[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Oh dang, what was the problem?

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Oh dang, what was the problem?

Also interested. For me it was very much plug and play.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Does anyone in this thread have tips re: The Last Clockwinder? I'm enjoying the game, but I also find that I am crap at throwing and catching things, which means that I may know a solution to a puzzle but it takes me a while to implement it, and the implementation is always clumsy. Or is that part of the game's appeal: seeing your clumsy clones be just as clumsy as your clumsy self?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    The standard link settings are terribad.

The options screen in the desktop app has the original quest 2 settings. So you can't set the res to "true native" at all. 120Hz is also missing. Link cable bitrate cannot be set and is quite low by default (artifacts yay!).

This is somewhat remedied by using oculus debug tool. Though this requires some futzing to dial in. I'm still tweaking this myself. But can get decent enough results in iRacing to take myself online without worrying about punting someone due to glitches.

Virtual Desktop is a option too, and does just work. It's somehow several steps ahead of Quests native software on all the above fronts.

Oh and then there's the fun of some routers not playing ball nicely with VR streaming for unknown reasons (guess which router I bought).

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited January 19
    Welp. It's Hitman VR all over again, for the new Bulletstorm VR port. The Steam reviews are not great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSEDr0mo6MU

Why is every VR game that I get excited for end being up a total disaster? (Probably it's because I want ports of big games that I never got around to playing, but the people making ports are only doing that because they think it will be cheap to do)

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    Hitman VR at least came with the normal game as well, so it's hard to be too upset about that for me.

• Options
    GSM wrote: »
    Why is every VR game that I get excited for end being up a total disaster? (Probably it's because I want ports of big games that I never got around to playing, but the people making ports are only doing that because they think it will be cheap to do)
    Do you also check out VR mods? I've not played all that many of them, but the ones I have were good to great, more so than quite a few official parts, and I've heard great things e.g. about the Resident Evil PCVR mods.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Do you also check out VR mods? I've not played all that many of them, but the ones I have were good to great, more so than quite a few official parts, and I've heard great things e.g. about the Resident Evil PCVR mods.

The only VR mods I've been looking at are the more comprehensive conversions, like the ones for Doom 3 and Half Life 2, where they had some level of source code access. The mods that rely on code injection make me feel uneasy, so I'm just skipping those.

I actually have a backlog now of smallish VR games that I've picked up during sales. I should probably just barrel through all those, instead of waiting around for the "cool big world with full-length game experience" that nobody wants to actually make.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

The only VR mods I've been looking at are the more comprehensive conversions, like the ones for Doom 3 and Half Life 2, where they had some level of source code access. The mods that rely on code injection make me feel uneasy, so I'm just skipping those.

I actually have a backlog now of smallish VR games that I've picked up during sales. I should probably just barrel through all those, instead of waiting around for the "cool big world with full-length game experience" that nobody wants to actually make.

Skyrim VR with mods is pretty close, but I never actually liked Skyrim that much to begin with. So for me it's more conceptually cool

How big is Asgard's Wrath 2? Is that in the "cool big world" league?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    I dunno, maybe? My two big problems with Asgard's Wrath are that it is fantasy themed (not my cup of tea), and a Quest exclusive (so I couldn't even play it on my PC + Rift if I wanted to).

• Options
    The Deep Rock Galactic VR mod is good enough that the DRG devs greenlit it to be used on ranked servers and crossplay with unmodded players.

• Options
    It might still be worth checking out a video or two on the best VR mods of 2023, just to see what's being done. By and large, I don't think you should hold your breath waiting for a "cool big world with full-length game experience" in VR, because that sort of thing will be exceedingly rare due to the costs involved and the overall size of the VR community.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Does anyone in this thread have tips re: The Last Clockwinder? I'm enjoying the game, but I also find that I am crap at throwing and catching things, which means that I may know a solution to a puzzle but it takes me a while to implement it, and the implementation is always clumsy. Or is that part of the game's appeal: seeing your clumsy clones be just as clumsy as your clumsy self?

