Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I haven't used anything else, but the Index was intuitive to me. And Alyx is by far the best in-game throwing and manipulation I have witnessed. Like... I can sidearm with my natural throwing motion and the trajectory is spot on. Or overhand. Or lob.

I cannot pinpoint a grenade in Into the Radius or H3VR like I can in Alyx. Heavily modded Skyrim is maybe close, other than occasionally terrible physics for some objects. And no real usefulness for throwing other than some unpredictable magic.

I haven't seen much actually make use of the finger tracking but it is neat when it works. I think full hand grab would be enough.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I don't think the index is worth the price as it stands.

You get pancake lenses, higher resolution and wireless play for half the price. The controllers are a step up from the Q2 and they were already good.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I haven't used anything else, but the Index was intuitive to me. And Alyx is by far the best in-game throwing and manipulation I have witnessed. Like... I can sidearm with my natural throwing motion and the trajectory is spot on. Or overhand. Or lob.

I cannot pinpoint a grenade in Into the Radius or H3VR like I can in Alyx. Heavily modded Skyrim is maybe close, other than occasionally terrible physics for some objects. And no real usefulness for throwing other than some unpredictable magic.

I haven't seen much actually make use of the finger tracking but it is neat when it works. I think full hand grab would be enough.

And Alyx plays perfectly fine on the quest 2 and 3 controllers. Including the grabbing, holstering, putting stuff in the backpack, etc. etc.

Valve did a real good job making sure the controls were intuitive enough.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying The 7th Guest VR a lot - the PCVR version, that is. The Quest version is very nicely done, but I'm finding the game considerably more atmospheric with the better graphics, higher resolution textures and dynamic shadows. It's still basically a collection of puzzles from a puzzle book, but it's all been revised to fit VR really well - and I love the cheesy haunted house and the creepy cheekiness of the pictures that change into more ominous versions when you shine your lantern at them. There's nothing revolutionary about this one, but it's a very neat use of VR in a cool, fun location, and the puzzles are largely in that sweet spot between frustrating and too easy (at least for me - I'm quite glad they're not too hard or too fiddly). The original game is one I never played (just like Myst and its follow-ups), even though I had already been playing computer games for 10+ years at the time, so it's quite nice to revisit a more player-friendly version of it in this format.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    UEVR Injector has released and I've been having a great time with it.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I loved The 11th Hour. One of the first PC games I got. I seem to recall getting that, Mortal Kombat 3, StoneKeep and Mechwarrior 2 around Christmas time. What a year!

I should DEFINITELY give the 7th Guest a go in VR. I've been holding off on playing VR games until I pick up a Quest 3, but that's unlikely to happen any time soon so I should just play on the 2.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I didn't get any new PSVR2 games over the holiday, but my wife did get me some prescription lens inserts. I don't wear contacts, and leaving a huge gap for my glasses while in VR was not ideal. Looking forward to getting back into it.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Anyone here try Budget Cuts 2?

• Options
    edited January 4
    Blah64 wrote: »
    UEVR Injector has released and I've been having a great time with it.

I think Robocop has been my favourite so far. It's crazy that it just magically supports motion aiming with the VR controllers.

I've been using that Rairai game catalogue tool to see which of my stuff is UE. It sounds like they will eventually work to having preconfigured profiles embedded into the tool.

Dixon on
  • Options
    I've been having a great time in 'The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition' & 'Six Days In Fallujah'

• Options
    edited January 5
    I heard Outer Worlds was really buggy, you got it running well? Did you use someone else's config or just was fine out of the box?

I never played much of it so wouldn't doing so in VR.

I tried RE8 but damn it was too scary in VR.

