As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Coronavirus] Thread - SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Another case in the US has been confirmed, this time in San Diego.

This one seems very controlled. Arrived last Wednesday to Miramar, which means they were evacuating people from Wuhan to San Diego under quarantine. That means that this particular individual has a very low probability of having spread this anywhere else and certainly contracted the virus in Wuhan. They've been relocated to UCSD medical center.

Still waiting to see if there's an uptick in international cases, but at this point they might just go unnoticed as standard flu.

Indeed, to be 100% clear this seems to be someone who was on an evacuation flight and was in quarantine since they stepped onto US soil. It's effectively showing "this is why the quarantine was a decent idea to help slow the spread and limit exposures"

CBS this morning reported that the new patient in San Diego was "mistakenly" released from the quarantine because they didnt show any symptoms and tested negative. They also said a second person from that flight has just started to show symptoms, and everyone else from the flight that is still in quarantine will be released tomorrow if they still show no symptoms.

To expand on this a little with UCSD's statements. The patient was mistakenly released from the UCSD medical center back to quarantine at Miramar after the CDC said they tested negative. The hospital said the patient was transported by federal Marshals back to Miramar on Sunday and then returned to the hospital on Monday and that all parties were wearing protective gear during the transit's per CDC recommendations

Yeah, I dont remember any of that being mentioned in the report

It's in the San Diego Union Tribune report on it.

Sure, but it's irresponsible for CBS to run a report at the top of the broadcast implying someone fucked up and risked the health of the general public. The vast majority of people will see a report from the news and never do any follow up on their own

100% agreed. People are understandably nervous and that's a terrible reporting job by CBS.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Apparently we have a name for the current virus.

It will be referred to as COVID-19, according to the WHO.

Immediate Google searches for the term "covid" reveals a company in Tempe, Arizona that's likely to be quite unhappy with this naming convention.

Weirdly their website seems to be running pretty slow right now...

They at least don't appear to be retail level at least.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    ceres wrote: »
    Unless you are a virologist or epidemiologist you guys can cool it with all this. You are probably not better enough at this to warrant the kind of hostility I'm seeing here.
    You are not going to find a virologist or epidemiologist opposed to quarantine in the case of a novel virus with epidemic potential. That alone should make a statement to laypeople questioning the necessity or wisdom of such measures.

Senna1 on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I apologize for an error in my previous post: Apparently COVID-19 is the name for the disease state. In something that I presume will cause some degree of confusion, the virus has been named severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 or SARS-CoV-2 by the international committee on Taxonomy of Viruses.
    Here, the Coronavirus Study Group (CSG) of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses, which is responsible for developing the official classification of viruses and taxa naming (taxonomy) of the Coronaviridae family, assessed the novelty of the human pathogen tentatively named 2019-nCoV. Based on phylogeny, taxonomy and established practice, the CSG formally recognizes this virus as a sister to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronaviruses (SARS-CoVs) of the species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus and designates it as severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).

So, SARS-CoV-2 for the virus, COVID-19 for the disease it causes.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I'm sure this will cause no confusion whatsoever.

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I'm sure this will cause no confusion whatsoever.

Yeah, it's not ideal.

I'm guessing people stick with calling everything COVID-19, since it's more distinct. I realize the naming convention the ICTV is using, but SARS-CoV-2 probably isn't going to get traction in the media.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i assume china is not going to be happy with this thing being named, in so many words, SARS-2, this time with more deaths

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    SARS-CoV-2 really rolls off the tongue

And definitely won’t just be shortened to SARS2

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

SARS 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I imagine literally everyone who isn't a virologist or epidemiologist will continue to call it coronavirus.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

I imagine literally everyone who isn't a virologist or epidemiologist will continue to call it coronavirus.

In the best case you might see people call it Coronavirus 19.