My experience with the game is that, with the exception of the last level, you can most likely hit the lowest bar of item production (X <whatever> / minute with Y clones) with literally handing items from clone to clone as you go. Places where throwing is required, I just resigned myself to standing in one spot and trying again and again until I accidentally got a really good one recorded.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    It might still be worth checking out a video or two on the best VR mods of 2023, just to see what's being done. By and large, I don't think you should hold your breath waiting for a "cool big world with full-length game experience" in VR, because that sort of thing will be exceedingly rare due to the costs involved and the overall size of the VR community.

I know it's rare, that's the exact reason I got so excited about Hitman and Bulletstorm, and it just sucks that both of those fell flat on their faces. It's embarrassing that hobbyists are running circles around any official efforts to port existing games. IOI and People Can Fly should be taking a long hard look in the mirror, and asking themselves where they went wrong.

And here's another port that is eying a release on Steam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RCNGq8Q3s4

Unlike the Half Life VR mod currently available on Steam, this dev is planning on charging for their modification (assuming Embracer Group doesn't get litigious about their recent acquisition).

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/h8NnoRywqDc

Underdogs

Well I know what's going on the wishlist.

• Options
    ... and then I went and ordered the new BOBOVR S3 Pro headstrap, mainly because it sounds very comfortable, the battery seems to be quite an improvement over the M3, and seeing how quicky my Quest 3 fogs up I think the built-in fan should prove useful. I also ordered the AMVR facial interface with the Ice Silk fabric. It's a silly name, but I hear it's really comfortable.

I'm hoping that especially with the headstrap fan I'll be able to play in summer without nearly constant fogging up. Does anyone have any experience with the S3 headstrap and/or the AMVR interface?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Any opinions on the Vampire the Masquerade VR game? I see that it's on sale right now on the Meta store.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I tried the RE7 VR mod this weekend and all I can say is that it's barf central.

I can play Alyx for around 2hrs before getting queasy, but it was about 30min or less of the RE7 mod that I had to stop :(

• Options
    What is it that's most of an issue for you? Movement, or cut scenes that take control away from you? Also, how smoothly does it run on your machine? I'd expect that performance can make a big difference.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 1
    Wow. It was a pain in the ass to get my Occulus Rift S setup again. USB cable was acting weird.

What I think happened is that it needed a USB 3 port and I was plugging it into a lesser one.

I had to shift around my USB devices.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Just finished The Last Clockwinder. Sweet game, though it remained somewhat frustrating that I am really, really bad at throwing (and almost as bad at catching), because there were plenty of times where I knew how I could make a more efficient machine but either it took me minutes to get my moves just right... or I didn't manage at all, because I'm Clumsy McButterfingers.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    What is it that's most of an issue for you? Movement, or cut scenes that take control away from you? Also, how smoothly does it run on your machine? I'd expect that performance can make a big difference.

Yeah, I think it's the performance. It'll run really smooth, and then suddenly it'll have a ton of judder when I look around. Seems more like a bug of sorts rather than a performance issue. Also everything has this weird dithered look to it, not sure if it's normal, it looks like some sort of checkerboard-rendering artifact.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Oh my god I just played Elite Dangerous in VR, why did I not do this sooner this is fantastic

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Oh my god I just played Elite Dangerous in VR, why did I not do this sooner this is fantastic

I bought Elite specifically for VR and been playing it the last 7 years. Love it!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Yeah, I greatly enjoyed my time playing Elite Dangerous in VR. Even though the game is really pretty shallow, space dogfights and exploring planetary surfaces made for a fantastic early VR experience - though it also gave me my first uncanny VR moment: I got a starter Thrustmaster HOTAS to play Elite, and the in-game controls looked reasonably close to my own setup... but then they'd programmed in these little finger animations that would play occasionally, and seeing what my brain registered as my own hand suddenly moving of its own accord was surprisingly freaky.

Anyway, I finally got started on Lone Echo 2, and it's great to play this one with Virtual Desktop. I love the way you move around in zero-G, and the production values are very nice, not just for a VR game. The actual gameplay is still fairly simple, but it's a fantastic example of a VR game that knows how to use the medium well.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    • Options
      edited February 4
      Definitely tempted to go get a HOTAS now... though mouse and keyboard are working just fine :smiley:

Lone Echo 2 does look awesome. There's an older game called Star Shelter that's a much simpler version it looks like, had a ton of fun in that. It's got a pretty great feature in that as a PCVR game, a person can sit at the pc and be a little helper drone to the human in the headset.

