As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Breakfast Gruel [chat]

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I am eating an expensive chocolate bar and the wrapper proudly proclaims it's made with sea salt. Is this a marketing gimmick like sun-dried tomatoes? Is sea salt superior in taste to table salt?

It's superior in that table salt is often more processed and more finely ground so the flavor and texture is a bit different.

Also, sun-dried tomatoes are way better than regular tomatoes for putting in sandwiches so not sure what you mean by comparing them.

I can't taste a difference. To me, a dried tomato is a tomato.

wait what are you saying here

that you can't taste the difference between a dried tomato and a tomato that isn't?

They are equally flavorful.

This is the same as saying a grape and a raisin tastes the same
    This is insane

poo
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    All salt is sea salt

What is marketed as sea salt is generally coarser and there is more surface area on the individual salt particles which makes them more delectable to the taste buds.

Plus it tends to have a pleasant crunchiness.

no it isn't. Rock salt is still a huge part of salt production.

Rock salt is sea salt from ancient seas

knew you would say that, but no. Besides the definition being what it is - if we've evaporated it from the sea, sea salt, if we dug it out of a mountain, rock salt - it's not like having become geology doesn't matter at all for the composition

or as a different argument: it was sea salt. It became rock.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    We should just call it Star Salt

There's a Salt of Saturn.

It's lead acetate.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Oatmeal (rolled oats)
    No, you’re wrong

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    New Salt XTREME with ten times the sodium!

now that's what I'm talking about

50% less sodium because this contains 50% salt is just cheating

but if you can make salt that is more salt than salt is?

well I don't know why we would want that but, cool, anyway

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    you two need to stop being so

salty

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Malt-o-meal
    I am eating an expensive chocolate bar and the wrapper proudly proclaims it's made with sea salt. Is this a marketing gimmick like sun-dried tomatoes? Is sea salt superior in taste to table salt?

It's superior in that table salt is often more processed and more finely ground so the flavor and texture is a bit different.

Also, sun-dried tomatoes are way better than regular tomatoes for putting in sandwiches so not sure what you mean by comparing them.

that you can't taste the difference between a dried tomato and a tomato that isn't?

This is insane

A glass of grape juice and and a glass of raisin juice taste the same.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    the idea of salt mines always seemed so crazy to me before I realized that drying seawater to make like, hundreds of tons of salt, would be a real massive pain in the ass too and maybe it honestly isn't that much harder to just dig out chunks of it from a mountain

it's still kind of weird though

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

This is insane

That is not correct

poo
  • Options

This is insane

hold up

who the fuck makes raisin juice

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Anyone remember the California Raisins

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    if you have consumed raisin juice I am angry with the people who made you do it but I'm also angry with you for doing it

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna have to practice these git commands in the morning

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options

all i know was that they were a giant failure, marketing-wise

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Some weird shit I never heard of from, like, Slovakia
    I remember they got some good hits in in Foodfight

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options

They released 7 albums. They had a single on the Billboard Hot 100. They had a TV show. They won an Emmy!

The only failure was that the cost of success was literally twice as much as California raisin producers made in increased profits.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Grits
    I thought sea salt had heavy metals and plastics.

• Options
    edited January 2020

They released 7 albums. They had a single on the Billboard Hot 100. They had a TV show. They won an Emmy!

The only failure was that the cost of success was literally twice as much as California raisin producers made in increased profits.

"the only failure" is quite the brilliant phrase since it kind of tries to suggest that the important thing is the amount of failures

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options

That...that last part's pretty important.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Efforts to reboot the SunMaid Raisins woman as a gritty, unstable, grape-picker-on-the-edge who doesn't care about anything, to attract the teen market failed miserably.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    I thought sea salt had heavy metals and plastics.

don't let the marketing hype get you, the plastics add nothing

the heavy metals though, that's where the flavour lies

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »

Look, we said you'd make more money. We didn't say you'd make enough to cover the money you spent to make that money.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020

everything went well except this one thing though

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options

everything went well except this one thing though

The thing that they were designed to do, naturally

• Options
    I'm watching some old true crime show about a girl who was abducted, and the voiceover says "helicopters were called to aid in the search" and it cut to an AH-1 Cobra with a full rocket loadout.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    the idea of salt mines always seemed so crazy to me before I realized that drying seawater to make like, hundreds of tons of salt, would be a real massive pain in the ass too and maybe it honestly isn't that much harder to just dig out chunks of it from a mountain

It also really depends on where you live. Growing up near the ocean, sure, rock salt seems dumb. Growing up in middle of a continental mass, rock salt is kind super important.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Welp, that'll do it. Congrats, LSU.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Brody wrote: »

It also really depends on where you live. Growing up near the ocean, sure, rock salt seems dumb. Growing up in middle of a continental mass, rock salt is kind super important.
    Brody wrote: »

that too

but also like, scale

I mean, I think like well just dry it, but now I'm thinking in terms of a pot, would be big salt pans wouldn't it, and scraping that together ain't trivial, and really I guess my main business devolves quickly into moving piles of salt around on wheelbarrows, whether I've got a mine or salt pans

(although there's loads of different methods of course)

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Ok the spam was some grade-A word salad tonight. The ones lately seem like they actually had the hang of translation.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

Wait, didn't he blow up like, that baseball's entire extended family in those baskets?

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Edit: realized that this post was a mistake

A Kobold's Kobold on
  • Options
    Heh, lep tit ox

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Due to my recent and nearly crippling Solitairica binge, I've started idly plotting out a game based on factoring polynomials. Some main ideas based on this incredibly garish mockup (just to mess around with potential layouts):

qpozwliiu7ty.jpg

1. the "enemies" either are or produce polynomials into the target (4)
    2. sliding stuff up the three "attack" paths (2) performs the corresponding operation on the target (4): addition, subtraction, and division
    -- division attacks can fail, the others cost resource
    3. you draw cards into your hand (1) and can either
    -- slide them directly up an attack path (2)
    -- drag them through an operation into the bay (3), where they perform the operation on whatever is stored in the bay
    4. you can drag whatever you have stored in the bay (3) up an attack path
    5. when you've reduced the target as much as you can, you can clear it by swiping it off the screen
    -- this will either generate or cost resource based on how much is left
    nywy5geijigx.jpg

The blue bits are potential popup menu locations for items/abilities/menus, health etc. go on the left.

I'm thinking maybe each level can have additional polynomials pile up, and there could be multiple storage bays so that you can plan ahead.

Now to never actually get around to coding any of it.

@Feral @21stCentury @Arch

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Different salts taste different, yes. Also texture and sodium density.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Grits
    @Casual Eddy

1) I can't believe you jumped from publishing to programming. I wish I could do that.

2) You didn't say the name of the webcomic but I read all of Green + Gold and now I want more.

3) I'm reading a webcomic about gay birdmen on that same site....

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    At about 730pm today porp decided that we should paint the kids bathroom while we binge watch parks and rec

so that was my monday

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Oatmeal (rolled oats)
    You married a Leslie what did you expect

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Your Monday started at 7:30 PM?

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Pulped newsprint
    Mawwage

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
This discussion has been closed.