As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Coronavirus] Thread - SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    This is the only thread I'm actually scared to click on and see new posts.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    More than 2,000 people have died from coronavirus across the globe, according to the latest figures released Tuesday.

The Hubei health authority reported that 132 more people died of the coronavirus in Hubei province on Tuesday, raising the death toll in the epicenter since the beginning of the coronavirus outbreak to 1,921.

The Hubei report brings the total number of deaths in mainland China to at least 2,000, and the global death toll to at least 2,005. There have been five deaths reported outside of mainland China with one death in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines and France.

That figure firmly puts this virus into "hasn't happened before in my lifetime" territory.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Rosetta@Home is starting to run projects to determine protein structures of SARS2 for drug targeting. It's a big project trying to run quickly so they recommend a PC with more than 16GB of RAM, but if you have that and want to help deal with this coronavirus, here's your chance.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    More than 2,000 people have died from coronavirus across the globe, according to the latest figures released Tuesday.

The Hubei health authority reported that 132 more people died of the coronavirus in Hubei province on Tuesday, raising the death toll in the epicenter since the beginning of the coronavirus outbreak to 1,921.

The Hubei report brings the total number of deaths in mainland China to at least 2,000, and the global death toll to at least 2,005. There have been five deaths reported outside of mainland China with one death in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines and France.

That figure firmly puts this virus into "hasn't happened before in my lifetime" territory.

Except for influenza every year. Though for a novel virus this one is pretty nasty. Though I will say I think most folks forgot how bad the last major Ebola outbreak was, that was 11,000+ dead. But for a virus that is more like SARs or Swine Flu this has been probably been the worst.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Except for influenza every year. Though for a novel virus this one is pretty nasty. Though I will say I think most folks forgot how bad the last major Ebola outbreak was, that was 11,000+ dead. But for a virus that is more like SARs or Swine Flu this has been probably been the worst.

And malaria every year. And Ebola. And norovirus every year. And hepatitis of all flavors.

If this virus spreads to the whole world, it will probably cause between 2 and about 120 million deaths, (depending on how often people catch it, even h1n1 only infected like 1/6 of the world population) mainly in developed countries where old people are present in larger numbers. The upper limit is incredibly unlikely, and the lower limit is far more likely, which would place it on par with a few years of Malaria deaths, or the most deadly flus excluding Spanish flu.

The last piece of the viral puzzle is really how often people are infected by the virus, especially old people. We only really know the case fatality rate now, we dont know how social behaviours would affect the spread of disease and inform how many would be infected. It seems likely it would be on the lower end, but, it does hang out for a long time in an asymptomatic way. The question of course, is how infectious is it while you aren't showing symptoms for the 90th percentile infectious person.

edit - Its also definately not worse than Swine flu yet, Flu kills 1.6 million or so worldwide most years (80k in the US alone), and H1N1 had a higher death toll than usual by a factor of 2 or so.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Apparently an old malaria drug chloroquine works against the disease that is caused by the virus.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-02/17/c_138792545.htm

It has also been posted on the Dutch news.
    But a vaccine is still a long way off.

That's weird as shit. It almost has to be addressing symptoms, right? An anti parasitic probably won't do much to a virus.

(Not that addressing symptoms isn't worthwhile; it's the best treatment for a lot of things. Relieve the pressure on the body and let the immune system go ham)

I'm not clicking on the sketchy link up there, but

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-020-0282-0
    Chloroquine, a widely-used anti-malarial and autoimmune disease drug, has recently been reported as a potential broad-spectrum antiviral drug. Chloroquine is known to block virus infection by increasing endosomal pH required for virus/cell fusion, as well as interfering with the glycosylation of cellular receptors of SARS-CoV. Our time-of-addition assay demonstrated that chloroquine functioned at both entry, and at post-entry stages of the 2019-nCoV infection in Vero E6 cells (Fig. 1c, d). Besides its antiviral activity, chloroquine has an immune-modulating activity, which may synergistically enhance its antiviral effect in vivo. Chloroquine is widely distributed in the whole body, including lung, after oral administration. The EC90 value of chloroquine against the 2019-nCoV in Vero E6 cells was 6.90 μM, which can be clinically achievable as demonstrated in the plasma of rheumatoid arthritis patients who received 500 mg administration. Chloroquine is a cheap and a safe drug that has been used for more than 70 years and, therefore, it is potentially clinically applicable against the 2019-nCoV.

If it works as an autoimmune drug and cytokine storms are happening from this that might have something to do with it as well.

