As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Now Witness the Firepower of this Fully Armed and Operational Warmind!

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    The new old hotness is Old Fashioned baby

Why is that, if you don't mind my asking? Stat-wise it really doesn't stand out amongst hand cannons.

Is it the fact that it can roll with quick draw?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    The new old hotness is Old Fashioned baby

Why is that, if you don't mind my asking? Stat-wise it really doesn't stand out amongst hand cannons.

Is it the fact that it can roll with quick draw?

It just feels good, idk. Gunfeel and all that. Plus you can fire it from the hip pretty reliably so Quickdraw + Hipfire Grip = baby Last Word that pairs well with a grenade launcher like Fighting Lion

https://youtu.be/l2XlZIDc2WI

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Apropos of the above, as per the very existence of CoolGuy's Content Creator career, the information provided to players regarding a weapon's functionality is at best a suggestive facade and at worst an outright deception.

I accept that Bungie wants players to "feel" the truth of a weapon's utility, but I think they need to consider a dramatic overhaul of both Perk descriptions (for clarity and transparency) and possibly scrapping the stat-bar graphs, which seem to lead players astray more than help.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I'm taking a quick look around and I can't find the numbers on what Under Pressure even does

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's just my abysmal aim, but I haven't found any use for fusion rifles in PvE. I only equip one (the linear kind) when there's a bounty for it, and keep it on only long enough to grind out the mod part and small yellow crystal as payment for my annoyance.

In my personal experience they have not enough ammo, require some measure of accuracy, and they seem to be intended for close range which I avoid at all costs if I can.

There's a Vanguard pinnacle quest from a couple of seasons ago (are those still available?) for an FR the name of which I've now forgotten. It has a perk on it such that if it's fully loaded it does extra damage and whatever you shot has an AoE burst of arc damage on everything around it. I wasn't much for FRs in PvE prior to getting it but that thing is an absolute beast for PvE. Destroys yellow bars and can vaporize an entire crowd of mooks in one shot.

Oh, it also has the perk where it reloads itself when not equipped. So it's always ready to destroy whatever it's pointed at.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if it's just my abysmal aim, but I haven't found any use for fusion rifles in PvE. I only equip one (the linear kind) when there's a bounty for it, and keep it on only long enough to grind out the mod part and small yellow crystal as payment for my annoyance.

In my personal experience they have not enough ammo, require some measure of accuracy, and they seem to be intended for close range which I avoid at all costs if I can.

There's a Vanguard pinnacle quest from a couple of seasons ago (are those still available?) for an FR the name of which I've now forgotten. It has a perk on it such that if it's fully loaded it does extra damage and whatever you shot has an AoE burst of arc damage on everything around it. I wasn't much for FRs in PvE prior to getting it but that thing is an absolute beast for PvE. Destroys yellow bars and can vaporize an entire crowd of mooks in one shot.

Oh, it also has the perk where it reloads itself when not equipped. So it's always ready to destroy whatever it's pointed at.

Loaded Question. It is very very good and did not leave my energy slot until I got Recluse

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »

Loaded Question. It is very very good and did not leave my energy slot until I got Recluse

Rip infinite reload as it related to Loaded Question. It got the reservoir burst perk on every shot until you dropped to 6 shots or less, and out damaged pretty much everything in the special slot except mountaintop.

Miss my Outbreak/LQ/Swarm loadout from season 7. Shit was fun to use and worked in pretty much any and all pve encounters.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I don't know what a pinnacle quest is exactly but I found the one you were talking about, and took it. Now it's time, I guess, to go a-grinding once my chores bounties are done.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

I don't know what a pinnacle quest is exactly but I found the one you were talking about, and took it. Now it's time, I guess, to go a-grinding once my chores bounties are done.

"Pinnacle quests/gear" are ones awarded by Shaxx, Drifter, and Zavala once a season. They're long-ish quest chains that primarily involve grinding certain things related to whatever gun type they reward. They always give a masterworked gun with fixed perks.

