As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I figured! :lol: it looks wonderful nonetheless

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I've got a can of ackee coming in the mail tomorrow, so I will catch up this week!

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I did it! Didn't have salt cod so I just used regular cod. It was pretty tasty, but the ackee was surprisingly tasteless?

1YpQ4qEl.jpg

I like to ART
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Making pumpkin soup tonight (with fresh baked bread), using puree pumpkin instead of fresh and so far is looking a little thin...but I'll let you know how it turns out.

txdh22q4fhkj.jpg

• Options
    Ok turned out pretty o.k., not the best soup I've had but it's descent.

Bonus pictures of the amazing bread we made and the beer that is currently kicking my ass.

http://imgur.com/a/BzBXW5I

• Options
    edited November 2020
    yw1lpdyir61u.png

Yes, with salmon stock and goat cheese. It continues to be one of my favourite fall recipes. Added a dash more cayenne pepper this year, which wasn't a bad thing!

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    Recipes for moussaka are up! Recommendations for week after next are appreciated - feel free to pull from the bucket list, or just one off the top of your head. It's close to American Thanksgiving, but doesn't necessarily have to be related to that!

signature.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Need to figure out an eggplant-less moussaka.

• Options
    Gonna be honest, I've only ever had fried eggplant and I didn't care for it...I might give this one a shot

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Gonna be honest, I've only ever had fried eggplant and I didn't care for it...I might give this one a shot

If you or someone in your family isn't so sure about eggplant, I'd recommend salting and sweating the eggplant even if the recipe doesn't call for it. Slice it up, lay it out in a single layer in a baking sheet, sprinkle with kosher salt, and let it sit for an hour or two. Then wipe off the excess salt with a paper towel and proceed as usual.

The salt draws out excess moisture and makes for a better texture, but most importantly it draws out a lot of the bitter undertone that's the flavor most people don't like if they don't like eggplant.

Dang, I hope I have an oven by next week, I haven't had moussaka in years.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Can vouch for salting eggplant.

I'm excited to try this one this week. I'll be going food shopping at some point during the week, so I'll have to settle in a recipe and go from there.

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    Need to figure out an eggplant-less moussaka.

Zucchini moussaka? https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/moussaka/ :D

signature.png
  • Options
    Yeah, maybe that’ll work.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    If anyone's interested in more moussaka and all Greek cooking, this site is pretty good and goes a bit deeper into some Greek recipes.
    https://cucinacaruso.com/
    My wife swears by it. Although the Greek language site has a lot more content.
    The moussaka version on the English site is a bit involved
    https://cucinacaruso.com/moussaka-smoked-aubergine-ragu/

• Options
    edited November 2020
    My red curry paste was way more potent than expected so I ended up with spicy pumpkin soup, which was weird. Also adding bacon is a must.

a5dkFY6l.jpg

I used the https://www.recipetineats.com/classic-pumpkin-soup/ recipe, plus that red curry paste, and some herbs and bacon. It needed sage though.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Looks like I'm ambitiously catching up.

RxA4MfPl.jpg

Moussaka has an interesting texture, definitely would have been better with the panko flakes on top. I used a red onion and I would recommend it. Only thing I'd probably change is I'd add greek olives to give it a little brine/sharpness.

*edit* also I cannot stress enough, cook down that meat sauce until it barely qualifies as a "sauce" mine ended up soupy.

A good mix of cooking skills but probably not something I'll make again any time soon.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Ooh, nice! Which recipe did you use?

signature.png
  • Options
    Ever since I started making chili, one of the most important things I have learned about anything saucy is “boil it down more”.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm going to get my shopping list together and hit the food store tomorrow night.

I need some comfort food right now. Even if it's not necessarily mine

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Looks like I'm ambitiously catching up.

RxA4MfPl.jpg

Moussaka has an interesting texture, definitely would have been better with the panko flakes on top. I used a red onion and I would recommend it. Only thing I'd probably change is I'd add greek olives to give it a little brine/sharpness.

*edit* also I cannot stress enough, cook down that meat sauce until it barely qualifies as a "sauce" mine ended up soupy.

A good mix of cooking skills but probably not something I'll make again any time soon.

According to my wife the secret of ggod Moussakka is the preperation of the eggplants so they turn themselves and the rest of the dish into soup. Also grated chees on top for the last few minutes in the oven.

For something way easier that that scrathces a similar itch there's the modern Tselementés version of pastitsio. More or less Greek lasagna, but the seasoning makes quite a difference I think.

