As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

1252627282931»

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I have been bad about keeping up with this. Fortunately it's partially due to being otherwise productive, but I need to get my cook on

I ate an engineer
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Avgolemono! Man, Greek food has just the best names for shouting.

s1qswq06731t.png

I usually rely more on spices than aromatics for my cooking, so I'm pretty excited about this one.

t5bxa86hqtn5.png

Turned out just lovely for the chilly, drizzly week it turns out we're having. The only thing I'd do different next time is pick up 2-3 more of the tiny lemons my grocery store had. I ended up having closer to a quarter cup of lemon juice instead of the half cup it called for, and I think I'd prefer more lemon.

Tempering the eggs with the broth was a neat trick, and made me feel like a real-ass cook. This'll make perfect packed lunches for the rest of the week, and I think the rest should freeze really well.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    DoodmannIoloBucketmansarukun
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Well ok, it turned out alright but really...thin in flavor.

Turns out it was because the low sodium bone broth was very very unsalted. Also I tried sauteing the onions and garlic then making a..slurry so my wife didn't bite into a big onion chunk, maybe next time I'll just do onion powder. Also I did a half cup of lemon juice and and the zest of one and it wasn't quite lemony enough. Still it was really good.

http://imgur.com/a/XVgZGHH

DoodmannSilverWind
    edited November 2020
    Also, protip from a similar lemony soup I used to make: if it looks like your soup has sprouted mold in the fridge over night, take a closer look. Sometimes the interaction between the garlic and the lemon juice can cause the garlic bits to turn a really appalling shade of blue. As near as I can tell, it doesn't affect the taste at all!

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
    BucketmanIolo
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Is this fucking Lemon Rice soup?

Oh oh yes I am IN so hard. I will take any excuse to make lemon rice soup (with chicken even!). I found a really good way to do it in my Instant Pot

Tell me of this really good way. Spill your chickeny lemony secrets.

This is the recipe I used last time and it turned out really good (barring a lemon seed I missed that was bit into)

https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/instant-pot-greek-chicken-lemon-rice-soup/

We had this last night and it was a hit. My kids (who are quite good eaters for the most part) will sometimes turn their noses up at something that looks like mush. But not this soup - they went to town, both coming back for seconds. I did throw a little hot sauce on top for my seconds, just to give it a little boost.

Family satisfied, and recipe dubbed a keeper that we'll make again. Thanks for this recipe, Bucketman!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    JedocDoodmannBucketmanlonelyahavasarukun
    I did make some modifications. I added about 2 tsp of Garlic, added a bit more lemon juice, and a few other things, but yeah for a Instant Pot recipe for this kind of soup which is so finicky, its a good jumping off point. I also add a ton of fresh ground pepper on top of my bowl when I eat it

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I do not have any aromatic things in the house.

This is bad.

sarukunV1m
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I figured we decided to skip turkey week? Which makes sense.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Yes! It totally wasn't because I got busy and this got left behind! :D:D:D

Pushing jewel rice to this week, and okonomiyaki to next. If there are any requests for the week after that, let me know~

Maybe something vaguely festive? Do people enjoy baking gingerbread? Cookies? Sufganiyot?

edit: forgot to post but I DID make avgolemono soup. It was super good. I made it with whole eggs but either slightly messed up with tempering it or shoulda mixed it better and used a sieve to filter out the chalazae, as there were tiny bits of egg white floating around. Still tasty, just not max pretty :lol: Wyborn wants to keep this recipe though, as it's super soothing

x51yw6hcl123.png

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    Iolo
    Jewelled rice recipes are up! Some of the ingredients may be harder to find, but I think you're free to sub in raisins, dried cranberries, dried apricot, fresh pomegranate, etc, as you have available. Also I lobbed in a crispy rice option for the "got no other ingredients in the house" choice :P

signature.png
    JedocDoodmann
    A little late, but I'm not letting this die until we get to 52!