Cytokine storms are by far your favorite Virus Symptom Giggles_Funsworth.

For this virus it is showing the classic distribution of risk factors, overwhelmingly targetting the elderly, the immunocompromized and those with other pre-existing risk factors. While those young people who do die may be experiencing some level of immune over response the vast majority of those dying are just getting plain old pnumonia because their immune system is dealing with a new virus they've never seen before and they can't clear it fast enough.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Rosetta@Home is starting to run projects to determine protein structures of SARS2 for drug targeting. It's a big project trying to run quickly so they recommend a PC with more than 16GB of RAM, but if you have that and want to help deal with this coronavirus, here's your chance.

I have that and I barely fucking use the thing!

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Apparently an old malaria drug chloroquine works against the disease that is caused by the virus.

That's weird as shit. It almost has to be addressing symptoms, right? An anti parasitic probably won't do much to a virus.

(Not that addressing symptoms isn't worthwhile; it's the best treatment for a lot of things. Relieve the pressure on the body and let the immune system go ham)

Chloroquine, a widely-used anti-malarial and autoimmune disease drug, has recently been reported as a potential broad-spectrum antiviral drug. Chloroquine is known to block virus infection by increasing endosomal pH required for virus/cell fusion, as well as interfering with the glycosylation of cellular receptors of SARS-CoV. Our time-of-addition assay demonstrated that chloroquine functioned at both entry, and at post-entry stages of the 2019-nCoV infection in Vero E6 cells (Fig. 1c, d). Besides its antiviral activity, chloroquine has an immune-modulating activity, which may synergistically enhance its antiviral effect in vivo. Chloroquine is widely distributed in the whole body, including lung, after oral administration. The EC90 value of chloroquine against the 2019-nCoV in Vero E6 cells was 6.90 μM, which can be clinically achievable as demonstrated in the plasma of rheumatoid arthritis patients who received 500 mg administration. Chloroquine is a cheap and a safe drug that has been used for more than 70 years and, therefore, it is potentially clinically applicable against the 2019-nCoV.

If it works as an autoimmune drug and cytokine storms are happening from this that might have something to do with it as well.

For this virus it is showing the classic distribution of risk factors, overwhelmingly targetting the elderly, the immunocompromized and those with other pre-existing risk factors. While those young people who do die may be experiencing some level of immune over response the vast majority of those dying are just getting plain old pnumonia because their immune system is dealing with a new virus they've never seen before and they can't clear it fast enough.

It's the one I fucking worry about the most because I got a generally strong immune system and also some autoimmune disorders.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Seems there has been a recent rash of anti-Asian sentiment (plus outright discrimination with some businesses like hotels turning away Asian looking people) and even assaults in the news regarding the spread of the coronavirus. Not too surprising. Humans fear what they don't understand, and the constant bombardment of coverage for the coronavirus in the media has been nonstop, so mix in stupidity and the results are pretty obvious there.

Speaking as an Asian American who was out and about recently traveling abroad (flying, specifically) on business (not by choice), I haven't noticed any discrimination levied against me personally. Just pointed questions about whether or not I've traveled to or through China recently (I haven't) but that's par for the course.

I saw lots of folks wearing facial masks and stores being sold out of masks most everywhere. Even the medical clinic near where I live has limited face masks to only 1 per person and ensured that folks only receive them when asked at the front desk (no more honor system).

I haven't bothered with masks despite my parents worrying and insisting that I should wear one, but I have been hand washing and using hand sanitizer whenever possible. I've read that even face masks are of limited use anyway, and are only really helpful when you're sick already and trying to limit exposure of disease to others.

• Options
    edited February 2020

It's the one I fucking worry about the most because I got a generally strong immune system and also some autoimmune disorders.

edit - I'm speculating about things which aren't the virus again! This isn't the, "tbloxham rambles about statistics thread"

tbloxham on
  • Options
    So I just set up the thing and my computer is now working on sequencing proteins or whatever.

In case anybody else wants to do this, once you install BOINC and run it for the first time it'll ask you to select a project. There isn't actually one for COVID-19, it's just part of the bundle of Rosetta@Home projects which can be found under the Biology and Medical drop down.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Mazzyx wrote: »

And malaria every year. And Ebola. And norovirus every year. And hepatitis of all flavors.

If this virus spreads to the whole world, it will probably cause between 2 and about 120 million deaths, (depending on how often people catch it, even h1n1 only infected like 1/6 of the world population) mainly in developed countries where old people are present in larger numbers. The upper limit is incredibly unlikely, and the lower limit is far more likely, which would place it on par with a few years of Malaria deaths, or the most deadly flus excluding Spanish flu.

