As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, [Movie]

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I was trying to find something on Shudder to watch besides Blood Machines before my trial expires, but most of this stuff either seems too schlocky or too much. I usually like stuff like It Follows and You're Next, clever horror.

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but Sweet Sweet Lonely Girl is pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAsoKUiY_7k

edit; Well, that's a preview image.
    edit2; Less exciting preview image courtesy to the trailer on Shudder's official channel.

That gives me a Suspiria vibe.

wVEsyIc.png
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I never did 'watch the exact same movie back to back over and over again' as a kid. I just don't get it. My nieces and nephews did it with finding nemo and astroboy. I always did morning/afternoon cartoons when younger. Granted you got reruns, but you got variety at least. I get liking a genre, but just a single movie?

I did it once with Mary Poppins when I was sick and my mom never allowed it again. I think she would have destroyed the vhs tape if it had been ours and not borrowed. My brother watched The Old Man and the Sea many, many times as a very young child (I have no idea), but never more than once at a time, and maybe only a couple of times a week? But it’s such a calm movie, I don’t think any of the rest of us cared how much he watched it.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    a
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I was trying to find something on Shudder to watch besides Blood Machines before my trial expires, but most of this stuff either seems too schlocky or too much. I usually like stuff like It Follows and You're Next, clever horror.

You saw One Cut of the Dead and the creepshow anthology right?

blood quantum is also really good

Nope, tempting though. I heard Hell House LLC is also great.

I've been meaning to watch the OG Texas Chainsaw, but I'm worried I don't have the stomach for it.

What about Night of the Living Deb?

(speaking as a person who has been paying for a Shudder subscription for most of a year now and watches shit-tier horror often)

Night of the Living Deb was fun.

Hell House LLC (the whole series) is worth watching if you're into no-budget found footage horror. It's good that but terrible anything else.

I'd recommend trying Hell House LLC. If you like it then Shudder has a lot of content for you to enjoy. If you don't then don't renew that shit because you don't need it.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    as a self-described non fan of horror, I rather liked April Fool's Day (the 1986 version).
    It's got some great twists, and by the end, everyone gets "got."
    Including the viewer, after a fashion.

Commander Zoom on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Been wanting to watch Frozen 2, but with having an 8-month old daughter im saving it because I know I'll probably be watching it roughly 8 billion times in a few years.

This is why I am planning to get my niece Ghibli movies. One can only hear Under The Sea so many times in a day before you decide you are eating out at Red Lobster.
    But what if she becomes a weeb? Sometimes you have to make sacrifices

Got to get started corrupting the youth early.

steam_sig.png
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    They recently showed Some Like It Hot, a film I've seen a few times but never enjoyed as much as I felt I ought to. We watched it last night, and yes, it's funny and charming and witty... but I still bounce off of it to some extent, because I don't particularly care about what's happening on screen. Give me The Apartment, give me Sunset Boulevard: both of these pull me in, I care about the characters, but Some Like It Hot... It's definitely not the film, it's me, but I don't think I'll ever experience the film even halfway the way that those do who love it. I think I must lack a certain receptor in my brain. *plays sad ukulele*

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I wish we had QI in the US. I love that show. Just clever funny people being delightful and cheeky.
    You can try the weekly podcast No Such Thing As A Fish, which is the QI elves (and various guests) running through their four favourite facts* from the last week.

It's essentially the inverse of the show. Instead of having professional comedians who are very clever and frequently derail into hilarious jokes, they have professional researchers who are very funny and frequently derail into hilarious facts - so you get a much more dense "interesting things per minute" ratio while still being delightful and cheeky.

(* - I say "four" because that's how they introduce the podcast. What actually happens is they find and share those four facts with the rest of the QI elf team by Tuesday each week, and then spend Wed-Thu going down various rabbit warrens of related research. So when they sit down on Friday to record the show, they're armed to the teeth with more facts than you can shake a moderately-sized stick at.)

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Been wanting to watch Frozen 2, but with having an 8-month old daughter im saving it because I know I'll probably be watching it roughly 8 billion times in a few years.

You're not wrong. My roommates have a 2 1/2 year old and I shit you not I think she has seen Frozen/Frozen 2 over 100 times.

I don't understand how because math but... yeah, it's a thing

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I tried watching a Steven Seagal movie called Into the Sun just as a background movie but it's a dumpster fire that tried to copy the 70's movie The Yakuza. This mid 2000's movie that feels like a japanese TV show but in a movie with laughable greenscreen moments and cheap sets despite being filmed in japan and thailand, and this is Seagal literally being the Will Sasso MadTV parody without an ounce of self awareness as he waxes philosophic. And while there's a clear rise and then sharp decline with Seagal, he was still doing decently up to Exit Wounds, and stuff like this is just a massive nosedive. The fight scenes are so poorly made and edited that you could make a strong case production assistants should have been paid as stuntmen because they were the ones moving vending machines to make it look like Seagal was slamming a dude's head into it because you never see the impact or either actor's face. Man, that period of transition in 2004-2008 between CRT to LCD and 480 to 720 and CGI being affordable but not yet effortless looks so more dated than something like a movie from 1980 compared to 1989, sad!

I saw a dude go over a recent film of Seagal's and oh sweet jesus was it bad. Like as you said SNL MAD TV parody bad.

I caught a Seagal film on TV ages ago. It looked terrible, not just in terms of it's plot, but how it was made. I think I got more entertainment out of spotting the continuity errors.

One car chase had the bad guys' car turn from a car, to a jeep, back to a car in one single chase. One of the fights had someone get slashed by a knife that went from the shoulder across the chest. I thought to myself "there's no way they remember which way that slash goes" and sure enough, next cut in the fight, the slash had changed position on the body.

