As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Feelings on my PS3

zeroomegazxzeroomegazx Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
Well, this outta be fun, I have a feeling I'm going to be buried but oh well. Lets start... at the beginning...

I'm sure we can all say that back when the Wii + PS3 launch were upon us in the fall, everyone and their grandmother began disliking SONY including me. $600 for a fucking console? I mean who wouldn't have been with that price. I was so psyched to get my Wii and start holding it in my hands.

I finally got the thing. I love my Wii, its the cat's tits. Zelda, Wario Ware, Red Steel, Wii Sports. The Wii brought in a new fun way to play games we've been playing for years. Minues the pushing back of Metroid Prime, Smash Bros, and Mario Galaxy I'm pretty satisfied with what software it has to offer. Though I would like to see more 3rd party stuff actually come out and not be rushed like Spiderman 3.

With that out of the way, you can tell I was a Wii fanboy. I mean who wouldn't be. SONY's execs had shit pouring out of their mouths at their consumers every chance they had. Which made me more upset and more biased against the PS3. They just wouldn't stop. It was like a car wreck, I didn't want to listen to anymore but I just had to read what they had said next. The fact that SONY execs thought their consumers would eat the PS3 up and not be concerned with the price really hit me hard as well as I think a lot of you out there. I thought I'd never end up owning a PS3.

Fastforward from Wii Launch to Mid April. I had been contemplating getting an Xbox360, being a huge mecha fan and owning Steel Batallion I really wanted to try Chrome Hounds more than the demo i had played in the store. There were also some other titles i was looking to try. But as we all know, the 360 is about as reliable as a tissue paper condom. Not only have a I heard countless countless stories on teh internet, but my own best friend's cousin has gone through 2 XBOX360s since xmas 2006, and from what i recall the thing did the ring of death a week or 2 ago. These 360's have been treated nothing but great from what I can tell, is always in a well ventilated area, never moved while being run, and yet one of them ate his GoW disc. How hard is it NOT to find posts or topics or news stories about the 360's lack of reliablility?

Why am I ranting about this? Because at the time I had noticed the PS3 had so far hardly had, if any negativity or complaints about hardware reliablilty. Now My Wii actually *broke* and had to be returned. Some overheating issue, started making weird pixels flash, you've prolly heard about. So its not to say the Wii or the PS3 hasn't had problems, but both of those 2 systems are very well built from what I've experienced so far.

Around this time, the father of the playstation was finally somewhat dealt, wasn't a huge setback for him but at least you could tell that maybe.. just maybe... some of SONY was getting the picture in their PR dept. I also was looking more into some of their titles, some released already and some future. Little Big Planet is... I mean cmon... it looks damn good... Then there's Warhawk which looks to be a blast online.. Motorstorm... just to name a few. I mean I hadn't look at anything from the PS3 lineup because of how incredibly biased I was agaisnt it, so all of this was new to me.

It's now been almost 2 weeks since i bought a PS3. I've written enough so I'm not goiing to tell you HWY i bought one, but i know one member here knows why ';..;' I bought motorstorm and Armored core 4 with my system. I downloaded every demo on the marketplace and got HDMI cables for my TV. In a quick roundup I will say this. I am very surprised at the actual system and its abilities. The system from what I can gather, is worth the $200 more than the xbox360 preimium. If you add the wireless capabilities which really help, and the FREE ONLINE SERVICE, on top of the $400 for the 360, its about equal to the PS3's cost. And owth Home and some of the other updates, and free online play, i think its worthy of mension to Xbox live and its month fee. (yes i had xbox live with my xbox1)

The games, are great that i bought. Motorstorm is lacking on some content, but its very enjoyable especially online. Armored Core 4, well im sure it has a veyr limited audience but I enjoy it alot as the gameplay has been drastically improved and the control tightened. The demos available were a great welcome. means more i get to try before i buy. I have no blueray but with todays updates i will be tring older dvds upscaled. And the graphics... well im not one of those ppl that yell OMGZ teh GRAPHICS!!! BEST SYSTEM EVER!.... But i will say that they seem to be on par and somewhat better than the 360, especially games actually designed for the system. what that means to me is, we are looking at 1st gen games compareable to a system that is almost 2 years old. 2 years from now PS3 games will look alot better and run even more smooth than they do now. I'll admit that the PS3 will win the graphics war in my mind, but to me thats not important as Istill have the Wii in 1st by a longshot for gameplay and overall fun.

