As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's MARVEL, baybee. X-Men on fire! Black Widow in May! Sam and Bucky in August!

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Ah, that makes much more sense. I've definitely seen people using the wands at parks in Orlando. Disney... Eh, outside of Epcot during food and wine festival and star wars, they don't have much appeal. Though drinking around the world is a marathon, not a sprint, lol.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Calling 30 bucks a microtransaction really stretches the definition of micro.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Compared to the total cost of a park visit these days...

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    For context on this - Universal has most of the Marvel theme park rights on the east coast, and has a (really great, in my opinion) Spider-Man ride already.

After the Disney news they tweeted this:

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Yeah, that makes sense. Cuz it's not like going to a park was expensive as shit as it was. My only saving grace is that Disney can't use Marvel stuff in its Florida parks, but this is definitely going to give the people at Universal ideas on how to monetize the rides.

I've seen someone else mention this before. Why is this the case?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Yeah, that makes sense. Cuz it's not like going to a park was expensive as shit as it was. My only saving grace is that Disney can't use Marvel stuff in its Florida parks, but this is definitely going to give the people at Universal ideas on how to monetize the rides.

I've seen someone else mention this before. Why is this the case?

Because Marvel sold their theme park rights on the east coast to Universal long before Disney bought Marvel.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    It’s a little more complicated, because the Guardians are going to have a ride at EPCOT.

But yeah, Universal basically has all the Marvel theme park rights east of the Mississippi.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Yeah, they haven't really added any new Marvel rides or attractions to Universal in Orlando, but the Spider-Man and Hulk rides are both really well regarded so they're not...likely to go anywhere anytime soon. But there are a lot of Marvel properties they haven't used, so they can have the Guardians at EPCOT or whatever.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Yeah, they haven't really added any new Marvel rides or attractions to Universal in Orlando, but the Spider-Man and Hulk rides are both really well regarded so they're not...likely to go anywhere anytime soon. But there are a lot of Marvel properties they haven't used, so they can have the Guardians at EPCOT or whatever.

The modern Guardians of the Galaxy were likely not part of the original deal, given they didn't exist yet and the old Guardians were probably fairly obscure. Unless the deal was for a blanket "Every character who has ever appeared in Marvel Comics", which is a bad deal, but it wouldn't be the first bad licensing deal Marvel ever made, so.. you know.

• Options
    well, they have a giant MODOK head on one of the buildings, so presumably they can't have a MODOK ride at Disney World

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    If you're not allowed to use MODOK I totally understand and agree with it not even being worth the effort of trying

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Hulk just got refurbished and is a top tier coaster. Spider-Man is really fun, and as a continuous ride, the line is always moving. Doom launches you into the air, and is probably one of more nerve wracking rides in the park because they make you wait for it, lol. Don't think I've ever been on the Storm ride, so I have no idea what it does. And they have character actors come through from time to time. Long time ago, maybe twenty years? ago, I went with a few friends of mine and as we were sitting in one of the bars close to the bazaar, the Spider-Man actor came in. A friend of mine told the guy at the bar next to him that he'd buy his drinks of he smacked Spidey on the butt. Dude, this guy cracked off a shot on this poor actors ass, sounded like he hit him with a belt. I thought he was gonna get decked the way the actor spun around.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I'd guess that the Marvel deal isn't in perpetuity and that's likely why Universal hasn't gone apeshit with the properties over the last decade

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    What's also fun is that Universal in Florida has a whole section of the park themed around the Simpsons, so presumably Disney couldn't do anything with them in the parks either. Though at that one I'd imagine they'd be more content to let Universal sell their merch for them, since there's not an obvious fit for the Simpsons anywhere at Disney World

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Storm's ride (Storm Force Accelatron) is basically teacups with fans blowing on you. I think there might be thunder sounds and strobes as well.

Storm's ride is very skippable, but it's nice to have an option for if a member of your party doesn't want to ride Hulk.

