The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 7: Curry!)

SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
edited February 24 in Singularity Engine++
Hello! Want to try out new recipes and cook together with other people in SE++?

Because my friends group is not at all interested in the culinary arts, and a lot of people on these forums are (or want to be), I figured this would be a great place to run a cookbook/recipe club. We don't get to sample each others' cooking, but since we'll all make the same (or similar) dish, it'll be like we're eating together!

The process is as follows:

a) We choose a dish to make
b) Discuss alterations/substitutions
c) Make the recipe, discussing thoughts about the dish, posting pics, rating the recipe(s), etc.
d) Repeat

I figured we can do this on a weekly basis. It won't be super formal or require signups. We can coordinate for cooking/posting on a particular evening (Saturday?) but if you make it earlier or later than that particular day, that's more than fine too. :D

SEVENTH COOKALONG

dbreliio0qj4.png
Curry is an umbrella term for many different dishes across the world, particularly Asia. It's usually a combination of spices and herbs prepared in a sauce-like mixture, though just what spices and in what amounts varies by region. Curry may contain seafood, chicken, other meats, or just a blend of vegetables. Here's a selection of recipes, but please suggest others as I'm by no means an expert.

I want an Indian chicken curry
Vishakha's Kitchen's Indian Chicken Curry (video)

I want a tikka masala
Cafe Delites' Chicken Tikka Masala

I want a Thai curry
Cookie and Kate's Thai Red Curry (Vegan)

I want a chickpea curry
Serious Eats' Chickpea, Coconut, and Cashew Curry

I want a Japanese curry
Just One Cookbook's Japanese Curry

SEVENTH SHARE DATE
Saturday, February 29th (leap day!)

Want to join in? Have suggestions for the next cookalong? Chime in below!

Next few weeks:
March 7: gnocchi
March 14: gumbo
March 21: root vegetable adventures

Some dishes on the eventual to do list: mussels, french onion soup, tourtière, tacos, gnocchi, lobster bisque, _ wellington, paella, roast chicken, arancini, butter chicken, cinnamon rolls/ swirly doughs, risotto, pavlova, giant / baked beans, challah

signature.png
Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
SilverWind on
BucketmansarukunmrpakuUbikKetarCelloDoodmannKamiroBahamutZEROKing RiptorskippydumptruckPlatyQanamillonelyahavawafflesmageeXaquinIoloMr Fuzzbutt

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited February 23
    Week 1 (January 18, 2020) - Shakshuka
    Doodmann Fearghaill Jedoc jgeis lonelyahava Medium Dave Peen shalmelo skippydumptruck SilverWind SniperGuy Ubin Xaquin
    cP2Sb4o.jpg

Shakshuka is a Tunisian dish of poached eggs in a tomato sauce, popular across the Middle East. There are a lot of different variations so you can make it the way you like and add the ingredients you like. Instead of choosing just one recipe this time, I have a few you can choose to start off with:

I want a basic one with feta
    Smitten Kitchen's shakshuka recipe

I want to make something fancy (includes video)
    Yatam Ottolenghi's shakshuka recipe

I think Serious Eats has never let me down (includes video)
    Kenji Lopez-Alt's shakshuka recipe

I enjoy nerdy humour and preserved lemons (there's a video too if you have access to the My Shakshuka episode of Good Eats: The Return)
    Alton Brown's shakshuka recipe

Week 2 (January 25, 2020) - Jiaozi
    Doodmann Fearghaill Jedoc milski m!ttens Peen SilverWind SniperGuy Spuz Ubik Xaquin
    kSrbly4.jpg?1

Jiaozi are Chinese dumplings. They are prepared in several different ways, and there are many variants across East Asia. You can add whichever fillings you like, and also cook them a number of ways (boiled, steamed, panfried into guotei, aka potstickers). They're frequently eaten during Lunar New Year, which is this Saturday, January 27th (Year of the Rat).