Fleeb on
    • Options
      'Star Shelter' was awesome, but I'm pretty sure it is a very different game from 'Lone Echo 2'

• Options
      Oh no doubt, it's like comparing a go kart to a Tesla. I meant the 0-g locomotion mostly.

• Options
      lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
      Yeah, I greatly enjoyed my time playing Elite Dangerous in VR. Even though the game is really pretty shallow, space dogfights and exploring planetary surfaces made for a fantastic early VR experience - though it also gave me my first uncanny VR moment: I got a starter Thrustmaster HOTAS to play Elite, and the in-game controls looked reasonably close to my own setup... but then they'd programmed in these little finger animations that would play occasionally, and seeing what my brain registered as my own hand suddenly moving of its own accord was surprisingly freaky.

Anyway, I finally got started on Lone Echo 2, and it's great to play this one with Virtual Desktop. I love the way you move around in zero-G, and the production values are very nice, not just for a VR game. The actual gameplay is still fairly simple, but it's a fantastic example of a VR game that knows how to use the medium well.

Agree with Lone Echo's movement being a great fit for VR. Things that don't require legs, like the aforementioned Elite Dangerous, work really well for immersion.

I am also super bummed by the loss of Echo Arena, it was my favorite VR experience to spend a lot of time in.

I would download a car.
    • Options
      DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
      landing in stations in Elite Dangerous made me want a Galactic Trucking Simulator.

• Options
      SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
      edited February 6
      Dhalphir wrote: »
      landing in stations in Elite Dangerous made me want a Galactic Trucking Simulator.

but you repeat yourself

Syngyne on
      5gsowHm.png
    • Options
      So, a question

In case you haven't seen it: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2078410/Space_Trucker/

Probably a day 1 buy for me :smiley:

• Options
      SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
      Fleeb wrote: »
      So, a question

In case you haven't seen it: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2078410/Space_Trucker/

Probably a day 1 buy for me :smiley:

There is a demo in the next fest for it too

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      No VR though 😔

• Options
      It's VR only! :smile:

• Options
      edited February 6
      Ah, silly me. I didn't click and just assumed it was Star Trucker, which is also in the Next Fest.
      https://store.steampowered.com/app/2380050/Star_Trucker/

Blah64 on
    • Options
      That Vampire the Masquerade game is out for PCVR on steam now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2431700/Vampire_The_Masquerade__Justice/

It's by Fast Travel Games, the same folk who made the Budget Cuts games. I had skipped those, since the setting and tone felt too budget-compromised to me (fine games by all accounts, but I know development resource shortcuts when I see them). The reviews of VTM: Justice are mostly positive so far at least!

• Options
      McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
      edited February 8
      Legendary Tales is leaving early access on Steam and coming to PSVR2 in the next day or so, getting very good reviews from people that have played it so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzGWdadghM8

Hefty price tag by VR standards but sounds like there is also a lot of game there to play, being a fairly deep ARPG with lots of skill points and abilities to unlock.

McFodder on
      Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
      PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    • Options
      Today's obviously VR Christmas: my BOBOVR S3 Pro strap arrived, as did the AMVR face cover set - and the AMVR controller straps that a friend accidentally got twice and has now gifted me his spares. :) Shame that I won't have much time for VR gaming this weekend; mustn't grumble, though.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    • Options
      Update: I'm liking the BOBOVR S3 and the new AMVR face cover a lot - and it's nice not to have to recharge the Quest 3 after every use. I also like the AMVR controller straps, though I'll still have to figure out how tight (or not) I want them to be. If they're too tight, it's uncomfortable, if they're not tight enough, the controllers wobble a bit too much for my taste.

One thing I didn't expect: since the BOBOVR strap and AMVR cover result in almost total darkness when I'm wearing the headset, it's more difficult - in combination with the controller straps - to put on and take off the headset. Not massively, but it's now a case of: okay, first headphones, then controllers, then (gingerly, because now the controllers are in the way) the headset. Or I learn how to put on the controllers while I'm wearing the headset. It's a challenge. :p

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg