As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Operation Darkness dated for June 24th.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    this appears to be somewhat against the grain, so my apologies in advance, but.. if there were not dragons, walking skeletons, magic and powerups in WWII, why the need to use WWII as a setting for a JRPG featuring dragons, walking skeletons, magic and powerups?

Because it is fucking awesome.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    this appears to be somewhat against the grain, so my apologies in advance, but.. if there were not dragons, walking skeletons, magic and powerups in WWII, why the need to use WWII as a setting for a JRPG featuring dragons, walking skeletons, magic and powerups?

People like you are why I can't have nice things. We need some more 'crazy' games in a world filled with cookie cutter FPSs and RPGs. This looks like a JRPG that I might actually be interested in. Also, wasn't Shadow Hearts 2 was set in world War 1 or 2? I remember Japanazis of some form or another.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

People like you are why I can't have nice things. We need some more 'crazy' games in a world filled with cookie cutter FPSs and RPGs. This looks like a JRPG that I might actually be interested in. Also, wasn't Shadow Hearts 2 was set in world War 1 or 2? I remember Japanazis of some form or another.

World War 1.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Also, wasn't Shadow Hearts 2 was set in world War 1 or 2? I remember Japanazis of some form or another.

It was set in the World War 1 era, not that that mattered for much...... most..... almost all of Disc 1.
    Well, I suppose Anastasia and Rasputin demand a time dating, but the whole business of WW1 technology, the themes of WW1, what people might dress like, etc. are really not at all there past a few opening sequences.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    This was at the TGS as well. No one noticed it.

http://www.siliconera.com/2007/09/21/hands-on-operation-darkness/

Sheep on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Even if the game is just okay I'm going to be all over it for WW2 Werewolving vs. Zombie action.

Accualt on
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man I'm kinda scared because last time we had zombies and nazis in the same game, we got RTCW. Sure it was a shooter but still...

This game could potentially be good if they did it right.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Wienke wrote: »
    Man I'm kinda scared because last time we had zombies and nazis in the same game, we got RTCW. Sure it was a shooter but still...

This game could potentially be good if they did it right.

As long as I get to shout 'EAT LEAD, ZOMBIE WEREWOLF MECHA-HITLER!' at least once in the game this is so bought.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone else find it funny that Japan wants to revise reality and history in this game so they can beat up Nazis too?

It's like a new fad.

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Jules wrote: »
    Anyone else find it funny that Japan wants to revise reality and history in this game so they can beat up Nazis too?

It's like a new fad.

For some reason I'm reminded of this quote from the Simpsons-

Nelson - "You wrecked Hitler's car! What did he ever do to you?"

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yet another WW2 JRPG.

This post made me burst out laughing at work. Thanks.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Reading this thread has made me very upset overall. It's like you people don't even remember that the dragons were one of the Axis powers back during World War II. Sure, they became a part of OPEC and now Baglazan The Great has a seat at the UN and a Obeliskbassy in a dozen countries, but people are treating the subject of dragons as if they don't belong in a game about World War II. How soon we forget our enemies when they eventually become our allies.

For shame.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Yet another WW2 JRPG.

Lol I forgot I even made that poast way back when. But this thread reminded me that this game looks awesome. Hopefully they'll make a demo for this.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Reading this thread has made me very upset overall. It's like you people don't even remember that the dragons were one of the Axis powers back during World War II. Sure, they became a part of OPEC and now Baglazan The Great has a seat at the UN and a Obeliskbassy in a dozen countries, but people are treating the subject of dragons as if they don't belong in a game about World War II. How soon we forget our enemies when they eventually become our allies.

For shame.

