As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Brofist.

Sometimes you gotta get in there with a paper towel and clean out all the junk.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    tRp7pZ7.png?1
    OU8YYEH.png?1

Based off the Serious Eats recipe though I added more ginger, garlic and Shaoxing as well as a couple shakes of soy sauce. After all, [Chef John] I'm the flavor king of my fried dumpling [/Chef John]. I rolled the skins and Mrs Mittens filled and shaped them. We probably devoured about 30 and there are another 30-40 in the chest freezer waiting for a lazy cooking night!

m!ttens on
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Oh my god Jedoc the mention of venison and pork hickory sausage is making me drool with envy. And to answer your question... I usually have around 8-10 dumplings for a meal? It depends on the size of the dumplings though. With about 2 tablespoons worth of filling per dumpling, around 10 felt right for me.

And Xaquin, those GF wrappers look amazing!

Pinfeldorf what goes in lemongrass chili sauce? Is it something you make or does it come in a bottle? I'm beginning to think I should try dumplings with more than just soy sauce+rice vinegar+sesame oil

I um, conscripted my family into dumpling labour and we made around 70 dumplings

nrnliysikhrp.png

nsd6ssc7uemq.png
    keonpy4dy3pp.png

cacoqdl0lvgm.png

A two wrapper roller/two filling and pleating assembly line was a bit lopsided, but resulted in a lot of hilarity (my mom laughed at how I measured doughballs by weight and cookie cuttered them; my sister scoffed at the lopsided wrappers that my mom freehanded; much squabbling happened between all of us of the best pleat to use, and Wyborn quietly made four very adorable round wonton looking ones which are not pictured above

It's really labour intensive with less than four people (I think five may be ideal, with three on wrapper duty) but it makes for a rollicking good time. We made about a third into guotie, a third into boiled dumplings, and a final third was frozen and given to my sister to take to her boyfriend who couldn't be with us today

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The chili lemongrass is in a jar at my local Asian market. A little bit goes a long way and it spoils pretty quick, though.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    The little crown-shaped ones are very fun-looking (and fun to make) but their shape is bad for potstickers, on reflection

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Oh my gosh Silverwind, the CRUST on those!!

Thank you! Getting instructions from my mom is often super vague and unspecific, so I had to note things down as we cooked. Here's what I jotted down for future reference

Fill a pitcher with water. Heat oil in a nonstick pan on high heat. After oil heats, add dumplings to pan in circular manner leaving gaps in between. Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until bottoms of dumplings are slightly golden. Add in water to about mid-dumpling height, along with a splash of rice vinegar, then immediately cover pan with lid. Let steam until water is mostly evaporated; repeat another pour of water if dumplings are thick. As the streaming occurs, stir 1 tablespoon cornstarch in 1.5 tablespoons of cold water (this is a loose guesstimate). When water in pan has mostly evaporated, pour slurry into all the cracks between dumplings. Let cook without cover until cornstarch mixture turns into golden brown lattice. Invert onto a plate.

signature.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Can you describe the experience of pouring water into a pan of hot oil? My lizard brain is telling me that doing this will cause oil to splatter all over my kitchen and catch fire, so I'd like to be prepared for the reality before I try it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Can you describe the experience of pouring water into a pan of hot oil? My lizard brain is telling me that doing this will cause oil to splatter all over my kitchen and catch fire, so I'd like to be prepared for the reality before I try it.

depends on the amount of oil, really

a thin layer of oil on the bottom of the pan will absolutely spit a little if you drip water in, but it's not enough to really splatter. You would need enough oil for the water to boil/vaporize while underneath the oil creating air bubbles which are what propel the oil out of the pan. If you just have enough oil to brown the bottom of the dumplings/keep them from sticking to the pan, then a brief moment of angry little spitting before the situation becomes water with a bit of oil in it (which is fine) rather than hot oil with a bit of water in it (which is not)

Fearghaill wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »

depends on the amount of oil, really

a thin layer of oil on the bottom of the pan will absolutely spit a little if you drip water in, but it's not enough to really splatter. You would need enough oil for the water to boil/vaporize while underneath the oil creating air bubbles which are what propel the oil out of the pan. If you just have enough oil to brown the bottom of the dumplings/keep them from sticking to the pan, then a brief moment of angry little spitting before the situation becomes water with a bit of oil in it (which is fine) rather than hot oil with a bit of water in it (which is not)