Dixon on
  • Options
    I used someone else's config. Just gotta use 'synced sequential' instead of 'native stereo', and realize that it is not full 6dof yet. Guns shoot at crosshair, not where guns actually point. Other than that, it's been running great for me.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    i got a meta 3 just in time for all the holiday sales to have ended. what, uh..what is your advice to do with this thing On A Budget. I'm not saying I need completely free, I can spend a little, but this is my first vr headset of any kind so I'm starting completely from zero and am both paralyzed by all the options in front of me and also completely unsure of what I can actually do with vr. my only lifetime experience with it is of the troopers variety, so. pretend you are speaking to a child, fresh and new

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    i got a meta 3 just in time for all the holiday sales to have ended. what, uh..what is your advice to do with this thing On A Budget. I'm not saying I need completely free, I can spend a little, but this is my first vr headset of any kind so I'm starting completely from zero and am both paralyzed by all the options in front of me and also completely unsure of what I can actually do with vr. my only lifetime experience with it is of the troopers variety, so. pretend you are speaking to a child, fresh and new

Beat Saber is the standard VR rhythm game.
    Pistol whip gives nice variety while moving the whole body.
    Arizona Sunshine is a nice fps zombie shooter.
    Moss is a nice platformer that is charming as all get out.
    I Expect You to Die nice escape room game.

Thats the starters I can think up away from my computer.

• Options
    edited January 6
    Quest Store has some free stuff to dip your toes in with.

VR Chat and Rec Room are pleasant social VR stuff.

I, personally, find the 'VR Experiences' in the quest store boring & would skip 'em.

Population: One is basically VR Fortnite. Not the best VR FPS imo, but it's free and fairly easy to understand.

Battle Talent seems to have a demo to experience melee combat shenanigans.

Blah64 on
  • Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    Also, check your existing Steam library for games that may have added VR. Like No Man's Sky or MS Flight Simulator

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Also, before you activate it, get a referral for some free credits to work with

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Picked up the DCS AH-64D Apache module, and it's pretty wild in VR. The helmet display monocle is only rendered in your right eye, and really drives home the sense of wearing an IHADSS helmet.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »

What games do you like outside of VR?

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I bought an irresponsible number of Quest games during the holiday season and have added referral links for all of them to the referral doc in the OP. So, if you want discounts on a lot of new releases at 25% off you can check it out here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ui-RMuLTjiqdZeDRutjl3JeneH1jXTk02V0sSHQmi8I/edit#gid=1177749886

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Got a Quest 3 arriving on Tuesday afternoon, coming from a now raggedy Rift S.

Been playing a lot of iRacing lately, so am super hype for higher res, refresh and fov.

Getting some home network upgrades too, so can hopefully get a good network connection and tether to the pc downstairs in the living room to show off to guests. I might even be able to persuade the Mrs to have a go!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »

Been playing a lot of iRacing lately, so am super hype for higher res, refresh and fov.

Getting some home network upgrades too, so can hopefully get a good network connection and tether to the pc downstairs in the living room to show off to guests. I might even be able to persuade the Mrs to have a go!

Make sure to get a referral before you set it up

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If you want to play some awesome conversions of older fps games like Doom, Jedi Knight and Half-Life, check out the Dr. Beef catalogue, little bit of setup required getting the other store on but nothing crazy. They are free if you own the game elsewhere (His installers need the OG gamefiles).

They are sooooo well done, and something like Doom is unlimited gameplay with the vast amount of WAD's out there.

If you have a gaming PC you can buy virtual desktop and play some Steam Stuff.

For Oculus apps I don't know too much, I did get into the Virtual Poker over the covid period. Was a great way to hang with others.

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »

