As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    There are some who say that a pile of ingredients that taste good is the only dish there is.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    There are some who say that a pile of ingredients that taste good is the only dish there is.

I dunno, one time an old roommate of mine got really stoned and was hungry and put all of the ingredients in the house into a meal.

White rice, ranch, mustard, soy sauce, peanut butter, ketchup, mayonnaise and tabasco.

And, somehow, that still wasn't as bad as the time we mixed blue tequila with Mountain Dew.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so my bread machine comes with a recipe for sweet dough for cinnamon rolls

Which sounds much easier to me while working and momming.

I'll have to give that a go later this week.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

I dunno, one time an old roommate of mine got really stoned and was hungry and put all of the ingredients in the house into a meal.

White rice, ranch, mustard, soy sauce, peanut butter, ketchup, mayonnaise and tabasco.

And, somehow, that still wasn't as bad as the time we mixed blue tequila with Mountain Dew.

I said ingredients, not bullshit.

• Options
    Those are all ingredients, sir. I throw my condiment glove on the ground at your feet!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I had a meal break in uni that was microwave cooked pasta, butter, mustard, and Kraft parmesan cheese.

It was amazing.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    During finals week of senior year, one of my friends was cooking "poverty sandwiches", where he toasted two slices of white bread and put a third, untoasted slice in between them as the filling.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I used to make those. Of course, times were really hard, so I generally had them open-faced.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Those are all ingredients, sir. I throw my condiment glove on the ground at your feet!

Sweet, free condiment glove.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I'll take a dozen

no wait

make it 3 dozen. 1 dozen for me and 2 additional dozens for me.

What I'm saying is please mail me 5 dozen of those

Xaquin on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I think my proudest moment was Macgyvering a side dish at my father in law's house by finding a couple cans of green beans, a pack of gluten free crackers, a ranch chip dip, and... I can't recall all the other ingredients, but it became a green bean casserole

Doodmann you are really persuading to make cinnamon buns instead of rugelach :lol: MMmm I keep wanting to smell my screen.

Also great job, milski! <3

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Expert Cooking Protip: if you decide to put your freshly-washed cast iron pan into the preheating oven to help it dry faster, don't forget you did that like thirty seconds after moving it from the oven to the stovetop.

...or so I've read.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Expert Cooking Protip: if you decide to put your freshly-washed cast iron pan into the preheating oven to help it dry faster, don't forget you did that like thirty seconds after moving it from the oven to the stovetop.

...or so I've read.

The burn scar on my palm that is suspiciously shaped like a lodge deep skillet handle agrees with you.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Cooking club, you’re the only good thing in this world right now. I like cinnamon buns very much, but I would have never thought to make them at home.

They looked so cute in the pan before they were baked.
    niIV2y4.jpg

They looked a little obscene after they came out of the oven.
    OoV4n1O.jpg

They are delicious. Thank you cooking club!
    C1Fb0OG.jpg
    jGvZC9L.jpg

• Options
    Taya, those look incredible! Great job! <3

signature.png
  • Options
    #nofilter cinnamon rolls are the best cinnamon rolls.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I need to find my small batch baking book again.

I just don't have the freezer space to freeze the dough, and we can't take any to neighbors due to the lockdown. And I'm the only one in the house that will eat these.

• Options
    I need to find my small batch baking book again.

I just don't have the freezer space to freeze the dough, and we can't take any to neighbors due to the lockdown. And I'm the only one in the house that will eat these.

The secret to cinnamon rolls is if they accidentally go stale, you just need some milk and eggs to recycle them into bread pudding.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    the secret to cinnamon rolls is to give them all to me

• Options
    Rugelach! These were with cream cheese. They were a bit denser than I wanted--I had ones in a restaurant ones which were soft, chewy, pillowy incrediblenesses. Next time I'll try it with sour cream instead.

They were still veeeery good though, especially with coffee

r5kcjhgackaa.png

By the way, is _ wellington an OK theme for this week? There are vegetable/mushroom versions so people don't have to buy a giant hunk of meat. I'm totally up for doing something else if it's an easier purchase in these COVID times (just chime in!)

signature.png
  • Options
    b4on4fj9u73e.png

Croissants: technically spiraled dough.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I'm on my way with a jar of Nutella.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    They definitely are!

