As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Now Witness the Firepower of this Fully Armed and Operational Warmind!

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    There's a cool-looking Trials sparrow that's a rare drop from the Flawless chest. There's also a Trials ghost that apparently has no Crucible-related perks so it's worthless?

https://www.light.gg/db/items/3224184260/resurrections-guide/
    https://www.light.gg/db/items/3892999872/lantern-shell/

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Played a bunch of Trials, got a bunch of tokens, ended up with two more rocket launchers. Booooooo

Also the funny thing about hard light for me* is that it's great because of the ricochet damage and range bs. Straight up I can win a duel against someone using a hard light when I'm using my gnawing hunger 6 or 7 times out of ten, more if I've got multi-kill clip going. It's not an unstoppable duel machine but it's a murderous team fire weapon and that makes it perfect for Trials. I think if we see a more open map next week the trials meta will shift pretty dramatically (back to getting sniped immediately on Widow's Court, weeee).

*I play on console, PC people could tell us what they think but apparently they can't stay connected to the game long enough to get a full match in.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Yeah, big thing I noticed last night was quite a few teams running Hard Light spam which is irritating and stupid and not at all fun.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I don't normally browse Reddit, but when I do browse Reddit, I stumble upon posts like this:

Just look at these damn Hive Gods.

I didn't play first weekend so it's kinda hard to have perspective on it, but this map + this HL spam meta is just not a good foot to lead off on. Combined with lackluster rewards for Flawless, we're entering a phase where the real sweats are farming 3 wins and resetting for God roll shotties, because some people made videos about how a good roll is basically a primary Mindbenders, and while it's good info I HATE EVERYONE and Bungie did this to themselves by not making a flawless armor or Adept guns to chase, because now people realize they can do the least possible over and over for E/Z stat padding and rolls on a shotgun. Bungo....

I think they are also gonna start losing people on the lower end of the skill curve fast too. If you can't get to 3 wins, you literally get nothing from the entire thing except a single lore piece a week. And Trials is still sweaty as all fuck at the "Fresh Ticket" level.

On that note, someone on Reddit posted the stats from light.gg. Given you need to sign up, the sample is probably not representative and thus the data not great. But I would suspect, given signing up for light.gg is something high engagement players do more then loosely attached players, that it actually leans more towards people most likely to be doing well at Trials.
    Week 1
    3 Wins (scout): 23%
    5 Wins (rocket launcher): 14%
    7 Wins (fusion rifle): 10%

Week 2
    3 Wins (shotgun): 8%
    5 Wins (auto rifle): 5%
    Didnt include 7 wins since it was armor.

Your call on whether you think it's at all meaningful obviously. But my suspicion is that the general trend is not wrong.

edited March 2020
    Trials was always going to have a pretty significant drop off after the new/casual players get eaten alive by murderlords.

Granted, that cliff is probably sharper than it should be right now, given the constant farming/grinding/resetting/slaughter cycle that people are engaging in for the Shotgun. Something that disincentivized the behavior of quick resets/bounty farms should have been in place.

Trials has always had a problem where in the Platonic ideal that Bungie (and uber-Sweats/Twitch) has where it needs to be survival of the fittest driven by card wins and random luck, because any sort of SBMM or separate pool for slaughterbots would cheapen the experience (and also reduce carry-culture). But it fucking sucks for people not in those cohorts. And leveraging a reward system that seems even more punitive (and less rewarding at the top end) for the player base means the incentive structure is out of wack and people are gonna bounce hard.

I hope Trials lasts. I hope the population doesn't drop as quick as that indicates. I hope next week is better.

Zombie Gandhi on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    They should def hotfix Hard Light, maybe just disable the 2x dmg on ricochet.

I'd like if they added some more rewards, for flawless and other fun stuff like emblems and shaders. It's not too late but if they leave it as is for a long time it's gonna get stale very quickly.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    It obviously doesn't help that there's very little motivation for folks to stay engaged with the game at the moment, so the broader population is likely suppressed (regardless of self-quarantine), which in turn lessens the amount of players likely to just play a card or two on a whim.

edited March 2020
    Trials was always going to have a pretty significant drop off after the new/casual players get eaten alive by murderlords.

Granted, that cliff is probably sharper than it should be right now, given the constant farming/grinding/resetting/slaughter cycle that people are engaging in for the Shotgun. Something that disincentivized the behavior of quick resets/bounty farms should have been in place.

Trials has always had a problem where in the Platonic ideal that Bungie (and uber-Sweats/Twitch) has where it needs to be survival of the fittest driven by card wins and random luck, because any sort of SBMM or separate pool for slaughterbots would cheapen the experience (and also reduce carry-culture). But it fucking sucks for people not in those cohorts. And leveraging a reward system that seems even more punitive (and less rewarding at the top end) for the player base means the incentive structure is out of wack and people are gonna bounce hard.

