As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Now Witness the Firepower of this Fully Armed and Operational Warmind!

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    @Kalnaur

I struggled with the Fighting Lion for a long time until I realized one important thing:

You can hold down the fire button when you launch the grenade and then release it to make it go boom, on demand.

Until I figured that out, I was doing what you are probably doing: launching the grenade in the general area of an enemy and hoping that it will explode nearby them. Unless you line up the shot perfectly it will either carom off of some terrain and bounce in a seemly random direction not near anything, or sail right past your intended target and explode about 17 miles off in the distance far far away from whatever you were hoping to hit.

With explode-on-demand, you don't have to be accurate. You can launch the grenade "high" so that it doesn't bounce off the ground, and then when it is more-or-less "above" yuor target, release the fire button and it goes boom and does splash damage! Launching the thing generally in the middle of a pack of enemies and then triggering the explosion when it's in range will net so many kills, so fast. It's actually one of the most forgiving weapons for poor aim and long range!

26904.png
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I'm going to fucking hate snipers in Trials when it comes back. Why? Because nothing else feels quite that shitty when someone gets a lucky as fuck drag-shot kill that relies almost entirely on the console aim assist.

Everything else has counterplay, leaves you vulnerable, but snipers who can quick scope like that have literally no downsides, especially with revoker.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    I'm going to fucking hate snipers in Trials when it comes back. Why? Because nothing else feels quite that shitty when someone gets a lucky as fuck drag-shot kill that relies almost entirely on the console aim assist.

Everything else has counterplay, leaves you vulnerable, but snipers who can quick scope like that have literally no downsides, especially with revoker.

Snipers are are skill weapon, wether or not it's a skill you like doesn't mean it's not a skill. Yeah sure, you're as lucky to get a sweepshot snipe as you are to RNG all the pellets in a shotgun blast to hit outside it's normal OHKO range.

It's not something you can rely on, running a sniper and doing well with it is more than just relying on aim assist. Quickscoping is different than sweepscoping, as well.

• Options

Snipers are are skill weapon, wether or not it's a skill you like doesn't mean it's not a skill. Yeah sure, you're as lucky to get a sweepshot snipe as you are to RNG all the pellets in a shotgun blast to hit outside it's normal OHKO range.

It's not something you can rely on, running a sniper and doing well with it is more than just relying on aim assist. Quickscoping is different than sweepscoping, as well.

Sorry, was mainly just venting because I died to a guy who shot my when I accidentally fell off the arched walkway on worm haven. Like he shot me in thew upper corner below the arch as I was falling. its the first thing in a long time that made me wonder if someone on ps4 had a mouse and keyboard hooked up.

I'm also just pretty salty in general right now, trying to get hand cannon kills to get LH, and every match I just lose to someone using LH over and over due to the 3 tap.

• Options
    I feel you, I definitely don't take it personally or think you're unreasonable in saying it's annoying to fight against. There's plenty of things in destiny that bug me to die to (Jotunn, despite being fairly innocuous, makes my blood boil). I actually don't mind Erentil users because I can usually just put mine on and I'm better/have a better roll than them. Nothing is more frustrating than fighting a team of good snipers, because they just have good aim and I don't usually, so yeah that's just me sucking and needing to improve... But we all have jobs and social lives, so it's not important for me to sink hours of my life honing sniper skillz like these 16 year old twitch streamers can.

Personally I've gone from hating the enemies, to hating the netcode/game balance, to realizing the only ways to make things better for me are to either get better or play something else. I had more time back in the D1 days to run Destiny more regularly. I worry about Trials mostly because I always work weekends these days, I'll have limited time to play, even if I wanted to.

• Options
    I just had a solo's game where 5 of the 6 of us were on a level playing field.

the 6th guy had 28 kills. He was not on my team. Nearly all of his kills were with Last Word.

and I hear you about the time investment. My reflexes aren't quite what they use to be either, but not having all day to play doesn't help

• Options
    Good luck on the LH, it's a fun gun even if it's not as good as it once was. I'll probably always have more kills on my LH than my NF.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    While I'm ranting: If they take backup plan away from Erentil, its only fair that quick draw comes off mind benders

edit: like I'm not saying BP is exactly fair, but its not like we call it aping because it requires thought and skill

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Double Leavers in round 1 of a comp match. I start dancing in the center so we can have some fun before I bail too.

