The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 31: Butter Chicken / Murg Makhani)

1202122232426»

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited July 31
    Oooh, fascinating! And the braid looks lovely. What recipe did you use?

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
    SilverWindBucketman
    My dough is going through the first proof right now

How many braid strands should I make? :D

signature.png
  • milskimilski UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ Registered User regular
    CHALLAH! HEAD CHALLAH!

Also proofing now. Instant yeast wasn't too bubbly when I mixed it, but like... it's instant yeast, it should be fine.

You can't write me off like that! You're just a voice, pal! You don't know a DAMN THING ABOUT RACING!!
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i want to make Challah. it's a therapy for me.

but i also just bought a loaf of bread yesterday.

The Tori Avey recipe was enough to make two medium loaves, so I did three strands AND six

And because I forgot how to braid the six near the end, I broke it off and made a small roll with the remaining too

signature.png
    m5yUsEQh.jpg

CHALLAH! HEAD CHALLAH!

You can't write me off like that! You're just a voice, pal! You don't know a DAMN THING ABOUT RACING!!
    IoloDoodmannJedocSilverWindBucketman
    edited August 3
    Three braid, six braid, roll (which was a three braid kinda tucked into itself)

Specific comments about the Tori Avey recipe: definitely going to use my stand mixer to knead next time, at least for a bit, whuff

Will probably look up a different recipe that actually gives the weight of the the flour (or at least a more specific cup amount)

a5xso5yxleuy.png

j5oagk19zl1c.png

0od9f0pez0zb.png

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    milskiIololonelyahavaKetarDoodmannBucketmantynic
    Omurice recipes are up

I expect great designs on those omelettes!!!

signature.png
    sarukunBucketman
  • JedocJedoc Once to start a new life and once just to start a fireRegistered User regular
    Request to add shepherd's pie to the list of someday dishes. @webguy20 made a rad-looking shelf-stable lentil shepherd's pie over in the cooking thread, and it made me think that there are a bunch of rad variations we could try.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    sarukunSilverWindBucketman
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Here's the recipe, and PDF linked to this post. Designed for prepping purposes. Everything is dry or canned and nothing has a best by of less than a year. It's a meal that you put in a box and set aside for a rainy day. Roughly 400 calories per serving, and serves 8, and by default is Vegan.
    yiqqpdnpdbnp.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    JedocIolo
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    The next round is butter chicken!
    Yyyyyyyaaaaay!

Gonna try that gooey, runny, cut it open where it’s weirdly sexual omuraisu.

SilverWindDoodmann
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I wanna add pasta to the list. But I realize that it might not be that accessible of a thing.

Kugel would be another one to add. And tzimmes, as it's getting closer to Rosh Hashannah.

JedocSilverWind
    Gonna add all of those suggestions! Including the pasta.

...not just because I got a pasta maker, there's got to be some that are rather doable by hand/without the rollers, and I'll find em

signature.png
    lonelyahavasarukun
    edited August 6
    I have no idea how to make a french omelet...or even the weirdly more straightforward tornado version.

So last night I had eggs on rice:

F4TESjul.jpg

Doodmann on
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
    IoloBucketmanSilverWindsarukun
    The rice blob...

hd6RtjSh.jpg

The egg...

mhPZEAbh.jpg

The finished product!

2RjWzPgh.jpg

Very tasty, and a huge amount of food! My only regret is not having tofu to give it a little more weight, and marring the crosshatching with the cap of the mayo I was squirting :redface:

BucketmanJedocSilverWindlonelyahavasarukunIolo
    Also I just figured out that I am a moron, because I made two cups of dry rice for this (rice cooker cups, granted), and never thought about the fact cooked rice is about triple the volume. So this is probably 2x as much rice as is necessary for the dish...

SilverWindDoodmann
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I have tried and failed several times to make this but tomorrow I try again!

SilverWind
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I have tried and failed several times to make this but tomorrow I try again!

The Serious Eats recipe is super easy, it basically is just fried rice and then the simplest scrambled eggs thing. If you're going for the full omlette, godspeed, that sounds super tough

Bucketman
  • JedocJedoc Once to start a new life and once just to start a fireRegistered User regular
    edited August 9
    Omurice!
    r8m039w8cr9q.png
    I went with Maangchi's recipe. Lots more vegetables than I expected, once I got them all chopped up.
    wrvj51xmalp1.png
    I ended up cramming half of it into a two-cup bowl, which is still about twice the size as one of my usual packed lunches.
    drvscui1bpc8.png
    I also made griddle toast, completely ignoring the fact that this dish is half carbs to begin with. Oh, well. I needed the tips to complete my masterpiece, Surprised Omelette Pig On Plate
    jrb2j5ta7mof.png
    (Jedoc, 2020, Mixed Media)

Tasty! The green chiles at the bottom give it a nice little kick, and the leftover andouille sausage along with the bell peppers, onion, and garlic give it all a neat Cajun fusion sort of vibe. Big portion, though. I think I'll use my one-cup bowl to mold the leftovers and probably just dump some scrambled eggs on top.

Also, I've never seen "chunks" of cheddar cheese used as an ingredient before. Tearing hunks out of a neat block with my thumbs was a pleasingly primal activity, strongly recommend.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
    webguy20KetarSilverWindlonelyahavasarukunIolomilskiBucketman
    edited August 9
    Jedoc that is hands down my favourite design <3

38vsj1tc627p.png

abuk8ofrp0rc.png

I made fancypants omurice but not the demi-glace as my idea of fun is not a billion hours of reducing beef stock. Omelette was hard to fold but actually didn't brown (as I was worrying it would). It cut OK. Brown sauce is a mixture of stock, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and bbq sauce. The spicy tomato ketchup is a mixture of Sriracha sauce and ketchup.