I'm suggesting a range of recipes again, and of course feel free to modify these to your heart's content or use another one to your preference. One thing I really want to stress is that buying premade wrappers is a perfectly acceptable thing to do, and in fact probably encouraged. You should be able to find them in larger supermarkets, or definitely in Asian grocery stores. (You'll want the circular ones.)

I would like an instructional video with the recipe
    Adam Liaw's napa cabbage, Chinese chives, and pork filling boiled jiaozi with homemade wrappers

I think Serious Eats has never let me down
    Kenji's napa cabbage and pork filling guotie with homemade wrappers

I like Serious Eats but I want alternative fillings
    Bacon and scallions or Pork and Chinese chives

I want a vegetarian option
    Woks of Life's vegetarian filling jiaozi or East Meets Kitchen's seaweed and tofu filling guotie

I want to make wrappers but they need to be gluten free
    Snixy Kitchen's gluten free wrappers

Any of the above recipes can be prepared via boiling or panfrying (or steaming!). For boiling, you basically have to cook them until they float. For panfrying, you'll want to steam them a bit in the pan, with the lid on, followed by crisping it (I highly recommend making a crispy lattice using cornstarch).

Week 3 (February 1, 2020) - Chicken _____ Soup
    Bucketman Digeridoo Doodmann Enlong Jedoc jgeis lonelyahava m!ttens Pinfeldorf shalmelo SilverWind Xaquin
    d2iaqcuuxjg2.png

Hey, a lot of people are sick with something or other, and you know what's good for what's ailing ya? Chicken _____ Soup! At least, that's the common belief across several different cultures. You may already have a go-to chicken _____ soup recipe, but I highly encourage you to try a different variant of the soup than you're used to making. Some recipes have ingredients a bit harder to source depending on where everyone is based (guascas, tomatillos) so give each recipe a careful read before proceeding.

I want chicken soup with matzo
    Tori Avey's Matzo Ball Chicken Soup (with instructions for floating, sinking, and gluten free matzos)

I want chicken soup with potato
    Erica Dinho's Ajiaco Colombiano

I want chicken soup with hominy
    Matty Matheson's Pollo Verde (includes video)

I want chicken soup with couscous
    Ambitious Kitchen's Chicken Soup

I want chicken soup with spaetzle
    NastassjaCanCook's Chicken Spaetzle Soup (includes video, written recipe in description)

Most of these could be made vegetarian by skipping the chicken and using vegetable broth. There's a vegetarian matzo ball recipe here. Fearghaill has also linked to Bon Appetit's Vegan Broth recipe, which can be found here.

Week 4 (February 8, 2020) - Boeuf Bourguignon
    Bucketman Doodmann Hellbore Jedoc jgeis lonelyahava milski shalmelo SilverWind SniperGuy Taya Xaquin
    3fmsvr1n4m62.png

Boeuf bourguignon (beef bourguignon) is a dish of French origin, a beef stew braised in red wine and beef stock, usually flavoured with carrots, onions, garlic, and garnished with pearl onions, mushrooms, and bacon. The name apparently derives from the common use of red Burgundy wine instead of the region.

This was apparently the first recipe made by Julia Child on her show The French Chef! So, here are a range of recipes for everyone:

I want Julia Child's recipe!
    Julia Child's boeuf bourguignon (with some modifications by Cafe Delites). The original episode can be watched here

I think Serious Eats has never led me wrong
    Daniel Gritzer's Boeuf Bourguignon

I need it vegan/vegetarian
    Making Thyme for Health's Mushroom Bourguignon

I would like it alcohol free
    Eric Akis' suggestions on holding the wine bourguignon

Week 5 (February 15, 2020) - Crusty Bread / Baguettes
    Doodmann Hellbore Jedoc lonelyahava Mai-Kero milski SilverWind Taya Xaquin
    J9pwFrd.jpg?1

Continuing the French recipe theme, this week we're making baguettes (or, crusty bread)! A baguette is a long thin loaf of bread, supposedly so slender so that they could be prepared and baked quickly in time for breakfast. A law passed in France in 1993 (the Décret Pain) states that traditional baguettes have to be made on the premises they're sold and can only be made with four ingredients: wheat flour, water, salt and yeast. Bread goes well with a ton of dishes, and I figured that would be the best option as some of us may be otherwise locked in for the fancy dish (tm) that we are preparing for the week.