I made the Shirin Polo in the OP with homemade raisins and flat iron steak to help counter the sweetness of the rice.

PMUmNwdl.jpeg

Iolo
    Good for you, Doodmann! :lol: Shall we aim for 52 weeks? We really are very close.

I've bought my basmati rice, but is this worth doing without the saffron?

I'll post up okonomiyaki today. December is a treacherous month (though perhaps less so in covid times?) with a lot of existing food commitments, I imagine

signature.png
    Doodmann
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Good for you, Doodmann! :lol: Shall we aim for 52 weeks? We really are very close.

I've bought my basmati rice, but is this worth doing without the saffron?

I'll post up okonomiyaki today. December is a treacherous month (though perhaps less so in covid times?) with a lot of existing food commitments, I imagine

I found some saffron in my cabinet and threw it in the rice maker, I think it helped but I don't think it's necessary.

SilverWind
    I'm definitely in for okonomiyaki this weekend! I've been working a lot of six-day weeks because of quarantined minions, but I should have a full weekend this week for cookery.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    SilverWind
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My mental health has been really really rough these few weeks, so cooking has been far from my mind.

Soon, I think I'll be back

SilverWind
    Okonomyaki recipe up! Courtesy and massive thanks to Fearghaill~

signature.png
    UnbrokenEvaJedocmightyjongyoDoodmannsarukunBucketman
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    hurray!

couple more thoughts that didn't make it into the writeup:
    #1 this is one you shouldn't let intimidate you. ultimately it's a simple batter + shredded cabbage + anything else you want to put in/on. You can make it as complicated as you want, but it doesn't need to be.
    #2 if you're going for a full-pan okonomiyaki and don't have a special super-wide spatula flipping it can be tricky. I make this a lot and I still break them sometimes. That said, the Serious Eats recipe has a brilliant trick for flipping I wish I'd known years ago. Basically you find a pot lid roughly the size of the pancake, put it on, flip the whole pan/pancake/lid bit over so the pancake is now resting on the lid, then slide it off back into the pan. Obviously, do not do this if you have loose oil in the bottom of the pan.

Doodmannsarukun
    I was so, so surprised that okonomyaki (can often) involve yamaimo yam, which I know as huai shan (which my mom serves in soup, usually). What a fun phenomenon, reading over the recipes and not knowing what they are

Please offer up some suggestions for the next few weeks (and let's end with a bang at 52? :D)

signature.png
    sarukunBucketman
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    I was so, so surprised that okonomyaki (can often) involve yamaimo yam, which I know as huai shan (which my mom serves in soup, usually). What a fun phenomenon, reading over the recipes and not knowing what they are

Please offer up some suggestions for the next few weeks (and let's end with a bang at 52? :D)

I actually just found one of them last week at the asian grocery around the corner of my new apartment, so I finally got to try it in the batter for the first time.

The texture it when it's grated is... unique. All I could think of was the ectoplasm from Ghostbusters.

SilverWindBucketman
    Woke up and decided to make some okonomiyaki

L67DLUMm.jpgvU5pTqHm.jpgpGYpj4sm.jpg

lonelyahavaJedocUnbrokenEvasarukunIoloBucketman
    Okonomiyaki!

lwg9iyivp9by.png
    ol9kcp27p5it.png

This turned out extremely well, especially considering I've never cooked anything like it. The texture and flavor are both amazing, and it didn't fall apart too much when I was flipping it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    SilverWindDoodmannIoloBucketman
    edited December 2020
    Oooh, those look fantastic! I can almost smell them, and picture the bonito flakes moving like we used to watch them dance in Japan... :sad:

I'm a week behind!

etxdw5r8j0xa.png

jrpuz8op1qes.png

The tahdig looks much browner than it was. I'll attribute that to my camera settings, as it wasn't burnt :lol:

Alas I didn't have pistachios, but instructions on blanching almonds went swimmingly. This was also my first time working with saffron!

edit: What does everyone think about miscellaneous cookies for next week's recipe? I plan to do a looooooooot of holiday baking, and that would dovetail really well with those plans. :lol: We can take suggestions on different cookie recipes and give them a whirl?

