As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Frying definitely worked better than my attempt to steam. Photos to come.

I realized why I stopped making wontons and stuff...way too much dexterity and craft involved. I'm a cook dammit.

Photographic evidence:
    Cooking Club Week 2: Dumplings! https://imgur.com/a/Ig9ViGc

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Oooh, the frying ones look so nice and crispy

I tried a first attempt at guotie and uh.... kinda burnt the bottoms. Mildly. Had the heat on too high to start, I think. T-take two in a couple days...

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    The plan was to make jiaozi over the long weekend last weekend but between my whole family catching whatever bug was going around at the baby's daycare (I'm just now back to feeling well) and the grocery store not having ground pork (and due to said bug, not having the energy to pull out the grinder and make my own) we called an audible and made ramen instead. Which was a good call though I'm going to try to get stuff to make 'em this weekend.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Getting sick this week has derailed both my Shakshuka and jiaozi dreams but I'll see how I'm feeling Sunday

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    All the sickness makes me think our next recipe should be a good chicken soup or other soup/stew of some sort (please offer suggestions)

signature.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I realized why I stopped making wontons and stuff...way too much dexterity and craft involved. I'm a cook dammit.

Photographic evidence:

Did you make your own dough or buy some? Making the dough is the daunting part for me

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My wrappers are out of the freezer, now I just have to decide on a filling.

Bucketman wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »

Photographic evidence:

Did you make your own dough or buy some? Making the dough is the daunting part for me

I bought wrappers, I highly recommend buying round ones if possible.

Silly question, but for store bought, are those Wonton wrappers or Eggroll wrappers?

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    All the sickness makes me think our next recipe should be a good chicken soup or other soup/stew of some sort (please offer suggestions)

Hey, I could make chicken and dumplings and do two weeks at once!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

To move from eastern to western style dumplings, we could do spaetzle soup, made either with chicken stock or vegetarian with lentils/beans.

Another thought is Ajiaco, which is a Colombian chicken soup and is souper delicious

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I make a damn good gumbo

Bucketman wrote: »
    Silly question, but for store bought, are those Wonton wrappers or Eggroll wrappers?

I ended up buying egroll wrappers and cutting them but the wonton wrappers seemed exactly the same except smaller, I couldn't find round ones that were dough and not rice paper.

m!ttens wrote: »

To move from eastern to western style dumplings, we could do spaetzle soup, made either with chicken stock or vegetarian with lentils/beans.

Another thought is Ajiaco, which is a Colombian chicken soup and is souper delicious

https://youtu.be/mIA9AlrJZm4

edited January 2020
    Ooooh yes, that's fantastic

Such great suggestions too, since I've been falling into a very standard turkey/chicken veg each time I make it. I'll take a further look this evening!

edit: Gumbo/jambalaya definitely deserves its own week

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    If we do chicken soup, I'm totally doing matzah balls, or trying to make slippery dumplings.

@Erin The Red , wasn't sure if you saw this thread, but I've seen some good food come out of your kitchen!

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Xaquin wrote: »
    @Erin The Red , wasn't sure if you saw this thread, but I've seen some good food come out of your kitchen!

💜
    Thanks! I'll work on catching up on the thread

Erin The Red on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I'm making chicken and sausage gumbo tonight for dinner. Really excited! I love making gumbo and when my other partner visited she said it was her favorite thing she ate during her three week tour of America

Made me proud as hell

Erin The Red on
    edited January 2020
    My suggestion for next week is chicken _ soup, with the encouragement of trying a different variant of the soup than you're used to making! Some recipes have ingredients a bit harder to source depending on where everyone is based (guascas, tomatillos) so I think giving a range is best

Most of these could be made vegetarian by skipping the chicken and using vegetable broth. There's a vegetarian matzo ball recipe here

I'm going to add gumbo, french onion soup (has always been on my to make wishlist) and beef bourguinon to the To Do list, though I'll sprinkle them along so we don't get mired in soupystews the whole time :P

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    edited January 2020
    I've always wanted to try making french onion soup

Xaquin on
    I've always wanted to try making french onion soup

Ita really not that hard! I've done it in a stock pot and in an instant pot.

