As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Nice Weekend [Podcast]

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Just finished the first ten episodes of Amory Score

I had heard C&C had a goofy story about aliens but I always figured it was like The Sound of Animals Fighting - the superior pretentiously goofy '00s post-hardcore opera - in just having kinda word salad lyrics with a set of unifying motifs, and oh my god it's already so much worse than that

Reynoldsreplacewythy
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I am

So excited

To find out whatever that spoiler is on my own

IKknkhU.gif
    TallahasseerielSpeed RacerMunkus BeaverSimBenMortal SkyYaYarhylithDiarmuidNeveronSeGaTaimageormikeVeldrin
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I will be very excited to see reactions to it from folks who are familiar with FF7

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    no spoilers, because i don't know any spoilers

but some of the ways that Waypoint talked about FF7R sounded a lot like Rebuild of Evangelion

which i'm torn on because on one hand, the concept of the eva rebuilds is really cool, but on the other hand in execution they kinda mostly suck

also I don't know the basic plot of FF7 and I'm contemplating whether I wanna try to marathon through the game over the next couple days so that I know the ways that FF7R diverges from it

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    speaking of anime rebuilds of familiar plots

the new Digimon anime that started a few days ago already owns

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    If you start now and put about 13 hours a day into it, you can finish FF7 before the remake comes out.

13 hours from now is 3 in the morning, though.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    okay seriously can we just not talk around these spoilers for a game that's not out yet in the goddamn podcast thread

go to the JRPG thread with all this

LuvTheMonkeyGrisloKwoaruFrylockHolmes
    Watching Abby play RE3

Jesus, am I just forgetting RE2, or did they really make such a wild, gross jump with all of these weird maggot things

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    how....bad is the pc port of FF7? Is it....bad bad

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    how....bad is the pc port of FF7? Is it....bad bad

Its fine

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I haven't played that game since like 2004 I might try to replay it

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Aren't the current console ports based on the pc port?

augustturtleant
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I'm listening to the Boys Boys Boys Rude Tales of Magic and I am one million percent here for Cum Dangle and his crew of jackassess.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The FF7 Remake only really gets through Midgar, which you can get through in FF7 pretty quickly. Should be easy enough to get through before Friday

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I would also like to be PMed these FF7R spoilers to see what the big reveal is, please.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The PC port of FF7 actually cleaned up some of the text, so you don't have stuff like, "This guy are sick."

This may be a misfeature, tbf.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    There is a new rude tales and I am stuck in meetings until 5...........

Rhylith - <Shambler Milk> Horde Chogall
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I would also like to be PMed these FF7R spoilers to see what the big reveal is, please.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Mx. Quill on
    Reynolds
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Meeting all of Stirfry's Kenku family on this Rude Tales is DELIGHTFUL

CYpGAPn.png
    JacobyMr FuzzbuttSporkAndrew
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I will say this sure seems like a good way to piss off fans!!

They're Final Fantasy 7 fans

They're reaping what they sow

Boy it sure feels kind of shitty to see a bunch of forumers agree with this sentiment!

Guess I’ll just go fuck myself for being a fan of a video game.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I will say this sure seems like a good way to piss off fans!!

They're Final Fantasy 7 fans

They're reaping what they sow

Boy it sure feels kind of shitty to see a bunch of forumers agree with this sentiment!

Guess I’ll just go fuck myself for being a fan of a video game.

I thought it was a funny joke and pressed agree, I don't ACTUALLY want anyone to have a bad time

ZonugalEtchwartsBlankZoeDoodmannDouglasDangerSimBenStraightziOlivawMx. QuillNeveronSpeed Racerwebguy20eddizhere
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    As a fan of final fantasy 7, I will happily make fun of fans of final fantasy 7.

Just like I'd make fun of DBZ fans or D&D fans.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    DoodmannrhylithBahamutZERORorshach Kringlenever diewebguy20Challeddizhere
    Yeah like, I would have agreed with the same post if it was about Star Wars

ZonugalKwoaruCrippl3Ms DapperOlivawMx. QuillNeveronnever diewebguy20darunia106
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'm not one of the "Final Fantasy 7 fans" myself

I do feel pretty confident that they are not as bad as Zelda fans, though

And that no one's worse than Mass Effect fans

dN0T6ur.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

As an outspoken Moraff's Dungeons Of the Unforgiven fan, I must protest.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Wyborn
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Are we talking just video game fan-communities?

Because Star Wars and Rick & Morty are dreadnoughts of shitty fan communities.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    DoodmannPsykomaGR_ZombieOlivawMx. QuillNeveronSeGaTaiRorshach Kringlenever diewebguy20darunia106
    edited April 2020
    Zonugal wrote: »

Are we talking just video game fan-communities?

Because Star Wars and Rick & Morty are dreadnoughts of shitty fan communities.

no see because I'm a Zelda fan and a Mass Effect fan, that's the format of the joke!!!

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    eddizhere
    don't particularly recall the star wars and rick & morty fans writing a post trying to scientifically deduce what a character's sweat would taste like

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    because we are gamers, we all deserve to die

liEt3nH.png
    The Cow KingRorshach Kringleeddizhere
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    don't particularly recall the star wars and rick & morty fans writing a post trying to scientifically deduce what a character's sweat would taste like

That just shows that they're bad and lazy.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Crippl3
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Honestly, the worst are any fandoms around serious skillz multiplayer games. Just the most toxic bullshit imaginable.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Good lord the Flipcup spotlight segment in this Rude Tales almost killed me

CYpGAPn.png
    Jacoby
    Anyways: fan culture as a whole can be and often is incredibly toxic. Arguing over which group of assholes is worse is...mostly pointless because they've all got their own special brand of fuckery.

