As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[movie] thread: slam in the back of my jackula

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the Soska Sisters Rabid remake way more than the mixed reviews would have led me to believe. There are significant bits that don't work, but its got ideas to spare and kinda turns into a
    Resident Evil

at the end. It may also help that I think the original is just ok, so I wasn't hurt by it not being super faithful.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I watched Magnolia tonight

That movie should be stupid and I should hate it but uh oh where did all these tears come from!!

there is some stuff in there that should be the corniest of corny and have PTA laughed out of polite society and I have absolutely no idea how they made it work

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tonight I watched The Phantom.

What a delightful film.

And Billy Zane is shredded in it.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I watched Magnolia tonight

That movie should be stupid and I should hate it but uh oh where did all these tears come from!!

there is some stuff in there that should be the corniest of corny and have PTA laughed out of polite society and I have absolutely no idea how they made it work

"I really do have love to give; I just don't know where to put it."

And it WORKS, some how???

• Options
    The Magnolia soundtrack is soooo good.

Aimee Mann is phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0V8CpT0Iow

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    bad boys for life:
    is a movie about a witch murdering
    joey pants
    to get revenge on will smith for ghosting her

give it eight billion oscars

sorry what
    the main villain is a cold-hearted ganster, murderer and bruja, who takes guidance from santa muerte to exact divine revenge on will smith

we are straight up introduced to her as she is chanting incantations

I was already gonna see it, but now I’m hype as fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    A friend and I went to see Magnolia opening night expecting another Boogie Nights (raucous, fun, with some "oh shit that's real" moments). We were so, so glad to be so, so wrong.

I still need to see all of The Master, all of Inherent Vice, and start Phantom Thread. I'm not sure how it is that I've only seen parts of those first two (got a ways into each and had to stop for some reason without ever actually finishing up).

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

What a delightful film.

I love how he has casual conversations with his ghost dad

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You know what movie is a fucking trip...

Vanilla Sky

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Holy Motors

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure The Trip isn't holy motors or vanilla sky

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

Bong also makes reference to Fanny & Alexander so if this is really an expanded version of the film with the cast returning, I'm more interested than I was before

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

What a delightful film.

There's a timeline out there where The Rocketeer, Shadow and Phantom movies made bank and a whole bunch of sequels and crossovers happened and there I go making myself sad again.

• Options
    My wife mentioned wanting to see Parasite the other night. First time she's mentioned it to me at all. She's not a super film nerd or anything, but apparently it's all the rage in her "Nerd Group" on Facebook. She loved The Host, so I guess we'll be seeing Parasite at some point! Wonder if it's still playing at our local arthouse theater or if it's moved on?

• Options

Vanilla Sky

Not to be “that guy”, but Abre los Ojos was way better.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »

Vanilla Sky

too late, you that guy'd

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    My wife mentioned wanting to see Parasite the other night. First time she's mentioned it to me at all. She's not a super film nerd or anything, but apparently it's all the rage in her "Nerd Group" on Facebook. She loved The Host, so I guess we'll be seeing Parasite at some point! Wonder if it's still playing at our local arthouse theater or if it's moved on?

it probably came back for the Oscar push

• Options

Vanilla Sky

too late, you that guy'd

I mean both are good, but Vanilla Sky has the whole bit at the end that just turns into 10 minutes of exposition and explaining what every tiny bit means, but yeah...

Hi, it's me. That guy.

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »

it probably came back for the Oscar push

Looks like it did! Playing a few times a day with a late showing on Friday and Saturday. May try to go see it this weekend.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Saw Parasite on Saturday, probably my favorite movie of like the last 5 years, can not stop thinking about it.

The sister is probably my favorite character in a very long time and I want to watch more of her
    She was just the shittiest person but so damn entertaining and I would watch just a whole series about her conning everyone and never giving even the slightest fuck.

When she smoked during the flood I was like youre the absolute worst but also the coolest and best.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Vanilla Sky

too late, you that guy'd

I mean both are good, but Vanilla Sky has the whole bit at the end that just turns into 10 minutes of exposition and explaining what every tiny bit means, but yeah...

