Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Moss 1 is a neat platformer and interactive with a nice story.

I still need to play 2

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I mostly play on PS5, but my PC is decent, and the adapter is cheap enough. What are some of the better VR games on PC?

I always hear people talking about Half Life and how I'm an idiot for buying Beat Saber on console when the PC version has "near infinite" tracks, but I never really hear about anything else.

I'm not super familiar with what's on PS5, but I'll give it a try

Superhot if you didn't catch it on PS4, VR Chat for social spaces, Walking Dead S&S, Elite Dangerous, iRacing, and - through the magic of ReVive - Quest games like Asgard's Wrath

There are also piles of dungeon crawler / roguelike type games, like Into The Radius, In Death or Trickster VR. Or puzzle games like Obduction, Starseed, etc

What kinds of games do you usually lean towards?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I used to have PSVR1, though I traded it in eventually. I had a bunch of games, some of which carried over to PSVR2.

These are the games that had no PSVR2 upgrade:
    • Accounting+
    • Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
    • Audica
    • Superhot VR
    • Trover Saves the Universe

These are the PSVR2 games I have and the games that have upgrades:
    • Beat Saber
    • Budget Cuts
    • Job Simulator & Vacation Simulator
    • Moss: Books 1&2
    • Red Matter
    • Pistol Whip
    • Resident Evil 4&7
    • Synapse
    • Tiger Blade

I wouldn't mind having Superhot VR back since they never bothered with an upgrade.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    If you have a beastly machine, there's also a wealth of vr mods for normal games, including uevr, which works with most ue games

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I think I played Thrill of the Fight for the fitness aspect, but ended up more often than not punching a wall by accident. And you will sweat but you've still got this heavy thing on your head.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Oh yeah anything boxing or stabbing will definitely require very carefully defined play areas empty of furniture or obstacles. Though with Thrill of the Fight by being able to reach out of the play area it let me basically lean myself entirely out of the ring and punch bystanders so that was fun.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    I mostly play on PS5, but my PC is decent, and the adapter is cheap enough. What are some of the better VR games on PC?

I always hear people talking about Half Life and how I'm an idiot for buying Beat Saber on console when the PC version has "near infinite" tracks, but I never really hear about anything else.

I'm not super familiar with what's on PS5, but I'll give it a try

Superhot if you didn't catch it on PS4, VR Chat for social spaces, Walking Dead S&S, Elite Dangerous, iRacing, and - through the magic of ReVive - Quest games like Asgard's Wrath

There are also piles of dungeon crawler / roguelike type games, like Into The Radius, In Death or Trickster VR. Or puzzle games like Obduction, Starseed, etc

What kinds of games do you usually lean towards?

Note that Frontier is no longer updating Elite: Dangerous on consoles. It’s still playable, but you’re stuck with the version from Novemberish 2022(no on foot content, isolated galaxy with other console and legacy PC players).

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    The Room VR is an escape room (but the The Room series is some of the best ones of those) -- in VR, though, the polished-brass-and-wood aesthetic works _really_ well when you're actually moving keys/gears/amulets/etc around. I should play that again, it was great.

Serious Sam The Last Hope is a decent stand-still-and-shoot-tons-of-things-coming-at-you game if you like that sort of thing. It's pretty old, there may be better ones by now; Space Pirate Trainer is also good for that genre. (and also old, I haven't actually bought any new VR games for a few years now, because Alyx was about as much as my PC could handle semi-comfortably and lower FPS makes me queasy)

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Walkabout mini golf is fantastic.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited June 4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCpv3XuxTL8

Here's IOI following up their woefully incomplete PSVR1/PCVR adaptation of the World of Assassination trilogy by allowing a completely different company to make a Quest exclusive Hitman game. It's called "Hitman 3 VR: Reloaded" but it's incredibly obvious that this doesn't share a single line of code with the Glacier-2-engine-powered original, and instead will be built in Unity using whatever interaction libraries XR Games regularly uses for their other titles, like "Zombieland Headshot Fever". It appears the developers have access to all the LOD3 models they could ever want from the original game's asset library, but it seems doubtful they'll be able to recreate the depth of interactions, AI, and environmental detail on the Quest. Yes, I am still mad at IOI. And this isn't helping.

Sorry, everyone else was being positive and making PCVR recommendations. The Talos Principle VR is still my favorite single player VR game, so that I guess.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    RespondPleaseRespondPlease Registered User regular
    Just make Hitman 4 already with a proper VR mode option.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I find it hilarious that most of the suggestions here are for games that are already available on PSVR2.