I hope Trials lasts. I hope the population doesn't drop as quick as that indicates. I hope next week is better.

There's already some sort of matching by how many wins you have on your ticket afaik. I think a big thing they need to do is extend that downward. The experience of your first couple of games on your ticket should not be as brutally facestompy as they currently feel.

shryke on
    I plan to collect a full set of the titan armor but that's all I really want. I have a good roll on the shotgun and I don't care too much about the other weapons. It's hard to get excited about recollecting the same gear I already collected in D1Y1, and only a subset of it, at that.

There's no adept rewards, the new lighthouse is a step down from the old lighthouse, and generally speaking ToO still has all of the problems I complained about back in D1.

Trials of Osiris is still fun, I'm glad it's back, I was as excited as ever to go flawless and I look forward to more weekends with the old crew. But I don't know how much staying power it will have.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    The crazy part is trials is actually way harder in d2

D1 y1 was no matchmaking so it was sorta rng but if you were good it was a breeze to 7. It also had multiple boons so really all it took was to go 5-1 to get a flawless ticket

Then they added card mm and it got a bit tougher. Wins 6-7 were tough

D2 was super tough as you couldn’t carry against 4 guardians and no secondary And there was no mercy (was there other boons, I forget)

I managed to go flawless

But somehow this version seems even harder. I haven’t gotten close yet. But it should be easier in theory with at least one boon. I only have to go 7-1 not 7-0

But it’s all still much harder than d1 especially d1/y1

616610-1.png
    I would say it's harder than D1 for sure, but not harder than D2. I went flawless 35ish times in D1 divide that over 3 years is about 12 times a year. In D2 over the entire course of Trials of the Nine, I went flawless 7 times.

That we managed to go first weekend I could play is a dramatic departure from the last time I played Trials in D2. It took me 2 months to get a Trials of the Nine flawless.

Such a small corridor based map really highlights how many up close options are... Highly effective. Hard Light, Shotguns, ARs, Erentil, Telesto, Mountaintop, Recluse, sidearms, etc. There's just soooo many options to pick from that in the right hands can lay people out flat. It's truly the opposite of D2Y1, with no OHKO guns to a million of them.

Also...

for the love of God this map is the worst for Nightstalkers super, you shoot the arrow and it literally hits something, a doorway or texture sticking out a half inch Oops you missed the arrow! Now they're just gonna go around you, idiot! You're so dumb for using that super! If you don't shoot it point blank it whiffs every time.

edited March 2020
    I would say it's harder than D1 for sure, but not harder than D2. I went flawless 35ish times in D1 divide that over 3 years is about 12 times a year. In D2 over the entire course of Trials of the Nine, I went flawless 7 times.

That we managed to go first weekend I could play is a dramatic departure from the last time I played Trials in D2. It took me 2 months to get a Trials of the Nine flawless.

Such a small corridor based map really highlights how many up close options are... Highly effective. Hard Light, Shotguns, ARs, Erentil, Telesto, Mountaintop, Recluse, sidearms, etc. There's just soooo many options to pick from that in the right hands can lay people out flat. It's truly the opposite of D2Y1, with no OHKO guns to a million of them.

Also...

for the love of God this map is the worst for Nightstalkers super, you shoot the arrow and it literally hits something, a doorway or texture sticking out a half inch Oops you missed the arrow! Now they're just gonna go around you, idiot! You're so dumb for using that super! If you don't shoot it point blank it whiffs every time.

I got flawless either week 1 or 2 in trials of the nine. Despite needing a random 4th.

My team hasn’t gotten 7 wins yet. And we’re legit much better now than we were back in d2 release. So I dunno, could be bad luck or time of day. Admittedly were playing about half as much trials this time (just sun mon night)

But yeah on paper trials of the nine was harder. Need 4 players. Countdown was tougher. Couldn’t really clutch. I forget how boons worked but I don’t think mercy was a thing.

But so far we’re having a rougher time in this.

And yeah nightstalker ult is painful in maps like this.

Last night I played out of my mind. I’m usually the worst in my crew but I was wrecking guys with flawless and full unbroken stacks. 1.5kd for the night which is insane for me in trials. But we couldn’t even get to 7...:(

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Cracked 3 wins on all the characters, but couldn't get a card any higher than 4. This week was rouuugh.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Got 3 wins last night, turned in 60 tokens and got a couple of good shotgun rolls. Will give them a whirl and see what I can pair them up with, next week's map depending!

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
    So do Trials guns look different when you go flawless? Looked at a Summoner in my inventory and it's black and silver?

