As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Nice Weekend [Podcast]

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    what’s the best way to play FFVI nowadays

FFVI is weird because unlike other similar games there's not really a "best" version.

The original has Ted Woolsey's translation/light rewrite, and also has some big ol' bugs like entire status effects doing nothing whatsoever. There's mods that attempt to fix this, of course, but they're of varying quality and generally have issues themselves. (Translation mods especially.)

The GBA port has an improved translation, fixes a bunch of bugs, and adds new content, but it also kind of ruins the music because the GBA's soundchip isn't as good as the SNES.

And the PC/mobile port is very obviously made for mobile phones and completely ruined the graphics with a lazy upscaling/smoothing. It's a decent version if you get a mod to restore the graphics, but you're still stuck with the mobile UI.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The quality of the FF6 versions is inversely proportional to how easy they are to acquire.

Steam/mobile is worst, followed by PS1 Classic, then SNES Classic/WiiU Virtual Console, then GBA is best.

It might be easier to get an SNES Classic than a PS3 or Vita if you don’t have one already, I guess.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    There is a fan patch for the PC version of FFVI that adds a bunch of shit including restoring the original sprites.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I wish sony would put out an "elite" controller that's modifiable

I pay a bunch of money for an xbox one to ps4 controller converter because I literally cant hold the dual shock 4 and this is going to have the same problem

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I'm very interested in it, but don't have a playstation. I'm hoping it eventually comes out on pc but I'm not holding my breath.

it will almost certainly be out on PC in 1 year, that's almost always how SE releases go these days

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I've never played a final fantasy game

Which one should I wishlist and maybe play some day?

FF13 because the combat mechanics are really good and I like that a bunch of the weapons transform

Some people think its too linear but I generally don't the parts of JRPGs where they want you to wander aimlessly around an empty open world anyway so I didn't mind

It doooooes take too long for the "tutorial" section to end but I still enjoyed those first...eleven hours

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    august wrote: »
    "Create" button gtfoh.
    I am like 95% sure it is just the share button

I mean yeah but you know... come on.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    You should play FF1.

Otherwise you'll be totally lost when it comes to the story!!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    "Create" button gtfoh.
    I am like 95% sure it is just the share button

I mean yeah but you know... come on.

I support the way "creator" has crept into all the places it doesn't belong.

Mostly because in college, we had a cat who would yowl outside the bathroom and stick his paw under the door any time one of us was in there. And "Please, I'm creating!" somehow became the thing we yelled at the cat when we were on the toilet. I'm pretty sure we were quoting something, but I haven't been able to track down what.

Anyway, thanks to that, I get to see a "create" button on a video game controller and have myself a little dirtbag chuckle about it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I keep meaning to play both FFV and FFVI for the first time but I'm pretty conflicted. I could realistic play any of them. The GBA versions seem pretty good but there's something about them... obviously there's the music thing, and there's some ways in which the graphics are clearly better... but the lower resolution of the GBA makes everything seem smaller somehow compared to the SNES originals.

august on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    FFVI was the first Final Fantasy I ever played, it's got a lot of Nostalgia Value for me, and I will be annoyed forever that we can't get a nice remake or even a decent port of it

it's also the reason why every Final Fantasy where you can't have a moogle in your party disappoints me

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Rude Tales of Magic is so fucking good
    Got a little choked up when Stir-Fry called out "why ya gettin' off the boat, bird?"

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Man, I really want to know what this FF7 secret is. Why are people not just putting it in spoilers?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    THE GAME IS NOT EVEN OUT YET AND THIS IS THE PODCAST THREAD, FUCK ME

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

FF13 because the combat mechanics are really good and I like that a bunch of the weapons transform

Some people think its too linear but I generally don't the parts of JRPGs where they want you to wander aimlessly around an empty open world anyway so I didn't mind

It doooooes take too long for the "tutorial" section to end but I still enjoyed those first...eleven hours

I love 13 but I would never, ever recommend it as someone's first FF.

• Options
    Man, I really want to know what this FF7 secret is. Why are people not just putting it in spoilers?

For something that's not even out, in a non related thread, the chance someone clicks on it by accident is pretty high

You can just ask someone to pm you

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    FF7:
    Mako is made of ghosts.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Hasn’t FF7 been out for like... a week?

• Options

For something that's not even out, in a non related thread, the chance someone clicks on it by accident is pretty high

You can just ask someone to pm you

I did. Nobody PM’d me.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Maybe reviewers have had copies for that long, but FF7R doesn't get released until April 10.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Hasn’t FF7 been out for like... a week?

No. Some areas got it shipped early (australia/europe) because of the virus but the official release is Friday.

• Options
    FF7:
    It's release is this Friday.

• Options
    Oh yeah weird

We’ve had it here since last Thursday and I was wondering why I hadn’t seen much buzz, so that makes sense.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    FF7
    it's really sad when they play that Wiz Khalifa song at the end in tribute to Paul Walker

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I do love that the best fast and furious movie has the same abbreviation as the worst final fantasy game

Get to pull that joke regularly

• Options
    I've never seen a fast and or furious movie

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I've never seen a fast and or furious movie

the Fast ones are pretty good

but the Furious ones?

well, those are also good

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    My question is... Isn't it dangerous to be furious while going fast?

• Options
    Wow

It’s exactly what I guessed it will be. Can’t wait to see the response.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    It'd be like some kinda white line nightmare

• Options
    Hey so how did season 2 that Wolverine podcast end up going?

I quite enjoyed the first season, but started losing interest a little by the end.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The GBA version is pretty great

Mute the GBA version and play the SNES soundtrack

The GBA soundchip was, at best, a beast you had to work to tame, and porting over the original tracks did not go well

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The only reason people have fondness for some GBA osts is that people realized 'oh, we have to make music like this was an MSX' and adapted accordingly

• Options

I quite enjoyed the first season, but started losing interest a little by the end.

It's ok

Having Logan not actually be on screen much made the first one magic

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    My question is... Isn't it dangerous to be furious while going fast?

Exactly

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I do love that the best fast and furious movie has the same abbreviation as the worst final fantasy game

Get to pull that joke regularly

Yeah Fast and Furious 3 is pretty good.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    FF7
    it's really sad when they play that Wiz Khalifa song at the end in tribute to Paul Walker

i disagree, this didn't work for me (FF7 spoilers)
    they should've NEVER let Cena spit with Wiz Khalifa

• Options

It's ok

Having Logan not actually be on screen much made the first one magic

Yeah, making Logan an urban myth type figure is my ideal Wolverine story, and that hit pretty close which was great.

Is he a lot more front and center on season 2?

This discussion has been closed.