So far I think every pinnacle gun has been top-tier in their category. The Crucible ones are the most famous on account of being the most broken (Luna's Howl/Not Forgotten, Recluse, Revoker, Mountaintop). The Vanguard ones have been good but less obviously broken. Loaded Question is probably the best of that bunch. The only Gambit ones I know off the top of my head are Breakneck, which was a super awesome AR and now is just a decent AR, and Hush, which is a bow if that's your thing.

The nice thing about the pinnacle quests (for a certain definition of 'nice', I guess) is that they're constrained to their event. So getting Loaded Question doesn't require any crucible or anything; just grinding the shit out of strikes.

• Options

Despite that being pretty cool and all the stuff they've done with the Emperor I still just don't give a shit about Cabal. Fucking space turtles.

I hope next storyline has some love for Fallen. Hive Lore is always going to be Best Lore but Fallen have potential.

• Options
    edited February 2020

They're now called... Ritual Quests? Essentially Zavala, Drifter, and Shaxx each have a quest each season you can pick up to do a bunch of shit in Strikes, Gambit, and the Crucible, respectively, and it gives a neat gun

Like from Zavala there's been Oxygen, Wendigo, Loaded Question, and now Buzzard this season (edit - I forgot Edgewise)

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Pinnacles:
    Vanguard:
    Loaded Question - excellent burst fusion
    Oxygen SR3 - Super dragonfly scout
    Wendigo GL3 - high burst dps grenade launcher

Gambit:
    Breakneck - autorifle with unique rampage+rpm increase perk
    21% Delirium - machine gun with rampage perk that persists until you stow it
    Hush - hipfire bow that fires faster than any other bow after a precision hipfire shot

Crucible:
    Redrix Broadsword - OG pinnacle. Pulse that changes rpm on precision kill reload.
    Luna’s Howl/Not Forgotten - handcannons with bonus damage on 3rd precision hit
    Mountaintop - kinetic micro-rocket grenade launcher.
    Recluse - smg with a better version of rampage that can proc off other weapons kills
    Revoker - sniper that reloads a missed shot after a delay, every time.

All of these weapons are crazy strong, best in class weapons with the possible exception of the Oxygen (and maybe breakneck post SK). They all contain perks that don’t exist elsewhere, and basically are one step short of being exotics. It’s why they had to stop making them, they were bending the rules too much while not having the single slot restrictions of exotics.

Ritual weapons are weapons that have interesting/unique combos of standardly available perks. Out of the current 6 rituals, the only one that stands out as really good is Randy’s throwing knife, mostly due to finally having a 260 kinetic scout. The rest are solid, but the pinnacles are just a head and shoulders above pretty much every gun.

• Options
    If you are coming in without any of them, my recommendation is to grind for the following pinnacles:
    PvE:
    Wendigo GL3
    21% Delirium
    Recluse

PvP:
    Luna/NF (console)
    Revoker
    Mountaintop

The rest are all fun and interesting, but these are the most useful/powerful of the bunch, recluse and wendigo especially. Delirium is a good pair with izanagis for add clear if you don’t have recluse/wendigo

• Options
    I think the reason that I didn't even know was that the Vanguard quests were all for weapons I never use (grenade launcher, fusion rifle, sidearm, etc) or were for Gambit or Crucible, which I'm still avoiding like the plague. Hell, the only reason I've talked to Drifter or Shaxx was to hand them cookies and ding through the New Light quests (at least up to the "participate in these things" steps, where I stopped). So I didn't even peruse the quests for those two to see what they had.

I'll just have to find a good arc fusion rifle to do this quest, I suppose. I think the only non-linear one I have is the Main Ingredient one.

• Options
    I think the reason that I didn't even know was that the Vanguard quests were all for weapons I never use (grenade launcher, fusion rifle, sidearm, etc) or were for Gambit or Crucible, which I'm still avoiding like the plague. Hell, the only reason I've talked to Drifter or Shaxx was to hand them cookies and ding through the New Light quests (at least up to the "participate in these things" steps, where I stopped). So I didn't even peruse the quests for those two to see what they had.

I'll just have to find a good arc fusion rifle to do this quest, I suppose. I think the only non-linear one I have is the Main Ingredient one.