Which sounds like something out of a sci-fi show or comic book.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

SARS: 2 Fast 2 Fu-*hackhackcoughhack* bleh

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    COVID-19 sounds snappy and scary enough that I can see people starting to use it. Coronavirus as a general term has certainly embedded itself in the public consciousness, though.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    COVID is close enough to corvid to make me think this virus is too smart for it's own good.

Let's hope it doesnt learn how to use tools!

Veevee on
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Coronavirus or Wuhan coronavirus as I've been seeing it a lot. I just updated the thread title to include the official names for now, but I can change it again if it sticks in the public eye.

In other news, there are rumors that this dang virus has reached North Korea and has already caused an outbreak, but North Korea's controls on information are of course even tighter than that of China. It's hard to say if we'll ever fully know, but I can't imagine that any disease released into a malnourished population would be anything other than very bad.

• ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Apparently we have a name for the current virus.

It will be referred to as COVID-19, according to the WHO.

Immediate Google searches for the term "covid" reveals a company in Tempe, Arizona that's likely to be quite unhappy with this naming convention.

But the Corona beer company is probably pleased.

Over/under before we see ads featuring a good-looking person reaching for a Corona beer with the tagline 'Catch a Corona"?

8R7BtLw.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

Coronavirus or Wuhan coronavirus as I've been seeing it a lot. I just updated the thread title to include the official names for now, but I can change it again if it sticks in the public eye.

In other news, there are rumors that this dang virus has reached North Korea and has already caused an outbreak, but North Korea's controls on information are of course even tighter than that of China. It's hard to say if we'll ever fully know, but I can't imagine that any disease released into a malnourished population would be anything other than very bad.

The grim difference is that North Korea is willing and able to just commit mass murder to keep the virus contained, and we might not ever actually find out about it.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Covid sounds like corvid to me. Corvids are a scientific name for crows, which has a connotation of carrion eaters after many people are killed (like a battle). So that's fun.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    It seems like they should have neutral name designations like this ready to go like Hurricane names, not wait like two months and try to rename it after people have been calling it other things a million times.

I remember when this first started getting media, there were articles saying "Don't call it the Wuhan virus or the China virus" so then we kinda settled on coronavirus, which is already pretty neutral.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    It seems like they should have neutral name designations like this ready to go like Hurricane names, not wait like two months and try to rename it after people have been calling it other things a million times.

I remember when this first started getting media, there were articles saying "Don't call it the Wuhan virus or the China virus" so then we kinda settled on coronavirus, which is already pretty neutral.

The issue is that coronavirus is a broad class. It's like calling a snickers bar a rectangular candy. Technically true but not all rectangular candies are snickers bars.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Speaking of irresponsible, I was half-listening to a TV news report - not sure what network - while in a waiting room yesterday, and I heard a reporter nonchalantly refer to coronavirus as "[a] deadly virus."

I mean yes it is technically deadly, but your average news-watcher is going to hear "deadly" and think ebola, not flu. :confused:

"Deadly Virus" tends to get more attention on the headlines and the news cycle. That being said, by all accounts this thing is much more lethal than the flu.

It looks like the lethality stems from the impact it makes to the healthcare system. Once this thing takes off, there's just not enough people, equipment, or space to help everyone.

VuIBhrs.png
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular

The issue is that coronavirus is a broad class. It's like calling a snickers bar a rectangular candy. Technically true but not all rectangular candies are snickers bars.

people don't merely call it coronavirus, they call it the coronavirus

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited February 2020
    Another video from Dr. John Campbell. This one is interesting in the later half, where he steps through the evolution and symptoms of a specific case from infection to recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOOqSFZYwJk

Bottom line is that it's quite likely to take a month to clear, even for younger individuals.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Senna1 wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    Unless you are a virologist or epidemiologist you guys can cool it with all this. You are probably not better enough at this to warrant the kind of hostility I'm seeing here.
    You are not going to find a virologist or epidemiologist opposed to quarantine in the case of a novel virus with epidemic potential. That alone should make a statement to laypeople questioning the necessity or wisdom of such measures.

Depends which type you're talking about. Quarantining known infected patients, probably.