I want a classic recipe with instant yeast
    King Arthur Flour's Classic Baguettes

I want a sourdough-based recipe that gets into the extreme minutiae of baking
    The Perfect Loaf's Sourdough Baguette recipe

AAAH I need mine gluten free!
    Glutenfreegirl's gluten free baguette recipe is fantastic and I've made it a ton of times in the past

I would just like to make a loaf of good crusty bread
    King Arthur Flour's instant yeast no-knead crusty white bread or The Perfect Loaf's beginner sourdough bread

Week 6 (February 22, 2020) - Fish Stew
    Doodmann jgeis lonelyahava Peen SilverWind
    2hmho2qf0zxl.png

Fish stew! Seafood is sometimes a terrifying prospect for home cooks, but it's healthy and delicious and not actually all that daunting when it comes down to it. Basically every cuisine in the world has some sort of a soupy fish dish, ranging from the super straightforward to the complex. Here are some suggestions:

I want a French fish stew with saffron
    Epicurious' Bouillabaisse - Serious Eats also has a more 'traditional' one which can be kosher if you omit the optional shellfish

I want a Brazilian fish stew with coconut milk
    Simply Recipes' Moqueca - here's a 20 minute variation from Garden in the Kitchen

I want a hot and sour Thai fish soup
    Hot Thai Kitchen's Tom Yum

These are all rather complex, give me a simple fish stew
    BBC's Simple Fish Stew

There are so many recipes, including fish chowders and more. Try one out that you haven't before!

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    XaquinBucketmansarukunmrpakuKetarThe Zombie PenguinCelloshalmeloDoodmannIolo
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    Hell yeah. I made shakshuka for the first time in a dumb personal cooking challenge recently, and I'm interested to try and get a higher-quality poached egg in it this time.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    SilverWind
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I am IN!

Though I have my own recipe on account of the various diets in my household =)

SilverWindmrpaku
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmmm I may try this, my wife wouldn't touch it and I'm hesitant to do egg with tomato, but I'll give it a go

SilverWind
  • sarukunsarukun Mr. Bulldopps Get SchwiftyRegistered User regular
    We-eeeeellll my Saturday arrives before anyone else’s and hilariously I will be working a full 8 hour day (which almost never happens) because of a workshop...

but I will come home and do this recipe up!

Was the idea we all try cooking at the actual same time? If so I probably can wait until Sunday morning. I’m confident we can get the timing worked out.

SilverWind
    It'd probably be way too crazy to cook at the actual same time, given time zones and schedules--so aroundabouts the Saturday should be fine. Whatever works for you!

Also @Fearghaill had an awesome idea of sous viding the eggs I may try. Though for a first time through I may attempt one of the recipes as written

signature.png
    XaquinsarukunBucketmanFearghaill
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'll take any excuse to make shakshuka, so I'll be in on this. It'll be fun to try some new recipes!

XaquinSilverWind
  • UbikUbik another one of the law guys Registered User regular
    shakshuka was the first thing i made when i finally got a cast iron skillet and i fell in love with it. i haven't had it in a while so i'm going to try to join in

XaquinSilverWind
    We just bought two and a half dozen eggs and a bunch of canned tomato sauce so we’re definitely ready to go on this guy.

Let’s have a look at those recipes!

BucketmanXaquinSilverWind
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Tomatos and eggs is basically a staple from my childhood when my mom would make huevos rancheros. So, I may do a spin on that as it's got similar ingredients, just presented a bit differently.

Bonus - buying a new frying pan this weekend so I'll break it in with this!

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

mrpakuXaquinSilverWindsarukun
  • KetarKetar Ready to feel better about your own miserable lives?Registered User regular
    Hmm. I've actually been wanting to make shakshuka for a while but never have. Not sure if it will be feasible before I leave for PAX South on the 16th though. My wife is out of town right now, and my kids will never in a million years try it. If I can't manage it during the brief period between my wife getting home and me leaving, I'll try it the following week.