Wendigo (Grenade Launcher) and Loaded Question (Fusion Rifle) are both top-tier and may bring you around to using those weapon types

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options

Wendigo (Grenade Launcher) and Loaded Question (Fusion Rifle) are both top-tier and may bring you around to using those weapon types

My biggest issue with grenade launchers, and rocket launchers as well, is that they tend to also have very little ammo, and that I commonly turn around, fire with them in my hands in a panic, and proceed to blow myself up.
    Also, in the strikes that these want me to play, the likelihood that everyone remembers where they're going and where all the dudes spawn in means that by the time I catch up if I catch up, there's nothing to shoot. Most of those "kill 50 targets" type bounties take me 2-3 strikes at least, and forget precision damage because that's a crapshoot with two other people that seem more often than not just interested in getting through Strikes as quick as possible.

Like, I'm always dead last in the kills category in the Strike breakdown. 20-23 kills average while the others are anywhere from 80-100+ kills. I really assume it's because I can't hit jack squat from hip firing.

• Options

My biggest issue with grenade launchers, and rocket launchers as well, is that they tend to also have very little ammo, and that I commonly turn around, fire with them in my hands in a panic, and proceed to blow myself up.
    Also, in the strikes that these want me to play, the likelihood that everyone remembers where they're going and where all the dudes spawn in means that by the time I catch up if I catch up, there's nothing to shoot. Most of those "kill 50 targets" type bounties take me 2-3 strikes at least, and forget precision damage because that's a crapshoot with two other people that seem more often than not just interested in getting through Strikes as quick as possible.

Like, I'm always dead last in the kills category in the Strike breakdown. 20-23 kills average while the others are anywhere from 80-100+ kills. I really assume it's because I can't hit jack squat from hip firing.

Contrary to what it would seem on the surface, Grenade Launchers are for single-target damage, primarily against Majors and Bosses. As you noted, they do have ammo issues so an ideal perk set includes Field Prep. Spike Grenades and a Boss Spec mod round them out. Double-up on Grenade Launcher Reserves mods on your (Void) chestpiece. Grenade Launcher Ammo Finder (Void Helm) mod also helps. I use Power Ammo Scavenger on boots because I don't trust Grenade Launcher Scavenger to actual work with Power ammo. With all Field Prep and double Reserves mods, you will be sitting pretty at 23 total shots

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Believe it or not I used to have an Edge Transit parked in my power slot for a long time because it had a decent roll. I mean those things dropped like candy for a long time so it was (ahem) Destiny that I'd get one with good/decent perks. Being able to unload 9 grenades from medium/close distance and then fast reload for another 9... well, it was a game changer for me once I figured out how to do it.

These days, I'm rocking a Hammerhead machinegun which feels better to me even though it is probably very much non-optimal.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    ..............can Bungie please make chat mandatory for comp. I swear to god. If I ever meet any of my rando teammates in real life I'm going to knock them out and have 'F to super' tattoo'd on their goddamn forehead

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    So this new event and the late season grind seem a little weird...
    The talk before this was "Oh no, saves up 5000 fractaline for this triumph" and I was kind of side eyeing it as I knew I was gonna burn out. Then I go and claim the first weeks fractaline and get given like 7k? At this point I'm more likely to get annoyed at how long it takes to donate the stuff.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Yeah, need a 400 at a time button. 7 new shotguns at a time is fairly keen, too bad only 4ish of the other guns at once.

I brought all my spires up to 15 with the thing you can buy for 20k, and then went and saw Spider and made all of it back selling off some of the 3000 alkane i had. Think i'll bang all of those things up to 20 or so this week if not higher.

• Options
    The talk before this was "Oh no, saves up 5000 fractaline for this triumph" and I was kind of side eyeing it as I knew I was gonna burn out. Then I go and claim the first weeks fractaline and get given like 7k? At this point I'm more likely to get annoyed at how long it takes to donate the stuff.

So what's the new event?