Yes--you don't add too much oil to start, and most of it is absorbed by the dumplings before you pour the water in. We just got a loudish hiss and steam but actually I'd attribute it more to pouring water on a hot pan. There wasn't any splattering pops that I associate with accidentally leaving water droplets in a pan I'm heating with oil

signature.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    DUMPLINGS! Full album: https://imgur.com/a/HhF6ihg

A selection:
    QrhWMsb.jpg?1
    Love that knife. We found an asian market and got the real good fatty pork and a bunch of other stuff like that Shao Xing cooking wine and sesame oil and dumpling dipping sauce. It was very fun!

rW67EnA.jpg?1
    Filling! Pork, cabbage, chives, some bacon, garlic, liquids, etc.

hNYbNus.jpg?1
    Dumplings! These were a lot of fun to make and we accidentally made SO MANY. SO SO MANY.

Finished product:

FvklCMP.jpg?1

They aren't perfect, but they are delicious.

wFFjtN8.jpg?1

We had never made these before and it was a ton of fun and really good! And exploring the asian market was super fun. I got jaffa cakes!

Delish! And I'm glad you got to explore your local Asian market. I really should try and do that with a Latin one this week (we don't have one immediately close by though, so it may be a trip)

Week three's chicken _____ soup is posted on the first page! I look forward to seeing what kind of starchy addition everyone goes with

signature.png
    Oh man I love chicken helicopter soup!

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    mmmmm mmmmm

chicken chili soup

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Oh man I love chicken helicopter soup!

Helicopters aren't starchy!

...I mean I suppose they could be

signature.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I did the thing! Went with premade wrappers, they were square so I went for an improvised square version of the triangle fold from the video posted a couple pages back, I figured that would give nice flat bottoms to brown, and I was right!

dk5EnQLl.png

I also... created a monstrosity. See, I tried to make the filling for the first batch as properly as I good. Ground pork, cabbage, green onion, seasonings. It was very good.

But then I had a bunch of leftover wrappers, and an understanding of techniques to use them to contain fillings

any fillings I wanted.
    Buffalo chicken pan fried dumplings are real tasty, y'all
    DZtaGq0l.png

Chicken trigonometry soup is a motherfucker to make, and then 98 percent of people don’t eat it, why do we have this in schools.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Dumps achieved! We went with shrimp, because that's what my kids wanted, and otherwise it was pretty traditional (cabbage, scallion, seasoning) and they came out good! We cooked them in a pan (down in oil, brown bottom, toss water in and lid on to steam for 3 minutes) because that's my favorite way to cook dumplings and these were delicious. I'd tweak the seasoning a little (less five spice) and the filling ended up pretty wet so I have a feeling I could have drained the cabbage somehow after I blitzed it but those are pretty minor quibbles. My kids' and my folding technique could use some work, as you see in the before, but cooked they looked fine.
    nVHK6V3l.jpg
    sznHNVyl.jpg
    J3gwtxGl.jpg

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    made the dumplings, used the vegetarian recipe and pre-made wrappers - no photos this time because they fell apart in the cooking process so it was more like a stir fry in a bowl

but they taste good and i have a ton extra in the freezer so i'll get to try again

i think my mistake was not letting them brown enough first and also adding too much water so they over-steamed and started to lose structural integrity. also they stuck to the cast iron pan so i'll try non-stick next time

i also got to explore my local asian market and it was crazy how much produce variety they have. even stuff like potatoes and cabbage, they have so much more varieties than the other supermarket

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

I had chicken soup this week at a Taiwanese restaurant in Chia-Yi that was so fucking clean and delicious, I don’t have words to describe it. The chicken just sloughed right off the bone but was still chewy and tasty as fuck, I want to make it but I have zero idea how.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Full dumpling album!

I made the vegetarian dumplings per the recipe. Selected pictures of the cooking process:
    oXSHL0Lh.jpg

The ingredients haul! Surprisingly, I was able to use almost all of the perishables up completely except that I overbought on carrots.

5DfRQhJ.jpg

My lovely assistant, Ruston!

lqJPsHJh.jpg

All the filling ingredients chopped up/shredded! I hand chopped the mushrooms and green onion, bought pre-chopped sweet onion, shredded the carrots with a shredder, and ripped up the spinach then gave it a couple pulses in a blender.

xwxWPTMh.jpg

The stir fry of veggies after adding the spinach and carrots on top! Very delicious even at this stage. Sesame oil is no joke.