One of their team tries to line himself up to be my coconut squire, but unfortunately for him, his other two teammates are complete assholes who kill me every time they see me.

Cool, time to practice my sniper shooting from spawn! Did I mention this is my 4th match of the night on convergence, so its a long ass run alllllllll the way across the map for the next 4 rounds every time I die?

Edit:
    Next match, I think I found someone who must have been lagging or something? I have footage of me hitting with 4-5 fusion bolts and doing a grand total of 40 damage, then hitting with all 3 celestial fire projectiles, but the damage numbers are 35, 10, 8 instead of the normal 35x3.

ronzo on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »
    Stupid wrote: »
    Ugh. I'm on a working to trip to Okinawa this week and I only barely unlocked my third obelisk before leaving. I get it that these events are really tuned for the hardcore player, but if getting anywhere beyond the very surface of these seasonal updates is going to require hundreds of hours of playtime then maybe I should start putting my $20 towards other games.

IIRC you started way way way late on this season because you were just starting. I've been pretty unengaged from the season grindy stuff and I could have completed the quest with just the fractaline awarded from the quest step this week. That was far less grindy than I was expecting and kinda wrong footed me really.

Comparing our heat maps I'm actually pretty sure you've spent more time in D2 than I have during this season. You were just working on catch up stuff rather than this seasons stuff. Kinda think that's coloring your view on this.

Edit: The heatmap I was referring to if you're curious: https://chrisfried.github.io/secret-scrublandeux/guardian/2/4611686018428427816

The Fractaline you get (weekly now) from the Tower Obelisk is equivalent to its Resonance which is based on the Resonance Levels of each individual Obelisk. With each Obelisk at Rank 11, the Tower Obelisk will generate 4600 Fractaline a week. If you just started, obviously this amount will be much lower (or 0)

So something weird is going on here because I got 7000+ fractaline when I turned in that quest yesterday and I only have the four obelisks to 11. (Fake Edit: Oh wait, it reports total fractaline in the popup? That's silly! Kinda irrelevant as the 4600 is only 400 away from the "tough" triumph level.) While the obelisk leveling was certainly some effort I don't think it was that big a deal. I seem to recall doing it in a week or two of semi-engaged play?

I get the FOMO concerns and all but this season has been fairly reasonable to engage in all the check boxes while having some outlets for crazy grindy stuff if folks want to engage there. Heck, if the stupid time trial wasn't so dependent on loading fuckery I'd probably fall into the seasonal title.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I donated some Fractaline last night to get turn finish 20ish timelost gun bounties and ended with a pretty ok Black Scorpion (not great, still going back to that well tonight), but I took it into Classic Mix and it's just stupid how you can shoot near a dude sort of and still get head shots. I want to give myself some credit for being able to aim but the generosity of the hit boxes in Destiny are why I'll never quit it, I'm too old and slow to play anything more demanding and feel good about myself.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    @Kalnaur

I struggled with the Fighting Lion for a long time until I realized one important thing:

You can hold down the fire button when you launch the grenade and then release it to make it go boom, on demand.

Until I figured that out, I was doing what you are probably doing: launching the grenade in the general area of an enemy and hoping that it will explode nearby them. Unless you line up the shot perfectly it will either carom off of some terrain and bounce in a seemly random direction not near anything, or sail right past your intended target and explode about 17 miles off in the distance far far away from whatever you were hoping to hit.

With explode-on-demand, you don't have to be accurate. You can launch the grenade "high" so that it doesn't bounce off the ground, and then when it is more-or-less "above" yuor target, release the fire button and it goes boom and does splash damage! Launching the thing generally in the middle of a pack of enemies and then triggering the explosion when it's in range will net so many kills, so fast. It's actually one of the most forgiving weapons for poor aim and long range!