What does this mean for you? I'm going to say this, as pissed as alot of are (and yes even me) for the price of the system, and the horrible PR, give the thing a chance. Don't read every story posted and exaggerated about the death of the PS3. I think alot of us are so negative about it because of its price, and how SONY has handled things, and maybe they deserve the situation they are in right now. But their end product which is MUCH MORE reliable than the 360, and has better graphics and online play possibilites, should not be overlooked. Put aside the hate, and just look at the facts. Its a weird feeling trying to make sense of all of this, being i hated it so much not 2 months or so ago. I just dont want everyone to miss out on something for the same reasons I almost did.

Too big sig.
zeroomegazx on
«1

Posts

  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    needs more spell checker

    edit: On topic, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the PA boards and the gung-ho nintendo love and sony hate that goes around. I don't think many people really want to see sony fail because it's going to be bad for everyone. And I don't think many people would scream with agony if a PS3 console got put in front of them, especially if they had a HDTV.

    Rook on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't want to sound rude, but isn't that a blog post?

    Einhander on
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey, if I send my resume to Sony, do you think you could put in a good word for me?

    I'm kidding. I think we need to just drop the fanboy shit, and I think it's great that you like your PS3. as soon as some more games are released I'm willing to bet that you'll find a lot more people that share your point of view. (Not saying there aren't already)

    Lach on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    so are we supposed to discuss the PS3 or something now

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    QuintileQuintile Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    I don't want to sound rude, but isn't that a blog post?

    Well to be fair his blog-like post can be used to discuss some positives of PS3, since most things written about PS3 are negative.

    But it was a lot to read to find out it was basically:

    PS3 isn't as shitty as you think.

    Quintile on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    needs more spell checker

    edit: On topic, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the PA boards and the gung-ho nintendo love and sony hate that goes around. I don't think many people really want to see sony fail because it's going to be bad for everyone. And I don't think many people would scream with agony if a PS3 console got put in front of them, especially if they had a HDTV.
    I completely disagree with this. Nothing could have been worse for gamers than for Sony to discover that it could stuff any trojan tech gadget it wanted into its console at any cost and still have it sell well. The PS4 will most likely be a better (and more reasonable) console because of Sony's hubris this time around, and they'll damn well think twice about stuffing unnecessary tech into it to help drive other aspects of their business next time if it substantially adds to the cost.

    JihadJesus on
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd like to see what a thread discussing the positives of the PS3 looks like, and I'm not being sarcastic.

    Lach on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I completely disagree with this. Nothing could have been worse for gamers than for Sony to discover that it could stuff any trojan tech gadget it wanted into its console at any cost and still have it sell well. The PS4 will most likely be a better (and more reasonable) console because of Sony's hubris this time around, and they'll damn well think twice about stuffing unnecessary tech into it to help drive other aspects of their business next time if it substantially adds to the cost.

    This is why we can't have nice things.

    Einhander on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The hardware was never shitty. Reliability is great.

    360's hardware reliability is shitty... shitty shit actually

    So you're playing AC4 and Motorstorm... and the online is free! Are you Shane from 1up?

    FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    zeroomegazxzeroomegazx Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    yeah sorry for the spelling, wrote it on and off during breaks at work.


    Length is a little much but i wanted to go into a little history as to what not necessarily made me a fanboy but what went into my thoughts on the system after i gave things a fair lookover.

    zeroomegazx on
    Too big sig.
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I...I don't think I Can say anything nice about this OP because, even if it isn't, it smells of a plant. Not to mention it has worse typos than even I produce.
    I do want a PS3 but I have a 360 and a Wii and the few, very few, games the PS3 offers that the 360 doesn't I could care less about now that Lair has been torn apart :(. The sad thing is I want a PS3 more for Blu-ray than any announced exclusive titles.