Make sure to get a referral before you set it up

Yeah my bud had already sorted me with that. Really good referral deal!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Walkabout mini golf is fantastic. I also like the viking longboat drumming game.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I finished The 7th Guest yesterday, and while I enjoyed it a lot, the endgame is shit. 99% of the game is pretty conventional puzzles - of the kind you find in a puzzle book, not point and click puzzles - but for the final confrontation we get what is pretty a simplistic luck-based board game that takes 15-20 minutes, and whether you win or lose has nothing to do with your abilities. It also strips the game of everything that is enjoyable in VR, where the puzzles themselves were made to work well in VR. No idea who thought that this was a good idea; the only justification I can imagine is that they ran out of time and needed something they could implement relatively quickly and cheaply.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I finished The 7th Guest yesterday, and while I enjoyed it a lot, the endgame is shit. 99% of the game is pretty conventional puzzles - of the kind you find in a puzzle book, not point and click puzzles - but for the final confrontation we get what is pretty a simplistic luck-based board game that takes 15-20 minutes, and whether you win or lose has nothing to do with your abilities. It also strips the game of everything that is enjoyable in VR, where the puzzles themselves were made to work well in VR. No idea who thought that this was a good idea; the only justification I can imagine is that they ran out of time and needed something they could implement relatively quickly and cheaply.

I felt the same way. The game was excellent otherwise.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Hello VR thread!

I just got a Meta Quest 3. It came with a free download of Asgard's Wrath 2, which I have installed and played for about an hour. It's pretty good. And I like the movement in it for the most part. I like being able to just walk normally. I'm not super fond of the way the right thumb-stick works with the side to side look function. Why is walking forwards and back a smooth action, but looking left to right seems to be a jerky fixed-axis motion? Is there a setting to make the movement behave like any standard FPS game?

I also picked up Half-Life Alyx on Steam, and spent some time getting the Air Link + Steam VR gameroom working so that I could play Alyx on my Quest 3. Alyx seems like it's gonna be hella immersive, but I've got a couple annoyances with the movement in that game too. Walking forward seems to do this weird thing where it teleports me to where I place the feet icon. Is there a way to enable regular movement? And also, Alyx's left to right seems to be the same as Asgard's Wrath 2. It's very jerky stop motions that seem to be tied to a radial axis. I just want free range movement like in a regular video game.

One other thing I've noticed about Alyx... it seems to want the player to be standing up. Which I am not. I am sitting in my comfy chair. Because of this standing up requirement, it does weird things with my camera position, and very often it feels like my character is ducking or crouching and I am not "tall enough" to interact with things. Example being at the very start of the game, almost as soon as you get control of your character, you need to turn around and push a button to turn on a screen and talk to Eli Vance. The button was above my camera position and was extremely difficult to hit. Is there a way to tell the game I am sitting down and have it adjust the camera accordingly?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Movement is definitely an option you can change in Alyx, regular movement vs teleporting and smooth rotation vs jumping are usual accessibility options - helps prevent motion sickness for some folks. I believe default standing/sitting height should be too but I'm not certain.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Question to the VR players in general: do you prefer playing in VR while standing or sitting down (provided that the game works fully for both options)?

I'm asking because for me standing up and turning in VR by turning in real life is an essential part of immersion. Obviously that's not always easy or feasible, but I even preferred it back when I played PCVR with the headset connected by USB cable. Unless I'm in some kind of vehicle, I find turning by stick unimmersive and uncomfortable.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    I play standing up, except for vehicle games like 'VTOL VR'.
    Walking sitting down aggravates motion sickness for me.

• Options
    Standing most of the time. Some games are better seated. DiRT 2.0 obviously I play seated. Moss as well is better seated as its just more comfortable. I play Demeo seated as well.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 11
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Hello VR thread!

I just got a Meta Quest 3. It came with a free download of Asgard's Wrath 2, which I have installed and played for about an hour. It's pretty good. And I like the movement in it for the most part. I like being able to just walk normally. I'm not super fond of the way the right thumb-stick works with the side to side look function. Why is walking forwards and back a smooth action, but looking left to right seems to be a jerky fixed-axis motion? Is there a setting to make the movement behave like any standard FPS game?

I also picked up Half-Life Alyx on Steam, and spent some time getting the Air Link + Steam VR gameroom working so that I could play Alyx on my Quest 3. Alyx seems like it's gonna be hella immersive, but I've got a couple annoyances with the movement in that game too. Walking forward seems to do this weird thing where it teleports me to where I place the feet icon. Is there a way to enable regular movement? And also, Alyx's left to right seems to be the same as Asgard's Wrath 2. It's very jerky stop motions that seem to be tied to a radial axis. I just want free range movement like in a regular video game.