. . . You know, it really would be nice if the game explained any of this anywhere. This game feels like the pinnacle of "I dunno, just figure it out". Come on, Bungie, throw me a freaking bone, man.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    ....It does explain the mechanic on the gun.
    fighting-lion-min.jpg

Vladimer on
  • Options
    Vladimer wrote: »
    ....It does explain the mechanic on the gun.
    fighting-lion-min.jpg

*slaps head* I've hovered over all those icons like, 10 times trying to figure out how I was using it so wrong, and somehow I missed that? Damn, that is 100% my bad.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Every break-action grenade launcher in the game has that mechanic, as well as precision frame grenade launchers.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ylerb7niFQ

Shaxx / Mara remains a thing.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Every break-action grenade launcher in the game has that mechanic, as well as precision frame grenade launchers.

I don't know what the bolded even means. I only know the frames because I've hovered over them, otherwise, I've avoided the 'nade launchers and I can see now that part of that is straight up not understanding their functions.

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I don't know what the bolded even means. I only know the frames because I've hovered over them, otherwise, I've avoided the 'nade launchers and I can see now that part of that is straight up not understanding their functions.

Break action just means the single shot ones that only hold and fire one ammo at a time. That's not their actual in game name. Just a description in general to weapons that operate by "breaking" open the barrel to insert ammunition.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Also, never aim down sights with Fighting Lion. Doing so is akin to closing your eyes and following your heart

I followed my heart a lot. It was terrible. Some thousand kills later I realized that watching the grenade travel was an option.

By then I didn't need to see my grenades anyway, but it sure would have saved me some effort while learning the timing.

Oh, and you can reload the launcher immediately upon firing it, even with the fire button held down while the grenade travels.

And the auto reloading function is on an invisible timer. You can get a free grenade by killing something both before and after hitting something, except in pvp where the combo only works the one way in every use case I've seen. It is finicky unless you're actively trying for it.

The lazy way to kill things directly in front of you is to aim at the floor and bounce the grenade at them. The fancy way is to hit them directly.

Air bursting when the grenade is roughly chest height in a group of critters is the reliable way to make endless orbs.

Gosh, I love Fighting Lion. It is my favorite gun.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    squall99x wrote: »

Break action just means the single shot ones that only hold and fire one ammo at a time. That's not their actual in game name. Just a description in general to weapons that operate by "breaking" open the barrel to insert ammunition.

All of the break-actions also have a delay for explosions if you don’t instantly hit a target.

Even mountaintop. I may have discovered this last night when I hit the floor directly in front me of me, watched the grenade spin in place for a brief instant before exploding, allowing my hunter friend enough time to mind bender my face

• Options
    edited February 2020
    squall99x wrote: »

Yeah, the actual in-game archetype is the lightweight GLs that use special ammo. Just went with the real-life jargon since that archetype technically doesn't include the fighting lion.

cB557 on
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Most people (including Bungie) refer to those as breech-loaded rather than break-action. All breech-loaded weapons (in the game at least) are break-action, but not all break-action weapons are breech-loaded. Some hand cannons (Trust, for example) have a break-action reload, but just replace the cylinder rather than load rounds into the breech. I... I don't know why I posted this.

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    I'll also admit to knowing less than nothing about any real life firearm of any kind except maybe which direction I'm supposed to point them in (no guarantees on that either).

But it's good to know that the single-shot special ammo launchers all have a "release to detonate" feature, because there's basically no chance I'm going to actually hit anything with the grenade itself, and aiming down the sights is the only way I can hit anything in this game with anything approaching accuracy. Horseshoes and hand grenades, close is all I need with explosives, right? :wink:

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    I'll also admit to knowing less than nothing about any real life firearm of any kind except maybe which direction I'm supposed to point them in (no guarantees on that either).

But it's good to know that the single-shot special ammo launchers all have a "release to detonate" feature, because there's basically no chance I'm going to actually hit anything with the grenade itself, and aiming down the sights is the only way I can hit anything in this game with anything approaching accuracy. Horseshoes and hand grenades, close is all I need with explosives, right? :wink:

This was legit the name of the Proximity Detonation perk on Rocket Launchers from Destiny 1 :lol:

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    Have there been any precision frame grenade launchers post-forsaken? Last time I looked that archetype was still just like, Orthrus, Day's Fury, and Sunrise from Y1.