Oh, my rugelach was 50/50 nutella and dark chocolate filling. I may change the variables next time

Edit: since everyone on the internet is going crazy for sourdough starters, we cooould have it be a make your own starter/bake with starter week too

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    how about risotto or rice dishes this week? (she says as she needs to get some frozen seafood out of the freezer to make room for freezing cinnamon roll dough)

like risotto, biryani, congee, rice pudding kind of things?

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I couldn't make spirally bread this weekend; I've been on nights and didn't have the ingredients or baking knowledge to attempt anything that precise while tired.

Wait. What's that? I'm getting a last second cooking transmission?

Is it? Could it be?
    txZigaHh.jpg

It's Shakshuka! Ten weeks delayed, but I had all the ingredients and figured it would turn out pretty well, and it did! Eggs didn't poach perfectly, but it's delicious.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    how about risotto or rice dishes this week? (she says as she needs to get some frozen seafood out of the freezer to make room for freezing cinnamon roll dough)

like risotto, biryani, congee, rice pudding kind of things?

Let's do risotto! Will find a few suggested recipes this evening

signature.png
  • Options
    Hot Wet Rice!

I can't bake for crap, but my GF sure can! She made gluten free cinnamon rolls and they are to kill for!

h6m1wvajthbu.jpg

• Options
    SilverWind wrote: »

By the way, is _ wellington an OK theme for this week? There are vegetable/mushroom versions so people don't have to buy a giant hunk of meat. I'm totally up for doing something else if it's an easier purchase in these COVID times (just chime in!)

I thought next weekend was roast chicken?

I like to ART
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've been out these past few weeks as life stuff got in the way but I fully support all of your delicious endeavors and will get back in the club soon!

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Doodmann wrote: »
    SilverWind wrote: »

I thought next weekend was roast chicken?

Ach, sorry, got mixed up there :P It was wellington originally until I pushed it back due to covid. But funnily enough there is ALSO a chicken shortage where I'm at, for some reason

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    sweet roll dough is in the bread machine, mixing.

I am freaking out about it though because my bread machine is a finicky little bitch at the best of times. But work is kind of slowing down a bit and becoming more mangeable.

which means I can take little breaks here and there and do things with the kid. which keeps her from losing her mind.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    We're trying to space out our grocery excursions to once every other week at this point, so for as long as we're on isolation mode I doubt I'll be able to work much in time with the club unless I luck into already having ingredients on hand. Still enjoying watching what y'all are making in the meantime, though.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    I've decided to go with a dark greens/herbs/mushroom topping on my risotto and a side of fried chicken since I already bought the chicken.

I just wish the timing was better because this would be a perfect opportunity to explore the mushroom guy at my local farmers market.

I like to ART
  • Options
    they're still too hot to try, but they're at least done?

that was harder than I thought, the dough was much much stickier than I anticipated it being. but it wasn't terrible. and I should have not made the butter/cinnamon/sugar into a paste, but should have brushed and sprinkled instead.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Ah! Sorry about the inconvenience Doodmann. I won't make any last minute swaps in the future. D:

Do you want to keep next week roast chicken still, or switch it out?

That looks ooey gooey great, Ahava! Also I think I ran into the spreading difficulty last time I made buns too-- definitely sprinkling next time instead for me too

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    OK, updated the OP and linked everyone's photo posts, including milski's shakshuka. <3 Next week's recipe is pending confirmation - please assess the next few weeks as well for COVID-ability, and feel free to suggest additional ones / alternatives

signature.png
  • Options
    I think we'll be revisiting shakshuka again soon. I'm running out of dinner ideas and getting frustrated

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    310kfqkqyjjg.jpg

Okay this is more... ringed? Circled? Dough than spiralled, but I made some poppyseed bagels!

• Options
    whoops, I had already taken a chicken out, so maybe I'll just save the pictures and do hot wet rice next week!

also, your recipes need to include the most iconic risotto video of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yr_etbfZtQ