support, and vastly undercutting price, are probably the reasons why the Quest 2 outsold all other company's VR options combined, as far as I know). It might be more helpful to think of it as a display and controller solution that happens to come with its own storefront, if you want to use it, as a standalone device. It's actually possible to "hack" Quest 2 headsets to load, let's say, "unorthodox" software directly onto it, bypassing the Oculus store, but I have very little experience with that.

I'm pretty sure you do need to set up an account for the initial setup (or jump through some rather elaborate hoops otherwise). I don't think that was changed, unfortunately (then again, I assume you need a Steam account to use any headset from Valve, so it's just normal practice except Meta is an even more disturbing company than Valve is). And you do need to install some software solution on the PC side if you want to use Air Link too.

One store (steam) spends time and money to make itself available to other hardware, and one (oculus) ... doesn't. Good luck getting games that you own in the oculus store to work in the future if you buy other hardware. They aren't walled gardens, but I'm a lot more leery around buying software from the oculus store if I can get it anywhere else around a similar price.

I would download a car.
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2023

I strongly disagree, I vastly prefer the Index controllers, especially for games with a lot of grab/throw dynamics. You can still do those things with other controllers, but it's way more natural with Index.

The pressure sensing is kinda whatever, though. Most games only recognize grabbing / not grabbing, so their many degrees of sensitivity are mostly wasted.

That said, I don't recommend anyone get Index controllers unless they already have up lighthouses anyway. Positioning the lighthouses well is a bit of a pain, and even as a fan of the Index controllers, I wouldn't get into that whole ecosystem just for them.

Yeah this page of this thread is the first time I've heard people say they dislike the Index controllers. Pretty much the opposite experience for me and everyone I've had over that uses them -- they're pretty great. The reaction people have to just being able to use them "like a hand" is typically pretty great.

But no I wouldn't try to do some weird hybrid thing just to use them -- use them if you already have the tracking system for sure.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png