Travel bans and border closures, less so. They're of dubious effectiveness because they promote panic and hiding symptoms which makes it harder to address disease.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Another video from Dr. John Campbell. This one is interesting in the later half, where he steps through the evolution and symptoms of a specific case from infection to recovery.

Bottom line is that it's quite likely to take a month to clear, even for younger individuals.

A month to clear all symptoms AND test negative for the virus. Including 10 days of time when the guy didn't have any real symptoms at the start.

Effectively (assuming he became infected 10 days before)

10 days very mild symptoms, if any
    3 days with mild pnumonia, given not much other than monitoring and observation, likely would have recovered on a similar timescale with nothing or at home, then discharged
    12 days at home, test at the 12 day mark is negative for virus

Bottom line is that it takes 25 days from initial infection to be completely clear of any signs of the virus. The guy wasn't wracked with agony in hospital for a month. He was at home tapping his feet feeling fine and waiting to eliminate every trace of virus.

They did the right thing, but, if this was a flu virus (where, we just let people look after themselves and didn't worry about trying to contain the virus) he'd have gone back to work like 2 days after the pneumonia.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    True, he would've gone back to work after that time, but he probably would have infected a lot of people doing that. And probably infected a lot of people in the run up, too.

And some of them wouldn't have had nearly an easy time of it as him.

(Though I will note, his fever got pretty damn high for a while there. That couldn't have been any fun whatsoever.)

VuIBhrs.png
  • richpalrichpal Registered User new member
    PAX Australia contingency plan due to coronavirus still being a thing in October 2020. Only saying as the World Mobile Congress in Barcelona in February 24 has had a lot of well known companies, Intel , lg, amazon and sony to name a few who have pulled out from attending due to its impact on travelling.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    tbloxham wrote: »

A month to clear all symptoms AND test negative for the virus. Including 10 days of time when the guy didn't have any real symptoms at the start.

Effectively (assuming he became infected 10 days before)

10 days very mild symptoms, if any
    3 days with mild pnumonia, given not much other than monitoring and observation, likely would have recovered on a similar timescale with nothing or at home, then discharged
    12 days at home, test at the 12 day mark is negative for virus

Bottom line is that it takes 25 days from initial infection to be completely clear of any signs of the virus. The guy wasn't wracked with agony in hospital for a month. He was at home tapping his feet feeling fine and waiting to eliminate every trace of virus.

They did the right thing, but, if this was a flu virus (where, we just let people look after themselves and didn't worry about trying to contain the virus) he'd have gone back to work like 2 days after the pneumonia.

That makes me worry if this breaks out in the US how many people are out there that are getting mild pneumonia and staying out of work 3 or 4 days and going back.

Because honestly, 99% of people would not have gone to the doctor until when the pneumonia started and the fever shot up, if even then, and a lot of doctors would have just been like “I dunno, here take some antibiotics and call us if you get worse or aren’t better in a week”. Then 4 days later after the fever and pneumonia went away the person would be back to work, because the culture is if you aren’t dying you go to fucking work (and I understand in some cases, at my job if I’m not there and they don’t have time to line up a temporary replacement which can take a few days at least we lose 4 or 5 thousand dollars in production a day. It sucks to have to explain that to a boss, and “we lost 5 thousand dollars a day for 2 weeks because I had the sniffles” just isn’t going to cut it).

But it sounds like if this gets loose in America everyone without bad enough symptoms to need hospitalization are going to infect a shitton of people, because they are just not going to get appropriate healthcare to even detect the disease or take an appropriate amount of time off work.

Jealous Deva on
    That makes me worry if this breaks out in the US how many people are out there that are getting mild pneumonia and staying out of work 3 or 4 days and going back.

