As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[movie] thread: slam in the back of my jackula

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    No that's pretty accurate. The first story is the only one that really takes a swing at it, and while there are some through lines and payoff with later stories (especially the last one, I believe), it's largely just a sci-fi horror melange for a lot of it.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    It’s frustrating because you can start to see interesting directions but it never quite gets there. I dunno maybe the Jordan Peele produced series can take the ball and run with it

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    But I think I’m gunna finish the Southern Reach trilogy instead to get modern cosmic horror that has less of the baggage.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Have you read Ballad of Black Tom yet?

• Options
    I have not!

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Oh read that, that's a much better modern reckoning with the racial politics of a Lovecraft story.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    My PTA rewatch is complete and if anyone cares where I rank things
    #8 Inherent Vice
    #7 There Will Be Blood
    #6 Hard Eight
    #5 Punch-Drunk Love
    #4 Boogie Nights
    #3 Phantom Thread
    #2 Magnolia
    #1 The Master

The only ones that were new to me were Hard Eight, which was a really delightful genre piece, and Magnolia, which completely bowled me over

I was surprised by how much There Will Be Blood diminished for me in the context of his other work, it’s kind of missing a lot of what I like about what he does

Phantom Thread also rose a lot for me, primarily because this was the first time I had ever ever rewatched it and it works extremely well knowing where everything leads and how the dynamics shift, but also when it came out I was not in a long-term relationship and boyyyyyyy does that change things

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    Today is also the first time I've ever noticed what ridiculous eyes Daniel Craig has. Real people don't have eyes that blue.
    in the director's commentary, he talks about a shot that really emphasizes how striking Daniel Craig's eyes are, which then reverses to Toni Colette just looking gobsmacked, and he says something like, "Me, too, Toni."

I think I know the one he means. There was definitely one moment where I was thinking they must have done something to make his eyes extra blue.

Is that commentary free? I doubt the film will still be in cinemas when I get back from holiday, but if it is I might go and see it again because I'd like to hear that.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    it is, indeed!
    https://knivesout.movie/#commentary

it was neat, but mostly just made me want to see it a third time, normally.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Oh read that, that's a much better modern reckoning with the racial politics of a Lovecraft story.

Honestly what I thought Lovecraft Country was going to be. So I’ll def check that out.

I did read the Alan Moore and Jacen Burrows’ mythos cycle comics and yeah...don’t do that. Though

Final issue of Providence
    I did enjoy the attempt to display the post apocalypse of the mythos cycle when the old ones did awake and take over. Mostly for the idea that once reality has been overtaken by creatures that exist in both dreams and reality that the insanity their visages cause slowly turns to a mundane acceptance similar to standard dream logic.

But it wasn’t worth the pages to get there

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Are Johnson's in-theater commentaries typically the same as the ones that will be on a Blu-Ray?

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »

Honestly what I thought Lovecraft Country was going to be. So I’ll def check that out.

I did read the Alan Moore and Jacen Burrows’ mythos cycle comics and yeah...don’t do that. Though

I did enjoy the attempt to display the post apocalypse of the mythos cycle when the old ones did awake and take over. Mostly for the idea that once reality has been overtaken by creatures that exist in both dreams and reality that the insanity their visages cause slowly turns to a mundane acceptance similar to standard dream logic.

I'm curious what this looks like? If you can describe the squamous monstrosity of such tenebrous thought-shapes, that is

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Rare is the film I would preorder a theater ticket for a first-time viewing

Rarer is the film I would travel more than half an hour to see in theaters for the first time

Long story short: Wednesday I'm seeing Color Out Of Space and I'm real excited

On my way to see Color Out Of Space. still real excited!

hahahahahahahaha

So I just wrote pretty much three hundred words about the film in messages to friends elsewhere, and I'm gonna write up at least two hundred more here when I get home in an hour and am able to give a proper Review but for now:

you folks are gonna fucking love Color Out Of Space when it comes to DVD/BluRay next month, and the last time I was this confident of a recommendation was Annihilation

You have no idea how delighted I am to hear this.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Most coherent thoughts I have on Color Out Of Space at the moment, spoilers of course will be tagged:

If you go in expecting Mandy 2.0, you will be disappointed if you liked Mandy. Because you won't like Mandy anymore. Color Out Of Space is what you get when Annihilation makes a baby with the 1982 The Thing, and the atmosphere of Mandy just happens to be in the same neighborhood to help raise said kid. Will get a lot of comparisons to all three films, especially and immediately Annihilation (for things a bit too spoilery for me to even want to get into behind tags right now without just wanting to rewatch the whole film immediately and as a double feature), but really the fact that it might Only be better than Mandy isn't a disservice to the film at all

