As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When you have to stay at home, it's time for [BAD FOOD]

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Drez wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    my dad has put worcestershire on every burger he's ever made for the last thirty years

but while it's still cooking, or like

I mean, I do this a lot with, say, ground beef of shaved streak that I’ve just browned. This was in my non-stick pan. Basically I brown the mean and then I dump a half a bottle of Wistershemler sauce on the meat, let it liquify, and pour into into my avacado-pasta health shake. It’s a good pick me up for those 3AM videogaming sessions.

There's some pan cooking techniques which are liquid friendly and some that aren't but generally if you're trying to get a sear on something it's best to avoid adding anything runny to the pan.
    Avocado pasta shakes go with anything, of course.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Cheese just overpowers most other flavors and textures too easily in high volumes.

It's why I won't eat an extra cheese pizza. What's the point. All you taste is the cheese at that point.

I haven't eaten extra cheese pizza in like 20 years. Or really anything that has large chunks of mozzarella on it.
    I have trouble dealing with large quantities of it. Like I just end up chewing it forever and ever and there's never any less of it and I can't swallow and I've almost choked it several times, so now I don't bother.
    Cheese in general is real good though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I brought my parents' old 80s microwave with me to college, and it apparently had some power source that was later banned by international treaty, because it was several times more powerful than any other microwave I've ever owned. The first time I tried to make bagel bites in it, I followed the instructions on the box and they actually caught fire. Which was a fun way to meet everyone else in my freshman dorm at 10 PM.
    My sister and I, independently when watching American Hustle exclaimed that the microwave was the exact one our grandparents had until like, 2010.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    my dad has put worcestershire on every burger he's ever made for the last thirty years

I mean, I do this a lot with, say, ground beef of shaved streak that I’ve just browned. This was in my non-stick pan. Basically I brown the mean and then I dump a half a bottle of Wistershemler sauce on the meat, let it liquify, and pour into into my avacado-pasta health shake. It’s a good pick me up for those 3AM videogaming sessions.

I need a more thorough explanation of this.

It's called an overactive imagination. And/or insanity.

But yeah I do often just kind of saute (I guess?) in a "robust" amount of Worsteshire sauce sometimes.

I literally used an entire bottle of teriyaki sauce to make this a week or two ago:

2medik99ewxb.png

That's 20.5 oz of teriyaki sauce.

It was a lot of food but too much teriyaki sauce.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    There's a pizza place next to me that makes you shit your pants and I kind of want to get it

it's right next door!

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Close to home is important in that scenario!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    does consuming the pizza cause bowel movement or do they require you to shit your pants in front of them before they will sell their pizza to you

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

I need a more thorough explanation of this.

It's called an overactive imagination. And/or insanity.

But yeah I do often just kind of saute (I guess?) in a "robust" amount of Worsteshire sauce sometimes.

I literally used an entire bottle of teriyaki sauce to make this a week or two ago:

2medik99ewxb.png

That's 20.5 oz of teriyaki sauce.

It was a lot of food but too much teriyaki sauce.

Next time you do something like this, try using a 50% dilution of the sauce you like and water and let the water boil out over a few minutes.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I brought my parents' old 80s microwave with me to college, and it apparently had some power source that was later banned by international treaty, because it was several times more powerful than any other microwave I've ever owned. The first time I tried to make bagel bites in it, I followed the instructions on the box and they actually caught fire. Which was a fun way to meet everyone else in my freshman dorm at 10 PM.
    My sister and I, independently when watching American Hustle exclaimed that the microwave was the exact one our grandparents had until like, 2010.

Did you put metal in the science oven? This is important.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    BTW, this is how my steak came out:

l6izl7i5brjd.png
    b7mfih6bn23h.png
    npp3bnaz6cxc.png
    z140x7m0ttbp.png

I mostly used your recommended method, @webguy20.

Drez on
  • Options
    That is a very good looking steak!

Unfortunately all your points are docked for the plastic fork.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    That is a very good looking steak!

Unfortunately all your points are docked for the plastic fork.

Yes...I know. I posted all that on Facebook and Instagram and I already self-deprecatingly and preemptively apologized for it.

Ironically, my new cutlery set is currently sitting in a package downstairs, but due to COVID policies in my building, I had to wait before picking it up. I should be able to grab it now.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hhhhmmmm. Might have to buy steak this weekend! Looks damned tasty Drez. The pan clean up good?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hhhhmmmm. Might have to buy steak this weekend! Looks damned tasty Drez. The pan clean up good?

Looks like a cast iron, so the best thing to do is of course to put in in the dishwasher for three cycles, then soak it in a saltwater bath for a week, before leaving it to air dry in a damp cupboard.

• Options

Indeedly doodly - I threw the contents in the sink and put a teensy bit of water in. Using a paper towel it cleaned up in seconds. It looks basically brand new.

• Options
    Also, the only thing I diverged from your suggestion on was the taters for tonight. I personally don't like using my full oven if I can avoid it so I ended up just baking two potatoes for 40 minutes in my air fryer. It's not the first time I've baked potatoes in my air fryer. Came out amazing. A tiny bit of PAM and some salt. No preheat needed. Just 40 minutes at 400 degrees, turning them after 25 minutes. So. Damned. Good. And the perfect compliment to a steam like this.

The potatoes didn't make it into my pictures because I slightly mistimed the completion of the potatoes and the steak by 5 minutes so when the baked potatoes were done I skipped the pic and went straight to the eatin'.

But honestly, I literally like almost romantically love my air fryer. But don't worry, I prefer to put my meat on the cast iron. Which I also now love.