26904.png
  • Options
    Well, it can be hard to keep track of which games are available on which platforms.

• Options
    I was thinking of grabbing either Vertigo 2 or Crossfire: Sierra Squad from the Days of Play sale. Any thoughts on those?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Oh hey a thread for VR, just what I'm looking for.

I'm interested in getting into VR. I will be using my PC for this, some folks over in D&D told me I should maybe wait for the PSVR PC link stuff, but I'm not sure I want to wait 3+ months to get into this, or if that'll even be a good solution for me. I did see some reviews of the pixmax as a more modern PC VR system instead of going with the index. Also, I'm absolutely against anything meta/facebook, fuck that whole ass company. I'll pay a bit more to get something that's not going to have me make facebook accounts or lose support if facebook decides to drop it because it's not profitable.

Would the pixmax be a good headset to get into? I'll probably still want to use the index knuckles, they seem to be the absolute best controllers for what I'm looking for (finger actuation and all that). I'll likely be using this mostly for MSFS and SkyrimVR, it looks like pixmax might have good support for MSFS so that's cool.

If I go with the knuckles, will I need base stations?

Thanks everyone!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I think the biggest difference between the Pimax headsets and the Index is FOV? I've also heard that framerate and FOV > resolution. So... you're gonna need a beast of a PC to drive 2880x2880 per-eye resolution in the Pimax (...this is specifically the Crystal Light, I couldn't tell if the others were available).

(fwiw, I've only ever used the HTC Vive)

You'll need base stations to use the Index Controllers. (Valve Index Base Stations, HTC Vive Base Stations, or HTC Vive Pro Base Stations)

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I think the biggest difference between the Pimax headsets and the Index is FOV? I've also heard that framerate and FOV > resolution. So... you're gonna need a beast of a PC to drive 2880x2880 per-eye resolution in the Pimax (...this is specifically the Crystal Light, I couldn't tell if the others were available).

You'll need base stations to use the Index Controllers. (Valve Index Base Stations, HTC Vive Base Stations, or HTC Vive Pro Base Stations)

I do have a beast of a PC, but honestly as old as the Index is I feel like it's just the path of least resistance after talking it over with someone else. I'm not one who needs high fidelity anyways, I just want the experience and the controllers matter far more to me than all of that. Also feels like if an index2 does show up, having the index currently would let me piecemeal upgrade... and since I'll be using steam I won't have to toy around too much with it?

Thanks for the help and info though, I appreciate it.

It's kind of wild how much Quest/Meta is the current focus, I really do not want to enter that ecosystem.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    I have heard that *Blade & Sorcery* is getting a progression/dungeon exploration mode soon.

I have some interest in the game suddenly.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Blah64 wrote: »
    I have heard that *Blade & Sorcery* is getting a progression/dungeon exploration mode soon.

I have some interest in the game suddenly.

Even without the dungeon aspect, it's so much goddamn fun. Though the realism of the violence can be a bit overwhelming at first.

It's also highly moddable.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »

I do have a beast of a PC, but honestly as old as the Index is I feel like it's just the path of least resistance after talking it over with someone else. I'm not one who needs high fidelity anyways, I just want the experience and the controllers matter far more to me than all of that. Also feels like if an index2 does show up, having the index currently would let me piecemeal upgrade... and since I'll be using steam I won't have to toy around too much with it?

Thanks for the help and info though, I appreciate it.

It's kind of wild how much Quest/Meta is the current focus, I really do not want to enter that ecosystem.
    Yeah, I'm still considering getting an Index once I move into my new office.

I've heard that integrating the Pimax headset with different controllers can involve some "tinkering," so going with a set intended to be used together is probably a good way to go. (I'm vaguely considering the Vive Pro 2 w/ the Index controllers and base stations, because I already have the Vive Wireless Adapter)

• Options
    edited June 14
    I put this together for myself as much as @bowen 's question, to re-evaluate my assessment.