ReynoldsGustavDouglasDangerStraightziMortal SkyOlivawMedium DaveLokarndarunia106
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

bruh you saying there isn't someone out there that hasn't creepily pontificated on the aroma of Jabba the Hutt's armpits

I ain't taking that bet

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

bruh you saying there isn't someone out there that hasn't creepily pontificated on the aroma of Jabba the Hutt's armpits

I ain't taking that bet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDU3PojzaHk

aGPmIBD.jpg
    EtchwartsCrippl3
    Gustav wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

I ain't taking that bet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDU3PojzaHk

I'm just assuming this was the pitch for the Cassian Disney+ show

Gustav
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Thoughts on the spoilers from someone who has always wanted a remake
    It’s complicated.

I’m one of the people who were hoping for a remake long before it was announced. FF7 is my favourite game of all time, but it’s undeniable that aspects of it have aged really badly. Much like the classic Resident Evil games.

Speaking of RE, that’s exactly what I wanted. I wanted FF7 to get the RE1 Remake treatment. I wanted a game that was a faithful recreation of the classic version. That looked and played like the original, but had modern graphics and sound, with a touched up script.

And for a few years now, I already knew that I wasn’t getting what I wanted. I’ve already lived through the cycle of hype followed by disappointment. The gameplay is already radically different. So that’s it for my dreams of a RE1 style remake right there.

Instead I’ve tried to stay optimistic that even though I can’t have what I want, what I get can still be worthwhile in its own. I like the new designs, I like the new combat. The demo went a long way to helping me get over those mental hurdles.

These spoilers are...hard to digest. The demo made it feel like we were at least getting a faithful adaptation and recreation of the story. But it’s clear now that that’s not what is actually being planned.

It’s clear now that this may not even really be a remake, in the end.

I don’t know how to feel. I had already tempered my expectations, so it’s not hitting me as hard as it could have. I think I’m glad I spoiled myself. Getting hit with the real nature of this game after 35+ hours of play would have been a real kick in the balls for someone like me. Knowing things going in, I hope thatI can maybe approach this with a more open mind.

But I will always be sad that I didn’t get anything close to what I had been hoping for for a decade and a half. And I think it’s kind of shitty of Square to do this to their fans. This is going to blindside a lot of people who were excited about a remake of a game they loved. This is going to be like Raiden in MGS2, where expectations are going to be shattered and it’s going to be upsetting and controversial. And like MGS2, there’s going to be something of interest and value there, too.

I dunno. It sucks. It’s also fascinating that they would do this. I’m angry and intrigued and sad and excited all at the same time.

Etchwarts
    Thoughts on the spoilers from someone who has always wanted a remake
    It’s complicated.

I’m one of the people who were hoping for a remake long before it was announced. FF7 is my favourite game of all time, but it’s undeniable that aspects of it have aged really badly. Much like the classic Resident Evil games.

Speaking of RE, that’s exactly what I wanted. I wanted FF7 to get the RE1 Remake treatment. I wanted a game that was a faithful recreation of the classic version. That looked and played like the original, but had modern graphics and sound, with a touched up script.

And for a few years now, I already knew that I wasn’t getting what I wanted. I’ve already lived through the cycle of hype followed by disappointment. The gameplay is already radically different. So that’s it for my dreams of a RE1 style remake right there.

Instead I’ve tried to stay optimistic that even though I can’t have what I want, what I get can still be worthwhile in its own. I like the new designs, I like the new combat. The demo went a long way to helping me get over those mental hurdles.

These spoilers are...hard to digest. The demo made it feel like we were at least getting a faithful adaptation and recreation of the story. But it’s clear now that that’s not what is actually being planned.

It’s clear now that this may not even really be a remake, in the end.

I don’t know how to feel. I had already tempered my expectations, so it’s not hitting me as hard as it could have. I think I’m glad I spoiled myself. Getting hit with the real nature of this game after 35+ hours of play would have been a real kick in the balls for someone like me. Knowing things going in, I hope thatI can maybe approach this with a more open mind.

But I will always be sad that I didn’t get anything close to what I had been hoping for for a decade and a half. And I think it’s kind of shitty of Square to do this to their fans. This is going to blindside a lot of people who were excited about a remake of a game they loved. This is going to be like Raiden in MGS2, where expectations are going to be shattered and it’s going to be upsetting and controversial. And like MGS2, there’s going to be something of interest and value there, too.

I dunno. It sucks. It’s also fascinating that they would do this. I’m angry and intrigued and sad and excited all at the same time.

Thanks for writing this up, I was genuinely interested in hearing what an FF7 fan would think about it

It's a different thing from the outside looking in

LockedOnTargetWyborn
    edited April 2020
    no spoilers, because i don't know any spoilers

but some of the ways that Waypoint talked about FF7R sounded a lot like Rebuild of Evangelion

which i'm torn on because on one hand, the concept of the eva rebuilds is really cool, but on the other hand in execution they kinda mostly suck

also I don't know the basic plot of FF7 and I'm contemplating whether I wanna try to marathon through the game over the next couple days so that I know the ways that FF7R diverges from it

Final Fantasy 7 is worth playing through, if you're willing to engage with it on its own terms

It's very earnest in its setting and its messaging in a way that might be disarming, 23 years later, but that is part of what makes it worth experiencing in its original form

I can't guarantee you'd like it, but I do think you'd appreciate it

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    LockedOnTargetStiltsReynoldsSimBenMoth 13
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I've never played a final fantasy game

Which one should I wishlist and maybe play some day?

This discussion has been closed.