As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    near Frederick, Maryland

edit: I'm not opposed to them, I've just never really been to a place that I'd think to order them

Xaquin on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Is a potsticker a dumpling?

I know gnocchi is a dumpling. I bet you've had a fuckin dumpling!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Potstickers are dumplings, yeah

inland MD is not within my dining radius unfortunately, someone else will have to take this one

I've had gnocci

can't say I'm a huge fan

they didn't have a filling though. or if they did it was unremarkable

edited January 2020
    Gnocchi doesn't have filling, it's more in the style of boiled european starch dumplings. It's also remarkably easy to fuck up, though good gnocchi is sublime.

Most people here are talking about south-east asian varieties of dumpling, which have very little in common with things like gnocchi. Also we're all rather proving @sarukun 's point regarding dumplings, which is deeply irksome.

edit: if you're ever in New York and want to blow real cash on cantonese style dumplings, check out the dim sum baskets at
    https://hakkasan.com/new-york
    ... but I can also point you to a whole lotta budget eateries which are very nearly as good.

tynic on
    I'll be cooking some next weekend for cook club!

I think I'll make the pan fried variety as the steamed ones look slimy

if anything steamed dumplings tend to be a little sticky, rather than slimy, but if it's not a texture you're sure about then go for the pan fried.

I guess cause I've never had them I just assumed

either way, I'm looking forward to trying them out!

Also if you’re making them from scratch pan fried are way easier cause it doesn’t matter as much if they come apart while cooking. I get very anxious when sealing steamed or boiled dumplings.

I'll be doing them gluten free so my GF can have some

won't lie, my dough making skills are basically nonexistent. I can manage a no knead dough, but that's it so far

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    https://youtu.be/9j6xm7e5bJo

Ykt8paQl.jpg

Go on a journey with me:
    https://imgur.com/a/Eq7WGbU

Actual Recipe:
    1/2 pack of hot italian sausage
    *get pot real hot*
    1/2 onion
    1 red bell pepper
    1 jalapeno
    *char if possible*
    1 small bag of paprika
    ~ 1/2 that amount of cumin
    *stir*
    1/2 garlic bulb
    6 roma tomatoes
    *smash with wood spoon in pot*
    *add water* (I added too much)
    SALT
    5 eggs
    *cover*
    2 green onions
    3 large slices of crumbled aged cheddar

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Xaquin have you had pierogies? Then you've had something like an Asian dumpling

Made shakshuka!

I did one onion, finely cut, one green and red pepper, and one eggplant then added in some frozen corn.

Ground cumin, turmeric, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Added in two cans of diced tomatoes because what even is portion control. Then added in more red pepper flakes, cumin, some yellow curry powder, diced garlic, and some chili paste, and some worcestershire sauce.

Let that simmer for ten minutes, and then popped the eggs in.

Served with home made Challah and butter.

Family verdict was that it was amazing, and can join in the dinner rotation! So thanks for giving me the courage to try this!

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I’m gonna write a song titled “Dumpling is a stupid fucking word and I’ll be mad about it till I die”

sarukun on
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Oooh more shakshuka journeys, how lovely! <3
    Xaquin wrote: »

won't lie, my dough making skills are basically nonexistent. I can manage a no knead dough, but that's it so far

From someone who has cooked gluten free for a number of years... This is going to be difficult. The good news is that this recipe is very clear and step by step and seems to have good reviews: https://www.snixykitchen.com/gluten-free-dumpling-wrappers/. I'd definitely recommend the potsticker path since GF dough is more fragile

Also I suppose a benefit of GF wrappers is that they won't have the chewy quality you don't like

sarukun wrote: »
    I’m gonna write a song titled “Dumpling is a stupid fucking word and I’ll be mad about it till I die”

I've always learned the story as "westerners saw jiaozi, and renamed it the first thing they think it looked like". Which basically explains all the "Chinese [insert western vegetable which it actually isn't]" names

(To be fair there's a bunch of vegetables that Chinese people just call things like... Big White Vegetable. Empty Heart(Center) Vegetable. So the bad naming is an issue everywhere)

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    edited January 2020
    SilverWind wrote: »

From someone who has cooked gluten free for a number of years... This is going to be difficult. The good news is that this recipe is very clear and step by step and seems to have good reviews: https://www.snixykitchen.com/gluten-free-dumpling-wrappers/. I'd definitely recommend the potsticker path since GF dough is more fragile