I have enough leftover fried rice to attempt an actual design tomorrow, I think. :D

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    JedocKetarlonelyahavaDoodmannsarukunBucketmanpooka
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I made cheater version. I didn't want to make my own fried rice, so we got some Chinese over the weekend and I got extra chicken fried rice. I "woke it up" by sauteing some garlic and ginger and then adding the rice and a little soy sauce in the pan, double fried rice. Tastes great!

The demi glace I cheated as well. I found a packet of it in the store that you just need to heat and add a few table spoons of water to.

The eggs...didn't fold well at all. But they are still that level of creamy and taste great.

Overall it looks bad but tastes great.

https://imgur.com/a/osEjnsF

DoodmannIoloSilverWindsarukun
    Can't wait to do butter chicken. Or, well, butter tofu, since I'm mostly pescatarian/vegetarian

DoodmannBucketman
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Can't wait to do butter chicken. Or, well, butter tofu, since I'm mostly pescatarian/vegetarian

How are pescatarians on terrestrial insects as a food source?

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

How are pescatarians on terrestrial insects as a food source?

I'd eat an insect just to see how it was tbh, I'm pragmatic about my diet (e.g. I will wind up having meat once or twice a year for special occasions or due to an inability to get any other food)

Bucketman
    edited August 12
    I think I hit the character limit on the week summaries, so the new update message will go here. :lol: Unfortunately, I think I lost the brunt of what I wrote on Omurice, but that's OK!

Week 29 (August 1, 2020) - Challah
    Doodmann milski SilverWind
    xyffi57bdq19.png
    Challah is a bread in Jewish cuisine usually eaten on special occasions such as Shabbat (the Sabbath) and major holidays. The word means loaf or cake in Biblical Hebrew, and classically was the portion of dough that had to be set aside as an offering.

The most well known variation of challah is braided, though there is also a variation that is not. And while raisins, honey, poppy, and sesame seeds are sometimes added and sometiems not, there is usually an egg wash that ensures the loaf bakes nice and brown in the oven.

Here are some suggested challah recipes:

I want challah of the Ashkenazi tradition
    Tori Avey's Challah Bread

I want challah of the Sephardic tradition
    Julia Moskin's Sephardic Challah with Whole Spices

I want an apple and honey challah (round, typically eaten for Rosh Hashanah)
    Smitten Kitchen's Apple and Honey Challah

I want a vegan/eggless challah, which is a thing
    The Spruce Eats' Maple-Glazed Vegan Water Challah

I want... a sourdough challah?
    The Gingered Whisk's Sourdough Challah, which is a variation of Maggie Glezer's, found here

Week 30 (August 8, 2020) - Omurice
    Bucketman Doodmann Jedoc milski SilverWind
    wur957zenkqb.png

Omurice is officially where I ran into the character/text limits on the PA forum, so I've lost my original writeup. In summary, I recall mentioning that omurice is yoshoku (Western-influenced Japanese cuisine) that has gainsed popularity across a lot of Asia. It is a childhood classic, popular perhaps in part due to the ketchup used in the recipe, which is often used to write or draw a neat design on top of the omelette.

Recipes featured included:

A classic omurice recipe
    Just One Cookbook's Omurice

Just lay the egg on top, none of that fancy rolling
    Serious Eats' Omurice

A Kichi-Kichi (think super trendy video of Kyoto chef slicing the omelette open) omurice
    Omurice by Shintaro Okuda

A omurice recipe featuring cheese
    Maangchi's Omeu-raiseu

Latest viral omurice trend
    Cookat's Tornado Omurice

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    BucketmanDoodmannsarukunIolo
    Butter chicken recipes are up! Again, I feel like Indian food is like one major cuisine I have virtually no experience with, so if you have alternative recommended recipes, please suggest them here. Also milski I found a good veg recipe that included the use of jackfruit; if that's hard to find, you're right, tofu (and I think cauliflower?) are two other common substitutions. The main recipes I could find reccing those two ingredients were vegan though

Regarding eating insects... Wyborn is very pro eating bugs so I have sampled some, and it was pretty cool. He has also gone to a very pricey tasting menu (which I was all for, but not at the price point provided. But... I'm not ready to have that be a week's theme yet. :lol:

signature.png
    Bucketman
    edited August 12
    I am NOT going to make the Matty Matherson version, because I'm pretty sure I used that recipe for our curry week.

It's a very good recipe.

Doodmann on
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
    SilverWindBucketman
    I finally got around to making Challah!

JedocmilskiSilverWindDoodmannBucketmanIolo
    Delicious! I should totally add raisins (and cinnamon) next time

signature.png
    edited August 14
    Butter Chicken!

Lsjyx04l.jpg

So rich!
    I used coconut oil instead of ghee and it seemed to work pretty similarly.
    Next time I would add some veggies to fill out the sauce.
    Also home made naan is worth the time bc it's very quick.

Doodmann on
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
    sarukunJedocSilverWindIololonelyahava
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    Usually when I make a curry or butter chicken, I do peas and carrots in the rice, and then the curry gravy with the chicken on top of the rice. You could also do corn if that's your thing, it adds a really nice texture.

Doodmann
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Butter Chicken!

Lsjyx04l.jpg

So rich!
    I used coconut oil instead of ghee and it seemed to work pretty similarly.
    Next time I would add some veggies to fill out the sauce.
    Also home made naan is worth the time bc it's very quick.

What naan recipe do you use? I still haven't settled on one.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I just googled home made naan, I don't even remember which one I used :razz:

Torchlight | Steam | ART