I enjoyed the whole corridors of time/saving Saint-14 aspect of the season but found the sundial utterly boring. Even worse than the Vex grind last season. Sundial runs were both boring and occasionally frustrating instead of just boring.

Also, and not really related to all that complaining: what's up with Saint having 14's on everything? Him being "Saint-14" means he's rebooted 13 times, right? Shouldn't a significant part of his career have been spent as Saint-Not-14? Like when we go help him out the first time centuries before the next time, shouldn't he have been Saint-8 or -9 or something? At one point I started to think that maybe Guardian Exos just didn't reboot so all of his pre-14 shenanigans were back before the Collapse, but then I remembered that Banshee-44 hasn't been losing it for his entire existence.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Empyrean Foundation quest lets you pretty much buy completion of Timelost bounties, which helps you chase your perfect Bygones (or I suppose anything else you want to roll for) as long as you have Fractaline.

As far as ways to re-roll and chase god-rolls during a Season, this is very forgiving. I'm still curious what the Empyrean Foundation is going to wind up contributing to. But basically trading Fractaline for rolls is a good way to reward wrapping up the obelisk objectives earlier in the season.

Oh hey also apparently donating is what brings up Trials? Well saddle up boyos.

Zombie Gandhi on
  • Options
    We think it brings back Trials. What it actually brings back is an intriguing crucible mode currently lost to us that Saint is enamored of:

RIFT!

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    We think it brings back Trials. What it actually brings back is an intriguing crucible mode currently lost to us that Saint is enamored of:

RIFT!

...I wouldn't even be mad

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Quick, Jay, find the Get Down Mister President video from Iron Banner Rift in honor of Saint-14 and titan bubbles.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular

So what's the new event?

I enjoyed the whole corridors of time/saving Saint-14 aspect of the season but found the sundial utterly boring. Even worse than the Vex grind last season. Sundial runs were both boring and occasionally frustrating instead of just boring.

Also, and not really related to all that complaining: what's up with Saint having 14's on everything? Him being "Saint-14" means he's rebooted 13 times, right? Shouldn't a significant part of his career have been spent as Saint-Not-14? Like when we go help him out the first time centuries before the next time, shouldn't he have been Saint-8 or -9 or something? At one point I started to think that maybe Guardian Exos just didn't reboot so all of his pre-14 shenanigans were back before the Collapse, but then I remembered that Banshee-44 hasn't been losing it for his entire existence.

No, you're right about guardian exos being resurrected into the same reboot.

Banshee-44 is in the state he is in because he isn't a guardian. Just a really, really old exo.

• Options
    ... Who says those are two separate things?

Get ready for Trials of the Rift

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Quick, Jay, find the Get Down Mister President video from Iron Banner Rift in honor of Saint-14 and titan bubbles.

https://youtu.be/Cs1V84XEHyc

• Options
    Hey, Banshee-44, done my 8 bounties, whataya have for me?

Here's a Jade Rabbit.

o.O

That . . . feels disproportionate to my effort to complete those bounties? But thanks?

• Options
    It's pretty goddamn easy to raise your resonance with glimmer and shards, buying those fractaline doodads from the tower spire. Zipped over to Tangled shore a couple times and sold some planetary mats and now everything is 20-26 resonance. Curious to see my payout next week. I'm sure some crazy pants bastards have them all at 100 or something.

• Options
    All of mine are sitting at 26 right now. I had them all at 11 before the reset, then when we got confirmation that you got the first fractaline payout upon quest completion, I dumped the 4800 fractaline I had stockpiled to raise the relays to 17 across the board, completed the quest, got a payout of 7000. I dumped all of that back in, got a complete set of arc dawn armor for my hunter, and now next reset I’ll get 10500 fractaline back.

I’ll be plowing all of that back into the relays one more time for an additional ~53 levels or so, giving me like 14k resonance power every week for the last 3 weeks to donate. That should be enough for about 100-110 time lost bounties with a total donation of 42k.