My grandfather has a great story about how he was in a Sherman when they fought a dragon. If it weren't for that giant fist from the sky, they wouldn't have been able to outrun its fire breath. He said the 75mm gun didn't do that much, but the 76mm Sherman could actually pierce its scales.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

eh, it probably is just me. I just think if you're going to do WWII, then do WWII and at least make it somewhat relevant to it. If you want fantasy dragons and magic and monsters, do that. If necessary, create a setting for it. I just get a little irked when it looks like a writer's taken a novel idea (JRPG set in WWII, even an alternate-history WWII), and then thrown in a bunch of genre cliches (dragons and magic, and probably a bunch of other things too).
    That said, i'm fine with plenty of games that probably do the same thing, so i'm likely just being a jerk.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Because not everything cool happens in A) a post apocalyptic, dystopian near-future, B) ye olde medieval times, or C) ten hundred thousand years into the future.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

eh, it probably is just me. I just think if you're going to do WWII, then do WWII and at least make it somewhat relevant to it. If you want fantasy dragons and magic and monsters, do that. If necessary, create a setting for it. I just get a little irked when it looks like a writer's taken a novel idea (JRPG set in WWII, even an alternate-history WWII), and then thrown in a bunch of genre cliches (dragons and magic, and probably a bunch of other things too).
    That said, i'm fine with plenty of games that probably do the same thing, so i'm likely just being a jerk.

Eh, cmon', it's not like there aren't enough 'normal' WW2 games out there. Personally I'm sick of 95% of them, I'd like interesting/crazy/dumb adittions like dragons and such, I just want to find out how the devlopers explain why I'm fighting a magical Nazi Dragon as a Japanese schoolgirl in a tank. Even better if they didn't explain it, personally I love it when games just completey baffle me but are so damn cool I don't care, and am happy that they didn't waste precious development time trying to water down the game by rationalising everything. For example, God Hand. Wild West, demons, midgets, crotch kicking? Why? who cares why? It's awesome! Sorry to keep bringing up God Hand in every other discussion recentley but like the origonal Sonic and Mario games, they just made the game fun and entertaining at the start and just aded a story later, not the other way around, I just like to use it as an example as a game made just to be fun, what more games should be like these days instead of trying to hard to be serious and rational.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hope we can land on Omaha again.

Duki on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm not asking for serious or rational, i enjoy laughing at games and certainly get on fine with absurd situations that make absolutely no sense. Just something about taking WWII then needing to go "no, wait, we can't put dragons and magic into regular WWII, so we need an alternate version where these things happened" feels contrived, and that's always something that irks me. It feels like, rather than come up with mechanics that fit WWII, they've changed the story for the period it's set in, to fit the game they want to make. I'm okay with that in some instances and doses (hell, i'm fine with Wolfenstein before anyone mentions it), but in some cases it just rubs me the wrong way. BUT i'm not trying to convince anyone else not to like this or look forward to it, and like i said, i'm certainly not against absurd or incongruous situations, so i shall depart on a peaceable note with love and hugs for all.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Duki wrote: »
    And the fucking Nazi Kraken emerges from the depths as your landing craft approaches the beach.

Check that, make it MECHA Nazi Kraken

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

With an airship

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »

With a dragon

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »

With an airship

With an army of zombie werewolf nazis riding dragons joining the fray as re-enforcements.

With 'Hell march' from Red Alert 2 playing all the while.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »

For shame.

My grandfather has a great story about how he was in a Sherman when they fought a dragon. If it weren't for that giant fist from the sky, they wouldn't have been able to outrun its fire breath. He said the 75mm gun didn't do that much, but the 76mm Sherman could actually pierce its scales.

Honestly I've been sick of the subject since all those documentaries on the History channel about how German Jet Dragons might have changed the outcome of the war.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'd love to meet a senile old war vet who tells war stories like that.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yet another WW2 JRPG.

for serious.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm not asking for serious or rational, i enjoy laughing at games and certainly get on fine with absurd situations that make absolutely no sense. Just something about taking WWII then needing to go "no, wait, we can't put dragons and magic into regular WWII, so we need an alternate version where these things happened" feels contrived, and that's always something that irks me. It feels like, rather than come up with mechanics that fit WWII, they've changed the story for the period it's set in, to fit the game they want to make. I'm okay with that in some instances and doses (hell, i'm fine with Wolfenstein before anyone mentions it), but in some cases it just rubs me the wrong way. BUT i'm not trying to convince anyone else not to like this or look forward to it, and like i said, i'm certainly not against absurd or incongruous situations, so i shall depart on a peaceable note with love and hugs for all.

I disagreed with you at first, but now I actually get your point.

I'm still excited for this concept, but I'd also have enjoyed an rpg set in ww2 that wasn't over the top in cliches (not that I mind dragons AT ALL).

fair point.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Every single game ever does this, to some extent. In CoD you seem to have a mutant healing factor up there with Wolverine. In CoH your little men spawn from an HQ instead of being trucked in. For the Outfit you can have tanks airdropped in for a few hundred coins you collected off of dead Nazis. With BiA you can reload the last checkpoint. In Medal of Honor you have accuracy similar to that of someone using modern weapons. In Battlefield 1942 every soldier has the knowledge to shoot, drive, and fly every piece of equipment from WW2.

I'm just sayin' every game takes liberties with its source material in some way.

Man, that is a lot of WW2 games off the top of my head.

Accualt on
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I actually prefer the "over the top" style that this game is apparently taking, rather than that one WWII strategy game (Silent Storm? Something like that) that was a normal WWII game except at the end they added robots with lasers.

If you're going to do it, go all the way.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just for the record, I've been pushing really hard to get NIS to pick this up since I first saw it in Famitsu a few months ago. My boss talked to the developer and there are rumblings that multiple publishers are/were interested in it. So the odds of it coming stateside are pretty damn good. Though I am eternally sad that it won't be me working on it :(

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    Just for the record, I've been pushing really hard to get NIS to pick this up since I first saw it in Famitsu a few months ago. My boss talked to the developer and there are rumblings that multiple publishers are/were interested in it. So the odds of it coming stateside are pretty damn good. Though I am eternally sad that it won't be me working on it :(
    You have no other recourse, Houk.

You must kill them all and steal the rights to localize it.

Unless the Atlus guys pick it up. Killing them wouldn't be cool.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    I just got a bonner, no not a boner, but a fricken bonner!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    In Silent Storm, you have a crack squad of six who end up saving the world from an organization who:
    Discovered a downed UFO and used their technology to make fricken lasers.
    Manufactures personal Panzerkleins, which are basically mechas.
    Tries to blow up the world with a giant fricken laser from orbit.

In 1943.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't see the problem with an alternate history WWII... in fact it's a fairly untapped resource for RPGs. Consider me interested...

Though the separation of games for the PS3 and 360 is starting to make me twitch. One one side we get Persona and SMT 4 on the PS3, and this and Mass Effect on the 360...

Why can't everything just come out for the PS2 forever, until the end of time?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Do they remember they were on the losing side of this?

With the nazis?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This looks pretty fun and as someone mentioned it also gives off a certain Shadow Hearts vibe. I'll be following this.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

With the nazis?

Perhaps, although I expect that it is more fun to make a game where you get to go up against the one who is acknowledged as the enemy by most of the world. I mean, I just don't think the game would sell well (and it might get bad press) if you played on Hitler's side and took out the evil mechamericans with their evil zombies. It might be a bit of a downer when you got nuked and lost at the end, too ;)

(I realize your post wasn't meant to be taken seriously, I was just thinking about a game taken from the other side.)

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    schmads wrote: »

With the nazis?

Perhaps, although I expect that it is more fun to make a game where you get to go up against the one who is acknowledged as the enemy by most of the world. I mean, I just don't think the game would sell well (and it might get bad press) if you played on Hitler's side and took out the evil mechamericans with their evil zombies. It might be a bit of a downer when you got nuked and lost at the end, too ;)

(I realize your post wasn't meant to be taken seriously, I was just thinking about a game taken from the other side.)

i dunno..i could see a game where you fought evil mechaamericans selling pretty well everywhere but the USA..of course if they were ww2 mechamericans you'd be fighting their allies too..and that would probably cut sales

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Cheeks poking out from under miniskirt

Y halo thurr, historical inaccuracy.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    syrionsyrion Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think the weirdest thing about this game is the fact that apparently 1940s-era female supersoldiers had supernaturally good butts. Look at that concept art. It's frightening.

syrion on