As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Peace For Sale

• Options
    chokemchokem Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    You simply cannot do this shit, it is insane. They're a sovereign country, and it absolutely does not matter that he was a bad person. We're in the middle of fighting proxy wars with their interests, and the point of that is so you do not have an actual war between nation

There is one exception to this. If you are the absolute most powerful country in the world you can do it and other nations just have to accept it as is, because really what can you do?

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Will Iran's actions satisfy their hardliners and the public? I think it was ultimately a good move for everyone to just bluster about this, but Soleimani wasn't just some random guy

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    chokem wrote: »
    So basically to summarize this news cycle: a bad man got killed off and some people got angry but we decided to not make a big deal about it.

See you next time!

you know there's a reason you keep getting banned from threads and it has a lot to do with how smug you are about making posts

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    You simply cannot do this shit, it is insane. They're a sovereign country, and it absolutely does not matter that he was a bad person. We're in the middle of fighting proxy wars with their interests, and the point of that is so you do not have an actual war between nation

There is one exception to this. If you are the absolute most powerful country in the world you can do it and other nations just have to accept it as is, because really what can you do?

You could not be a dick, if you were the most powerful country in the world

It's what I'd like, at least

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Literally “might makes right”.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    well that went about as well as it possibly could have considering the actors involved.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

With great power comes great responsibility

Might makes right!

Come the fuck on. We could be huge fucking assholes to everybody in the world but even the most powerful nation on the planet occasionally needs something from someone else. Even if you ignore the morality aspect to this whole shitshow.

Being powerful means we have a responsibility to be a force of good in the world; that means not pulling goddamn red wedding shit.

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Trump calling on NATO to become more involved.

Yeah, I heard him say that and was expecting him invoking article 2, or threaten NATO members to commit troops or the US would be out, or something.

But it just seems to have been an empty statement, without a demand for the other members.

And that's good, as forcing NATO to intervene here is a good way to stretch it to the breaking point.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

Reorient your foreign and domestic policy such that the aggressor loses influence and eventually loses their status as the most powerful country in the world. In the place of that nation, another nation will exert their influence because stability is a prime concern of functional governments, and even ideological opponents that operate on a rational basis may be more appealing than a chaotic world oriented around an unstable unipolar power.

As is happening across the entire field of our allies, and has been for the past few years.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular

I'm sure rome had this line of thinking.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but the US embassy wasn't attacked was it? It was a protest that turned about as rowdy as a major US city after they win a big game.

Also a plane in Iran crashed last night and seemed to explode....I haven't seen any news saying if it was an accident or not...did we blow up a plane? I know that seems like a stretch.

Given that the folks on the plane included 60 canadians and another 30 or so europeans, it seems unlikely we were involved.

My theory is the Iranians accidentally shot it down, thinking it was an American fighter jet.

Not every idiot in the world is American.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

"Might makes right" is the credo of a dictatorship. Also fucking stupid because we can't actually do everything by ourselves. We need allies, which means we need trust, and actions like this destroy our credibility on the world stage.

• Options
    chokemchokem Registered User regular
    Being a dick to one country that has done you wrong isn’t the same as being a dick to the entire world.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

uh, they could spark a wider conflict that brings in Russia and China that starts a nuclear world wide war? They could start their nuclear program again (they are) and then set off dirty bombs in the region or in the US? they could retaliate against military bases?

The US does not outstrip world powers in the same way it once did, we do not have the ability to just wave our dicks around like this. Iran has alliances that could see this as an opportunity to exploit poor leadership and weak alliances for an actual hot war.

That isn't likely, but it is irresponsible and has all the markers for a sparking incident that could lead up to that.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Being a dick to one country that has done you wrong isn’t the same as being a dick to the entire world.

america is a dick to the entire world tho

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    So basically to summarize this news cycle: a bad man got killed off and some people got angry but we decided to not make a big deal about it.

See you next time!

Yup nothing ever has consequences that last longer than a newscycle!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Hey.

Guess what.

We live in a world that is connected.

Starting fucking Middle East wars affects other countries than the US and Iran.

• Options

yes and that's why the entire world doesn't consider Iran to have been a dick to them

sorry everyone, i thought of a more clever "gotcha" post

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but the US embassy wasn't attacked was it? It was a protest that turned about as rowdy as a major US city after they win a big game.

Also a plane in Iran crashed last night and seemed to explode....I haven't seen any news saying if it was an accident or not...did we blow up a plane? I know that seems like a stretch.