    Accualt on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You never even realize a good shill was there, Accualt. They're like smoke in the night. They're coming to steal our children.

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I completely disagree with this. Nothing could have been worse for gamers than for Sony to discover that it could stuff any trojan tech gadget it wanted into its console at any cost and still have it sell well. The PS4 will most likely be a better (and more reasonable) console because of Sony's hubris this time around, and they'll damn well think twice about stuffing unnecessary tech into it to help drive other aspects of their business next time if it substantially adds to the cost.

    This is why we can't have nice things.

    Well, obviously charging $50 a year just so I can play peer-to-peer gaming is exactly what the end consumer wants.

    Rook on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    See that, I just blogged.

    Accualt on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I will admit that between the 360 and the PS3, I was completely surprised when it was the 360s that started crapping out. I haven't heard of anyone who has had any trouble with their PS3, but we get a "My 360 is broken" thread here in G&T what, once or twice a week?

    Only time will tell (as it did with the PS2's DREs and the Xbox's Thomson drives), but I still think it's pretty ironic. I think that with the cost associated with repairing a PS3 probably being considerably higher than the cost involved when you're repairing a PS2 Sony doesn't want to take a risk like that. The public has already shown that they have no problems starting class action lawsuits, and judges have shown that they have no problem supporting them.

    edit: Rook, yeah, I can't see a thing that Live has over PSN (feature wise), except for the price tag.

    Content wise it's a different story, but the PS3 has plenty of time to catch up, and it'll be interesting to see how they react to XBLA. Sony does have a pretty impressive back catalogue of PS1 and PS2 games that would make a BC digital distro program very attractive, not to mention games from other systems, or entirely new games. And with it's native support of Linux (for free, mind you), it has the definite edge over XNA.

    Einhander on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    See that, I just blogged.
    did... did it hurt?

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I completely disagree with this. Nothing could have been worse for gamers than for Sony to discover that it could stuff any trojan tech gadget it wanted into its console at any cost and still have it sell well. The PS4 will most likely be a better (and more reasonable) console because of Sony's hubris this time around, and they'll damn well think twice about stuffing unnecessary tech into it to help drive other aspects of their business next time if it substantially adds to the cost.

    This is why we can't have nice things.

    What's so bad about it? He's presenting a counterpoint to a presneted argument. He's actually trying to make some conversation out of this thread.

    SirUltimos on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's really kindof exiting to know that gaming is still about games. I know for a couple years there folks were actually pretty worried.

    Look... nobody actually thinks the PS3 is shit. When they say they what they mean is this:

    Sony isn't giving gamers what they want anymore.

    FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I haven't played PS3 online but I did pay PS2 and Xbox online. The $50 a year was well worth the improved experience I had online with Xbox than I did with PS2. From what I've read the gap between PS3 and 360's online experience isn't as big as PS2 and Xbox 1 so, awesome.

    Accualt on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    I...I don't think I Can say anything nice about this OP because, even if it isn't, it smells of a plant. Not to mention it has worse typos than even I produce.
    I do want a PS3 but I have a 360 and a Wii and the few, very few, games the PS3 offers that the 360 doesn't I could care less about now that Lair has been torn apart :(. The sad thing is I want a PS3 more for Blu-ray than any announced exclusive titles.

    I just want one A) to replace my decrepit and dying PS2 (poor thing's been through a lot of abuse) and B) for GTA4 (yes, I know it will eventually be multiplatform, leave me be). Anything else is pretty much a bonus.

    The problem is, as always, the sheer cost :|

    Ledneh on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    See that, I just blogged.
    did... did it hurt?
    It kind of did, like passing a kidney stone*. It was refreshing, in one way, since I didn't have to put any thought into what I was typing.





    *I've never passed one so it is possible the blogging hurt more.

    Accualt on
  • Options
    zeroomegazxzeroomegazx Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »
    I...I don't think I Can say anything nice about this OP because, even if it isn't, it smells of a plant. Not to mention it has worse typos than even I produce.
    I do want a PS3 but I have a 360 and a Wii and the few, very few, games the PS3 offers that the 360 doesn't I could care less about now that Lair has been torn apart :(. The sad thing is I want a PS3 more for Blu-ray than any announced exclusive titles.