S65ZpCMh.jpg

Almost all the dumplings as wrapped. Yes, they are asymmetrical, large, and wrapped ugly. I leaned towards extreme caution about how well they'd hold together.

And the final result:

GqpdlyQh.jpg

Cross section:

rtdoz08h.jpg

I added a bit too much oil to the batch I photographed, so they look a bit greasy, but they turned out delicious! Sauce was just low sodium soy sauce with a bit of MSG and sugar dissolved in it.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I was just thinking about how I wanted to try my hand at perogies some day.

Had just watched that episode of Good Eats.

Then I come into this thread and

blargh I need a pasta roller.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Dumplings didn't happen because time is a harsh mistress. However soup is happening, possibly tonight even. We'll see!

That buffalo chicken dumpling looks gorgeous. And shrimp! Oh man I really should do shrimp next time. Shrimp wonton is one of my most favourite things ever

I'm also glad there were a fair number of people who did the veg filling. Those that did: how did it taste?

I tried looking for a few veg "chicken" _ soup recipes but didn't find any with many reviews - most just seem to sub in chickpeas or chick'n

signature.png
    Hmm weird question for those that might know. Usually when I make soup I use a stock, typically store bought. I've never used bone broth, is it a good substitute?

sarukun wrote: »
    Chicken trigonometry soup is a motherfucker to make, and then 98 percent of people don’t eat it, why do we have this in schools.

I can't believe you'd go off on such a wild tangent about this. It's as if you didn't see that all the sines were pointing toward it being delicious! You'd eat the whole thing in 10 secents!

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hmm weird question for those that might know. Usually when I make soup I use a stock, typically store bought. I've never used bone broth, is it a good substitute?

great news, bone broth is stock

Shorty on
    But is it good?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    But is it good?

If it's made well, sure!

edited January 2020
    But is it good?

It is! About as good as stock :lol:

I was really confused by the wellness messaging around it all. I suspect vendors will sell "bone broth" at more expensive prices compared to stock? Either way, both will be good for you

I'm going to try to improve my stock this time. I usually add a ton of water and it doesn't jelly up as good as I'd like. Serious Eats adds extra gelatin which I should look into

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/best-rich-easy-white-chicken-stock-recipe.html

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    I think I am going to kludge together a soup recipe I'm calling Chicken With Forty Cloves of Garlic and Also Some Dumplings.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    So, garlic dumpling soup with maybe a chicken breast?

I'm gonna make the James Beard recipe using boneless chicken thighs, and at the end I'm going to shred them, add in enough broth to make it soup, and simmer in some cheap canned biscuit dumplings.

If I've done my math correctly, this should be the most comforting comfort food there is.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I'm doing instant pot. Store bought stuff, minced garlic, shredded carrots, maybe a bit of ginger, some bay leaves with broth and some white meat chicken breast in a pot with SOME water and maybe even an extra bullon cube for added flavor.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Oh no, I just went through the last of my home made chicken stock! And my bag of bones hasn't been refilled enough to make a new batch. Time to go buy a whole chicken and use dem bones!

Heh, we're doing a roast chicken later this week just to have the bones to make stock :D

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I feel bad that I let myself skip dumpling week, gonna go hard on some chicken soup.

m!ttens wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Oh no, I just went through the last of my home made chicken stock! And my bag of bones hasn't been refilled enough to make a new batch. Time to go buy a whole chicken and use dem bones!

Heh, we're doing a roast chicken later this week just to have the bones to make stock :D

same, when I told my wife what this week's dish was she immediately volunteered to roast a chicken for it

• SpuzSpuz Registered User regular
    Submitted for your approval, I decided to go a different direction for the dumplings & made some bao:
    e776w6zfaf4t.jpg
    327w8rtsg2ym.jpg

Since Saturday was also Burns Night, these were my attempt at a Scottish-Chinese fusion. The filling was black pudding mixed with diced ginger & plums. Even the people who had sworn off black pudding after previous experiences really liked them, so I consider that a success.

steam_sig.png
    That is so cool! And it looks delicious!

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I made chicken beef soup! Potatoes, broccoli, carrots, a 2.4lb chuck roast (on the bottom of all the vegetables and shit), 6 cloves of garlic, some beef broth and a whole bottle of General Tso's sauce.

I have made General Tso's Beef Stew. It's fuckin' sweet and spicy comfort food.
    l7wjb406iw06.png