As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Now Witness the Firepower of this Fully Armed and Operational Warmind!

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I wonder if Trials will disappear at the end of next season.

Bungie didn't hesitate to remove Trials once already, and this is the year of ephemeral content.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    That would certainly be the most effective way to piss off the already on edge PvP community

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I still feel Trials is....not as big a deal to the average player as a small niche community.

It never should've been taken away from them, but....

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Idk, it's easily the thing that most people watched on Twitch back in the day. Like it or not, Trials drew eyes towards Destiny as a legitimate competitive game. They single-handedly threw that away with the release of D2, where Trials landed like a wet thud in that engine and meta.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I did some elimination a couple of days ago, and it was sweatier than I remember, by a good amount. And, no contest, the most snipers you’ll see in any playlist.

I'm still figuring this whole game out, but the highlight of my evening a few days ago was lobbing rockets at this one sniping invader in Gambit, and he was too scoped in to see them coming.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Idk, it's easily the thing that most people watched on Twitch back in the day. Like it or not, Trials drew eyes towards Destiny as a legitimate competitive game. They single-handedly threw that away with the release of D2, where Trials landed like a wet thud in that engine and meta.

Meta mostly, same engine. Updated, but the same.

The meta definitely sucked the life out of Trials the most, though, agree wholeheartedly.

I think Trials will be more successful than comp, especially if they make it only available during the weekend like before. At least for people watching on Twitch.

If they have the cards and can lose a bit, too, it'll help.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I'm not certain that Trials coming back would be any rabidly more successful than original D2 Trials other than the fact that the gameplay is more exciting for one-shot kills and wacky reversals than Team Shot Positioning Game.

I think the fervor of D1 Trials was lightning that won't be bottled again.

Part of that is my own feelings on Trials, I'm sure. I'm not overly eager for Trials, because my playstyle is way less adept at Elimination than 6v6. Survival is about the edge of where I am effective.

What I do think Trials brings is a weekly routine that can offer neat incentives to play PVP, which has been missing from PVP (particularly with the changes to Pinnacles). I'll like having a gear chase that requires PVP dedication. But, I'm apprehensive as hell for both treating it as the second coming, and also for Elimination to once again be the home of super-sweaty play and the diminishing number of viable choices due to the play format of that mode.

Edit: Like I'd love Trials how Comp rotated playlist styles for a bit, I enjoy that aspect more than just one skill/trick ponies.

Zombie Gandhi on
  • Options
    Idk, I complained a whole lot about Trials but it's still my most fond memories. Each visit to the lighthouse was hard fought and well earned.

https://youtu.be/obxCuAKj67g

I can't wait to play Trials again :whistle:

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Trials coming back is when I'll most miss having a group of friends to always play with.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We're all friendly!

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Idk, I complained a whole lot about Trials but it's still my most fond memories. Each visit to the lighthouse was hard fought and well earned.

https://youtu.be/obxCuAKj67g

I can't wait to play Trials again :whistle:

*watches first minute*

The Mercury landing cutscene is everything about what made Trials special. It's solemn, majestic, lonely. You underwent the Trials and emerged flawless, but your own self-perceived glory is nothing to the blinding light of the massive sun across the horizon.

And Bungie actually removed that custscene.

• Options
    If there's no cutscene, I'm gonna riot

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I loved the (3?) times I went to the Lighthouse.
    I despised the (many?) times I nearly went to the Lighthouse and got screwed by lack of matchmaking, DDOS/app crashes, high stress, "bullshit," and (being a parent).

The highs broadly exceed the lows. But those lows are real damn bad. And we don't see as much of those lows right now in most Comp play, but they'll be back in force for Trials.

Overall, I think Trials coming back would be a net win, don't get me wrong. I'll just be disappointed by having all the eggs in one basket alongside the return of a mode where a single loss regardless of cause sets you back a nights worth of play or whatever.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I never went flawless. Never even got close, really.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    I think I counted all my flawless one time, I had around 35 flawless in D1 and 7 in D2.

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    High level PC comp: An observation
    - Revoker sucks. Makes it too easy to just lane forever
    - Contraverse also sucks. Seriously goddamn broken
    - Bungie's matchmaking algorithm is busted. If I get drubbed in a match, and the next queue is the exact same players, maybe mix them up? How do you think the exact same team composition is going to go?

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    Here's a Revoker fix: make it so you only get one refunded per shot. So if you miss, you get it back once, miss again and it's gone. It still gives you effectively double ammo, but isn't infinite.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I don't disagree but it only helps you when you miss, are people out here missing that much? Is it that much worse to have someone laning with a Revoker than any other sniper?