    I just want one A) to replace my decrepit and dying PS2 (poor thing's been through a lot of abuse) and B) for GTA4 (yes, I know it will eventually be multiplatform, leave me be). Anything else is pretty much a bonus.

    The problem is, as always, the sheer cost :|

    yeah... cost.... i think this will be the only time in history i had buyers remose BEFORE i actually went to the checkout counter..... some of it is still lingering as well... will i ever get $600 worth of product out of it? damned if i know. it shouldda been like 450-500 max for the top end model, 360 shouldda been cheaper too, prolly wouldda been if they hadn't made 2 damn models. but oh well, i've spent money or worse things.

    zeroomegazx on
    Too big sig.
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »
    I...I don't think I Can say anything nice about this OP because, even if it isn't, it smells of a plant. Not to mention it has worse typos than even I produce.
    I do want a PS3 but I have a 360 and a Wii and the few, very few, games the PS3 offers that the 360 doesn't I could care less about now that Lair has been torn apart :(. The sad thing is I want a PS3 more for Blu-ray than any announced exclusive titles.

    I just want one A) to replace my decrepit and dying PS2 (poor thing's been through a lot of abuse) and B) for GTA4 (yes, I know it will eventually be multiplatform, leave me be). Anything else is pretty much a bonus.

    The problem is, as always, the sheer cost :|

    A). I've got a skinny PS2 so I'm set, but damn it all if I don't want Blu-Ray just for Kate Beckinsale movies. :winky:
    B). GTA4 is day and date the same for 360 and PS3. The only difference is the 360 is getting some type of "exclusive Live" content for it.

    Sheer cost is holding me back. Hell I pitched a fit about the Premium 360 being $400 and waited almost a year before getting one (picked up a used one at a good sale price).

    Accualt on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »
    I...I don't think I Can say anything nice about this OP because, even if it isn't, it smells of a plant. Not to mention it has worse typos than even I produce.
    I do want a PS3 but I have a 360 and a Wii and the few, very few, games the PS3 offers that the 360 doesn't I could care less about now that Lair has been torn apart :(. The sad thing is I want a PS3 more for Blu-ray than any announced exclusive titles.

    I just want one A) to replace my decrepit and dying PS2 (poor thing's been through a lot of abuse) and B) for GTA4 (yes, I know it will eventually be multiplatform, leave me be). Anything else is pretty much a bonus.

    The problem is, as always, the sheer cost :|

    A). I've got a skinny PS2 so I'm set, but damn it all if I don't want Blu-Ray just for Kate Beckinsale movies. :winky:
    B). GTA4 is day and date the same for 360 and PS3. The only difference is the 360 is getting some type of "exclusive Live" content for it.

    Sheer cost is holding me back. Hell I pitched a fit about the Premium 360 being $400 and waited almost a year before getting one (picked up a used one at a good sale price).

    Bluh? I thought it was the usual "PS exclusive for a few months/year, then all the others", I didn't know the 360 was getting it concurrently.

    Damnit.

    I should probably get one this weekend ANYWAY, if only because I know I'll get one eventually, and I should trade in the PS2 for extra value before it dies completely :|

    Ledneh on
  • Options
    blaklawblaklaw Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Quintile wrote: »
    PS3 isn't as shitty as you think.

    Someone call marketing. That's where Sony needs to start going for the PS3. Instead of declaring its relative astronomic value in terms of stars and planetary bodies and such.

    There are no gamers on the sun.

    blaklaw on
    XBL/PSN: blaklaw
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Feelings, nothing more than feelings
    Trying to forget my feelings of love
    Teardrops rolling down on my face
    Trying to forget my feelings of love

    Feelings, for all my life I'll feel it
    I wish I've never met you, girl
    You'll never come again
    Feeling, woo-o-o feeling
    Woo-o-o, feel you again in my arms

    Feelings, feelings like I've never lost you
    And feelings like I'll never have you again in my heart

    Feelings, for all my life I'll feel it
    I wish I've never met you, girl; you'll never come again

    Feelings, feelings like I've never lost you
    And feelings like I'll never have you again in my life

    Feelings, woo-o-o feeling it,
    woo-o-o, feeling again in my arms
    Feelings

    Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Einhander wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I completely disagree with this. Nothing could have been worse for gamers than for Sony to discover that it could stuff any trojan tech gadget it wanted into its console at any cost and still have it sell well. The PS4 will most likely be a better (and more reasonable) console because of Sony's hubris this time around, and they'll damn well think twice about stuffing unnecessary tech into it to help drive other aspects of their business next time if it substantially adds to the cost.