The last piece of the viral puzzle is really how often people are infected by the virus, especially old people. We only really know the case fatality rate now, we dont know how social behaviours would affect the spread of disease and inform how many would be infected. It seems likely it would be on the lower end, but, it does hang out for a long time in an asymptomatic way. The question of course, is how infectious is it while you aren't showing symptoms for the 90th percentile infectious person.

edit - Its also definately not worse than Swine flu yet, Flu kills 1.6 million or so worldwide most years (80k in the US alone), and H1N1 had a higher death toll than usual by a factor of 2 or so.

Ebola is pretty damn scary. People talk about it being an Africa problem because it burns through people so fast, but there was literally an outbreak in Virginia in the 1990s, it just coincidentally turned out to be a weaker strain that didn’t cause lethal symptoms in humans. If that had been full blown ebola instead of weaksauce ebola (again just total coincidence) breaking out that close to DC and the east coast we could have easilly had tens of thousands of deaths if not more.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Hundreds of deaths, maybe, but not tens of thousands. Again, the fatality of Ebola is caused by dehydration; in the 1990s they would've had plenty of IVs to get fluids back into people. They also would've had plenty of other facilities that still aren't available in poor areas of Africa. Air conditioning, for instance, which would make the full body suits of nurses and doctors much more tolerable, not having to wear that in tropical heat, and crematoriums so people wouldn't have to worry about disease being spread through burials. It would've been a panic, sure, while people figure out the full containment, and the first line of unwitting medical staff may have been hit hard, but it wouldn't have been some nation-shattering event.

It's also much, much less contagious than SARS2. Ebola burns itself out pretty quickly; the West African outbreak burned itself out and only a few instances (such as the intervention of Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh in Nigeria, which cost her life) did much to curb it. Guinea didn't do anything and Sierra Leone actively hampered efforts with its denialism and both of those outbreaks ended at about the same time as Liberia's, the only country that even tried to be honest about its numbers and do something about it. Ebola spread itself mostly through super-spreader incidents (particularly a few funerals) and it's much harder to catch casually, since someone has to come in contact with the fluid from someone infected, and can't just pass through the airspace one of them coughed into.

I was the unofficial Ebola panic poster of the board. I did a lot of news watching and reading about it during the West African outbreak. I've been trying to monitor the Kivu epidemic too but there's so little news out of it. Now that we are actually at a point where there are facts, and we can look at those facts, Ebola isn't as scary as it was when it was such an unknown that media sensationalism was just about as valid as anything a doctor could say.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Hundreds of deaths, maybe, but not tens of thousands. Again, the fatality of Ebola is caused by dehydration; in the 1990s they would've had plenty of IVs to get fluids back into people. They also would've had plenty of other facilities that still aren't available in poor areas of Africa. Air conditioning, for instance, which would make the full body suits of nurses and doctors much more tolerable, not having to wear that in tropical heat, and crematoriums so people wouldn't have to worry about disease being spread through burials. It would've been a panic, sure, while people figure out the full containment, and the first line of unwitting medical staff may have been hit hard, but it wouldn't have been some nation-shattering event.

It's also much, much less contagious than SARS2. Ebola burns itself out pretty quickly; the West African outbreak burned itself out and only a few instances (such as the intervention of Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh in Nigeria, which cost her life) did much to curb it. Guinea didn't do anything and Sierra Leone actively hampered efforts with its denialism and both of those outbreaks ended at about the same time as Liberia's, the only country that even tried to be honest about its numbers and do something about it. Ebola spread itself mostly through super-spreader incidents (particularly a few funerals) and it's much harder to catch casually, since someone has to come in contact with the fluid from someone infected, and can't just pass through the airspace one of them coughed into.

I was the unofficial Ebola panic poster of the board. I did a lot of news watching and reading about it during the West African outbreak. I've been trying to monitor the Kivu epidemic too but there's so little news out of it. Now that we are actually at a point where there are facts, and we can look at those facts, Ebola isn't as scary as it was when it was such an unknown that media sensationalism was just about as valid as anything a doctor could say.

Ebola is massively infectious, requiring a very small viral load to infect you, however, people tend to not be infectious until the (rather terrifying) symptoms are quite apparent. Meaning there is massive risk to caregivers, family members and children. In a 1st world country with a strong hospital network transmission would be hard to build up, and it's so lethal so quickly once symptoms begin that it can burn itself out.

Ebola would be a terrible virus if we didnt understand germ theory. However, it's like the poster child for "how diseases work and spread" for that with no clever tricks to play on the spreading front.