Most likely going to try for a good rolled trophy first (extended mag/tripletap/vorpal/reload MW) and maybe a perfect double perked paradox.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Ugh. I'm on a working to trip to Okinawa this week and I only barely unlocked my third obelisk before leaving. I get it that these events are really tuned for the hardcore player, but if getting anywhere beyond the very surface of these seasonal updates is going to require hundreds of hours of playtime then maybe I should start putting my $20 towards other games.

26904.png
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Stupid wrote: »
    Ugh. I'm on a working to trip to Okinawa this week and I only barely unlocked my third obelisk before leaving. I get it that these events are really tuned for the hardcore player, but if getting anywhere beyond the very surface of these seasonal updates is going to require hundreds of hours of playtime then maybe I should start putting my $20 towards other games.

I'm definitely not one to try to judge the appropriate amount of play time to get value out of something but I feel like this season has actually required very little in order to be at "normal" levels of completion. The Obelisks have been unlockable since the beginning of December and the bounties (both weekly and Saint) plus the random chance to get fractaline once you have them leveled a bit means that it wasn't too hard to get the required amount to have them all leveled up to the last point that mattered before this week (which was rank 11 each).

All of the stuff from here on out is just the community event for unlocking what appears to be Trials. So unless you want the emblem for donating the 5k fractaline there isn't really anything to get too bothered about. Not to mention there is basically still a month left in the season.

I would say getting the initial obelisks to rank 11 together took me probably doing the weekly bounties and the Saint bounties once they showed up around two resets worth. So I'll guestimate depending on how efficient you are 2-4 hours for the weeklies (and also completing the Saint bounties while doing the weeklies if possible). So I'll go long and say 20 hours to max out the obelisks? Didn't seem to bad of a time requirement overall. Now whether those bounties are fun all the time is a different question entirely...

squall99x on
    oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    I’m going to end up more less accidentally getting the season title again, as it sounds like the legend version of sundial isn’t too hard. There was nowhere near as much grinding required like there was last time.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

IIRC you started way way way late on this season because you were just starting. I've been pretty unengaged from the season grindy stuff and I could have completed the quest with just the fractaline awarded from the quest step this week. That was far less grindy than I was expecting and kinda wrong footed me really.

Comparing our heat maps I'm actually pretty sure you've spent more time in D2 than I have during this season. You were just working on catch up stuff rather than this seasons stuff. Kinda think that's coloring your view on this.

Edit: The heatmap I was referring to if you're curious: https://chrisfried.github.io/secret-scrublandeux/guardian/2/4611686018428427816

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

IIRC you started way way way late on this season because you were just starting. I've been pretty unengaged from the season grindy stuff and I could have completed the quest with just the fractaline awarded from the quest step this week. That was far less grindy than I was expecting and kinda wrong footed me really.

Comparing our heat maps I'm actually pretty sure you've spent more time in D2 than I have during this season. You were just working on catch up stuff rather than this seasons stuff. Kinda think that's coloring your view on this.

Edit: The heatmap I was referring to if you're curious: https://chrisfried.github.io/secret-scrublandeux/guardian/2/4611686018428427816

The Fractaline you get (weekly now) from the Tower Obelisk is equivalent to its Resonance which is based on the Resonance Levels of each individual Obelisk. With each Obelisk at Rank 11, the Tower Obelisk will generate 4600 Fractaline a week. If you just started, obviously this amount will be much lower (or 0)

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    Urf, Komodo quest started off pretty terrible but managed 45% in a night. Playing with Arbalest just feels bad though.

• Options
    Well, I finished the main Shadowkeep story quest, so even though there's other story stuff on the various places to do (probably perpetually), I'm done with all the main bits for right now.

I'm also trying to get the Fighting Lion and Merciless catalysts done, but man am I crap at hitting any god damn thing with the Fighting Lion, and I think for now I'm going to have to see if I have a way to increase my special ammo because I run through the ammo like crazy with Merciless.

I'm not sure what else I'll do, though I'd like to do the "memory" quests for Eris, and probably hit up anything else that's story relevant. I mean, anything easy. I totally would love to do raids but I'm awful at getting folks together to do anything, online or in real life. Oh, and I'm also having fun with the Nine and their quests from Xur thus far.