• Options
    It is the perfect sniper to practice sniping/headshots with if you need it, since other than dying it's low risk. It's a good gun for Comp if you need to learn lanes, too.

I prefer Arbalest for the insane Aim Assist, it's better to hit than miss first time lol

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Revoker is the best counter to arbalest. Revoker snipers can just peek for milliseconds and take a prayer shot and hope to murder you

Arbalest has like zero counter play to lane against a revoker who is willing to take pot shots

But yeah basically people don’t miss a ton at high level play when using regular snipers but you’ll see them take crazier shots and be more aggressive and oppressive and it’s revoker

I wonder how they will balance trials and comp? Like will both playlists exist on the weekend? Is there enough players for that?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I would think the smart play is Comp disappears each weekend to be replaced by Trials, all Trials progress helps you in Comp. Not sure about how matchmaking should work.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Maybe during weekends comp switches to elim and you can decide whether or not you want to pick up a trials card? There’s no reason that someone with a card has to play someone else with a card?

Unrelated I’d like to see trials work like glory ranks. Everyone starts at the lowest rank, each flawless run pushes you to the next rank, you only play folks in your own rank.

Eventually as better players move up more folks will be able to Go flawless in the lower ranks.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I don't disagree but it only helps you when you miss, are people out here missing that much? Is it that much worse to have someone laning with a Revoker than any other sniper?

I have no PvP metric, but I miss a lot in PvE unless the enemies are all at range or my weapon has ammo that explodes on contact (like explosive rounds or arrows) that does splash damage.

I mean, I still like sniper rifles and other long range weapons but I have to be medium distance at a minimum to track and hit anything at all.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    If I could have a sniper rifle with a short-ass scope so I didn't feel like I was looking through a pringles can then I'd probably be a better sniper.

• Options
    Took a break and played Apex for a while, came back for some casual PvP and this should be fu-

2q6vv6ats7kh.png

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Killing 'em with kidness, also a uh, tiny dk lsr?

• Options
    I think he was trying to get around a comms ban by skipping letters lol

Jokes on him, each message makes me stronger, like a samurai sword folded a thousand times over

• Options
    Some of us can only put hours and hours into the game on weekends and wouldn't appreciate comp going away.

• Options
    I don't think they'll get rid of comp, but it'll definitely be rough during Trials. Just people warming up for Trials cards probably.

• Options
    Also can I just say how much they need to make chat opt in at high level comp. Screaming at my teammate for never using his super when everyone else is popping off every other round is just....ugh.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »
    Also can I just say how much they need to make chat opt in at high level comp. Screaming at my teammate for never using his super when everyone else is popping off every other round is just....ugh.

Look, sometimes it's better to save the Super for something more important and let your Traveler's Chosen do the talking instead.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Catalase wrote: »

Look, sometimes it's better to save the Super for something more important and let your Traveler's Chosen do the talking instead.
    My inability to get a win even when I'm not sandbagging a team says otherwise. Haven't been this salty at a game in years

Catalase on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Well when life gives you salt, make french fries.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    No, no. Make preserved meat out of your team mates.

Speaking of which, if a guardian with a functional ghost were prepared as long pork, would the meat disappear after their resurrection?

What if you ate them first. What about the bits you digested?

Or if not emergency rations, could we use kinderguardians as building material?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Why would tiny DK be an insult? I'd love to have a tiny pet Donkey Kong, that sounds awesome.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I think there's a lot of lore potential in further examining Guardian and normal human interactions. Does blood transfusion or organ transplants from a Guardian work in a normal person, for example.

• Options
    @Local H Jay if you’re around, we’re doing a Telesto catalyst run.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    @Local H Jay if you’re around, we’re doing a Telesto catalyst run.

God damnit, ok

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    While I'm glad they're looking to add trials back in, I worry that it's just too late to matter. Three years in, nearly everyone I used to run cards with has left, and all of the streamers have moved on to other games. D1 trials used to hold Destiny in the #1 or 2 slot in Twitch over the weekend; now it's lucky to crack the top 20.

Trials was already suffering from a winnowing of players. High-level comp these days is fucking awful. I worry Trials will be the same unless they find a dramatic way to incentivize a broader player engagement, and their track record on that is... not inspiring.

• Options
    "Local H Jay" if you’re around, we’re doing a Telesto catalyst run.

God damnit, ok

5 people in our run didn’t have the catalyst, and 0 of them saw it drop during the full run. Pretty poor drop rate.

smCQ5WE.jpg