Given that the folks on the plane included 60 canadians and another 30 or so europeans, it seems unlikely we were involved.

My theory is the Iranians accidentally shot it down, thinking it was an American fighter jet.

why would an american fighter be taking off from Tehran?

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    As someone stuck at work and unable to watch (and really who doesn't want to listen to Trump!) thanks to all who summarized this!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    I'm holding on for the inevitable twitter whiplash.

Trump sees on the news them reporting he sounded conciliatory and he undoes everything with a harebrained twitter storm .

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

In the context of regularly being a dick to the entire world, it’s hard to separate one spasm of violence with limited justification that broaches international norms from the pattern of generally irrational behavior and disrespect for international norms.

This isn’t hypothetical. Our allies are making moves to reduce reliance on the US, which involves strengthening themselves or aligning with other, larger powers. This particular incident will further that behavior.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Except now that we've fucked with Iraq, Libya, North Korea, and now Iran, there's little reason for counties to trust that the US won't fuck with them if they give up nuclear weapons. Rationally, we'll probably see a lot more nuclear proliferation which will make the entire world much less safe.

• Options

I can't think of any time in the past what? 12-16 years that Iran has done anything warranting that kind of assassination?

admittedly though the middle east has become a massive blur of suck to me since 2001

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular

Well.. you could start thinking "the US wouldn't be so high and mighty if we had the Bomb" and develop nuclear weapons.
    You don't even have to have as many as the US, just enough to completely plunge us into nuclear winter.
    Or failing that, basically hitting any US city would prompt the complete destruction of earth in the counter strike.

Welcome to the MAD nightmare: maximum proliferation.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    What an utterly ridiculous amount of energy wasted to accomplish nothing but to make things worse.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

See you next time!

To summarize. We assassinated an Iranian official, causing Iran to redevelop nuclear weapons and made nonproliferation dead, Iraq demanding we leave their country, and diplomacy less likely to function when we get involved out of fear of another assassination.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Bogart. @chokem banned from this thread.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Develop a nuclear aresenal.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    "Adderall" is trending after Trump's briefing

I'm kinda concerned that since Trump got exactly what he wanted out of this (blow up Iranian general -> ineffective, easy to ignore Iranian response) he will try it again.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Hopefully the pentagon has learned their fucking lesson about presenting crazy options.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Hopefully the pentagon has learned their fucking lesson about presenting crazy options.

What, you mean the Pentagon views the Middle East for anything but perfecting our drone and missile delivery systems?

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

If “don’t be a dick” isn’t a good enough reason to not abuse power, I’ll give you a pragmatic answer.

The US is powerful because of our economy. All our troops, weapons, everything costs money. No money, no badass military.

If the US abuses it’s power because “what can you really do”, then what they will really do is slowly erode our economy. And FYI, this is already happening.

Trump not joining the Pacific Trade Agreement ceded economic power to China, which undermines the US economy. All the tariffs do the same thing.

Yes, our economy is still strong, but it could be stronger. If nothing changes, China will overtake the US as the dominant economic power of the world. If that happens, you can say goodbye to the favorable trade agreements the US has with other countries. Then you can say goodbye to the overwhelming power of the US.

So that’s what they can do.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular

If we've agreed to work on a group project for school together with three other people, and you've watched me stab one person in the back, let another get eaten by dogs while I watched, and then I slapped the third person, you would have to be some kind of shortsighted goose to trust me and not be *incredibly* wary of all my motivations from there on in, even if I haven't done anything to you personally, yet

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

why would an american fighter be taking off from Tehran?

I believe the flight's takeoff was delayed by an hour. An unexpected aircraft, during a heightened state of alert, and an inexperienced commander with an itchy trigger finger may have launched. All conjecture, of course.

• Options
    I like how Trump made sure to mention that Iran shot down two drones to explain how bad they are

Buddy, if I saw killbots that had killed non-combatants in the past circling over me like vultures, I’d probably try and get rid of them too

• Options
    choke was kicked from the thread we don't need to keep discrediting him further :)

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Iran's Foreign Minister has been (illegally) blocked from entering the US to go to the UN headquarters.

Anything Trump says about wanting diplomacy is a bald-faced lie.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Iran's Foreign Minister has been (illegally) blocked from entering the US to go to the UN headquarters.

Anything Trump says about wanting diplomacy is a bald-faced lie.

Obvious edit

But yeah, there’s no reason to do this except to keep their side of the story quiet

This discussion has been closed.