As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I started my pho last night, going for a 20 hour simmer. I added the short ribs this morning to slow cook today.

Essentially doing a size: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/yw75w7/homemade-pho-recipe

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    okay, I'm going to be late on the Pho one because my kitchen is currently packed to move into a new apartment

but that apartment is within 10 minutes walking distance of 2 grocery stores, a farmer's market, and a big asian grocery so you had better believe I'm making this once I'm in and settled.

• Options
    I miss being near a big asian grocery store. I went to an Hmart yesterday and got lost for like an hour+

I like to ART
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I miss being near a big asian grocery store. I went to an Hmart yesterday and got lost for like an hour+

yeah this place is the supplier for most if not all of the asian restaurants in town... and they are 210m from my front door. :cool:

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    My local Asian market is almost the size of my local Costco. They have turtles there. Part of me is tempted to try turtle? But I wouldn't even know where to begin, since they sell the whole turtle in the package.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Once again, I take pictures when I make the food and forget to upload them. Butter Tofu!

BcH7RXUh.jpg

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    20 hours later...Pho!

xkAA4Ra.jpg

More photos: https://imgur.com/a/mwuuJdF

I like to ART
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    doodmann, that shimmer

• Options
    Sadly, much like ramen, I think pho falls in the catagory of things that are best left to professionals.

I was good...but not as good as the pho spot that is like 3 blocks away from me.

I like to ART
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I'm curious how it'll turn out! I also have a pho place very close nearby that is family run and is fricking fantastic.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    My mom recoiled at the amount of meat required, but I won her over with the broth

0eyfg5v394qr.png

qo3ll11i3k4e.png

signature.png
  • Options
    I'd like to suggest, in the dog days of summer, a caesar salad. It's an interesting process to create from scratch.

I like to ART
  • Options
    I can add it in line (Sept 26) or perhaps we can slot it in the week of Sept 5 (currently three sister's soup) and bump the rest down? Has anyone bought that far in advance yet? :)

signature.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Forgetting what we're cooking until the morning I make my grocery list is half the fun of the thread, personally speaking.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Alrighty, bumped it in! Kept tzimmes for the week of Sept 19th for Rosh Hashannah though :D

signature.png
  • Options
    Ratatouille recipes are up!

Researching the recipe origins is always really fun. I don't know how many of you read it, but I learn something each time. :lol:

signature.png
  • Options
    I went full ham and did the movie version...and then my brother suggested plopping a ball of mozzarella on it. Which was fantastic.

Y49e8lkl.jpg23GhZNYl.jpg

Recipe: https://tasty.co/recipe/ratatouille

I like to ART
  • Options
    So pretty!!!

signature.png
  • Options
    q0aqejxae23c.png

n7hw426uyaw4.png

I ended up going with the Tasty recipe too because forget about peeling the skins off of tomatoes, WTF

Didn't cook the basil topping though, only the garlic :)

signature.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I just can't seem to get the ingredients at any good prices right now. Maybe in like four months.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Aww butts I wasn't paying attention because I haven't had forumcrafting time

I could 100% have done a ratatouille

Instead I made a mediocre sri lankan curry

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »
    q0aqejxae23c.png

n7hw426uyaw4.png

I ended up going with the Tasty recipe too because forget about peeling the skins off of tomatoes, WTF

Didn't cook the basil topping though, only the garlic :)

Did you start from the inside and work out?

I like to ART
  • Options
    Nope, I did outside - in! Comparing our two dishes I think we angled them differently? I tucked the inner layer under the outer ones. Both look nice!

signature.png
  • Options
    That seems way harder to do? It looks great though.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Apologies for the delay; caesar salad recipes are up.

signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I am proactive boy and made salad last night to go with steak and potatoes for a very very american meal.
    I also ripped up some old bread and made croutons, which is 100% recommended. Stop buying box croutons!

But I think my phone killed itself last night and it's looking like the cloud backup on the photos didn't go through.

I did this recipe: https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/caesar-dressing-recipe/

I think I needed to add more lemon juice? And it definitely needs more black pepper than suggested.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I have salad stuff but not Cesar Salad stuff...hmmm

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I have salad stuff but not Cesar Salad stuff...hmmm

Just have all your friends stab your salad in the back.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yessssssss

It's spring! Salad is ready to go.

I well definitely do this on the weekend.

So much salad.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I did the thing:
    o6ow55mj18n1.jpeg

Followed the Serious Eats recipe pretty much exactly aside from tearing the lettuce into smaller pieces

Also pictured: sous vide and seared steak, and Chef John’s State Fair Lemonade

Not pictured: the whiskey sour I made with the egg white and the rest of the lemon juice as that was consumed while cooking

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    vdrjpv2iw16g.png

Serious eats as well!

I wasn't sure how the anchovy would taste but it was good

Croutons were fantastic

signature.png
  • Options
    It got cold again.

But it's supposed to hear to this afternoon, and I just got a new salad spinner.

So chicken Caesar salad it is!

• Options
    Soup and salad. Homemade croutons and dressing

• Options
    Recipes for Three Sisters Soup are up. Tried my best with the research. As usual, it was a lot of fun to learn. :)

signature.png
  • Options
    I wonder if I could do a three sisters but with like butternut squash and corn chowder style together with beans in it

• Options
    There are definitely some recipes out there with a more milk or cream base to it! Sounds delicious

signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    This is a very simple soup, but pretty great! I could see this being a top tier hangover food.

NKcyhNkl.jpg

I did The Loving Spoonfool's recipe. I would recommend adding a hamhock or something.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    idq4e459v3wu.jpeg

I did the thing

Mostly followed the Bertha Skye recipe, except I didn’t have potatoes (and made the bannock anyway so I’m set for carbs)

I also added some ham, and went extra on the corn because I had really good fresh local corn from the farmers market

Also, a tip I learned elsewhere, if you’re making a corn soup/chowder with fresh corn that you’ve cut off the cob, don’t throw the cobs out right a way, there’s a ton of extra corn flavour and you’ll get a tastier broth if you simmer the cobs in with the rest for a bit

I cut off either end and just used the middle of the cobs and put them in for the first 10 minute simmer, then took them out before I added the butter and flour

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    “Simmer the Cob” is the tag line for my new horror screenplay.