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    JedocDoodmannsarukunIoloBucketmanV1m
    That tahdig looks amazing!!

And yeah. Maybe confectionery and cookies? I'm planning on making chocolate fudge with Ellie for her teacher's gifts. And maybe cookies depending on my energy levels.

V1m
    @Doodmann @Jedoc those both look fantastic

I doubled up this week, partly because it's one of my favourite things to make and partly because what else am I going to do with all this cabbage and mountain yam?

cabbage, green onion, and grated carrot pancake with bacon added after cooking:
    sEeAuEPl.png
    k7XI4o4l.png

cabbage and green onion, with shredded king oyster mushrooms:
    wYfOd5Ml.png
    jtjcuWcl.png
    fzoNvYTl.png

JedocSilverWindlonelyahavamightyjongyosarukunDoodmannIolo
    That's some pro level mayo art!

signature.png
    Jedoc
    Oh, snap. I just remembered that I still have some homemade sauerkraut in the fridge.

Tomorrow's okonomiyaki is going to be some probably ill-advised fusion.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    DoodmannUnbrokenEva
    Oh, snap. I just remembered that I still have some homemade sauerkraut in the fridge.

just remember to account for the extra moisture!

I was actually thinking about doing something very similar, but with kimchi

Doodmann
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I’m home aaaaaaalll day Wednesday, maybe it’ll surprise my lovely lady with okonomiyaki for dinner.

There’s a couple nice places that serve it but the shit is expeeeeennnnsiiiiiiveeeeee.

Edit: Okay, my phone did NOT know what to do with okonomiyaki.

sarukun on
    Doodmann
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular

I mean, pickled ginger is a common okonomiyaki inclusion

It’s pretty reasonable

And speaking of lactic acid bacteria, a Japanese instant noodle company is now offering 40 billion lactic acid bacteria ramen

sarukun
    Cookies and other confectionaries! Please share what you're making (or what you'd like to make).

My go to chocolate chip recipe over the years is a modification of Alton Brown's The Chewy: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-chewy-recipe-1909046.amp

The gluten free version he has is also stellar and as good as the gluten version (have had many a non gluten free friend say it was their favourite, and I baked like two hundred for a friend's wedding)

signature.png
    on Friday I will be making ocean spray's cranberry bread, which is basically flour and orange juice and cranberries and is great.

We will be making Ginerbread men for my fiancee's nephews on the 27th, provided they no longer have hand-foot-and-mouth disease. :P

Doodmann
    Dark chocolate fudge for us. and maybe some molasses cookies

sarukunSilverWind
    I want to make cinnamon rolls but I'm real low on flour so I'll probably make some heavy chocolate and cinnamon cookies instead.

sarukun
    I made snicker doodles and then decided to go nuts and make persimmon jam based frosting for the top. These are sugar bombs but what the hell it's the holidays.

27Hoiaj.jpg

I vote for nog this week.

Bucketmansarukunlonelyahava
    Its always time for Nogg

we made Ellie's teachers some chocolate fudge. I dont' really consider it cooking though.

250g dark chocolate
    1tsp vanilla
    1tsp cinnamon
    1 can sweetened condensed milk

Melt the chocolate and condensed milk, stir in the other things. put into a well greased 9x9 or 8x8 square baking dish.
    chill overnight.

It's basically ganache and not actual fudge, but i do not care it's decadent.

sarukunBucketmanIoloDoodmann
    Hello, everyone.

Time to cook for cook club.

I have been making vegetable chowders because it is booty-butt cold in Taipei the last few days.

Let's see some hearty soups on the list!

DoodmannIolo
    I made tortellini soup and gumbo this week and we currently have a 48hr bone broth simmering.

Bring it on.

sarukunIolo