One other thing I've noticed about Alyx... it seems to want the player to be standing up. Which I am not. I am sitting in my comfy chair. Because of this standing up requirement, it does weird things with my camera position, and very often it feels like my character is ducking or crouching and I am not "tall enough" to interact with things. Example being at the very start of the game, almost as soon as you get control of your character, you need to turn around and push a button to turn on a screen and talk to Eli Vance. The button was above my camera position and was extremely difficult to hit. Is there a way to tell the game I am sitting down and have it adjust the camera accordingly?

Asgard's Wrath 2 likely has options for smooth turning. Also, you likely also got Asgard's Wrath 1 for free too. It's PCVR only on the Rift store.

For Alyx, it 100% has a seated mode. Check the options in game!

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Blah64 wrote: »
    I play standing up, except for vehicle games like 'VTOL VR'.
    Walking sitting down aggravates motion sickness for me.

Yeah it's been a bummer to see seated play become kind of the primary method for so many VR games.

Aaand weirdly enough we're back to VR having the reputation of making tons of people sick too. Turns out dialling down the refresh rate to 75 hz on some of the headsets to save money and having your primary locomotion method/playing style be a thing that causes your inner ear to get very upset has some consequences.

Those VR rulebooks and common practices from 2015 weren't just for fun!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 12
    Suds wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Hello VR thread!

Asgard's Wrath 2 likely has options for smooth turning. Also, you likely also got Asgard's Wrath 1 for free too. It's PCVR only on the Rift store.

For Alyx, it 100% has a seated mode. Check the options in game!

I actually saw that last night as I was exploring the various stores and menus and things. It says Asgard's Wrath 1 needs like 130gb of free space, which I don't have right now. So that one's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Suds wrote: »
    Standing most of the time. Some games are better seated. DiRT 2.0 obviously I play seated. Moss as well is better seated as its just more comfortable. I play Demeo seated as well.
    Yeah, anything where you're not required to be mobile works well seated. I've not played much of that kayaking game (Mirage?), but that's obviously designed for seated play. For me the distinction is entirely this: am I playing someone who is moving through the virtual world the way I would in the real world? If so, it's entirely standing play for me, provided that the game allows for this. It's one of my main annoyances with No Man's Sky VR: the extent to which it is designed for seated play. Though I understand that the seamless switching from walking to flying around in your ship makes this a more difficult design proposition.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I started No Man's Sky in VR last weekend, standing felt good while walking around on planet, but I'm glad I had put a chair just behind my play space for flying sections, especially with the virtual HOTAS style controls - being able to rest the controller on my knee and just pivot it felt pretty good, though I hear as of recently I can swap to a normal controller to fly ships if that's preferred.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    I fired up Alyx again last night and found the movement controls, and fixed that. I tinkered with a few other settings and got it to work with sitting as well.

I tried switching the gun hand to left hand, because I am left handed. But for some really stupid reason, movement controls follow gun hand in Alyx, which means that when I switched my gun hand to left, it also swapped movement controls. And then I was basically not able to walk or move anymore because my brain is entirely conditioned with modern movement controls mapped to the left thumb stick. But when you select left handed shooting, it swaps movement to the right thumbstick.

That was terrible. So anyway, I guess I'm going to shoot right handed.

I tried going into the keybind screen and rebinding it, and that program is so convoluted and insane that I have no idea how to use it.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited January 12
    The Steam VR keybinding was pretty confusing last time I messed with it, but it also has sharable per-game bindings, so there should be a slightly faster way to get that configuration if anybody else has ever set it up that way and shared it.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Christ alive the PCVR experience on quest 3 isn't exactly pick up and play is it!

Think I've finally got it sorted though, and now the only bottleneck is my GPU and CPU...

I'll write up my findings at some point, but the experience has gone from "I might refund this..." to "holy shit I'm living in the future".