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    So do Trials guns look different when you go flawless? Looked at a Summoner in my inventory and it's black and silver?

Did you check if there's a shader attached to it?

The colors change based on the Trials emblem you're wearing, and I assume only when you've gone flawless.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I believe the varying flawless qualities require you to use the two different flawless emblems. There's a Red Glow and Gold/White Glow for all Trials weapons and Armor depending on which of the emblems you equip.

metaghost wrote: »
    I believe the varying flawless qualities require you to use the two different flawless emblems. There's a Red Glow and Gold/White Glow for all Trials weapons and Armor depending on which of the emblems you equip.

Close. The yellow glow is if you aren't wearing either emblem. The blue glow is for the yellow emblem, and the Red glow is for the red /yellow emblem

Checking the guns, it's similar here. No emblem means the trials guns turn Black/Gold with a gold glow. The Yellow (blue glow) emblem is what made my Summoner Black and Silver, with a blue glow eye. And the red emblem made the summoner Red/Black with a red glow. Very cool, but again I'd rather have ornaments...

If you went flawless and don't have an emblem equipped everything Trials glows yellow.

If you have the carry emblem equipped everything glows white/silver.

If you have the "ha ha stopped you" emblem equipped it glows red.

Two weeks, still didn't make it to seven wins, still no armor. Armor earlier in the cards next week bungo plz.

edited March 2020
    z5dfxyrprej6.png
    vqlhf7b60g5x.png
    dgn2xpfsyisl.png

Local H Jay on
    Yeah I am sad to have missed out on the armor, so hope it will hit the five slot.

Clearly the prize is still Flawless (both the act and the Seal) but I'll be super disincentivized if I can't put together a decent armor set.

edited March 2020
    Can confirm, the flawless glow lasts through reset, I'm assuming goes away when trials returns Friday

Local H Jay on
    edited March 2020
    Me last night: now that I’m 1000 on all chars this week should be light on destiny

Me today after reset: ok need IB bounties on all 3 chars. Need 3 100k NF pinnacles. Need 3 pit runs. Need to try the raid again Friday or Saturday. Oh and I gotta Level up the moon for the pinnacle. And oh yeah non stop mind benders farm”

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    edited March 2020
    I was doing IB this morning and hating it, finished my 4 games and was like "nice that's probably enough of that."

Went and did a rumble and this one guy kept killing me with a bow I hadn't yet seen. I was like hmm that thing is doing weird stuff... Cut to later on and I read about how there is a pinnacle this season... In IB... That same bow that was fucking me up

Damnit, now I have to go for that shit

Local H Jay on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    IB's alright but they oughta let you turn in tokens for at least a random weapon without having to redo Cast In Iron to unlock the reward engram every freaking time IB comes around. Come on, Saladin, I'm supposed to be your Young Wolf. You can at least let me have that much.

• ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Yeah that bow was wrecking me my first match. So definitely grabbing that.

I think my Elo or hidden rank or whatever is fucked, there's not been a single chill game of IB all day for me. Literally just 6 stacks of Unbrokens v my team of randos. Doesn't help in slowly clawing my way up to 1000 LL. Luckily since it just buried you in blues I've climbed from 985 to 990. Almost got the bow, too. Just hard to make progress on these kills when every game is a Mercy...

IB bow is going to me trials meta. Swap to it for the final round or two when you need to shut down supers. It’s like a mini arbalest for that but more forgiving

A team swapping to it and holding back would be tough to super

616610-1.png
    Yeah putting Vorpal on a bow is madness, it's already pissing me off and it's been one day

I slogged my way through the IB quest on one of my characters. I don't recall the last time I've actually tried to win a match in IB, thanks to the seasonal questlines.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Yeah putting Vorpal on a bow is madness, it's already pissing me off and it's been one day

think it does a bit more damage against supers than other Vorpal weapons do too.

I'm sure we'll squad up tonight, get you some of yours back Jay.

That being said we ran in a three stack last night and ran into nothing but larger stacks of sweatier assholes so who knows.

The stat totals on these IB pieces are great.

Being forced to use an SMG and then fusion rifle isn’t.

I whipped out a Kill Clip Antiope for the SMG kills... Feels good man

I’m just terrible with SMGs but I brute-forced through it.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I'm struggling with the hand cannon kills, its really easy for folks to finish my targets off.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I finally got Recluse so the SMG kills part of the IB quest was nice and easy.
    Honestly I found hand cannon kills the hardest part. So many hard light bois flinching the shit out of me when I tried to duel, the light disadvantage was probably the biggest problem there though I think.
    Doubt the bow kills will be any better and I'm kind of dreading it.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.