Because honestly, 99% of people would not have gone to the doctor until when the pneumonia started and the fever shot up, if even then, and a lot of doctors would have just been like “I dunno, here take some antibiotics and call us if you get worse or aren’t better in a week”. Then 4 days later after the fever and pneumonia went away the person would be back to work, because the culture is if you aren’t dying you go to fucking work (and I understand in some cases, at my job if I’m not there and they don’t have time to line up a temporary replacement which can take a few days at least we lose 4 or 5 thousand dollars in production a day. It sucks to have to explain that to a boss, and “we lost 5 thousand dollars a day for 2 weeks because I had the sniffles” just isn’t going to cut it).

But it sounds like if this gets loose in America everyone without bad enough symptoms to need hospitalization are going to infect a shitton of people, because they are just not going to get appropriate healthcare to even detect the disease or take an appropriate amount of time off work.

Agreed on all points. What's particularly distressing to me, though, is that even if you have fantastic medical care you're likely to go undetected. Right now they won't even consider testing you unless you've been to China recently, and even then, probably not unless you flew out of Wuhan. Considering how aggressively contagious the virus is, that's putting on some blinders for sure.

It's really obscured by how bad the flu season is this year. Taking into account the nearly-walking-corpses of people at my job who are actively sick but can't/won't go home, I wouldn't be surprised if this thing's been silently spreading for a week or more in the US.

VuIBhrs.png
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    richpal wrote: »
    PAX Australia contingency plan due to coronavirus still being a thing in October 2020. Only saying as the World Mobile Congress in Barcelona in February 24 has had a lot of well known companies, Intel , lg, amazon and sony to name a few who have pulled out from attending due to its impact on travelling.

What, no licking between fingers this time around?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Slate has an interview with the CEO of Covid. A number of his responses had me just thinking "there's a story about an 80's diet drug called Ayds you really should read."

On the flip side, he's at a trade show in Amsterdam, so at least he's somewhere where he can get something for the stress he's got to be dealing with.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

What, no licking between fingers this time around?

Dip the fingers in alcohol first. Win-win.

I wouldn't worry about going to a Pax-like event right now. Corona is the least of your worries in that scenario.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular

In a laboratory setting, yes. But out in the world among regular people, if you say "coronavirus" 100% of them are going to think you mean this one. It's a case where the popular use for a term is going to override the technical use.

I understand that stuff like the common cold and SARS are also types of coronavirus, but zero regular people were using that term outside of labs before this thing showed up and kinda claimed the term as its name.

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Yeah, but the WHO and CDC are real laboratory settings that interface with public health officials and scientists. Their naming conventions are for us, not your "regular folk", who continue to insist they caught "the flu" after having 48-hour food poisoning or an enterovirus.

I don't love the name they've picked, but viruses within a class today are USUALLY named after the places the originated or were isolated, and I suspect there were "political" reasons that isn't happening in this case.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Yeah, but the WHO and CDC are real laboratory settings that interface with public health officials and scientists. Their naming conventions are for us, not your "regular folk", who continue to insist they caught "the flu" after having 48-hour food poisoning or an enterovirus.

I don't love the name they've picked, but viruses within a class today are USUALLY named after the places the originated or were isolated, and I suspect there were "political" reasons that isn't happening in this case.

That practice ended after the response to MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome).

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular

As of right now they've fully cancelled Mobile World Congress (heard via co-workers as we usually send at least a few).

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/12/21127754/mwc-2020-canceled-coronavirus-trade-show-phone-mobile-world-congress-gsma-statement

Nothing. Matters.
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

That practice ended after the response to MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome).

They'd also created a narrower version of the rule after swine flu. A few countries culled entire herds of pig (every single pig in Egypt was put down, for example), even though the virus wasn't actually coming from pigs (it had jumped in Mexico years before the global outbreak and had been spreading human-to-human ever since). All the way back to German Measles, every time a disease is named this way the reaction is predictable and completely unhelpful.

Hevach on
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So is the virus Covid 19 or Sars cov 2?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    SARS2

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    So is the virus Covid 19 or Sars cov 2?

The virus is SARS Cov 2.

Being sick from it is Covid 19.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
This discussion has been closed.