Nice choice.

SilverWindmrpakuBucketman
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Gonna be at South on the 18th as well, so I'm either gonna do this this weekend or belatedly the week after I think!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    XaquinSilverWind
  • FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    Hhhhheck yes I am in

Not just because I was probably going to make some this weekend anyway

I’ll make a goal to try at least two recipes by the 18th

XaquinSilverWind
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm going to pass on this week - Eggs and Tomato are NOT my jams (And honestly, i'm like a fussy eater in general), but i will def be keeping an eye onthings!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    SilverWindlonelyahava
    I'm leaning towards Kenji's recipe (or at least his suggestion of caramelizing some of the onions). Though I've got a bunch of preserved lemons in the fridge ready to go, so I might as well add those as well? I probably won't dabble in saffron

signature.png
    Xaquin
    I've done some lazy shakshukas before but I'm very excited to try a fancier version

I'm still trying to stick to my diet, so I'm gonna run these through MyFitnessPal's calorie calculator later and see which one is the winner for me, personally

I'll post the results (spoilered so folks can bypass them) in case anyone else is trying to work on some New Year's Resolutions

Steam
    SilverWindPsykoma
    SilverWind wrote: »
    I'm leaning towards Kenji's recipe (or at least his suggestion of caramelizing some of the onions). Though I've got a bunch of preserved lemons in the fridge ready to go, so I might as well add those as well? I probably won't dabble in saffron

oohhhh me too

.... how long do they last?

SilverWind
    Xaquin wrote: »
    SilverWind wrote: »

oohhhh me too

.... how long do they last?

Basically forever! I think I read a couple websites that suggest a year or two once you unseal it, but others say basically forever if refrigerated and I tend to agree with that (the high salt probably kills anything). Mine has definitely been in the fridge for a long long while as I only consistently whip it out for a tumeric chicken dish

signature.png
    Xaquin
    excellent

I've had mine for maybe 3 years

basically salt, meyer lemons, and a few cardamom pods

• PeenPeen tw1tch0rz occasionallyRegistered User regular
    Huh ok, I'll try this. My wife will eat it with me, at least.

Because I'm still dumb, are we cooking it by the 18th? Or as close to the 18th as possible? Because I'm probably going to try making it for breakfast tomorrow and you can't stop me!

XaquinSilverWind
    edited January 10
    So, rough calories/nutrition estimates:

Smitten Kitchen:
    If you're using pitas as a side, add them in as I removed them from the recipe, but a single serving out of four has 274 calories, 11.1g of carbs, 25.8g of fat, and 14.1g of protein.

Yatam's recipe:
    Approximately 503 calories per serving out of 4, 25.8g carbs, 39g fat, 16.4g protein. A lot of that is from olive oil, though, which comes to 960 calories (240 per serving), so if you can lessen that, the total might go down.

Serious Eats:
    Not counting the crusty bread or toppings, it comes to 230 calories (per serving of 4), 5.2g carbs, 21.8g fat, and 10.2g protein.

Alton Brown:

I uh, I'll come back to this one if I decide to do it. The math is a little more complicated with the harissa recipe being larger than the recipe's use size with no outlined serving size for that, but I'll presume it's a bit higher end on the calorie size unless shown otherwise. And you can't copy/paste the text of the recipe, which means I'd have to enter it all manually in MFP, and....eh....

I think of the three I'd likely go with the Serious Eats version, but I'm gonna look again at the recipe lists and decide, since they're all fairly close if you can reduce the olive oil somewhat in Yatam's version!

Cello on
    Steam
    Fearghaill
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Is it still a shakshuka if you scoop out the stuff in the pan, and wrap it up in a tortilla? :P

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Wow, thanks Cello! I'm calorie counting as well so that really does help :D

Peen wrote: »
    Huh ok, I'll try this. My wife will eat it with me, at least.