• Options
    Vagabond wrote: »

This was legit the name of the Proximity Detonation perk on Rocket Launchers from Destiny 1 :lol:

One of my mother's most used phrases was "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades", so it's stuck up there with all the rest of the goofy sayings. At least two of which contain a version of the word "tit", in fact.

Aphorisms are weird.

• Options
    This Luna's grind is making want to punch a wall.

Literally everyone I get into a duel with is using Luna's/NF, which sucks because the hand cannon I'm best with is Trust, a whole 1/5th of a second slower. I have to land 4 headshots, they only need 3.

And none of them fucking miss, ever. It's always 3. Which means I have to use spare rations or waking vigil or JQK, and I kind of suck with all of those.

• Options
    The sword changes mentioned in the TWAB sound... interesting. I'm curious what it will do to my beloved Throne Cleaver, or if it will make it more powerful. I don't have a god-roll, but this thing remains my stalwart friend, so I'm hoping the changes don't render it less useful.

Still, the changes sound neat and may make people not sleep on swords so much.

• Options
    The sword changes sound like a halfway point between making them special weapons so they can be used more often, but maintaining their power weapon status without breaking the sandbox too hard.

I will miss warlock worldline skating though.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I like how one of the titans in the Shaxx video is wearing RPC Valiant, which would be cool. If it was an ornament. 36 more kills and a quick climb to heroic for komodo which will go straight into the bank. That, a legendary sundial run and whatever that last one is which everyone will get at the same time I suppose and the Seal is done. Feels a lot better than last season, outside of the stupid linear fusion shenanigans.

Nosf on
  • Options
    The sword changes sound like a halfway point between making them special weapons so they can be used more often, but maintaining their power weapon status without breaking the sandbox too hard.

I'm pretty sure you skaters will be fine, this was in the heavy ammo section: "Do note that aerial heavy attacks as a general rule do not consume Sword energy, but that can vary based on the Sword."

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you skaters will be fine, this was in the heavy ammo section: "Do note that aerial heavy attacks as a general rule do not consume Sword energy, but that can vary based on the Sword."

dmg04 wrote:
    As I understand it, the speedrun community will need to find new ways to break the sound barrier next season.

I understand this will come as a disappointment to some. Hopefully, this will bring new techniques and serve as a challenge to refresh previously established records.

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    I'm curious if this is hinting at some sort of focus on swords in next seasons content. Either through the different types of champions or through a theme in the content and item drops. It just seems like such a large mechanic change that basically came out of nowhere considering all of the other things people have been vocal about wanting to be adjusted. It just seems like they wouldn't pop this out of nowhere without a particular reason.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I'm surprised about the skating thing but ok.

Bungie loves buffing things people aren't using and fuckin nobody's using a sword with the exception of a few loons, but I can see a loadout like Izanagi/pulse or scout/sword making a lot of sense in PvE next season. They might be emphasizing them for some reason but they might also just want them to be useful?

Peen on
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Yeah, with Izanagi being a good "heavy" weapon I could definitely see fitting a sword in there, even now.

• Options
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    You want me to use a sword? Fix the fucking hit detection.

Anything else is just painting the turd a different colour.

• Options
    My PVE loadout is basically either Izanagis/Recluse/Throne Cleaver or Sacred Provenance/Divinity/Throne Cleaver for most content. Occasionally I swap out Wendigo or Xenophage, but doing work with swords is very very possible.

• Options
    My PVE loadout is basically either Izanagis/Recluse/Throne Cleaver or Sacred Provenance/Divinity/Throne Cleaver for most content. Occasionally I swap out Wendigo or Xenophage, but doing work with swords is very very possible.

It’s still super cool that 2 of the 3 classes got a unique sword that either has great utility in either PvP with the lunge or in pve with the cleave.

It’s weird that one particular class just got totally fucked on that front and just got a regular old sword.

• Options
    It's not weird, Bungie hates Warlocks.
    I kid, I kid.
    I don't kid.