Also I suppose a benefit of GF wrappers is that they won't have the chewy quality you don't like

I've always learned the story as "westerners saw jiaozi, and renamed it the first thing they think it looked like". Which basically explains all the "Chinese [insert western vegetable which it actually isn't]" names

(To be fair there's a bunch of vegetables that Chinese people just call things like... Big White Vegetable. Empty Heart(Center) Vegetable. So the bad naming is an issue everywhere)

It only feels bad because the etymology of English words is relatively obscure because the majority of English words aren’t English. Most of the rest of the world names things the way the Chinese do, I’ve found, English is the outlier.

It will often happens that I’ll ask how to say a word in Chinese, say “helmet” and they’ll go “It’s ‘safety hat’” and I’m all...

“Fuck, that’s easy to remember.”

sarukun on
    edited January 2020
    @lonelyahava I have not had pierogies

I've had ravioli though which seems kind of similar to pierogies and dumplings

@SilverWind I was planning to use that 1 to 1 gluten free flour by bobs red mill. think that'd work?

Xaquin on
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I did the thing!

It only feels bad because the etymology of English words is relatively obscure because the majority of English words aren’t English. Most of the rest of the world names things the way the Chinese do, I’ve found, English is the outlier.

It will often happens that I’ll ask how to say a word in Chinese, say “helmet” and they’ll go “It’s ‘safety hat’” and I’m all...

Fair! My personal narrative growing up with my often very blunt and direct parents/relatives (and how I am to some degree) made me internalize it as "Chinese people are just very literal." Though of course that's hardly a educated insight :lol:

@ lonelyahava I have not had pierogies

I've had ravioli though which seems kind of similar to pierogies and dumplings

@ SilverWind I was planning to use that 1 to 1 gluten free flour by bobs red mill. think that'd work?

It's hard to say without testing it. BRM's all purpose GF is primarily garbanzo bean and tapioca flour, which are two of the main flours the recipe I linked recommended, and that's good. One thing I'd definitely add to that flour, though, is xanthan gum (as directed in the recipe) as it's basically a "act like gluten" thickener/chewy-maker that most GF flour blends omit because it's a (relatively) pricier ingredient. But it's completely essential if you want to do any gluten free baking. BRM sells bags of it too

signature.png
    edited January 2020
    Here's mine!

TrdGW7M.jpg?3
    WA3dJyK.jpg?2
    nnDTZMT.jpg?2

I think I'll be adding shakshuka into our meal rotation. Super simple to make, vegetarian, very soothing. We had it with bread and also over rice. I definitely recommend sous viding the eggs if you like super runny yellows but set whites

Anyway, it's time for jiaozi next! I think for funzies I'll keep a running list of who participates each week in the OP/second post (and keep adding to it if people do it past today--don't worry!)

I'll put up the jiaozi info in the OP tomorry

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    daaaamn that looks good

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Someone over in the D&D chat thread linked this and I wanted to participate because I've heard good things. So I did!

SHAKSHUKA

bkT4GMY.jpg?1

SAWJ75O.jpg?1

https://imgur.com/a/sNbJ32b < Full album of cooking stuff

I put chorizo in it, a serrano pepper, cooked the eggs so they're not runny (whoops, but I like 'em that way so it's fine) and it's got a good kick, warm and filling, and I like it a loooot.

My wife hates it though, she doesn't like cooked tomatoes at all apparently. So now I have to eat the entire thing. Oh well!

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'm going to open up a restaurant called Shake Shakshuka and it's going to have shakes and shakshukas.

Thank you Shark Tank judges, I'll be in my trailer waiting for your check.

Very nice! What's the bread you're eating with it?

signature.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Very nice! What's the bread you're eating with it?

It is a store bought baguette that is quite crusty/chewy and it paired quite well I think!

edited January 2020

Fair! My personal narrative growing up with my often very blunt and direct parents/relatives (and how I am to some degree) made me internalize it as "Chinese people are just very literal." Though of course that's hardly a educated insight :lol:

There are some corners of linguistics/anthropology that believe there's a certain relationship with your native language and your world view. One of the unusual things about English, for example, is the absurd number of color names we have. The further back you go, the less colors exist in any language. Japanese is a good example: the Japanese word for "green" (midori) is a relatively recent invention: as a result, traffic lights in Japanese are "red and blue". Some scholars believe there is some interplay with cultural world view. The most modern example in English of the phenomenon is probably Orwellian newspeak: the Party believes they can actually control people's ability to think indirectly by simplifying the English Language.