And here's a fun fact that nobody asked for: The rollercoaster from the beginning of House on Haunted Hill (1999) is actually The Incredible Hulk Coaster! Islands of Adventure was opened the year it was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G239i3zcJCg

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    I'd guess that the Marvel deal isn't in perpetuity and that's likely why Universal hasn't gone apeshit with the properties over the last decade

https://www.tampabay.com/fun/heres-why-walt-disney-world-will-likely-never-get-a-marvel-theme-park-20190614/

"Universal Studios had already secured the rights to Marvel for its Orlando theme parks, and Disney CEO Bob Iger at the time acknowledged that Universal retained those rights as long as they continued to pay royalty checks to Marvel. And there's no sign of Universal giving up that golden ticket."

Sounds like it's in perpetuity as long as Universal continues to make their payments.

And relevant to other conversation, "Neither company has confirmed it publicly, but speculation has been that Disney and Universal came to a legal understanding that allows Disney to use characters not currently referenced inside Universal Orlando's Islands of Adventure for Walt Disney World attractions. That's why Disney is building a Guardians of the Galaxy roller coaster at Epcot, slated to open next year."

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »

https://www.tampabay.com/fun/heres-why-walt-disney-world-will-likely-never-get-a-marvel-theme-park-20190614/

"Universal Studios had already secured the rights to Marvel for its Orlando theme parks, and Disney CEO Bob Iger at the time acknowledged that Universal retained those rights as long as they continued to pay royalty checks to Marvel. And there's no sign of Universal giving up that golden ticket."

Sounds like it's in perpetuity as long as Universal continues to make their payments.

And relevant to other conversation, "Neither company has confirmed it publicly, but speculation has been that Disney and Universal came to a legal understanding that allows Disney to use characters not currently referenced inside Universal Orlando's Islands of Adventure for Walt Disney World attractions. That's why Disney is building a Guardians of the Galaxy roller coaster at Epcot, slated to open next year."

I could hypothetically believe Universal would sell the rights if there was a big enough renovation they wanted to do that moving to a different property might be worth cashing out.

I don't think it'll happen for a long time. Long enough that Disney might not offer as much as they want because the properties might not be worth what Universal would want.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Universal's building an entire new park in Florida and they've got other sections of their existing two parks that they'd likely tear down before they got around to taking out the Marvel section. Honestly, looking at what Disney is doing with their Spider-Man ride, Universal might still have a solid claim to having the best Spider-Man ride, anyways.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Yeah I dont know who would mourn Cartoon Lagoon if it vanished one day

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Yeah I dont know who would mourn Cartoon Lagoon if it vanished one day

The two rides are great, granted Ripsaw falls could use a redo of the animatronics on it.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Speaking of MODOK, we've watched the first 2 episodes of the new show on Hulu and it's pretty darned great.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Gonna need a new thread soon, and Zoe's not around to make the OP. Who wants to step up?

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    MODOK was a ton of fun, I really wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    MODOK was a pretty fun. Nothing amazingly laugh out loud, but I definitely got a few laughs.

Super minor episode 1 spoilers
    Fin Fang Farm to Table was a great joke

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Gonna need a new thread soon, and Zoe's not around to make the OP. Who wants to step up?

Well, given the news..

🚨 #Disney looking to acquire #DCComics & have them join #Marvel Studios 🚨

BREAKING STORY: https://t.co/f2IT9CMk5e https://t.co/9ByudfryMb

Marvel thread might just become obsolete.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Oh dang if OnSmash(?) confirmed it then it's basically official, right?

• Options
    I mean looking doesnt mean theyll get it but At&T is run by fucking idiots so who knows

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Marvel Phase Five: Amaglam Universe, lead by Darkclaw. Directed by Zack Snyder.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    What the hell is “OnSmash”?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

l3eoy8r9eb2p.png

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Yes, YES, FUCK NO

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Joolander wrote: »

Hey they're fake verified so they gotta be legit

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    If you’re doing Amalgam it stands to reason you have to get two directors who alternate scenes.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »

Yes, YES, FUCK NO

https://youtu.be/GWfQD72nNB8

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    If you’re doing Amalgam it stands to reason you have to get two directors who alternate scenes.

Or, you get Dickie Whittaker to direct...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQEKWUJIqYw

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Who wants some Eternals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WVDKZJkGlY

very different tone than I was expecting?

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    The Ancient Aliens weirdo from the History Channel is having the best day of his life

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'll admit I'm intrigued

But so many things have ripped off the idea of the eternals, I worry it will feel like it is ripping off something or feel derivative

This discussion has been closed.