• Options
    I used the Tin Eats recipe. I sweated the egg plants well enough, I think I sliced them too thin though.

I like to ART
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    sim8wls4fq4l.png

Added a tooouch too much salt but it's otherwise quite good! Was runny initially, even after eggplant sweating, but after chilling it in the fridge, it's a lot more cohesive

I did a mixture of the Tin Eats and the Akis recipes, with potato at the bottom. Doodmann, your recommendation of panko was on point! :D

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    That's lovely!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Wow that looks amazing!

I like to ART
  • Options
    meat sauce is done.
    bechamel is done
    eggplant and zucchini noodles have been salted, sweated, and baked.
    Potato slices have been parboiled.

The only thing I do not have is any kind of breadcrumbs

• Options
    If you have crackers, I've totally crushed them up and used those instead before! :)

Cassoulet recipes are up! They sounded stressfully fancy until one recipe called it "effectively pork and beans, so don't sweat it"

signature.png
  • Options

• Options
    Thinking back, it definitely needed some more oomph in flavor.
    Adding olives or capers or sundried tomatoes would be an idea.
    My sauce was both too dry and too wet at the same time. like it was too dry to really get a good spread out, but then rather watery when cutting it. though I think that might hae been from me just not succeeding at getting the water out of the zucchini/eggplant enough.
    The Bechamel, for me, definitely needed to have more cheese. and there was WAY too much for the casserole that i made.

So that's getting turned into an alfredo sauce for my lunch today and i'm a happy ducky with that.

Overall, I can see adding this into a weekend routine after some tweaking.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    suggestion for a future week (I looked quickly and it doesn't look like we did it already):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okonomiyaki

tons of potential variations, and the idea that you customize it and put your own spin on it is literally in the name (roughly "how you like/what you like + cooked/fried)

• Options
    Ooh, that's a fantastic suggestion! :) And makes me nostalgic about my Japan trip... 2 years ago? :') Feels like DECADES

signature.png
  • Options
    Dang I was supposed to start soaking the beans this morning.

I like to ART
  • Options
    It's pretty crazy how much flavor there is considering it's only a couple ingredients.

wULPUrm.jpg

I'd start with more broth to keep it wet in the oven...also maybe breadcrumbs even though it's shameful. Also just a shit load more herbs and stuff.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Since I was in cryogenic storage last weekend, I went ahead and made moussaka this week!
    a3nt8snd88mu.png

Unfortunately, both of the grocery stores I went to were out of ground lamb, so I had to make it using ground beef like some kind of degenerate Corsican.

x81wuflxbllc.png

The good news is that the bechamel sauce came out perfect, despite the fact that I haven't made it in years.

4aysw3d728hm.png

All in all, just a lovely fall dish. I missed you, moussaka. Let's never drop each other from our regular dinner rotation again.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Avgolemono soup recipes are up!

Doodmann, you are incredible in keeping up the recipe streak. I do want to make a cassoulet, but my Giant Tub of Chicken Vegetable Soup has been lasting me near the whole week and I've gone back down to irregular grocery shopping :lol: One of these days!

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Avgolemono soup recipes are up!

Doodmann, you are incredible in keeping up the recipe streak. I do want to make a cassoulet, but my Giant Tub of Chicken Vegetable Soup has been lasting me near the whole week and I've gone back down to irregular grocery shopping :lol: One of these days!

Choosing more vegetable chicken soup this week probably wasn't the best idea then! :razz:

Also I made way too much cassoulet so it's going in the freezer. Fun to do but way too involved a process.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Beans just do not like my intestines and vice versa.

but I am super duper keen to make this soup

• Options
    Got on this one early because what else is there to do.

wP2U9GDl.jpg

Made chicken stock using the bon appetit recipe and then used themediterraneandish.com for the rest of the soup. Personally I would have put in slightly less lemon, slightly less orzo, and added some mushrooms to fill out the meatiness.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Is this fucking Lemon Rice soup?

Oh oh yes I am IN so hard. I will take any excuse to make lemon rice soup (with chicken even!). I found a really good way to do it in my Instant Pot

• Options

Oh oh yes I am IN so hard. I will take any excuse to make lemon rice soup (with chicken even!). I found a really good way to do it in my Instant Pot

Tell me of this really good way. Spill your chickeny lemony secrets.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

Tell me of this really good way. Spill your chickeny lemony secrets.

This is the recipe I used last time and it turned out really good (barring a lemon seed I missed that was bit into)

https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/instant-pot-greek-chicken-lemon-rice-soup/