• Options
    Raiju wrote: »
    Seems there has been a recent rash of anti-Asian sentiment (plus outright discrimination with some businesses like hotels turning away Asian looking people) and even assaults in the news regarding the spread of the coronavirus. Not too surprising. Humans fear what they don't understand, and the constant bombardment of coverage for the coronavirus in the media has been nonstop, so mix in stupidity and the results are pretty obvious there.

Speaking as an Asian American who was out and about recently traveling abroad (flying, specifically) on business (not by choice), I haven't noticed any discrimination levied against me personally. Just pointed questions about whether or not I've traveled to or through China recently (I haven't) but that's par for the course.

I saw lots of folks wearing facial masks and stores being sold out of masks most everywhere. Even the medical clinic near where I live has limited face masks to only 1 per person and ensured that folks only receive them when asked at the front desk (no more honor system).

I haven't bothered with masks despite my parents worrying and insisting that I should wear one, but I have been hand washing and using hand sanitizer whenever possible. I've read that even face masks are of limited use anyway, and are only really helpful when you're sick already and trying to limit exposure of disease to others.

Masks are the solution to

"I know I'm sick but my boss is forcing me to work and if I dont I'll be fired"

In that case, use a mask. They will slow your spread of any virus, but, good handwashing and regular mask changes are still needed.

Masks do help a little bit for the uninfected because they limit the number of times you touch your nose and mouth, which is a surprisingly common vector for even flulike viruses. They dont do a great job of actually filtering viruses from air, because there are too many little holes between your face and the mask.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

In that case, use a mask. They will slow your spread of any virus, but, good handwashing and regular mask changes are still needed.

Masks do help a little bit for the uninfected because they limit the number of times you touch your nose and mouth, which is a surprisingly common vector for even flulike viruses. They dont do a great job of actually filtering viruses from air, because there are too many little holes between your face and the mask.

We really gotta get on making fashionable and lightweight respirators/filters for every day use.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

We really gotta get on making fashionable and lightweight respirators/filters for every day use.

we have them!

not fashionable though I guess

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

Also a great conversation piece. "Why are you wearing a mask?" "Because I'm still infectious, but my boss made me come to work anyway!"

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

Also a great conversation piece. "Why are you wearing a mask?" "Because I'm still infectious, but my boss made me come to work anyway!"

especially if you like short conversations

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

Cybergoths are ahead of the curve here, clearly

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Personally, I'd argue that we need to make it fashionable to not let shitwit employers have any way whatsoever to coerce workers to come in sick.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

As a practical matter many workplaces will ban you from wearing a mask.

Also the ones you want to avoid infection are respirators, and unless you're going full powered those are a bitch to wear long term. And rely on getting the fit just right, otherwise they're only a little better than a surgical mask. J. Random is going to have a hard time using them correctly.

In facepalm news, I took Mom to the doctor yesterday. Her cardiologist. The counter out front has signs asking you to report certain symptoms to them as you check in which, fine.

Then the doctor comes in wearing a mask. Because he has a cold. He had an assistant with him, who didn't handle a thing. The sick doctor did all the hands on stuff. And didn't clean his hands on the way out. Genius move guys. Odds are it was a regular flavor cold, but that's still a bad idea!

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    My line of work requires me to wear a full-face respirator on occasion. And usually for a duration of an hour or more at a time.

Believe me, that isn't fun. It's hot and nasty and uncomfortable, but it beats inhaling toxic fumes and particulate matter. Also, it needs to be professionally calibrated one a year to ensure that we're operating to OSHA standards, and that the respirator functions as intended. They make you wear it and go through a series of stretches and motions while measuring airflow, to ensure the seal is maintained. They also do spirometry, because if your lungs aren't up to it, wearing a respirator is a bad idea.

So, yeah, while respirators offer fuller protection, I don't see them being a long term/External society option.

... Also, what the heck, again with the doctors spreading sickness.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    My line of work requires me to wear a full-face respirator on occasion. And usually for a duration of an hour or more at a time.

Believe me, that isn't fun. It's hot and nasty and uncomfortable, but it beats inhaling toxic fumes and particulate matter. Also, it needs to be professionally calibrated one a year to ensure that we're operating to OSHA standards, and that the respirator functions as intended. They make you wear it and go through a series of stretches and motions while measuring airflow, to ensure the seal is maintained. They also do spirometry, because if your lungs aren't up to it, wearing a respirator is a bad idea.

So, yeah, while respirators offer fuller protection, I don't see them being a long term/External society option.

