As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Nice Weekend [Podcast]

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I like the stealth in Dishonored because it allowed me to eavesdrop on people and really luxuriate on the environments and find the secrets and the lore and whatnot

I'm much more diligent about finding that stuff when I'm going slow and playing thoughtfully. I don't like clearing areas out and having a leisurely poke around for collectibles as much; feels more like box-checking than discovery.

Brandy and cigars tonight?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Dishonored is a game series I have never understood because it seems to punish staying in stealth by making the game way more boring

yes you get the "chaos" ending but who cares if its torturing yourself to not engage with the actual cool shit you can do??

I felt this post as a disturbance in the Force

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Dishonored 2 is a lot better about letting you play non-lethally but also giving you fun options to do that

You can straight up get in the sword fights and just end them by choking a motherfucker out

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Dishonored is a game series I have never understood because it seems to punish staying in stealth by making the game way more boring

yes you get the "chaos" ending but who cares if its torturing yourself to not engage with the actual cool shit you can do??

I felt this post as a disturbance in the Force

One day we will agree on a single gameplay aspect of a single game

And then the trumpets will sound

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I like the stealth in Dishonored because it allowed me to eavesdrop on people and really luxuriate on the environments and find the secrets and the lore and whatnot

I'm much more diligent about finding that stuff when I'm going slow and playing thoughtfully. I don't like clearing areas out and having a leisurely poke around for collectibles as much; feels more like box-checking than discovery.

Brandy and cigars tonight?

Never doubt it.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'll probably get back to Dishonored 2 at some point and try and disabuse myself of the notion that I CANNOT BE SPOTTED EVER

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I could've done with Titanfall 2's campaign being a biiiiit longer but as it is it's a really rip-roaring and tightly edited action movie so I can't complain much

Considering how often campaigns for games have a lot of high points but also have parts that feel like obvious padding that really drag, I think it's a damn fine compliment to say "I wish that was longer."

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    If a game gives me a non-lethal option I have a really hard time not doing that.

To like, the point of ruining the game for myself sometimes!

What killed Dishonered for me was that you had no non-lethal options outside of stealth. Other than hiding for like 5 minutes I guess.

So every time I got caught I felt like I fucked up and reloaded a save, and eventually burnt out on the game by like, mission 3.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    If a game gives me a non-lethal option I have a really hard time not doing that.

To like, the point of ruining the game for myself sometimes!

What killed Dishonered for me was that you had no non-lethal options outside of stealth. Other than hiding for like 5 minutes I guess.

So every time I got caught I felt like I fucked up and reloaded a save, and eventually burnt out on the game by like, mission 3.

This is me but I made it through.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    In dishonored 1 I played perfectly stealthy but also killed everyone and then I felt bad at the end of the game cause emily drew a sad picture

Dishonored 2 i was still stealthy but much less murderous (except for those traitors who dared depose me)

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Speaking of Dishonored, a TTRPG was just announced.
    Players can take part in the kind of stealthy assassination missions that are central to the video games, but they can also play as explorers, couriers, duelists, and inventors, reflecting some of the games’ variety of colorful NPCs. The games’ central characters Emily and Corvo are also playable.

Source

• Options
    In all Immersive Sims I usually categorize factions as okay to kill and not okay to kill

For most of Dishonored 1, I categorized all guards as Do Not Kill

After the third act turn, though, I slaughtered everyone in my way, guards and whalers alike, and still ended up with the low chaos ending

Cutting loose with all these powers and upgrades I had mostly avoided up until that point was fantastic

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I found it pretty funny starting out Dishonored 2 that everybody was like LOOK OUT FOR THAT BADASS MOTHERFUCKER CORVO HE’LL FUCKING KILL YOU AND IS PROBABLY A SERIAL KILLER

and meanwhile my Corvo made damn sure everyone from Dishonored 1 was still alive

(Though honestly the non-lethal resolutions are arguably even worse than a sword in the throat)

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    In all Immersive Sims I usually categorize factions as okay to kill and not okay to kill

For most of Dishonored 1, I categorized all guards as Do Not Kill

After the third act turn, though, I slaughtered everyone in my way, guards and whalers alike, and still ended up with the low chaos ending

Cutting loose with all these powers and upgrades I had mostly avoided up until that point was fantastic

If I remember right, the chaos threshold is 80% of all people you have seen so far must still be alive

(By “seen” I mean exist in a level you’ve reached)

So yeah if you went absolute non-lethal for the first 4/5 of that game you could murder everybody else you come across and still get the good ending

Also I think civilians, guards and targets all count in that equation

In 2 the chaos system still exists but pretty much acts only as phasing for the levels (so if you reach a threshold where 21% of people are dead, next loading screen you’ll be in the chaos version of the level)

The ending only depends on story choices there

sig.gif
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Dishonored 3 should take a page from Batman and let you terrify the fuck out if mooks.

Like even from a believability standpoint it’s kind of ridiculous that a guy would run up to the teleporting shadow demon and try to stick his sword in him/her after he watched you take down three of his friends.

august on
  • Options
    Dishonored 3 ain't happening because I don't believe those games made any dang money

• Options
    Also, spoilers for the end of Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
    whether you kill the Outsider or just render him a mortal man, there is likely no one to grant Void powers anymore, so it would be a little tough, though obviously not impossible, to justify

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Looking at this Lovebook thing I've been hearing about on podcast ads.