So, whether it's a funciton of Chinese culture or Chinese language or there's a complex interplay going on there is ???????????

Edit: I made the thing and took some photos but I got work early tomorrow morning so I’m rainchecking the uploads. It was real damn good and at least one of my yolks was fairly runny and delicious.

sarukun on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I've made shakshuka for several months so I'm remedying that this evening. Fine work this thread.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Listen, I'm as big a fan of runny yolks as just about anyone on the planet.

But I got lazy this morning and just dropped a big spoonful of sauce and some feta into a half-scrambled egg and kept stirring it until everything heated up. It turned into a sort of soft-scramble frittata and I ate it on some griddle toast. And I think I like it better than the carefully-poached version! It's just a really nice distribution of flavors and textures, especially since the veggies are still just a little bit crunchy. Plus it's way more forgiving and harder to screw up first thing in the morning.

I recommend at least giving it a try.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Jiaozi recipes are up on the main post. :D

Because a lot of ground pork is lean fat, I think I'll try grinding some of my own, from pork belly. A food processor should be able to do the work too, for those without meat grinders

signature.png
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    made the shakshuka tonight, i followed the serious eats recipe and used 1 red bell pepper, 1.5 onions (since i had a half left over), 2 serrano peppers, and 1 diced chipotle in adobo (since i have a can i need to use up) - i added the chipotle with the tomatoes

(i don't know what i'm doing with photos so let me know if these are messed up)

mise en place
    n72yqlv3j8m3.jpg
    (guest appearance from the Pizza Camp cookbook in the back)

cookin veg
    wngxt921gven.jpg
    y7uy9julv8eg.jpg

final product
    dtw0j00nukx5.jpg

i had it with some marinated artichoke hearts (with some more of the oil drizzled over), crumbled feta cheese, and an italian loaf from the supermarket

was very good, a+, the sauce was very rich and flavorful, a good heat but not overly spicy and i didn't feel the need to add any hotsauce. only change i would make is cutting the bell pepper strips in half, it was hard to maneuver the long strands that didn't soften all the way

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

To anyone thinking of trying to make their own wrappers--I found the Serious Eats food processor version really easy to do. Rolling it out was sort of a pain but I had a round cookie cutter to cheat (though the Adam Liaw video shows how he suggests rolling it out, which was really helpful)

Also.....I used to just pinch the edges as a kid, but here are all sorts of pleats you can do!

https://youtu.be/84-QPpmIleA

signature.png
    not liking the look of second from the right there

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I am obsessed with the ideas of dumplings, thought I've only ever made the southern american and starchy European ones myself. I may go all in on this.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Man, I love jiaozi. They're hard to beat in terms of pure, unrelenting eatability. I could eat them until I explode

dN0T6ur.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmm not sure if I want to make pork style pot stickers or chicken soup dumplings. Anyone have any experience with how to steam these without a baboo steamer? I have a steam basket I use for veggies and an instant pot and a rice cooker

Instant pot has lots of recipes for steaming jiaozi online.

I need to edit my Shakshuka photos and get ‘em up here before people start cooking dumplings here...

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I think I’m going to make pan fried dumplings because the idea of a texture contrast between a crispy bottom and a soft, chewy top sounds really appealing

Also I have a pan that seems like it would be perfect for it. Wide, flat nonstick bottom, high sides, and a good fitting lid

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    won't be able to do dumplings this week, sadly. but i'm sure i'll do that another time anyways

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    pan fried dumps are just the best

edited January 2020
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I think I’m going to make pan fried dumplings because the idea of a texture contrast between a crispy bottom and a soft, chewy top sounds really appealing

Also I have a pan that seems like it would be perfect for it. Wide, flat nonstick bottom, high sides, and a good fitting lid

It is so good my dude.

Edit also Lunar New Year begins tomorrow, I am looking at the schedule for tomorrow and our trip to Southern Taiwan and I’m thinking that unless we make dumplings at my fiancée’s uncles house (unlikely), I probably can’t rock it this time either.

We’ll see how it goes.

sarukun on