My assessment: The current headset landscape (if you object to Meta) is stinky. I also don't mind paying more for a more open equivalent, but an equivalent doesn't exist!
    • Lynx R-1 -- It was trying to be that equivalent, so I backed it. Then covid supply chain issues took a big dump on it, and it's 2 years late. Even if it turns out to be good, 2-year-old specs are rough to recommend at current prices.
    • Index -- it was a great headset, but it's even more expensive and more outdated than the R-1.
    • Bigscreen Beyond -- one of the few actually good options, it seems like a great successor to the Valve Index base station ecosystem. But it's engineered to fit your scanned face exactly, so it's borderline unusuable for anyone else.
    • PiMax Crystal -- got phased out, and we haven't quite gotten the next gen of PiMax consumer headsets yet. PiMax Crystal Light is out soon(?), Crystal Super is still further out.
    • PSVR2 -- might be good, but we won't know what features we lose on PC until the adapter is out. E.g., we might not get the benefit of the eye tracking and foveated rendering.
    • DecaGear -- promised everything and then skipped town
    • Pico Neo 4 -- owned by ByteDance, which I side-eye in a similar way to Meta, and is also not officially available in NA
    • Shiftall Megane X -- Seems neat, but still not out
    • Somnium VR1 -- Good specs and an impressive engineering pedigree, but feels like a scam between ties to some crypto bullshit, and it's still not out 3 years after announcement.

Caveats
    There are plenty of great headsets, this list is just what's available now / soon, and a lot of my criticisms are about MSRP vs how outdated the tech is. Honestly, any VR headset is amazing. I could go back to my Vive 1 and still get wowed. If you can find something used at a great price, that will also be amazing.

Controllers
    The Index controllers need IR base stations for tracking. So it makes the most sense to use them with a base station headset like the Index or Bigscreen Beyond. You can get base station tracked controllers working with inside-out headsets, but it seems like a waste when the headset doesn't need it. It's also A Project.

Other controllers are totally fine. I'm a big fan of the Index controllers, they're what I've used most, but most VR controllers are pretty good now.

Index and upgrading
    Valve's VR development has leaked little bits in string tables and whatnot with Steam updates. The community's current best guess is that it will have inside-out tracking, which would not be compatible with current equipment. So the upgrade path may be rocky.

I'm in the market for a new headset too, and I'd love to go with Valve. But of course, they're on Valve Time, which means we won't see it until The Water Wars of 2045.

templewulf on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited June 14
    I was gonna suggest the Reverb G2 as a good option as well, but it seems like it's not really for sale anywhere anymore... a bummer, as the tracking w/ four cameras was much better than the earlier 2-camera models, and the pixel density is awesome - I can actually read instruments in the cockpit without having to lean forward like I have really bad myopia. The inside-out tracking isn't as good as the Index tracking, but it's super easy to get up and running, and aside from some weird edge cases or super-intense Beatsaber, I had no issues.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Apogee wrote: »
    I was gonna suggest the Reverb G2 as a good option as well, but it seems like it's not really for sale anywhere anymore... a bummer, as the tracking w/ four cameras was much better than the earlier 2-camera models, and the pixel density is awesome - I can actually read instruments in the cockpit without having to lean forward like I have really bad myopia. The inside-out tracking isn't as good as the Index tracking, but it's super easy to get up and running, and aside from some weird edge cases or super-intense Beatsaber, I had no issues.

Would the Reverb even function after Windows MR support is dropped?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Pretty sure it will, yes. The main requirement is having the Windows MR plugin in Steam, and given the hardware isn't changing, I doubt that API is going to need much updating...

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    So, the new Blade and Sorcery update is pretty friggin good. Enemy AI is still dumb as a pile of rocks but they've added some boss fights with a neat mechanic. Really enjoying this.

• Options
    my index showed up, VR is very fun

my VR area has a lot of space for whole room shenanigans. I spend a lot of time just exploring rooms and looking around and like laying on the floor and other general dumb ass things but for some reason it's just very entertaining to me.

My only problem is it's hard to get a good focus, I must have a weird face or weird eyes, the VR headset feels like it needs to sit very high up on my head, and things get blurry like I'm farsighted (I guess this is just a general thing with VR). So I really need to "look at" the thing I want to be in focus.

All in all lots of fun, also I'm amazingly out of shape. 45 mintues in and I was sweating like the best of them.

Skyrim VR with the bow and arrow is stupid fun as well.

• Options
    edited June 19
    Current headsets use lenses focused at infinity, which confuses your eyes' attempts to switch to near focus when converging on something close to your head. If you need to read small text on something in VR, I suggest closing one eye. For me at least this makes my brain relax and stop trying to get the correct focus.

GSM on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Make sure the straps are positioned correctly on your head so the headset sits right. It took me a while with my quest to get it sitting correctly and I had the same issues you do.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Yeah once I'm in game I hardly notice it anymore, it's only if I'm trying to use my desktops and such. Not a big deal.

Also body transfer illusion is strange as all shit, was not expecting my arms and hands to not feel like they belong to my body after a few hours of using the VR headset.