    This is why we can't have nice things.

    What's so bad about it? He's presenting a counterpoint to a presneted argument. He's actually trying to make some conversation out of this thread.

    It's basically saying that Sony is a greedy/bad company and they are cramming in completely unneeded tech (facts be damned) and they will fail miserably this gen, only to craft the PS4 as the ultimate apology, humbly offering a new console to satiate the consumer who was frowning at Sony and oh god it hurts to read.

    Stuff like not making consoles that break within a month or two, free online play, free regular feature packed firmware updates, and making deals with software companies to do cool stuff like adding a Blu-Ray version of a movie to a game disc for $10 extra all don't seem to fit into the equation, I guess.

    I'm sick of reading acidic "Sony is teh Devil" pieces written by people who didn't even know what the word "hubris" meant before the PS3 was released.

    Einhander on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    hubris is like that dish from scotland where it's cooked inside it's own stomach right

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »
    I...I don't think I Can say anything nice about this OP because, even if it isn't, it smells of a plant. Not to mention it has worse typos than even I produce.
    I do want a PS3 but I have a 360 and a Wii and the few, very few, games the PS3 offers that the 360 doesn't I could care less about now that Lair has been torn apart :(. The sad thing is I want a PS3 more for Blu-ray than any announced exclusive titles.

    I just want one A) to replace my decrepit and dying PS2 (poor thing's been through a lot of abuse) and B) for GTA4 (yes, I know it will eventually be multiplatform, leave me be). Anything else is pretty much a bonus.

    The problem is, as always, the sheer cost :|

    A). I've got a skinny PS2 so I'm set, but damn it all if I don't want Blu-Ray just for Kate Beckinsale movies. :winky:
    B). GTA4 is day and date the same for 360 and PS3. The only difference is the 360 is getting some type of "exclusive Live" content for it.

    Sheer cost is holding me back. Hell I pitched a fit about the Premium 360 being $400 and waited almost a year before getting one (picked up a used one at a good sale price).

    Bluh? I thought it was the usual "PS exclusive for a few months/year, then all the others", I didn't know the 360 was getting it concurrently.

    Damnit.

    I should probably get one this weekend ANYWAY, if only because I know I'll get one eventually, and I should trade in the PS2 for extra value before it dies completely :|

    Are you getting it for any specific games that are out now? If not, I'd just be patient for the inevitable price drop. That's my plan... Ratchet and Clank will still be there when I buy one for $300, and my bank account will be happier.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    If you're waiting for the PS3 to hit $300, odds are you'll be buying that Ratchet and Clank out of the bargain bin.

    Einhander on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sorry if I'm being mean, but why are we all replying to what is essentially a blog post? There's already that other Sony thread (the Business Week one) which is in heavy use already, which seems to cover essentially the same topics/conversation.

    JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

    Steam: JC_Rooks

    Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

    I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    (edit) ^^ Without the megathreads I just post wherever the conversation seems to go :shrug:
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »
    I should probably get one this weekend ANYWAY, if only because I know I'll get one eventually, and I should trade in the PS2 for extra value before it dies completely :|

    Are you getting it for any specific games that are out now? If not, I'd just be patient for the inevitable price drop. That's my plan... Ratchet and Clank will still be there when I buy one for $300, and my bank account will be happier.

    As far as the PS3 itself goes, mostly Warhawk, Ratchet and Clank, and maybe Heavenly Sword. Those are all future, though; mostly right now I just want a system that doesn't take like two minutes to load a PS2 game, and looking good while doing it would be a nice plus.