Nobody cared about the film (the plot was something a 8 year old comes up with when playing with his toy soliders).

PSN Fleety2009
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The most fun I ever had with Seagal movies was the way the titles used to be written so you could put them after "Steven Seagal is...", which the covers did.

Steven Seagal is Hard to Kill
    Steven Seagal is Above the Law
    Steven Seagal is Out for Justice
    Steven Seagal is Marked for Death
    Steven Seagal is Under Siege

Etc.

Alright, Under Siege was decent enough. But yeesh, he's not generally a sign of quality.

And apparently he holds three citizenships? Blimey.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Isn't Seagal like, huge in Eastern Europe or something? He's been in a ton of those straight to DVD action movies.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    The most fun I ever had with Seagal movies was the way the titles used to be written so you could put them after "Steven Seagal is...", which the covers did.

Steven Seagal is Hard to Kill
    Steven Seagal is Above the Law
    Steven Seagal is Out for Justice
    Steven Seagal is Marked for Death
    Steven Seagal is Under Siege

Etc.

Alright, Under Siege was decent enough. But yeesh, he's not generally a sign of quality.

And apparently he holds three citizenships? Blimey.
    Steven Seagal is...

Straight to Video.

sig.gif
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Isn't Seagal like, huge in Eastern Europe or something? He's been in a ton of those straight to DVD action movies.

Modern Steven Seagal is pretty huge overall.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Modern Steven Seagal is pretty huge overall.

A modern day Brando

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Mandy is on Shudder

watch that

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

You're not wrong. My roommates have a 2 1/2 year old and I shit you not I think she has seen Frozen/Frozen 2 over 100 times.

I’m guessing part of it is that its so easy to replay a streaming movie, even children can navigate the menus.

Or DVDs which could play the movie over and over again no problem.

While VHS had an enforced intermission while it rewound allowing the child to be distracted by other things.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Mandy is on Shudder

watch that

I have. I didn't like it as much as I wanted to, but I loved the style.

wVEsyIc.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I remember after Wing Commander III came out, Tom Wilson said finally not everyone called him Biff... occasionally someone would call him Maniac instead :lol:

I remember after Wing Commander III came out, Tom Wilson said finally not everyone called him Biff... occasionally someone would call him Maniac instead :lol:

"How many people here know about the maniac!?
    Oh what, nobody?"

wVEsyIc.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

There was some weird scheme where he was like the only person behind the films he does. I dunno the quality and actors in the movies are getting worse so I have to imagine he's not anywhere near what he once was.

He probably just invested in something like google accidentally and is living off of that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

I knew him as Maniac first! I played WC3 and 4 a dozen times before I somehow saw BTTF!

I remember telling my older brother hey look it's Maniac.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Seagal is super racist and like 10 different costars have accused him of sexual harassment or rape.

steam_sig.png
    Seagal is super racist and like 10 different costars have accused him of sexual harassment or rape.

The man had a literal sex dungeon

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

Everyone I've known with a sex dungeon has been very good about consent.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    redx wrote: »

How many people do you know with a sex dungeon...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

at least 4, and another with a semi permanent outdoor event space.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.

at least 4, and another with a semi permanent outdoor event space.

Clearly you hang out with the fun people. I don't even know people with basements.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    People I know who are into that lifestyle to build actual sex furniture / rooms are the most respectful sexually positive I've ever met.

His sex dungeon was not built with consent in mind

His sex dungeon was not built with consent in mind

Oh, so just a literal dungeon :bigfrown:

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

"How many people here know about the maniac!?
    Oh what, nobody?"

"Isn't that the guy from Star Wars?"

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I’m guessing part of it is that its so easy to replay a streaming movie, even children can navigate the menus.

Or DVDs which could play the movie over and over again no problem.

While VHS had an enforced intermission while it rewound allowing the child to be distracted by other things.

As someone who took care of kids during the VHS era, it was no different.

I don't think I ever realized Victor Fleming directed both Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz (though not wholly, on either film), both of which not only came out the same year, but were both nominated for Best Picture

That's crazy

Also, legendary silent film and early sound film director “King Vidor” (Wizard of Oz, Duel in the Sun, War and Peace) does not seem like the kind of name or person you’d get from a swampy East Texas backwater lumbermill, but there ya go.

I mean, his family was loaded, after all. You know what town he was from?

Vidor.

That’s how rich his family was.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Steven Seagal is deep, deep in Russian corruption. He's buddies with Putin and his "unpaid" "special representative" position in the Russian government gets him all the kickbacks and probably sex and attention that he could want.

He's authoritarian scum, a fascist bootlicker.

Mayabird on
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Steven Seagal is deep, deep in Russian corruption. He's buddies with Putin and his "unpaid" "special representative" position in the Russian government gets him all the kickbacks and probably sex and attention that he could want.

He's authoritarian scum, a fascist bootlicker.

Also, WTF is going on with his facial hair?

That beard is a war crime

PSN: Canadian_llama

My ex once critiqued Fifty Shades of Grey as boring because, and I quote, "he didn't even have a sex dungeon."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

My ex once critiqued Fifty Shades of Grey as boring because, and I quote, "he didn't even have a sex dungeon."

The folks I know in the BDSM community equate fans of Fifty shades to people who play Farmville and think they are gamers.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Can good movies not have memorable bits? I remember I liked the Transporter when it came out but I can't remember any action scenes from it besides Jason Statham kicking down a door. I remember I liked the comedy Spy when I watched it but I can't remember any jokes from it now besides McCarthy's undercover disguise being a frumpy cat lady.
    ytvrkjxlsnth.jpg

This discussion has been closed.