• Options
    edited June 22
    bowen wrote: »
    my index showed up, VR is very fun

my VR area has a lot of space for whole room shenanigans. I spend a lot of time just exploring rooms and looking around and like laying on the floor and other general dumb ass things but for some reason it's just very entertaining to me.

My only problem is it's hard to get a good focus, I must have a weird face or weird eyes, the VR headset feels like it needs to sit very high up on my head, and things get blurry like I'm farsighted (I guess this is just a general thing with VR). So I really need to "look at" the thing I want to be in focus.

All in all lots of fun, also I'm amazingly out of shape. 45 mintues in and I was sweating like the best of them.

Skyrim VR with the bow and arrow is stupid fun as well.

Hell yeah, dude! VR is the first genuinely big advancement I've experienced in games in a long time. It feels like going from SNES to N64 or trying your first online PC game. Even dumb little things that barely count as games feel somehow more impactful.

Getting the good focus point is sometimes referred to as the "sweet spot". Some headsets have larger sweet spots than others, and you might not even need it exactly dialed in for some games. One thing that helps me is to put the headset most of the way on, loosen the straps a little, then really *smoosh* the front into your face. You can move it forward/backward and up/down, looking for the "sweet spot". Once you find it, tighten it down.

templewulf on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Skyrim VR is probably the best VR experience out there, wish they'd give Oblivion and the other Fallouts the same treatment.

Just upgraded to the Quest3. My only initial complaint is that the passthru is so good that the fact that it isn't perfect makes me sad. It's just a little fuzzy, and just a little wonky, and it shouldn't have taken much to get it that next step.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    There's a heap of skyrim vr QoL mods that are worth investigating.

• Options
    edited June 22
    Campy wrote: »
    There's a heap of skyrim vr QoL mods that are worth investigating.

I used wabbajack with the FUS modlist and turned on a bunch of those. VRIK is probably my favorite of the bunch.

bowen on
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Humble Bundle's running a VR bundle with a bunch of Devolver VR stuff; Gorn, Tentacular, Talos Principle, Blockhood, Serious Sam 1/2/3 VR (ports), Serious Sam Last Hope VR (wave shooter), for what looks like $10 USD (I'm in canada).

Serious Sam Last Hope is good if you like that sort of game, the other Serious Sam ones I couldn't get on with because I'm too used to KBAM for FPS; I hear Gorn is good but prone to making the player hit walls/ceiling? Has anyone played Tentacular?

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wabbajack is def the way, did FO4 that way as well.

But it’s still not as good Skyrim.

Check out the Dr Beef catalogue as well. Some good conversions. Doom 1 to 3 are amazing.

When you are looking for new stuff you can do the unreal injector.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've already tried google and reddit for answers, with no luck so far, so I figured I'd throw this out to the locals;

I've had an Oculus Rift S for about 4.5 years now, and it has served me very well, between periods of significant use (Beat Saber addiction that comes and goes, enjoying the hell out of Half Life: Alyx, Pistol Whip, The Climb, etc).

I just upgraded to a new PC, hooked it up, got the software installed, everything is working, for the most part. I had issues with the audio not working in games, but it did in menus. I could click the button to bring up the meta menu and got the little bwamp sound, but I'd go back into Beat Saber and it was silent.

I re-installed the software, and that seemed to fix it.

Now the last remaining issue is giving me trouble; the haptics in the controllers are gone, no response whatsoever.

The reinstall didn't help, removing the batteries and trying to make the system forget they were there (part of a string of things to do as a solution that I found), etc. Yes, it's not impossible that both controllers conked out at the same time during whatever months of downtime it has been since I last used them seriously, but I think it's more likely that something just isn't working.

So I thought I'd mention it here, either because someone might have dealt with the same issue and resolved it, or seen someone else having this problem and found an answer.

I would like to upgrade to an Index (or an Index 2, though that seems to be a ways off, based on what I've read), but with a wedding coming up in a few months, that's a more expensive fix than I'd like to indulge in at the moment. It's a backup plan for next year perhaps, but not for now. For now I'd just like to feel the buzz of the sabers when I cross them once again.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 24
    Everyone might want to hop on this while they still can. A number of Quest games have been on sale for upwards of 90% off with promo codes. Some people have been putting together lists of promo codes, check the list at the top of this Reddit post, but also look at the comments for a couple more:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1di6tvy/new_trend_with_vr_games_going_90_off_on_meta/

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    That's cool for consumers, but it doesn't bode well for the state of VR...

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    How does that work? Is it only for new sign ups?