Color Out Of Space is so much fun, and something I immediately can tell will find a warm and welcoming audience upon the home media release. This is gonna get more appreciated than not, even if that takes time. The prettiest scifi body horror film in decades, and might just be my favorite Nicolas Cage film

More than enough to love here. A brief list:
    Cute alpacas
    Cool creature effects
    Incredible visuals
    Tommy Chong
    Madeleine Arthur's surprising performance
    Actually terrifying body horror. This can probably be combined with the cool effects mentioned above, but hey, I'll take any chance I can to diss the 2011 The Thing. That film? Fucking sucked. This film? Richard Stanley pulls off more ambition and with more passion with a third of that film's budget
    Nicolas Cage hamming it up. Oh god does he ham it up

More than enough to love here. A brief list, spoilery edition:
    Tommy Chong's this hippy (surprising development there, I know) who's the first to be suspicious of the asteroid and the color. "It's just a color" though, right? He gives a good rant via audio taped in his final scene. It's probably the weakest of the things I loved here but I don't care, it was charming to see Tommy be almost a normal part of the chaos around him

Madeleine Arthur is the only person in the family that thinks this situation is consistently ever worth escaping or trying to escape from. By itself that'd have been an interesting enough plotline that I would have been impressed with her role, but she was an underrated delight throughout this whole performance. At the same time her character deals with this supernatural ordeal, she simultaneously juggles being the black sheep of the family being made to feel she's not wanted or appreciated, the burden of the family having "settled down" in this farm none of them really ever feel comfy in just to try to find a safe/safer space for her mom/Cage's wife to die (if her cancer comes back), and seeming to try coping with it all by doubling down on her interest in practicing Wicca. It's all daunting but Madeleine handles it well (surprisingly so considering this is the first I've seen of her, hopefully not the last), to the point when her fate finally comes the way the whole family's is doomed to, it feels the most tragic of all

The body horror/creature effects. There's some really gross shit in this! The alpacas fuse into one. The youngest male kid and the mom fuse into one. None of it I really think lands this existential scar that the Annihilation bear did, but this is definitely an R-rated film with R-rated stuff in it and if you're into scifi more than horror or loved Annihilation more than The Thing, you're gonna want to skip the third act because while this is scifi for the most part, it definitely tilts a bit more noticeably into just outright horror in that last half hour. I dug that, but that won't be for everyone and that's worth knowing

Incredible visuals. I don't really know how much more I can expand on this if you saw the trailer or that big image of the color outside their house, but: this is a surprisingly beautiful film? When everything goes nuts, it's mostly gorgeous to look at. I kept thinking that for the last hour in particular, especially as the forest outside their house expands. The last fifteen minutes are phenomenal

Nicolas Cage. When shit hits the fan and everything becomes surreal (and it gets this way nearly effortlessly despite gradually happening after a very tense first hour; don't worry, this isn't as slow or boring as Mandy), he's adapted so quickly to it and become just as weird and energetic as everything else around him that you wonder how you even got to this point. It's effective. Everything feels nuts. And that's when Nic's in his element. It's been forever since I last saw Wicker Man so I don't know if I'd say he's more nuts than he was there or even in Mandy, but when the actual film itself is 1000% better than either of those by the time he's having his wild rants, does that matter?

Oh, one more thing while the tags are here: props to Richard Stanley for having a black man be the narrator And the only survivor. Fuck you HP Lovecraft

A decent amount I don't think I've even touched on, partly because I want to watch this immediately again so I can re-experience it and re-confirm my thoughts before putting to paper. I won't exaggerate: the next time I watch Color Out Of Space will not be the last. I love this. It's not perfect, but what's done right is done pretty close to it, and there's a lot done right. And a lot I didn't expect! Even with how vehemently I knew I was gonna end up seeing this in theaters or preordering it on DVD (I did both) immediately after seeing the trailer for the first time

I really hope Richard Stanley gets to make the trilogy he's recently claimed on this promotional tour he wants to make out of Lovecraft adaptations (Dunwich Horror and a mystery third one he's not spoiling the identity of yet that I wouldn't be shocked if it's Cthulhu). In the aftermath of this I really think he'd be able to do great, terrifying, currently relevant, and ultimately progressive work in those worlds, which is very refreshing to think about. And I'd love to see what he could do with a bigger budget considering this is what he was capable of with $12mil

Again, Color Out Of Space is coming to physical media around this time next month. I really feel confident a lot of you will dig or at least appreciate it when you finally get to give it a view, whether that's then, earlier or later. This was a beautiful mess, a tense ride, an utter delight, and a happy surprise all in one

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I apologize for that book I just spent a full hour typing but in my defense, 1163 words is the same as "at least two hundred more"

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »

I'm curious what this looks like? If you can describe the squamous monstrosity of such tenebrous thought-shapes, that is

Unfortunately I think Burrows is too literal of an artist to really make it as weird as I’m sounding. It largely is dialogue and some neat layout tricks
    the world taken over by tentacles and monsters that look like your standard lovecraft illustrations. But it’s touches like characters disappearing between panels and no one commenting. Like several characters (one fairly major) disappear and the only hint that it’s them dying is that an increasing number of jars have word balloons having too small of text to be read popping out from under the lids.