The trick to making french onion soup is to set aside triple the time you think it'll take you to caramelize the onions.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I've heard that you can use a slow cooker to caramelize a huge batch of onions, but I've never tried it myself.

jgeis wrote: »
    I've heard that you can use a slow cooker to caramelize a huge batch of onions, but I've never tried it myself.

I did it with my instnatpot, I know I sound like an advertisement, but it caramelized them in like 10 minutes. The stock pot version tasted better but took like an hour

Ooh, I need to make french onion soup now that I finally figured out how to turn down the simmer setting on my gas stove. Last time I tried even the lowest setting was way too hot, and I never got that good deep brown flavor going.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    if anyone wants to make a vegan broth and go really all out on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKgYRtHwJ28

Wonder if you can make a good chicken mole soup

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Veggie Dumpling supplies acquired! I may have to substitute spinnach for cabbage though, because somehow HEB had no cabbage

I ate an engineer
    got my filling made!

dumplings tomorrow! unless I mess up the wrappers

milski wrote: »
    Veggie Dumpling supplies acquired! I may have to substitute spinnach for cabbage though, because somehow HEB had no cabbage

Update: I may have too much dumpling. Also it's kinda nuts that the calories on these things is 80% from the flour

I ate an engineer
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    This fuckin' lemongrass chili sauce makes some excellent dumpling sauce. One saucer of that, one of sweet chili and one of sesame ginger soi sauce and you've got yourself sum dim.

For the past decade of my cooking life, a little voice has been whispering in my head, "You should buy a food processor."
    "I think I'm good for this recipe, voice. I have this immersion blender and an old coffee grinder and some vintage grater drums for my stand mixer. I don't think I really need a food processor."
    "But you should get a food processor."
    "Some day, maybe. But I don't really want to buy a cheapo Walmart one."
    "Oh, definitely not. You need to blow like half a paycheck on a giant stupidly overpowered monolith of a food processor."
    "Right. Because I don't know when a recipe is going to come up that's going to make me shred God into a bowl."
    "Exactly. Just a nightmare murder machine of a food processor."
    "Yeah. Not today, though. One of these days."

Anyway, that's kind of a side story that has nothing to do with this thread. But on an unrelated note, as soon as my dishwasher finishes its current cycle I am going to process the fuck out of some dumpling filling.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

Update: I may have too much dumpling. Also it's kinda nuts that the calories on these things is 80% from the flour

Bread makes you fat?!

But yeah, dough/pastry will get you every time.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    My friends are effusive about how well the chonk-sized dumplings turned out. Tbf, part of it may be dipping them in some very good spicy mayo

I ate an engineer
    5cnuhpgtmhkg.jpg

first ever attempt at making any kind of dough, any kind of dumpling, and eating dumplings

dough is difficult .... especially gluten free

the filling is amazing

the presentation was lackluster

all 16 dumplings were devoured in less than 5 minutes =)

xypdv7cwl6is.png

Hell yeah, dumplings! For the protein, I used some home-made venison and pork hickory sausage I made with my nephews, making these Honest Jedoc's Down-Home Country Style Potstickers. Based on the Serious Eats recipe.

bejx6jfk05x9.png

I've never made anything like this, so I was pleasantly surprised at how well they held together in the boiling water. I was prepared for the much less forgiving environment of deep-frying taquitos, where they all fall a goddamn part.

They turned out really tasty! My only question is how many of these am I supposed to cook at a time? I ate four of them for dinner but I think I could have continued eating them until further notice, whether or not it was good for me.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    5cnuhpgtmhkg.jpg

first ever attempt at making any kind of dough, any kind of dumpling, and eating dumplings

dough is difficult .... especially gluten free

the filling is amazing

the presentation was lackluster

all 16 dumplings were devoured in less than 5 minutes =)

16 is not enough dumplings.

I got tired of fiddling with the wrappers and the pan was starting to smoke =/