Up to 100 pages
    Book Size: 5.5" x8.5"
    Premium Bound Glossy Cover
    Soft Cover Also Available

All of this
    (up to 100 pages)
    Starting At $71.79 CAD

dgod5iki41xq.png

Users can make characters that look just like themselves and the receiver.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    august wrote: »
    Dishonored 3 should take a page from Batman and let you terrify the fuck out if mooks.

Like even from a believability standpoint it’s kind of ridiculous that a guy would run up to the teleporting shadow demon and try to stick his sword in him/her after he watched you take down three of his friends.

I think they have a morale threshold and will sometimes run

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Dishonored 3 ain't happening because I don't believe those games made any dang money

The team that made Dishonored is now working on another game called Deathloop. The last comment on Dishonored I've seen is that the IP is "resting" (except for the upcoming tabletop RPG).

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Speaking of Dishonored, a TTRPG was just announced.
    Players can take part in the kind of stealthy assassination missions that are central to the video games, but they can also play as explorers, couriers, duelists, and inventors, reflecting some of the games’ variety of colorful NPCs. The games’ central characters Emily and Corvo are also playable.

Source

I struggle to think of a reason I wouldn't just use Blades in the Dark for this instead

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Worst Year ever is about the Virginia gun rally

It's very disturbing and very good

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    End of the Xehanort Saga, eh Square

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Look, I won’t pretend I wouldn’t at least try a KH autochess

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

This would be disapointing to me, personally.

But lordy is autochess the most thematically appropriate genre for a Xehanort game.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    can't wait for them to give kairi a special ability that's only there while she's on your bench

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Dishonored 2 is so fucking good, I need to get back to it and beat it

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    watching vinny and alex play blade runner makes me want to go and replay The Longest Journey

more than that, it makes me want to see them play The Longest Journey

probably one of the best point and click quest games ever made, with some of the best voice acting ever recorded in a video game, and one clearly influenced by how the Blade Runner videogame looked and felt

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I will also never stop being mad at how Funcom fumbled the sequel but that's a whole other topic

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I started Longest Journey a couple years back but was having trouble getting into it

• Options
    edited January 2020
    yeah it's very clunky and at points obscure in the worst ways those kind of games can get

one puzzle is so hilariously difficult to suss out that it kinda became a proto meme - the subway card inflatable duck fishing pole was A Thing

but the story and, again, the absolutely phenomenal VA make the game completely worth going through

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    In dishonoured 2 the non-lethal choice is often arguably the more evil. Like you can stab a guy in the heart for the lethal ending, or send him to die slowly as he’s worked to death in a mine for the “non lethal” option

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I haven't played Dishonored 2, but is that true?
    I imagine being forced to be a miner would suck, but I think even the lives of slaves and inmates are precious.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    thoughts about kills and non lethal choices re: dishonored -
    the Low Chaos ending, the "good" one, is noticeably different on a gameplay level than the High Chaos "bad" one. it feels a lot less satisfying, which was weird and upsetting at first

and then I thought about it some more and realized it's brilliant

Dishonored is an actual steampunk game that doesn't take the easy way out with the punk. the good ending feels incongruous with the tone and setting of the game and you don't get to be the cool magic assassin you were throughout the duration of the experience. conversely, with High Chaos, revenge does end up feeling good in a very literal sense. this imbalanced approach is intentional: you could try and basically game the game to get that fairytale ending but it sticks like a fishbone in your throat because it doesn't belong in a gothic story about class disparity and political intrigue.

this is further reinforced by all the non-lethal methods of finishing levels being arguably more cruel to your assassination targets than merely killing them

There's no "optimal" ending. There's the ending you think you'd want in any other game, and the ending that actually feels deserved and appropriate

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    dishonored very carefully uses the phrases "low chaos" and "high chaos" rather than violent/non-violent or moral/immoral

it doesn't actually land all the time, but ultimately what it's saying is "this is what will most frighten the populace", and usually it's the idea that there's a violent murder assassin stalking the night that could kill anyone at any time. there are individual characters who you work with who judge you for being violent, but of course - you're making them complicit in your acts and requiring them to confront the costs of revolution.
    I imagine being forced to be a miner would suck, but I think even the lives of slaves and inmates are precious.

one of the nonlethal takeouts in the dishonoured series is helping a stalker kidnap a woman (your target) so he can keep her in his house forever

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I appreciate that the developers seemed to have avoided playing the game as "straight steampunk", which has grown from a subversive radical narrative into a shallow aesthetic echoing themes of imperialism and classicism, and instead decided to go with "victorian gothic" as their inspiration

the darkness is closing in, horror is inescapable, the struggle is desperate and success is never assured

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular

one of the nonlethal takeouts in the dishonoured series is helping a stalker kidnap a woman (your target) so he can keep her in his house forever

Yeah that's pretty gross.
    I guess the game developers really went out of the way to make a nonlethal takeout as deplorable as possible outside of what a character would do in reality, (in a fantasy game even).

Won't go into if murder is better over getting kidnapped by a stalker, as it's gross thing to think about, but that's not math I'd wish anyone would have to take. Like thinking about it, I don't wanna make a statement that victims of kidnapping, lives aren't worth it. Understand the sentiment that they put some fucked up stuff in the game though.

VayBJ4e.png
This discussion has been closed.