Also stuff like characters noticing that the drive between cities suddenly only takes going essentially a block since travel times are off in dream states. I’ve heard there’s also weird stuff with the gutters of the comic bulging a bit when monster disappear and reappear but I didn’t catch that. But a lot of really cool comic only tricks to simulate some neat dream states.

But it’s really not worth it to get there. The rest of the series is a former journalist going around trying to find inspiration for a novel and encountering all of Lovecrafts stories first hand BUT REAL. And then he meets Lovecraft who he becomes friends with until he realizes they are all part of a plot to bring the Old Ones back.

Just rewatch In The Mouth of Madness instead. It does the same story done infinitely better. I dunno probably Alan Moore’s weakest thing I’ve read

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Ketar wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »
    well "honk if you love pussycats" was replaced so where them seventeen seconds came from remains a mystery
    Some random person on the internet claimed that the only changes between versions were replacing the sign and two audio edits, which also wouldn't account for a 17 second difference. Every site that lists differences between the versions is just quoting their original post.

So that means it's your job to solve this mystery now. Good luck, we're all counting on you.
    i just had to check something

the "edited for content" warning lasts ten seconds and is part of runtime

so actually it's 27 seconds shorter

i am going to go mad trying to solve this
    I absolutely love that pooka buying this for you started as this sweet gesture that you were happily telling people about all weekend, but is now slowly evolving into pure psychological torture that may be the most insidious revenge I've ever witnessed for telling a mariachi band that it was her birthday when it wasn't and she couldn't leave because it happened in a restaurant.
    while i definitely relish the idea of being an avatar of subtle vengeance, invoking the tragic flaw, alas, i thought he'd get a tickle out of it.
    and he has! i like small joys more than pranks, call me simple. though i did sneak a ukelele into his bed..

and mistake me not, given cause, I'd have no problem ditching your silly asses or Making A Ruckus at a restaurant; i couldn't have left without confusing or insulting the band, and that is not meet. besides, it was funny, why ruin it? i usually know when to play a role.
    Are Johnson's in-theater commentaries typically the same as the ones that will be on a Blu-Ray?
    at least for Looper, it seems they were different. "more technical and detailed," which i would say is still accurate to Knives Out.
    edit: oh, hey, apparently the in-theatre commentary will be included on release.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I apologize for that book I just spent a full hour typing but in my defense, 1163 words is the same as "at least two hundred more"

God, all of that sounds like it was specifically designed to excite me like some sort of bespoke designer drug.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    You should watch Color out of Space
    with your family, it’ll really bring the family together

wandering on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Color out of Space is an enjoyable multi-colored
    psychedelic gory evil space rock type of movie but...

Ok this is a take as steaming hot as an evil rock from outer space and absolutely no one will agree with me, but...

I’m not sure Nicolas Cage was quite right for the part

I mean don’t get me wrong, he gives a fun performance as always, but he wasn’t quite the crazy-go-nuts horror movie dad I wanted in my heart. As it happens, before the movie, a trailer for The Shining played, and boy Cage’s performance suffers in that comparison. Nicholson is also high energy and crazy and uncomfortably funny in The Shining but he’s also incredibly intimidating and enrapturing in a way that Cage isn’t

Of course it’s probably not fair to compare one of the best all time performances in a movie by one of the best all time directors to other stuff but still

Anyway I had a good time and I appreciated that in the Q+A that Richard Stanley came off as just as weird as you would expect

Also I agree with the aliens that pink is a cool color

(Edit: don’t think above posts are spoilery really but tagging just in case)

wandering on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Is it pink, or...

Magenta

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Chris Hemsworth was born to play a charismatic cult leader.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    You know, we've considered Daniel Craig having different accents in any Knives Out follow-up but have we considered *Knives Out ending spoiler*
    Chris Evans also being in each one, as the murderer, but playing a radically different character?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I watched Sweetheart last night. Boy does that take a nosedive when the third act hits. It’s very pretty, and shot well. To the point that it’s deceptive in that you think you’re watching a really “good” movie. Spoilers:
    It starts out like someone said “What if we made Cast Away, but it’s a horror movie with a female PoC (Kiersey Clemons, who is quite good) instead of Tom Hanks? We skip straight to her landing on the island, and right off the bat we let you know that things are sPoOoOoOokYyYyYy!” Which, yeah, that totally works, I’m on board! Then we introduce the horror aspect, and wow what a cool looking reveal. Good stuff!