• Options
    Also, the only thing I diverged from your suggestion on was the taters for tonight. I personally don't like using my full oven if I can avoid it so I ended up just baking two potatoes for 40 minutes in my air fryer. It's not the first time I've baked potatoes in my air fryer. Came out amazing. A tiny bit of PAM and some salt. No preheat needed. Just 40 minutes at 400 degrees, turning them after 25 minutes. So. Damned. Good. And the perfect compliment to a steam like this.

The potatoes didn't make it into my pictures because I slightly mistimed the completion of the potatoes and the steak by 5 minutes so when the baked potatoes were done I skipped the pic and went straight to the eatin'.

But honestly, I literally like almost romantically love my air fryer. But don't worry, I prefer to put my meat on the cast iron. Which I also now love.

I have been seriously tempted on getting an air fryer. Which model do you have?

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of using the microwave + oven for baked potatoes. Cuts down on the total time you've got the oven running, but still results in fairly crispy skin. Usually about 7 minutes in the microwave and 25 minutes in the oven at 400.

• Options
    edited May 2020

I have a 4.2 quart Secura and I love it. The controls are two dials: time and temp. I prefer the elegance of simplicity over digital readouts and displays.

It looks like right now on Amazon, the 5.3 quart is $3 less than the 4.2, though.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    There's a pizza place next to me that makes you shit your pants and I kind of want to get it

it's right next door!

Get it and report on the results

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My brother made mashed potatoes with heavy cream
    It was kind of restrtaunt quality but it needed something

• Options
    We had spicy Indian food at Europax in Edinburgh and only one toilet

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I made tacos tonight and wanted to try making a home made crunchwrap supreme.

I used a taco shell snapped in half for the tostada.

It was totally amazing.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaSC7qVRL0w

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

hotchocolatehighvelocity.mp4.gifv.webm.avi.mov.swf

• Options
    Does anyone here have experience growing chili peppers because I grew one last year which was advertised as a "mild chili pepper", yet eating it off the plant was almost too much too handle

Can't imagine what the hot ones would've been like

• Options
    Does anyone here have experience growing chili peppers because I grew one last year which was advertised as a "mild chili pepper", yet eating it off the plant was almost too much too handle

Can't imagine what the hot ones would've been like

Sometimes peppers of the same variety vary wildly in spiciness. I've had Jalapenos that barely tickled the tongue, and others that scorched the pallet. If I remember correctly most of the spice lives in the seeds and ribs of the peppers, so cut those out for milder flavors

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah spice levels are usually an average, seeds are mucho maxo heat, and fresh chillis will be noticeably hotter than dried, so if it's too much you can try drying it and seeing if that mellows it. (Blistering over direct flame will also sweeten and smooth out the flavour).

• Options
    edited May 2020

Sorry, I have been playing Civilization VI with my roommate and his girlfriend for like the last 5 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GJBBGHG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's the COSORI 5.8 qt one. I love it. It's one of the best things I've ever bought, no exaggeration.

I think there may also be a wifi enabled model now, too. Same thing basically with wifi so you can (I assume) remotely control it.

I feel like 5.8 qt is a good size. You can fit about 4 burgers in there. I made a 2-3 serving size pan of baked ziti in it. Etc. I can post some photos in the morning if you want.

I've made 2 frozen bubba burgers (on one side of the basket) + a whole batch of frozen fries (on the other half of the basket) in one batch a few times and they came out great.

Smaller is definitely fine, but the 5.8 seems to be the "just right" size for me.

edit: I will say that I rarely use any of the presets. So all those features are kinda irrelevant once you figure out the right times and temps and shakes for your typical meals.

By shakes I mean that, similar to a deep fryer (I gather, since I've never had or used one), you should shake certain items about half way through. Like fries.

But honestly, you can just toss a bunch of shit and lay it all over each other and it'll almost always still cook fine. I did this with those paprika fries I made weeks ago. I don't even remember if I shook them halfway through cooking. I just tossed them in and cooked.

Drez on
  • Options
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I used a cast iron pan for steak the other day. I didn't realise it was cast iron and have never used one before so didn't know how heavy they are. I casually tried to pick it up like a normal pan and thought I'd had a stroke.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    BTW, this is how my steak came out:
    l6izl7i5brjd.png

That's how we like 'em

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of using the microwave + oven for baked potatoes. Cuts down on the total time you've got the oven running, but still results in fairly crispy skin. Usually about 7 minutes in the microwave and 25 minutes in the oven at 400.

Just keep some paper towels handy for the microwave, the potato releases a ton of steam and it's just all liquid in there afterward.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I used a cast iron pan for steak the other day. I didn't realise it was cast iron and have never used one before so didn't know how heavy they are. I casually tried to pick it up like a normal pan and thought I'd had a stroke.

Yeah they're great, they double as a home defense weapon if someone breaks in while you're cooking. Fling hot grease in their face and then cave their skull in.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    jfc these cooking videos are out of control.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO ADD SALT TO CANNED CHILI OR FRITOS I PROMISE YOU.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Gordon Ramsay absolutely fucked up making a frito pie, It's actually kinda nauseating.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    My first thought was "I do not trust Gordon Ramsay anywhere near a frito pie" but then clicked through to the ingredients and saw that he was using canned chili and Velveeta and thought "Damn, I may have misjudged you, Gordon Ramsay."

Good to hear that my initial instincts were correct.

Edit: WAIT WHAT ARE THOSE EGGS DOING

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    What are his fucking kidneys made out of to eat that much salt?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.