    Plus, hey, blue-ray might turn out to be quite nice v:|v

    Ledneh on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    Stuff like not making consoles that break within a month or two, free online play, free regular feature packed firmware updates, and making deals with software companies to do cool stuff like adding a Blu-Ray version of a movie to a game disc for $10 extra all don't seem to fit into the equation, I guess.

    I'm sick of reading acidic "Sony is teh Devil" pieces written by people who didn't even know what the word "hubris" meant before the PS3 was released.
    See? I don't see any 'fun' mentioned. Regardless of cost (which the PS3 is supposed to be all about right?) in the end it has to be fun for people to buy into it correct?

    Very few people (considerably less by sales numbers) see game consoles as "investments" and in the end they want to have fun.

    FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I saw my Wii as an investment. Its fun-to-dollar ratio is quite good.

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I bought 3 used Super Nintendos for 8 dollars each as an investment in my children.

    Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    Stuff like not making consoles that break within a month or two, free online play, free regular feature packed firmware updates, and making deals with software companies to do cool stuff like adding a Blu-Ray version of a movie to a game disc for $10 extra all don't seem to fit into the equation, I guess.

    I'm with you on the first one. The second one...meh, if Sony had something worth charging for I'm sure they would. MS puts out free firmware updates as well, they don't pump them out as often as Sony but then most of the features Sony adds with each firmware are features the 360 has all ready. And, come on, that is a gimmick to get people to buy the PS3 version of a multi platform game. It may be cool but it isn't like they are doing it out of the good of their hearts. (P.S. Is it HD? I've heard stuff about there being no Blu-Ray version of the movie because they have an HD DVD only contract so the included movie will be SD. I never cared to look into it since I've never seen the movie.)
    I don't hate Sony or the PS3, btw. I don't think they are villains. I do think they are a company trying to make money who just happens to be a bit out of touch with the market.

    Accualt on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Face, I don't understand what you're getting at.

    The PS3 would only be an investment if it didn't have games you could go out in a store right now and buy. Since it does, then I don't see how it's an investment, unless you don't consider any of the games released so far to be any good.

    edit: I'm pretty sure Hard Boiled will be HD/1080p.

    edit2: I know they're not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts, but they're realising that you can't crap out a substandard piece of electronics (especially one with a pricetag so high), so they're taking a much better approach than they did with the PS2, and what Microsoft did with the 360.

    Einhander on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I saw my Wii as an investment. Its fun-to-dollar ratio is quite good.
    so you get what I'm saying then... I think

    that the reason nobody cares about the free online, 'feature rich' firmware updates and whatever other added functionality of the PS3 is because in the end it doesn't have a library

    and when it does have a library those things will still be 'nice extras'

    kinda like the Media Center Externder on the 360

    FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    JCRooks wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm being mean, but why are we all replying to what is essentially a blog post? There's already that other Sony thread (the Business Week one) which is in heavy use already, which seems to cover essentially the same topics/conversation.

    This was my initial reaction as well yet I've been post, post, posting all over this thread. I guess I'm bored.

    Accualt on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ledneh wrote: »
    (edit) ^^ Without the megathreads I just post wherever the conversation seems to go :shrug:
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »
    I should probably get one this weekend ANYWAY, if only because I know I'll get one eventually, and I should trade in the PS2 for extra value before it dies completely :|

    Are you getting it for any specific games that are out now? If not, I'd just be patient for the inevitable price drop. That's my plan... Ratchet and Clank will still be there when I buy one for $300, and my bank account will be happier.

    As far as the PS3 itself goes, mostly Warhawk, Ratchet and Clank, and maybe Heavenly Sword. Those are all future, though; mostly right now I just want a system that doesn't take like two minutes to load a PS2 game, and looking good while doing it would be a nice plus.

    Plus, hey, blue-ray might turn out to be quite nice v:|v

    Gotcha. I'd still wait on the off chance that the games turn into disappointments, but that's just me. Then again, I also talk people out of buying Wiis if there isn't a specific game out already they're interested in.

    Yeah, I know I've got a long wait ahead of me for the $300 price point. But at least I'll unquestionably get $300 worth of fun out of it by then.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
This discussion has been closed.