Because I'm still dumb, are we cooking it by the 18th? Or as close to the 18th as possible? Because I'm probably going to try making it for breakfast tomorrow and you can't stop me!

It's not going to be stringently enforced or anything! I think a bunch of people are cooking it / posting it around the 18th, but doing it earlier or later than that is totally fine too. You doing it earlier would give us a chance to learn lessons going into our dishes :lol:

signature.png
    Cello
  • FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    edited January 10
    Okay, this isn’t really shakshuka (yet), but I had leftover chili, roasted potatoes, and an extra sous vide poached egg from my breakfast this week

And y’all...

0I0DWXol.png

it good.

Fearghaill on
    DoodmannJedocXaquinCellomrpakusarukun
  • KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    I'm so down for cook club.

It's been a bit since I've made Shakshuka. Sometimes I get the egg right and other times not. Still turns out delicious

I've never managed to get the egg white set and the yolk runny in shakshuka

one or the other

Xaquin wrote: »
    I've never managed to get the egg white set and the yolk runny in shakshuka

one or the other

if you don't have a sous vide circulator, Alton Brown's recommended method is to boil the egg for 1 minute first and then put it in an ice bath for 30 seconds. The brief boil gives the white a head start.

Xaquin
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I may join in on this and take a crack at shakshuka, although I'll have to figure out how best to scale down the recipe for a single serving - my wife can't do poached eggs and it's obviously not a dish that's going to work for leftovers.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    The eggs won’t be as goopy and delicious, but aside from that I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t be good for leftovers, it’s a thick soup.

Xaquin
    I'm going to make this on Sunday as I won't be able to next weekend

I'll hold off on posting pictures though!

• UbikUbik another one of the law guys Registered User regular
    i make a whole batch but only poach 1 or 2 eggs if I'm the only one eating, then I'll poach new eggs when I reheat the base for leftovers

JedocSilverWind
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    okay I bought ingredients to make the serious eats version

I haven't made shakshuka before but I've wanted to, so this is a great excuse!

XaquinSilverWindCellosarukunDoodmann
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    The eggs won’t be as goopy and delicious, but aside from that I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t be good for leftovers, it’s a thick soup.

the other thing you can do is throw a bunch of crusty bread into a shallow dish dish, pour over the shakshuka and let it soak for a while, then bake it. Basically an egg pizza casserole.

XaquinJedocSilverWindCellosarukun
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    okay I bought ingredients to make the serious eats version

I haven't made shakshuka before but I've wanted to, so this is a great excuse!

it was delicious

49370191062_6400c34dba_z.jpg

I added a little feta and avocado as toppings at the end

XaquinCelloJedocmrpakulonelyahavaSilverWindsarukunThe Zombie PenguinBahamutZEROFrylockHolmes
    my shakshuka turned out great

though my yolks were not runny =(

skippydumptruck
  • m!ttensm!ttens Registered User regular
    I'm totally down for this but unfortunately won't be able to cook the inaugural dish as I'll be busy at a work conference all week. When are we planning to set the weekly inspiration? My wife and I usually go grocery shopping Saturday morning and plan our week Friday evening so I'd like to know before then so I can try to work it into our menu.

Xaquin
    Thanks to Bon Appetit I've discovered that another similar dish is called Eggs in Purgatory, which is cute
    m!ttens wrote: »
    I'm totally down for this but unfortunately won't be able to cook the inaugural dish as I'll be busy at a work conference all week. When are we planning to set the weekly inspiration? My wife and I usually go grocery shopping Saturday morning and plan our week Friday evening so I'd like to know before then so I can try to work it into our menu.

We could certainly get started on that! Does anyone have any suggestions?

signature.png
    My current thoughts include:

Thai Larb
    Dumplings/Potstickers (where people can buy or make the wrappers on their own)
    Tourtière
    Arancini
    Some sort of bread if people are up for it???
    Some sort of cassoulet?

I also am just happening to make this coffee cake that weekend too, if people want something sweet. I can vouch that it tastes delicious (never made it before, but had to snag the recipe from my coworker after I tasted it)

signature.png
    mrpaku