And then ... the Whites show up and ruin everything. They stop the movie cold. The dialogue and acting become so, so bad. The decisions that characters make and their reactions to things are, with one minor exception, completely stupid. In short, it’s like an actual horror film now, where the dumb kid decides it’s a good idea to answer the door when he knows a slasher is on the loose preying on people that open doors. Anyways, BIG SECRETS and IMPORTANT CHARACTER DETAILS are given some cursory love, but they don’t quite work. Things go as they do in horror movies at this point, people make bad mistakes, the hero gets a Predator-esque final battle, and we’re done.
    Definitely not the best movie I’ve ever seen, certainly not the worst because there are things to like, but it just turns into a disappointment in the end. I felt like that gif of Tyra Banks going “We were rooting for you!!!” cuz it just drops the ball. Oh well.

Fawst on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Color Out Of Space is what you get when Annihilation makes a baby with the 1982 The Thing

Aaaaaaand sold.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    I watched Sweetheart last night. Boy does that take a nosedive when the third act hits. It’s very pretty, and shot well. To the point that it’s deceptive in that you think you’re watching a really “good” movie. Spoilers:
    It starts out like someone said “What if we made Cast Away, but it’s a horror movie with a female PoC (Kiersey Clemons, who is quite good) instead of Tom Hanks? We skip straight to her landing on the island, and right off the bat we let you know that things are sPoOoOoOokYyYyYy!” Which, yeah, that totally works, I’m on board! Then we introduce the horror aspect, and wow what a cool looking reveal. Good stuff!

And then ... the Whites show up and ruin everything. They stop the movie cold. The dialogue and acting become so, so bad. The decisions that characters make and their reactions to things are, with one minor exception, completely stupid. In short, it’s like an actual horror film now, where the dumb kid decides it’s a good idea to answer the door when he knows a slasher is on the loose preying on people that open doors. Anyways, BIG SECRETS and IMPORTANT CHARACTER DETAILS are given some cursory love, but they don’t quite work. Things go as they do in horror movies at this point, people make bad mistakes, the hero gets a Predator-esque final battle, and we’re done.
    Definitely not the best movie I’ve ever seen, certainly not the worst because there are things to like, but it just turns into a disappointment in the end. I felt like that gif of Tyra Banks going “We were rooting for you!!!” cuz it just drops the ball. Oh well.

1000% with everything you said.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Sundance kicks off today!

Get ready for all the glowing reviews for movies that are only really good in an exhausted, half drunk, already-watched-10-movies-today festival setting that you won't get to see for 3-9 months and will have forgotten already when it shows up on Netflix under a new name and it seems vaguely familiar!!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Nope!

• Options
    How does Color Out of Space hold up if you think that Mandy was the worst movie you've seen in the last five years?

Because I feel like every review I've seen has been comparing the two favorably, and that seems like a very bad sign to me personally.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    How does Color Out of Space hold up if you think that Mandy was the worst movie you've seen in the last five years?

Because I feel like every review I've seen has been comparing the two favorably, and that seems like a very bad sign to me personally.

Color Out Of Space actually opens with a title card that says "if you go by Straightzi on the Penny Arcade forums this movie isn't for you, get the fuck out of this theater." So they clearly thought of this.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Mandy was overall boring. It had some really cool parts and it was a pleasure to look at but the majority of the time I was bored.

• Options
    edited January 2020

I did not like Mandy much. Best I can say is if I had viewed at double the normal speed, I probably would have felt better or at least would have enjoyed it being shorter in the process. Cage is pretty good but the film needed more than that (and some good visuals/trippiness admittedly) to justify the issues. When the end credits rolled I felt fine with that being the last time I watched Mandy for a while

I didn’t at all get that from Color Out Of Space. For starters: Stuff happens, the tension isn’t slowed down to quarter-speed, and the second half is much more visually captivating. I didn’t come away bored at all. And when the end credits rolled I knew this was only my first of many viewings of Color Out Of Space

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    I guess I finally gotta watch Annihilation

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Yeah I keep eyeing Annihilation on Hulu

But I'm a scaredy cat, so I keep not pulling the trigger on it

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Do it

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Annihilation is deeply unsettling and creepy more than it is frightening. No jumpscares.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Mandy was overall boring. It had some really cool parts and it was a pleasure to look at but the majority of the time I was bored.

So just like Beyond The Black Rainbow, then?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Also I guess I've got a movie date night next week and we're gonna watch Parasite

• Options

It's not a jump scare kind of movie at all. I think there was one moment that caught me but other than that it's just a really well made atmospheric movie.

This discussion has been closed.