A lot of industrial filters are effective against virus transmission.
    They are also more comfortable for long-term wear than the disposable masks.

• Options

Those are the filters used in the full face masks being referenced. N95 and P100 filters come in anything from disposable facemasks to full face powered respirators. It's a filter rating not a type.

I've also had to do the calibration thing. The stuff they use to test whether the mask is leaking is disgusting.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    So uh. Now for something completely out of left field. But this is D&D, so we're used to the threads leaking into each other, right?

Apparently China is using My Little Pony via Weibo to get out the word about COVID-19, including tips on proper mask fitting, home isolation, coughing and sneezing etiquette, and food preparation. If you are curious, you can find the images they're circulating via that link.

It's only the middle of February, but 2020's a bit much for me already.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    o_O

I guess the magic of friendship won't uninfect you so some precautionary measures are in order.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Those are the filters used in the full face masks being referenced. N95 and P100 filters come in anything from disposable facemasks to full face powered respirators. It's a filter rating not a type.

I've also had to do the calibration thing. The stuff they use to test whether the mask is leaking is disgusting.

Which is, of course, the point. I'm told that in (some) advanced Army training courses, they use tear gas and other live chemical agents. That's the sort of thing that will teach you to get your gear on and secure with a quickness.

• Options
    edited February 2020

Which is, of course, the point. I'm told that in (some) advanced Army training courses, they use tear gas and other live chemical agents. That's the sort of thing that will teach you to get your gear on and secure with a quickness.

I forgot to mention they dose you with it without the mask first so you know what you're looking for.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

How about a mask with your own face on it

https://faceidmasks.com/#about

6rlpuvqpnzha.jpg

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2020
    Can I get one with someone else's face

The second the virus shows up here, if it does, we're done eating out for quite a while. Half this place is food service and I know people will need to go into work anyway.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    That's creepy as shit from the front I don't want to know how stretched and horrible it looks from the side.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

we have them!

Or comfortable. Like, there's a reason they make you do an exercise test when you are wearing one, and issue you a powered one if you show signs of respiratory distress. Breathing through the holes in a properly fitted mask is hard work.

In reality, for this virus, the people who CAN wear a close fitting unpowered mask to prevent infection (healthy adults) don't need them, and those who need them (elderly people, espescially those with respiratory distress) can't wear them.

But again, masks mainly work for "I don't want to catch this thing", by making you not touch your nose and mouth. And they work well for "I don't want to spread my germs" albeit not as well as "I'm just gonna stay home"

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

we have them!

Or comfortable. Like, there's a reason they make you do an exercise test when you are wearing one, and issue you a powered one if you show signs of respiratory distress. Breathing through the holes in a properly fitted mask is hard work.

In reality, for this virus, the people who CAN wear a close fitting unpowered mask to prevent infection (healthy adults) don't need them, and those who need them (elderly people, espescially those with respiratory distress) can't wear them.

But again, masks mainly work for "I don't want to catch this thing", by making you not touch your nose and mouth. And they work well for "I don't want to spread my germs" albeit not as well as "I'm just gonna stay home"

ahh fair enough

I've never had a problem with one, but I never attributed it to my relative youth and health. I just figured the mask wasn't that hard to breath through because it was how it was designed.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    And people thought the pug face shirt was bad...

• Options
    Did you get a fit test done? And was it a respirator, not just a surgical mask?

The first because if it doesn't fit right you'll just breath out the sides which makes it less effective but easier to breathe through.

• Options
    Did you get a fit test done? And was it a respirator, not just a surgical mask?

The first because if it doesn't fit right you'll just breath out the sides which makes it less effective but easier to breathe through.

for me?

it was one of those ones where there are a couple replaceable filters on the sides that you use for painting. Not the surgical mask kind with the tab in front (though I do use those when using a router or sander).

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    So China has expelled three WSJ journalists because WSJ published an opinion piece on the virus. This is the stuff that isn't helping CCP's credibility.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »

The second the virus shows up here, if it does, we're done eating out for quite a while. Half this place is food service and I know people will need to go into work anyway.

100% this. Up until recently I had a part time job delivering pizza so I know what it's like from 'behind the counter' as it were. Between working there and talking to other people in similar industry it's a mix-and-match of
    A: Attendance policy will cost you your job
    B: Even if attendance policy is more lenient than some, most of these places operate on bare bones staff so you feel guilty 'screwing' your coworkers by calling out cause you know how rough it will be for them with even just one person missing
    C: You can't afford to call out anyways

This discussion has been closed.