Hi, it's me. That guy.

How's your boneitis?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

Vanilla Sky

too late, you that guy'd

Hi, it's me. That guy.

I liked that, because, you see, I am very stupid

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Vanilla Sky

too late, you that guy'd

Hi, it's me. That guy.

I recently saw an article that asserted as if it were news that "Knives out isn't just a whodunit, its actually about class" so maybe movie makers should just be spending the last ten minutes telling the audience what their story was about.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

What a delightful film.

My favorite part of The Phantom is how jovial & optimistic the villain is at every point in the movie.

He's super jazzed to be a bad guy.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Vanilla Sky

too late, you that guy'd

Hi, it's me. That guy.

This is why some of my favorite bullshit in anime is when characters take explicit pains to explain exactly how their dumb bullshit magic powers work.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Vanilla Sky

too late, you that guy'd

Hi, it's me. That guy.

I recently saw an article that asserted as if it were news that "Knives out isn't just a whodunit, its actually about class" so maybe movie makers should just be spending the last ten minutes telling the audience what their story was about.

That totally killed it for me at the end of Hereditary

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Oh shit, Parasite is back in theaters around here

Hmmmmmm that's probably worth seeing, huh

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »

What a delightful film.

There's a timeline out there where The Rocketeer, Shadow and Phantom movies made bank and a whole bunch of sequels and crossovers happened and there I go making myself sad again.

At least Mask of Zorro got a sequel.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I watched mask of zorro with my kids and that movie is still so fucking good

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that movie does rule

I was just thinking how weird it is that we don't have a Zorro thing in this age of prestige TV

apparently they've got something in the works at CBS

• Options
    Okay, so I'm definitely going to watch Parasite, but there aren't any good times in the next few days

Instead I might go see 1917? My local theater does a $5 ticket thing on Tuesdays, and has something called the "Grand Screen," and that all feels like a good way to watch that movie

• Options

Vanilla Sky

too late, you that guy'd

Hi, it's me. That guy.

How's your boneitis?

Regrettable.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I wish Sahara had become the treasure hunting blockbuster hit instead of National Treasure.

mcconaughey makes for a great Dirk Pitt.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Parasite has been playing nonstop in my local arthouse since... when did it come out? Start of November? It’s played most days since. I’ve never seen a movie play even close to that long there before. And with the Oscar buzz, I doubt it’s leaving any time soon.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Parasite has been playing nonstop in my local arthouse since... when did it come out? Start of November? It’s played most days since. I’ve never seen a movie play even close to that long there before. And with the Oscar buzz, I doubt it’s leaving any time soon.

Yeah mine looks like it's also doing that, but a little more erratically?

Like it's showing every day this week, but at 4:00 PM when I'm at work or at 9:30 PM when I should be getting ready for bed to go to work

Looks like if I wait till Februrary 8th, it'll still be at 9:30, but that's a Saturday, so I can do that

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Sahara was my most rewatchable movie until Kung Fu Hustle took that spot. Its just a lot of fun and easy to leave on in the background. I wanna see Steve Zahn in more things. Hes a lot of fun.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Sahara was my most rewatchable movie until Kung Fu Hustle took that spot. Its just a lot of fun and easy to leave on in the background. I wanna see Steve Zahn in more things. Hes a lot of fun.

Watch Out Of Sight! I know I say this a lot, but it's surprisingly good! The cast is fucking stacked, including Mr Zahn playing a small-time car thief that gets in way over his head in some deep trouble, and that's just a minor side plot!

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Best Steve Zahn is "getting seduced by Amanda Peet with Arby's" Steve Zahn

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    "Zahn" means "teeth" in German and all I can think about when I see Steve Zahn's name is that he's called Steve Teeth.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    that movie does rule

I was just thinking how weird it is that we don't have a Zorro thing in this age of prestige TV

apparently they've got something in the works at CBS

the one thing I had to censor was the brother's head thing, I had completely forgotten it and when Love says oh i'm sorry did you want a drink I leaped in front of the tv just like OH HEY UH LOOK OVER THERE WHAT COULD THAT BE

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
This discussion has been closed.